THREE

August Rain

 


It was just a usual dinner at home. But Luhan always considered that it was a perfect time to talk about things. Back home in China, Luhan’s nanny, or Ling’s mother, often told him to sit down on the dining table and discuss things with his parents while having their meals. She always believed that it could strengthen the bond between family members. And somehow it worked for Luhan; so he kept it as a habit. And in Seoul, lunch or dinner would be a perfect time for Luhan and Ling to talk over things. And tonight, Luhan noticed that Ling had barely touched her dinner.

 

Ling…” The girl stopped her chopsticks mid-way to . “You’re not eating your food. Are you okay?

 

She sighed and put her chopsticks on the table before replying, “I’m fine… just a little bit full.

 

It made Luhan frowning. “Did someone take you out for some snacks this afternoon?

 

Timidly, she replied, “Hmm… Mr. Oh did.

 

Wait, what? “Eh?Sehun took Ling out. “He did?” Ling nodded. How did he manage to do that? “And you said yes?

 

Hmmm… should I refuse?

 

Luhan quickly shook his head. “No, it’s just a little surprising that you agreed.” He smiled. “You always refuse invitations from the guys.

 

Well, he told me that he has something important to talk about.

 

That sneaky little brat. But Luhan understood why Sehun gave out the ‘something important talk’ reason, knowing that Sehun might be telling her about the promotion for replacing Hana’s position. But he had promised the lad not to talk with Ling before the younger one did. “So what was this IMPORTANT matter?

 

Well… we were just talking. He was asking about me and my previous job” she shook her head “Nothing’s important.When will Sehun told her the news?

 

But imagining Ling replied Sehun with short sentences, Luhan couldn’t help but to smile; he knew very well that Ling talked so few except with him. So it might be entertaining to see their conversation. He was imagining it would be like:

 

‘Sehun: So… how’s your day?

Ling: Fine.’

 

Awkward silence.

 

‘Sehun: Hmm… you were working for Luhan’s father before, right?

Ling: Yes.

Sehun: Was it hard?

Ling: No.’

 

Another awkward silence.

 

‘Sehun: What did you do as his executive assistant?

Ling: Just like another secretary does.’

 

At that point, Luhan was sure that he would be laughing if he was there. He could imagine how Sehun felt; frustrated. No one could open her up like he did. But please not be mistaken, Ling was nice but very timid and shy.

 

I see. But speaking of job, how do you find it at Wu Enterprise?

 

Hmm…” Ling seemed to give a thought for a while. “It’s fine. It’s not as strict as you told me before.

 

And your bosses?

 

It brought frown on Ling’s face. “Who do you mean? I thought you ARE my boss.

 

Well, I’m not the only one, in case you haven’t heard” she tilted her head, feeling confused “Eh?” “There’s higher power than me, remember?

 

Ah… CEO Kim?” Luhan chuckled to hear the name but agreeing the reply. “So how is he?

 

He…hmm…” She bit her chopsticks. “He’s fine.” Ling dropped her gaze, not noticing that a slight smirk came to Luhan’s face.

 

Just fine?” Luhan raised his brow.

 

Ling tilted her head, feeling confuse. “Should I say another word to describe?

 

Should you?Oh gosh, this girl is so innocent, Luhan laughed. “I think you should, Ling.

 

Ling purged her lips and heaved a sigh. “What should I say? He’s kinda scaring me, actually.

 

Suho?” Luhan raised his brow. So, someone was actually afraid of Suho.Well, that was new. “Why?

 

Ling just shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m just scared of him…” She seemed wanting to say something but then hesitated and just went silent.

 

Luhan leaned forward and smirked teasingly. “Maybe it’s because you like him?

 

The words made Ling flustered. “Huh? No, no, no. What make you think so? I don’t like him, Gege” realizing that she was a little bit panicking, Ling exhaled. “Probably it’s because he’s our boss. Honestly, I don’t dislike him. But I really prefer to stay away from him.

 

But Luhan surely felt unconvinced by her answers. In some parts, he felt that Ling seemed to hold back. But he only sighed.  “If you say so… as long as you don’t get in trouble.

 

What kind of trouble?

 

Luhan quickly put up an innocent smile. “Nothing. Don’t mind what I’ve said” he took a piece of meat and put it in Ling’s bowl. “Finish your food and help me packing. I haven’t packed anything for my business trip tomorrow.

 

Ling just smiled. “Okay.

 


 

Ling

 

*knock, knock*

 

Ling looked up from the reports that she worked on; a smiling female member of Luhan’s team was standing at her door. “Everyone’s leaving. Will you too?”

 

Ling shifted her gaze from her co-worker to the clock on her laptop and back. It was already five and she realized that the working hour had finished. “I will.” She looked back to her table where as reports were still spread on her desk; a reminder that she would need to work overtime—again. “Soon.”

 

She smiled. “Alright. I’ll be going then. See you tomorrow” she waved at her, in which Ling replied with the same gesture.

 

After she left, Ling wanted to work again. When Luhan was not around, his job was automatically transferred to her as she was his assistant. And basically, his job was her job as well as he always relied on her for doing most of them.

 

Then the flashing light that was striking outside made her stop and turning her gaze to the window. And there was the flash again, or she should say that it was a thunder. It seemed that the rain would come anytime soon. And probably she should go home too. Since Luhan had left for business trip, it would be difficult for her to go home once the rain started.

 

Unfortunately for her, by the time she reached the lobby, the rain started pouring down and hard. Ling stopped at the edge of the front step and looked out on the open before letting out a sigh and guessing that she wouldn't get home anytime sooner. And how she wished that she was able to bring her own car. It wasn't because she couldn't drive; she knew how to drive and Luhan let her drive from time to time. But she had never felt comfortable with the thought of borrowing her employer's car.

 

She heaved and raised her gaze to see the dark cloud above. The spring had turned to summer soon, she thought; the rain told her so. Well, it wasn't that she hated rain. She liked it; she liked the cool feeling touching her palm when she stretched out her hand like now. And she strangely felt relief and cleanse up whenever she saw the rain. But sometime, she found it disturbing at the time of urgency.

 

But then, she noticed the raindrops had stopped touching her hand. Furthermore, an umbrella had sheltered her from the rain. She looked to the side and a gentle smile welcomed her. And something inside of her started to stir up again.

 

“Mr. Kim!”

 

But the owner of the name just scoffed. “I think I’ve told you to call me Suho, Ling-ssi.”

 

Ling gasped to realize it. “I’m sorry, Sir.” Awkward.

 

Suho only chuckled in return. “It’s fine. But I hope you don’t consider walking through the rain. You can get sick.”

 

Ling quickly shook her head. “I-I'm just waiting for the rain to stop.”

 

“But why are you—“ Suho paused as he realized something “Ah, right. Luhan is out for business trip. Sorry for making him abandoning you.”

 

“It’s not your fault, Sir. It is the job that requires him to travel.”

 

“But I am the boss and I’ve made him doing business trips while I know that I can get someone else to do it for him” ah, he was right. “So, can I offer you a ride home to make up for my mistake?”

 

Ling was ready to say no when Suho had interjected her, “And I insist” and it was final.

 

“Alright, Sir, if it’s not giving you any trouble.”

 

He gave her a comforting smile. “It’s not, Ling, and it never will.”

 

The drive was quiet as Ling had chosen to stay quiet while looking out of the window. Through the glass’ reflection, she could see Suho. He seemed not wanting to bother her although she saw him glancing at her few times; she caught him trying to hold back smiles on his face. Ling didn’t know what that had made him smile but she felt a little bit uncomfortable by the way he smiled; it was sweet but sending a weird tingling feeling in her heart.

 

Then Suho’s phone suddenly rang, disturbing the silence. Suho pulled over his car and answered the call. “Yes, Hana?” He then frowned. “Right now? How about you?”

 

Ling turned her look at him as he listened to the explanation. Somehow from his expression, she knew that it was important.

 

“Okay, I’m on my way there.” Suho took off his earphone, looking a little pissed as well as tired “Ling, I’m sorry. But I think we will have to take a detour. Do you mind?”

 

“Ah, it’s fine, Sir. Perhaps, I can take the taxi from here” she offered. But Suho looked over the window. Smirking, he said, “But it seems that there’s no taxi around” well, point taken since Ling didn’t see any taxi passing by.

 

“Besides, the rain is still heavy and I can’t leave a girl alone in the middle of the rain like this.”

 

Ling pursed her lips, seeing another car passing by; not a taxi.

 

“So?”

 

The question brought her attention back to the man on the driver seat. For a moment, Ling stared at him, studying him and thinking whether she would need to come. But in the end, she gave up “Alright, Sir.”

 

The answer was enough to bring a smile to his face. “Thank you, Ling.”

 

And Suho drove the car again to a high class restaurant downtown. There, he parked his car on one of the empty lots. But Ling mentally complained why the restaurant had outdoor parking lot. So she had no choice than to ruffle through her bag to find her umbrella; she always brought the item in her bag because her mom told her to bring one for precaution.

 

But before she managed to find it, the door on her side already opened. Ling stopped and turned her gaze. Her gaze went up to meet a pair of gentle orbs. It was Suho who opened the door with an umbrella on his right hand, sheltering both of them. And there was a smile plastering on his face.

 

Badump. Gulp. Okay, she knew that he was nice. But she never expected him to be a gentleman too.  Then she realized that he was waiting. “Oh. Sorry, Sir” she stepped out from the car.

 

Suho just smiled and closed the door as he said, “It’s fine, Ling. But let’s get going. I’m afraid that they already wait.”

 

Ling just nodded. It was an awkward walk to the restaurant with Ling trying to stand apart from Suho. She even tried to ignore the coldness on her shoulder. But Suho suddenly slung his arm across her shoulders and pulled her closer, probably noticing that rain dropped on her shoulder.

 

Badump. Ling immediately froze. She looked up and saw him smiling gently at her. Badump. Badump. Oh gosh, sir, stop smiling at me. Somehow she thought that the walk from the parking lot to the restaurant entrance could be longer than she had expected. And also breath-taking

 

When they arrived at the front step and Suho’s hand left her shoulder, she felt that the air had managed to find the way back to her lungs.

 

“Good evening, Mr. Kim. A table for two?”

 

Suho smiled to the waiter and replied, “No. I have an appointment with Mr. Park today.”

 

The waiter seemed to understand and guided them to the meeting room with Suho and Ling following him.

 

“Did...” As she heard Suho’s voice, she immediately turned her gaze to him. “…Luhan’s father ever took you for a meeting in a place like this?”

 

Never, if the meeting made her feeling so nervous like now. “Sometimes, Sir” she nodded.

 

Suho noticed the waiter stopping on a door and telling him that Mr. Park already waited inside. He thanked him and watched him leave before turning to Ling. “Ling, I know that you’re Luhan’s secretary. But I will introduce you as my PA. I hope you don’t mind with it” he warned her.

 

But Ling knew that it would be wise to agree. Suho was her boss after all. Ling nodded. “I understand, Sir” he smiled back at her and puffed an air before opening the door.

 

As Ling entered the door and raised her gaze to see the young man who had waited inside, she suddenly froze. A silent gasp escaped her lips as she recognized him. She noticed the man taking a sharp quick glance at her before smiling at Suho and standing to welcome him.

 

“Hello, Mr. Kim” He said as he shook Suho’s hand “Hello, Mr. Park. It’s nice to see you again” Suho greeted him. But the man took another glance to Ling “I see that you have found yourself a company.”

 

Suho chuckled. “She’s my new PA, Miss Lu Su Ling” He turned to Ling and slightly pushed her forward “Miss Lu, may I introduce you to the Vice President of JYJ Enterprise?”

 

Ling politely bowed to the man. But she felt that she didn’t actually need to be introduced. She already knew who he was.

 

Park Yoohwan.


Author note:

Finally, an update. Sorry for taking so long for updating. Thanks to skittsebony and polariskpop for the help.

Thank you so much for subscribing, commenting and reading this story. I hope you enjoy reading the story.

And Okay, this is time for CHAPTERNAPPING. Ransom for the next chapter please. Let's say about 10 or more comments?? :)