NINE

August Rain

 

 


 

BRRT. BRRT.

 

Suho’s phone buzzed, vibrating against the wooden surface of the bedside table.  He groaned at the continuous vibration as it woke him up from his deep slumber.

 

“Hello?” he answered with a husky voice. “I’m sorry to wake you up, Sir” that familiar sweet polite voice im,mediately made him sober.

Aigoo…  Just when will she learn to talk in informal manner. Suho however, do admit that he find that side of her's rather adorable and it only made him anticipate the moment more when she eventually talk to him informally.

“Is it still too early, Ling?” Suho turned his gaze to the clock on the wall. It was almost 6 AM.

 But it’s time to get up.” she said it softly “You have an early schedule with the investor this morning.  Han gege reminds me not to let you skip from breakfast today.”

 

Suho went silent. Breakfast with the guys sounds fine to him. However, a meeting with investor would be a little bothersome. But it was the other reason why he and the rest of the guy were still in Jeju Island.

 

It reminded him that Kris had left in hurry last night, along with Hana. It was good for him since Ling had appointed to replace Hana temporary and it meant that he would have more time with her. But it was bad since he would be busier without Kris’ presence.

 

But then… should he feel happy right now? Somehow he felt that it was inappropriate to feel happy. At least, not after what had happened to Hana last night. He heaved a sigh. “Alright, Ling, thank you. I’ll be down soon. Are you at the dining room?

 

Yes, Sir

“Have the rest reached yet?”

Not yet, Sir” Suho began to feel irritated with Ling's addressing to him.  “Will you stop calling me ‘sir’?”

Eh?” There was a long pause across the line and Suho realised what'd he just said. Damn,  why am I throwing a tantrum to her?

 

Suho heaved a sigh “Nevermind. Please forget what I have said. I’m sorry. I’ll be right down” he quickly ended the call. And with heavy steps, he prepared himself for his day then went down to meet Ling.

 

The girl had waited for him at the dining room. She quickly stood up and bowed as she saw him. And to see her, Suho couldn’t help but to smile. Although, he noticed a folded newspaper on her hands.

 

“Good morning, Ling” he greeted her in his usual cheerful attitude as he sat on the dining chair, noticing that there were a plate of French toasts,  a cup of orange juice, and a set of fruits plate on the table “Good morning, Sir” she replied in her usual timid attitude. But then she added “I got you breakfast. But I don’t know whether you’ll like it or not.”

 

Suho raised his head and flashed her a smile “They are just what I need. Thank you, Ling” but he couldn’t stand to ask about the newspaper that the girl brought. “Is that today’s newspaper?”

 

Ling dropped her gaze to the newspaper on her lap and nodded “Yes. I got it from the Lobby” she looked back to him with apologetic and reluctant look “I don’t think you will like it though”

 

Suho understood what she meant. The accident last night would surely appear on the morning newspaper; he had been expecting it. And probably it would bring his mood down again “Yeah, you’re right. I don’t think I would need to look at it now” he flashed another smile and shifted forward as he took the fork. But before he started eating, he looked back at Ling “Have you eaten breakfast, Ling?”

 

The question seemed to surprise her. She stammered as she replied “N-n-not yet, Sir.”

 

Suho clicked his tongue, seeming disapproved. “Yah, you should take care of yourself before you take care of others. I know confirming my schedule will take a short moment. But it can wait a little while” he pushed the fruits plate toward the girl “Eat this first”

 

Ling looked back and fro between the fruits plate and Suho for a while before a shade of pink appeared on her cheeks; she dropped her gaze Okay, that’s really adorable. “Yes, Sir.”

 

A smile came to Suho’s face again as he saw the girl starting to eat in polite manner. And somehow, he felt thankful that he decided to have Ling as Hana’s temporary substitute. At least, with her companion, his feeling became a bit lighter.

 

And call him mean, since he suddenly wanted to a little bit. “So…” he tried to open up a conversation, making the girl look up on him “What’s my schedule for today?”

 

As he had expected, the girl silently gasped before dropping her fork and taking out the tablet in hurry. Suho chuckled to see her panicking. “Ling, Ling” he cupped one of her hands, trying to get back her attention “Relax. I’m just playing around you”

 

The girl blinked; half relief, half confuse as if she wanted to ask him why he . Suho smiled gently “Perhaps it’s because I want to loosen up a little bit” Sigh “After what happened to Kris and Hana last night, I really need to humor myself.”

 

Sympathized… it was something that he caught from her expression “Do you want me to cancel your 9 AM appointment then?”

 

Suho quickly shook his head “No, no, no. There’s no need to cancel any of my schedules. Kris will kill me if he knows that I ignore one of the investors” he looked back at her “So, what’s the schedule for today?”

 

Ling looked at Suho for a while before heaving a soft sigh and starting to tell him today’s schedules. After all the schedules confirmed, Suho caught a glimpse of his friends entering the dining room. Ling had also finished her breakfast and excused herself since she would need to make some calls.

 

“Ling” the girl quickly turned as he called “Can you play golf?” “Not really—“

 

“Good. Then, you’ll join me in the field” “Eh?” she looked surprise but Suho didn’t give her a chance to give excuses “I’ll be waiting at the lobby on eight thirty.” “But, Sir—“ Suho quickly shot her a gaze “It’s an order, Miss Lu.”

 

A cue for a dead end. She heaved a silent sigh and dropped her gaze “Yes, Mr. Kim” Feeling satisfy, a smile came to his face “Then see you later at eight thirty, Miss Lu.”

 

Ling bowed and silently went away, back to her room. A heavy sigh escaped through her lips as she was alone on the elevator.

 

Golf… Usually, if her boss asked her to join him on the field, it meant that she would need to accompany him. Usually, she would end up as a Caddy or joining them to play. But either one of them, it still made her feeling reluctant.

 

It wasn’t because she couldn’t play. She could actually; thanks to Mr. Lu who always dragged her along to play golf instead of dragging his own son. But the thing that made her reluctant was the outfit. Don’t get her wrong, thinking that she might not bring any sporty outfit.

 

Actually, Luhan had told her that he wanted to do some sports while in Jeju; of course, the activity would include Ling as well. So Ling had prepared beforehand. The thing was… the outfit that Luhan forced her to bring was soft pink sleeveless top and white shorts. And the thought of using them in front of other guy was embarrassing for her.

 

But she didn’t have much choice, right? So she would need to let this pass. Note to self: next time, ignore Han gege and bring ¾ pants instead.

 

 

 

It was 8:30 AM sharp when the elevator reached the ground floor. Ling quickly stepped out from the four walled compartment, feeling somewhat embarrassed with her white shorts. She felt as if every guy’s eyes were fixing on her; more specifically, to her and legs. It made her regretting not to bring any jacket. Thankfully, she had a document folder as a cover.

 

Ling stopped at the hotel’s Lobby and looked around, trying to find her boss. Her gaze fell to the sofa at the lobby. Ah, there he is. He was reading a magazine but he looked up as Ling approached him, and a smile formed on his lips.

 

“You’ve come” Ling just nodded while putting her hands on her back “Let’s go then” he closed the magazine and stood up but not failed to notice the folder on her hands “Is that financial report?” she just nodded and handed the document to him “Thank you,” he said before walking toward the exit to the car that had been waiting. Ling followed him.

 

When they reached the lobby door, Ling saw some guys looking at her with gapped mouth. She swore that she could hear them chuckling after she passed. Oh gosh

 

But she then noticed Suho suddenly stopped on his track before the car and turned around. It made her suddenly putting a brake on her steps “Forgive me for doing this, Ling” he then took off the cardigan that he slung on his shoulders.

 

Ling widened her eyes in surprise as Suho stepped closer and rounded his hands on her waist. Soon, she realized that he only wanted to tie the cardigan around her waist. What the hell that I was thinking. She mentally face-palmed. But to find him so close like now, she felt like her heart was going to explode. It calmed when he moved away.

 

“Thank you, Sir” he smiled “You’re welcome” he then turned and opened the car’s door. Instead of entering, he turned his gaze to Ling “Lady’s first”

 

The act made Ling awkward yet still entered the car. On the moment she wanted to see whether she would need to move aside or not, Suho already closed the door and went to the other side of the car, where his driver already opened the door for him.

 

After he entered the car and told the driver their destination, Suho grabbed the folder and took out the papers inside. Perhaps he sensed her gaze. He paused and turned to see her, causing Ling to awkwardly straighten her back.

 

“What’s wrong?” Ling quickly shook her head “Nothing” he only smiled with her reply and looked back to his papers. Ling heaved a silent sigh and relaxed a bit, knowing that Suho wouldn’t ask her any further. He could ask me to move aside actually, she thought as she sat back.

 

The drive was quiet as usual. Suho had guessed that Ling would choose to stay silent. So he took the time for studying the document. Once in a time, he took a glance to the girl beside him. She looked at the view and seemed to be busy with her thought. Then, his gaze fell to his cardigan that covered her thighs.

 

It was quietly shocking for him to see her in shorts and sleeveless shirt, especially when she was Lu Su Ling, the shy and timid PA of Luhan. The outfit showed how slender her legs and arms were. She looked so different yet attractive. No wonder if there were men turning their heads on her; although the thought of it surely didn’t please him. But judging her traits, he knew; he knew that perhaps someone was choosing them instead of her.

 

“Is it Luhan?” Ling turned her gaze as she heard the question “Huh?” Suho lifted his gaze from the document to her “Is it Luhan who chose those clothes for you?” Realizing what the guy meant, she nodded “Yes” A scoff came onto Suho’s lips as he looked back to the papers on his lap “I have guessed it.”

 

Ling purged her lips as she heard the last remark from the CEO before dropping her gaze to her clothes and wondering if they looked weird on her.

 

“I’m not saying that it’s not good on you” Ling looked back to him “But I noticed that you look a little uncomfortable on them. Do you think that you want to get a change?”

 

She quickly realized what he meant “Ah… no. There's no need. I think I can endure it” she quickly turned her gaze to elsewhere, feeling somewhat shy to look upon his gaze. She was wondering why he seemed to concern yet she felt glad to know that he cared about her. It made her heart fluttering. But what the hell that she was thinking, she scolded herself. Lu Su Ling, please stop daydreaming. She shook her head.

 

The golf appointment, it was an appointment with three men who were Wu Enterprise’s business partners: Mr. Bae of Bae Technology Company, Mr. Jung of Jung Broadcasting System, and Mr. Jang of Jang Garment Corporation. Their company helped Wu Enterprise a lot ever since the beginning. Without them, it wouldn’t be as successful as today.

 

Along with him, Mr. Jung had brought his daughters. He introduced them as Jung Sooyeon and Jung Soojung. The girls were young and attractive with sporty skirts. Seeing them, Ling had guessed their hidden purpose. That is so typical.

 

Growing up on a high society family like Lu family had made Ling seeing many things like that. Political marriages for expanding their companies happened a lot. And a handsome, young, and successful bachelor like Suho was a perfect target. Since the beginning, she could see them trying to cling onto him and flirt with him. But then, the Jung sisters seemed not to bother to conceal their flirting.

 

On one moment when Suho managed to make a long hit into the green, the Jung sisters cheered and claps. “Woohoo! Suho-ssi, you’re so great” Sooyeon, the oldest, said then turned to the said guy. Suho only smiled to hear it “I think I’m just lucky, Miss Jung” the girl chuckled and touched his arm before rounding her arm on his “But hitting a long range twice is not lucky I guess.”

 

While on another moment, the youngest, Soojung, was trying to flirt by asking Suho to teach her how to swing the stick and hit the ball. As a nice guy as ever, Suho was willingly to teach her. At first, Suho was giving instruction at her. But it seemed that Soojung made an air shot in purpose. It made Suho coming to her and taught her the right move. When Suho stood behind her, Soojung seemed to make a flirting gesture. It made Ling dropping her gaze and heaving a sigh again.

 

To think about, she had seen girls clinging around her bosses a lot, including Luhan. Perhaps it was because of their charm, good-looking face, and their successful career. But no matter what, they never affected her. Not even when someone flirted with Luhan.

 

But somehow to see girls clinging around Suho and adding it with the fact that Suho was friendly guy who always treated others in kindness, it was bothering her.

 

Sometime, she wished that she could tell those girls to stay away from Suho. But she realized, what right that she had. She was only his substitute PA.

 

 

“…Lu, Miss Lu!”

 

The call startled her and brought her back to reality. She quickly turned her gaze to the one who called her. It was Byun Baekhyun who called her. He was standing on a podium in front of a big screen and seemed to confuse; or rather not to please. It quickly struck her to realize that she was actually in the middle of a meeting. And as she turned her gaze to the head of the table where Suho with another important guest, she could see him frowning in confusion.

 

“Miss Lu” Baekhyun’s voice brought her gaze back to him “Can you turn to the next page please?” He asked in calm and polite manner but somehow it made Ling feeling bad for gazing off “Y-yes, Sir” she quickly pressed the next button. But the thought of having her boss scold her was making her worry.

 

Just as she had worried before, she saw Baekhyun stopping in front of her when she cleaned up after the meeting had finished “Miss Lu” Somehow his presence made Ling feeling nervous “Y-yes, sir”

 

But the guy only chuckled to hear her anxious reply “Don’t be nervous, Miss Lu” he paused and looked as if he was reconsidering something “Ah, forget the manner. Can I call you Ling as well? My tongue tickles whenever I call you Miss Lu” Ling only nodded awkwardly.

 

“Okay. Ling-ssi…” he frowned afterward “Are you alright?” “Eh?” “I mean, you seem a little bit off today. I noticed that you were gazing off at the meeting earlier. Is there something that bothering you?”

 

Ling only blinked. Those remarks surprised her. She didn't expect that he seemed to put extra attention on her.

 

To see the girl only stared at him blankly, Baekhyun soon realized that Ling might not use with talking with him. She was the timid girl who only opened up herself to Luhan afterall “Well, I know I’m not Luhan. I’m only Byun Baekhyun. But if you’re having problem and need someone other than Luhan to talk with, I’m always free” he flashed her a smile.

 

But it made Ling feeling more awkward “T-thank you, Mr. Byun”

 

“And please don’t call me Mr. Byun. I prefer you to call me Baekhyun” Ling only nodded. But she didn’t promise to call him by his name “Good night, Ling-ssi.”

 

As she saw Baekhyun walking toward the door, Ling thought that perhaps her behavior was very distinct earlier. She was feeling bothered like what Baekhyun had said. But to gaze off at an important meeting like that, it was so unlike her. And it was very unprofessional. Ling slightly slapped her forehead with the document folders that she brought. Aish, I feel so stupid. But she wondered why she felt bothered just because of Kim Joonmyeon.

 

“Ling-ssi.”

 

Ling slightly jumped as she heard the call. She turned but only to see that Suho was standing so close behind her. It made her taking a step backward. She knocked down a glass but Suho quickly reacted and put it back on its position. It made Ling exhaling in relief “Thank you, Sir.”

 

“Are you alright? You seem a little bit off today.”

 

Ling took a long and silent breath before replying “I’m fine, Sir” She look a quick glance at him. The guy seemed to be unconvinced; he looked worry. Oh, gosh. Don’t give me that concern look. She dropped her gaze “Perhaps just a little bit tired since I slept late last night.”

 

Suho heaved “Is there any important schedule after this?”

 

Ling took a moment to remember his schedule “Only a dinner meeting for fashion contract, Sir. Miss Kim has made reservation at the restaurant downstairs” “And tomorrow morning?” Another silent break as Ling thought “Nothing particular, Sir. But Mr. Oh wants you to join breakfast as usual before the flight” Suho nodded “Then let me handle the rest of my schedule by myself. Take a break and get some rest.”

 

“Thank you, Sir” Ling bowed and walked off. She thought that she would need to straight herself right. She was fine on her own before she knew Kim Joonmyeon. Besides, she was only his EPA. So she would need to act as one. It also meant that there would be no more special treatment, including if Luhan asked her.

 

Before she reached the door, Suho had called her “For the flight back to Seoul tomorrow—“

 

“I’ll take the commercial flight, Sir” Ling quickly interjected him “It will be so unfair if I’m always tagging along with the executives. Now, will you excuse me, Sir?” Suho seemed to surprise with her sternness behind her polite attitude. But nonetheless, he nodded “See you in Monday, Ling” She bowed and walked away.

 

It was weird. Even if it was slightly, Suho could feel something different from Ling. She was talking with him in straight manner. And it felt so weird to see Ling talking like that. It felt as if she was angry at him. Somehow it made him feeling guilty, as if he had done a mistake.

 

But waitwhy is she angry?

 

 

 

Monday at Seoul.

 

As usual, Ling came to the office. Instead of coming to General Affair’s floor, she went directly to the Executive office. There was no news about Hana coming to work today so it meant that she would still be Suho’s temporary EPA. But… how I will face Kim Joonmyeon-ssi after my bad attitude last week. Ling literally banged her forehead to the elevator wall. She had sorted out her mind. So the only thing that left in her over the weekend was a regret of getting angry without reason at her boss. That was why she determined to apologize to him.

 

Ding. The elevator had arrived at the most top floor of the building and Ling stepped out from it as soon as the door opened. While walking, she thought of ways to apologize to the CEO, and perhaps trying to explain why she behaved like that. Although it was just a bit, she felt anxious with meeting him. But as she wanted to open the office, she found out that it had unlocked.

 

Weird. The office was supposed to be empty. Unless

 

Ling turned to the EPA office and pushed the door open.

 

The girl who had sat on the chair lifted her gaze as she heard the door creaking open. A smile bloomed as she saw Ling. “Good morning, Ling-ssi.”

 

“Han—“ Correction “Miss Kim? Are you supposed to be resting?” Hana smiled brightly at her and shrugged “I can’t stand with nothing to do. So I choose to go to work today.”

 

“How about Mr. Wu? Will he not freak out?” the remark made Hana chuckling “I bet he will. But I can take care of it” Hana’s brows knitted afterward and she pointed to the tablet on Ling’s hand “Is that Mr. Kim’s schedule?”

 

It reminded Ling to return the device to the rightful owner “Ah, right” she stepped forward and put them on the table “Was there any problem with his schedule during the Summit?” Ling quickly shook her head “No, there wasn't”

 

The reply brought smile upon Hana's face “That's good to hear. Thank you, Ling-ssi.”

 

Hana took the tablet and looked at it. Meanwhile, Ling took the time to look at the girl, wondering how the girl could deal with her loss so well. If it was Ling, perhaps she would be out of her mind.

 

It seemed that Hana sensed her gaze. She lifted her gaze, making the other girl gasp in surprise with sudden eyes contact. “Is there anything wrong?” Ling quickly shook her head “No, nothing. It’s just…” she stopped her words, considering whether she would need to say it or not. But she decided not to say. So she shook her head again “Nothing. I’ll be going on my way now. Mr. Lu will be coming any time soon.”

 

Hana nodded “Okay.”

 

“It’s nice to have you back, Miss Kim” she bowed and walked to the door. But she stopped on her track before she walked out; she turned “Hana-ssi.”

 

The girl lifted her gaze again.

 

“I’m so sorry for your loss.”

 

For a moment, Hana pursed her lips in a straight line before curving them up “Thank you, Ling-ssi.”

 

Again, Ling bowed and went out. She walked toward the elevator and pressed the down button. As she waited for the lift to arrive, she heaved a sigh. With Hana presented today, she wouldn’t need to see Suho.

 

Ding. The elevator opened and Ling entered the four walled compartment.

 

She knew that she was supposed to feel relief with it. She didn't need to apologize or to explain her reason of being angry to anyone. Besides, becoming Kim Joonmyeon's EPA had somehow drained her energy faster than when she was handling Luhan. So it would be good if she didn't meet the guy at all.

 

But then, why did she feel a little bit lost?

 


Author note:

Sorry for the long hiatus. I got stuck with this chapter and didn't know what to do with it. This chapter is very far from perfect. There's so many mistakes and grammar errors. And perhaps it's far from your expectation. But I really wish that everyone of you can enjoy it.

Thank you so much for subscribing, commenting and reading this story. I hope you enjoy reading the story.