Chapter 12

EXOGWARTS [Hiatus]

“Wait… Are you saying… Kai is in love with D.O.?” asked Luhan astonished.

“It’s gotta be it! He didn’t drink this potion!” replied Sehun, looking at Luhan.

“Wow… I didn’t see that coming!” said Luhan, with his eyes wide open.

“I did” replied Sehun. “Since he met him, he only talks about D.O.” he proceeded to explain. “I used to make jokes about it but I realised that Kai really cares about D.O. To think that he actually confessed… I’m speechless”

Speechless was D.O. He was listening to his friends without saying a word, like he was paralysed. He couldn’t believe it.

“What did you say to him?” asked Luhan, looking at D.O.

“I told him I used him to get rid of my boring life” he replied, with no emotion.

“Ouch…” said Sehun. “He must be devastated…”

“The worst part is Tao was there and heard it all” continued D.O.

“Oh no, that’s bad!” said Luhan, worried. “He’s gonna tell the entire school about it!”

“We have to do something!” said Sehun, standing up. “Can we make him forget what he saw?” he asked.

“Actually, we can!” said Luhan, standing up too. “We can use Obliviat!”

“That’s a good idea! D.O. let’s go!” shouted Sehun, pulling the arm of his buddy.

The three of them went looking for Tao. He was talking in the corridor with some guys.

“We don’t have much time!” said Luhan, whispering. “D.O. you do it!”

D.O. pulled his wand and pointed it at Tao.

“Guys I gotta tell you something I just saw in the toilet” said Tao, with enthusiasm. “I—“

Obliviat” D.O. chanted.

“I… forgot…” said Tao, a little bit dizzy.

“You were telling us what you saw in the toilet” said one of his friends.

“I can’t remember… Was I even in the toilet?” he asked confused.

“Yes! You did it!” whispered Sehun, happily. Then they all returned to the Hufflepuff common room.

“That was close!” said Sehun, sitting in the couch. “You could use this to make Tao forget about you D.O. This way he would stop teasing and bullying you!”

“You’re forgetting about something” said Luhan. “Kris. That guy would realise that Tao lost his memory and he would probably tell him about him again” he continued, clenching his fist.

“But why would Kris do that? How does he even know about D.O.?” asked Sehun, confused.

“It’s a long story. And even if we wanted to do it, we wouldn’t make it. Kris never lets his guard down, and unfortunately he’s a very good wizard” explained Luhan.

“That’s it!” shouted D.O. all of a sudden.

“What?” both Luhan and Sehun asked, confused.

“That’s it! Obliviat is the answer!” said D.O. with enthusiasm.

“The answer for what?” asked Luhan again.

“For Kai! I can use it on him and he will forget about it!” proceeded D.O., explaining his plan. “He will just forget about what happened!”

“You’re missing something” said Sehun, with a serious expression. “He will forget about that, but the feelings will remain in his heart…”

“Yeah, he’s right. Kai will continue to be in love with you, and if he was brave enough to confess, he’s gonna do it again…” said Luhan, looking at D.O.

D.O.’s smile was quickly replaced by an unhappy face.

“Unless… You erase all his memories” said Luhan, with a heavy voice.

“What? That’s just crazy!” said Sehun, standing up. “You’re asking him to erase a friend?” he asked, infuriated.

“If that’s so important to D.O., it’s the only way…” replied Luhan.

“I totally oppose this idea! It’s ridiculous! Listen, I know it’s quite shocking but he doesn’t deserve that! D.O. was like the best thing that happened to him this year!” said Sehun, raising his voice.

“I have no choice” said D.O., with a dark expression.

“Why? Why can’t you accept his feelings?” asked Sehun. He was so furious he was almost tearing up.

“It’s not like I don’t accept his feelings, but I don’t feel the same way. I might like someone else and I can’t stand the idea of making him suffer. I have to do this” said D.O. He was almost tearing up too.

“If you do that you know you will lose him, right?” asked Sehun. “He’s no longer going to pick you up and hang out with you. Are you sure you wanna do this?” Sehun asked again, enraged.

“Yes” replied D.O., soullessly.

“Okay, it’s your call. But I totally oppose this” said Sehun. He then left to his bed.

“Hey… I know Kai is very important to you. He changed your life completely. He made you happy for the first time in three years. He’s a strong person, he will understand and support you no matter what, even if you love someone else” asked Luhan, looking deeply into his eyes.

“I know that. But I’m not as strong as he is…” replied D.O. “Knowing that my friend is hurt because of me… I can’t do that…”

Luhan nodded. He said goodbye and then he left.

The next day, the sun was rising beautifully. Everyone went to the Great Hall, as usual, to eat their breakfast. D.O. got up really early and he was waiting for Kai. His hands were sweating and his heart was racing. On the other hand, Kai was sleepy and yawning. Approaching the hall, they made eye contact. It was like the temperature dropped, they were feeling uncomfortable and nervous. D.O. walked slowly towards the young seeker. He didn’t know why, but Kai felt like something terrible was going to happen. Then, D.O. pulled his wand and pointed it at him.

“You’re trembling” said Kai, nervously.

“I know” replied D.O., with an unhappy look on his face.

“Whatever you’re going to do, do it quickly” asked Kai, with a sad tone. “Why are you crying?”

“I just want you to know that I love you …” said D.O., quivering. Then, with a simple move, he finally said that horrible word. “Obliviat

The morning passed quietly. During classes, Sehun was staring at Kai all the time. He was worried about him and he wanted to make sure he was okay. Kai was a bit dizzy, but he was fine and he was smiling like usual. When the morning classes were over, it was time for lunch. On their way to the Great Hall, they passed by D.O. Nothing happened, Kai kept walking like he didn’t know him. Sehun then gave D.O. a look of disapproval and followed Kai. The noisy Beagle Line arrived and they greeted the Hufflepuff student.

“Hello!” shouted Baekhyun, happily smiling.

D.O. kept his sad face and didn’t reply.

“Wow man, what happened? Did someone die?” asked Baekhyun, jokingly.

“Yes” replied D.O.

“What? Who?” they questioned, worried.

“A friend of mine” retorted the short one.

“Aw man, that’s too bad! My condolences!” said Chen, patting his friend.

“It’s not like he’s dead. He just doesn’t exist anymore” said D.O.

“What are you talking about?” asked Baekhyun, confused.

“I need to tell you something” replied D.O., with a serious expression. “I erased Kai’s memories about me”

“You what?” asked Chanyeol in shock.

“I had no choice” he continued. “Yesterday he confessed to me”

“Confessed? What kind of confession?” asked Chen, as confused as the other two.

“A love confession” replied the short one.

“Haha is this some kind of joke?” asked Baekhyun, uneasy.

“No” replied D.O.

“Wait, what?” they questioned again.

“He said he was in love with me and Tao saw everything. I also erased his memory about it” continued D.O., with a cold expression.

“WHAT?” they questioned, in shock.

“Hey guys, you’re not helping!” said D.O. angrily.

“Okay I understand why you erased Tao’s memories, but Kai?” asked Baekhyun seriously. “Why?”

“Because I don’t love him back and the idea of making Kai suffer because of me…” D.O. sighed. “I couldn’t live like that, so I had no other choice”

Baekhyun was in shock. He couldn’t believe D.O. did that. “You’re kidding right?” he asked once again.

“No, I’m serious!” replied D.O., raising his voice.

“How could you do that?!” he asked.

“I told you I couldn’t live like that!” replied the short one. “Kai is strong but I’m not!”

“You’re just selfish! You’re just thinking about yourself! Do you even realise what you did? You erased a friend because you’re a coward and can’t handle the situation!?” yelled Baekhyun, losing his temper. “Who do you think Kai is? He’s not a kid! Look what he did for you, he gave you happiness! And what did you do for him? You erased his memories because you can’t live like that? Because your friend has feelings for you!?”

“You don’t understand” replied D.O., looking at the ground.

“No! You don’t understand! You could just talk to him and express your feelings about it; you would probably find a solution! What you just did was an act of stupidity and immaturity!” continued Baekhyun.

“I ERASED HIS MEMORIES SO HE WOULD NOT REMEMBER ABOUT ME AND SUFFER! I DID HIM A FAVOUR!” shouted D.O., quivering.

“IS THAT SO? THEN ERASE MY MEMORIES TOO BECAUSE I’M SUFFERING RIGHT NOW!” yelled Baekhyun. He was so angry he left to the Gryffindor common room.

The other two just stood there, not knowing what to do. The last 10 minutes were too intense and shocking for them to understand what was really happening. After a moment of silence, they both looked at D.O.

“I’m sorry but I have to agree with Baekhyun on this” said Chen, with a sad face.

“Yeah, me too. There’s always another way…” said Chanyeol, following Chen to the hall.

D.O. was having a mental breakdown. He started to feel dizzy and before he fell on the ground, Amanda caught him.

“Are you okay?” she asked worried.

“I’m not feeling well…” he replied.

“Maybe I should take you to the Infirmary!” she said, while helping D.O. to sit down.

“I’m fine…” he said.

“No you’re not! What happened?” she asked, while kneeling down.

“I don’t want to talk about it… Please” he said with a heavy voice.

“Should I call your friends?” she insisted.

D.O. smiled sadly. “No, I’m fine… Just stay by my side please”

Amanda was confused. She didn’t know what happened; only that it was serious because she never saw D.O. like that.

“Should I get you something to eat?” she asked gently.

“Yes, please” he replied.

“Okay, I’ll be right back!” she said.

Amanda stood up and left. While he was waiting for her, his Divination teacher was walking by.

“Oh my! Is everything okay with you?” he asked worried.

“I’m fine, professor! Don’t worry” replied D.O., forcing a smile.

“You don’t look okay… Are you sure everything is fine?” he asked again.

“Yes… Well… No…” replied the student, making a sad face.

“I see. Do you want to go to my classroom? Maybe we can find some good news there” invited the teacher.

“I really need some good news right now” said D.O., smiling sadly.

The eldest one helped his student to get up. Then they both left to his classroom.

“I know you youngsters don’t like to use the crystal ball, but it really tells you the future” said the professor. “Weren’t you the one who saw a girl last time?”

“Yes. And I found her…” replied D.O.

“Oh that’s good! How is she?” asked the old one.

“She’s very nice and gentle. We’re good friends” retorted the student.

“Friends you say… It’s really difficult to make true friends, isn’t it? Is she a true friend?” asked the teacher, while cleaning the crystal ball.

“Well, we’re not very close but I like to hang out with her. You said that she was going to be my girlfriend, remember?” asked D.O. with a soft smile.

“Yes, yes! She might be your girlfriend” replied the old one.

“Might?” asked D.O. confused.

“You see, the future is uncertain. Destiny, as you may like to call it, is already designed for every single one of us. But we can always change it!” said the professor, looking at D.O.

“So I can change my future…” repeated D.O. “That would be good because I think I ruined my friendship with someone I really care about”

The professor laughed. “Look into the crystal ball and tell me what you see”

D.O. wasn’t feeling very confident but he decided to give it a try. After a while he started to see something. “I see two silhouettes holding hands… What’s the meaning of this?”

“Maybe it means you’re going to get back that friendship you lost” said the old one, giving D.O. a ray of hope.