Chapter 16

EXOGWARTS [Hiatus]

A few days have passed. Between training, tests and assignments, Kai wasn’t sleeping properly and he was in a cranky mood. It seemed like the notebook was the only thing that could cheer him up. They used to talk about a lot of things: stars, Quidditch, classes, magical creatures, pretty much everything. It was the only distraction that he had. Sehun was feeling jealous, how could his friend choose a notebook over him?

“Come on man, leave that thing alone and start talking to people, like you used to!” said Sehun, putting the notebook away from Kai.

“What the heck are you doing? Give it back!” shouted Kai, angrily.

“What the hell is this thing, anyway? You’ve been writing for hours! Do you even know who you’re talking with?” asked Sehun, annoyed.

“No and it doesn’t matter! That person helps me out every time I need and knows me better than anyone else” replied Kai, seriously.

“Excuse me? What about me? I’m your friend since we were 5!” said Sehun, feeling offended.

“You don’t understand!” said Kai, opening the notebook again and ignoring his friend.

Sehun couldn’t believe it. He was so angry he decided to leave Kai alone. He was walking furiously in the corridor when he bumped into D.O.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you!” apologized Sehun, immediately.

“What’s the hurry?” asked D.O., still dizzy from the shock.

“Ah… It’s Kai. Nothing that matters to you, anyway” replied Sehun, continuing to walk.

D.O. turned back, feeling hurt. “What do you mean, it doesn’t matter to me?”

“You erased his memories, why would you care?” replied Sehun, turning back at him with an angry face.

“I care about him! If not, I wouldn’t help him with Potions again” answered D.O., fiercely.

“You what?” asked Sehun, perplexed. “You helped him again? What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“He asked for help and I helped him” answered D.O., seriously.

“That guy… Why would he do that?” whispered Sehun to himself.

“He didn’t tell you?” asked D.O., with a sad expression.

“No. And don’t give me that face, you’re not that important to him anymore” replied Sehun, turning his back on him and leaving.

D.O. stood there, watching his junior go. It was like the temperature dropped and his heart stopped beating for a while. It worked the first time, why wasn’t it working again? What will it take to get him back? He turned around and he was surprised to see Kai.

“What was that about?” asked Kai, with a serious face.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…” replied D.O., worried if he heard the whole conversation.

“I apologize for my friend. He’s not in a very good mood today” said the young seeker. “It must be because of the Quidditch tournament”.

“That’s okay, I forgive him” answered D.O., looking sadly at the ground.

“Oh and by the way! Thank you so much for your help the other day! I passed my test!” said Kai, brightly smiling.

D.O. felt warmer inside but he was still sad. “I’m glad to hear that”.

“I just wonder… Why did you have your notebook with you that day?” asked Kai, suspicious.

“Oh, about that… Someone asked me to bring it with me” replied the short one.

“Someone? Who?” asked Kai, attempting to know the identity of the mysterious person.

“I don’t know, whoever it was left a note” answered D.O., intrigued. “I wonder how that person knew you would need it”.

“I told him… Or her… I was having trouble with Potions and he… Or she… Told me to find you” confessed Kai, rubbing his hand on his head, confused with what he just said.

“You also don’t know who that person is…?” asked D.O., puzzled.

“I have no idea… Anyway, thanks again for your help. I know it’s not the first time” said Kai, patting D.O.’s shoulder.

The older one opened his eyes widely. How did he know it was not the first time?

“Oh and of course! I was almost forgetting! Do you want to come and see the games? The tournament starts next week! It would be good if you could come” invited Kai, with a smile.

“Sure. I’ll be there” answered D.O., softly smiling.

The two students parted ways. D.O.’s heart was racing and Kai started feeling something weird on his chest, something heavy. What could it be?

The whole week was very busy for every Quidditch player; they were training hard for the upcoming Christmas tournament. Kai was nervous and excited at the same time. Last year they didn’t win but he was willing to change that this time. At lunch, when he was taking a sit, he overheard a conversation between his classmates. They were discussing about the Potion’s test.

“WAIT, WHAT?” he asked, suddenly.

“That’s right Kai, we’re having a test next week” said one of his classmates.

“Oh my God, no! I totally forgot about that!” he said, with his eyes widely opened.

“I’m sure you’ll be fine. You were amazing last year” replied another classmate.

Kai didn’t know what to do. He was not prepared for the test. He had to ask for help again. He turned around and decided to look for D.O. The Beagle Line saw him and decided to have a little chat about the tournament.

“Hey, champion! Are you ready this time for—“ said Baekhyun, stopping when he noticed Kai wasn’t paying attention. “What are you looking for?”

“D.O. Have you seen him?” he asked, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

The Beagle Line looked at each other, astonished.

“Excuse me, what?” asked Chen.

“I’m looking for D.O., that guy from Hufflepuff. I believe you know him…” replied Kai, a little bit confused with their reaction.

 “For what?” asked Chanyeol.

“I need his help” answered Kai. “He helped me once with Potions and I need his help again”.

“How do you know that? Who told you?” asked Baekhyun, puzzled.

“The notebook” answered Kai, turning his head and looking for D.O again.

“The notebook?” whispered Baekhyun to his comrades. “I honestly thought D.O. was the person behind the other notebook…”

“If it’s not D.O…. Who is it?” whispered Chen, intrigued.

“More importantly, they’re back!” said Chanyeol, enthusiastically. “Just like the old times, Kai is looking for D.O. again!”

“If he messes up this time, I’ll kill him” said Baekhyun, convicted of his words.

Kai finally found D.O. and asked him for his help. The older student didn’t know what to do. From what Sehun said, Kai was not interested in him like in the past. So why was he looking for him again? After classes, they decided to meet in the library and study together. They were sitting next to each other. D.O. was so nervous he was sweating and Kai was feeling a weight on his chest again. He decided to open his notebook discretely.

“Can I ask you something?” he wrote.

“Yes”

“What is this weight I feel on my chest?”

“I don’t know. What’s going on?”

“Nothing special… I’m studying with D.O.”

“I see…”

“See what? What’s happening?”

“What are you doing?” asked D.O. suddenly.

Kai was startled. “Oh! This? This is just a notebook… I write my thoughts… And it answers me back…”

“Really? That’s sounds interesting! Now study!” said D.O., changing is excited face to a serious one.

“Alright…” muttered Kai.

After two hours of studying together, Kai left for his training and D.O. left to hang out with Amanda. Although they were dating since last year, D.O.’s heart only races when he’s with Kai. He started to realize that something was wrong. As for Kai, although he barely knows D.O., he likes to be around him. After his training, he opened his notebook. He saw an answer earlier but he didn’t read it because D.O. told him to study and put the notebook away. His face suddenly turned white.

“Do you perhaps like him?”

“What? That’s nonsense!” he wrote, trembling a bit.

“Do you really think so?”

“Listen, I like you! Even though you’re just a notebook” he paused to breath. “I think I’m ready to know who you are”

“Not yet”

“Oh, come on! I forgive whatever you did to me… Let’s meet!” insisted Kai. “We’ve been talking to each other for weeks!”

“Just because we shared moments together doesn’t mean we’re ready for it”

“Oh really?”

Kai was irritated so he closed the notebook in anger. He decided to go to the Gryffindor’s common room and lay down on the couches. Baekhyun was walking by and decided to ask him what was going on.

“I’m feeling weird” answered Kai, soullessly.

“Hey dude, don’t get sick before the tournament!” said Baekhyun, worried about his team.

“It’s not that kind of sickness…” replied Kai. “I have a weight on my chest”.

“What? Are you sure you’re not sick? You should go to the Infirmary!” said Baekhyun, worried.

“It only happens two times a day” continued Kai, ignoring Baekhyun’s worries. “When I’m with him and when I open the notebook…”

Baekhyun was looking at Kai with a stupid face. He was lost in the conversation. “Okay… Care to explain that?”

“Every time I’m with D.O. I have this weird feeling but at the same time it’s like an old feeling… Am I making sense? And every time I open the notebook, whoever that person is, my heart races…” said Kai, looking deeply into the ceiling. “But it’s weird! Why would I feel like that when I’m around a guy I barely know? Maybe the notebook is right… But then, why do I feel the same way about it? Can I like a guy and a notebook at the same time?”

“WHAT IS GOING ON RIGHT NOW?” asked Baekhyun, astonished.

“I don’t know, Baekhyun! That’s what I’m trying to figure out!” yelled Kai, desperately.

“Okay, let’s think straight… You say you like D.O.?” asked Baekhyun, while sitting next to Kai.

“Yes” nodded Kai.

“And you say you like the person behind the notebook, a person you don’t even know if it’s real…” continued Baekhyun.

“Yes” nodded Kai, again.

“Well, that’s pretty obvious to me. Go for D.O.!” shouted Baekhyun.

“Shhh! Be quiet!” yelled Kai. “Why D.O.?”

“Well, first of all, he’s a real person and you can see his face. What if the person behind the notebook is ugly as hell?” questioned Baekhyun, mischievously laughing.

“Shut up, dude” said Kai, smacking his arm.

“No, but seriously. You know D.O., I know D.O., everyone knows D.O. He’s a nice guy and very responsible. In my honest opinion, I would go for someone I know for sure. What it that person behind the notebook never shows up?” questioned Baekhyun, seriously looking at Kai.

Kai didn’t reply. His heart was divided in two. Go for the guy that is real or go for a person that may not even exist? “But then explain me why I feel so nervous around D.O.! I don’t know that guy to the extent of being breathless”

Baekhyun laughed like the hard-core fan he is. “Maybe… You like him… A little bit more than just the usual like…”

“What do you mean?” asked Kai, confused.

“Maybe the weight you feel on your chest is because you are in love…” said Baekhyun, worried about Kai’s reaction.

“What? That’s impossible” said Kai, while standing up and walking around the room.

“Nope, it’s not impossible…” said Baekhyun, following him with his eyes.

“What am I going to do?” asked Kai, worried.

“Hey dude, relax. Try to hang out more with D.O. and confirm if what you feel is real or not. That’s the only way. About the notebook… I don’t know. Are you sure it’s safe to share so much things with it?” questioned Baekhyun.

“I trust that notebook...” answered Kai.

“Then, what are you going to do?" asked Baekhyun, curious.

“I think... I’m going to give it a try with D.O.... What harm can it make?” said Kai. His heart raced a bit.