Chapter 3

EXOGWARTS [Hiatus]

Next day, Kai was very excited. He thought D.O. was a very weird guy, but he felt like he was the only one who could help him the right way. After classes, they agreed meeting in the library. D.O. was a very quiet guy, who enjoyed very quiet places. Kai was the type who preferred open spaces and adventure. They were almost the opposite of each other. When he got there, D.O. was already sitting, with a lot of books opened around the table. Kai wanted to run away immediately but D.O. saw him and waved at him.

“Are you ready, young pupil?” asked D.O. with a creepy smile.

“Cut the role play and let’s get started…” answered Kai.

“Ah, I appreciate your enthusiasm! Let’s get started then!” replied D.O.

D.O. seemed pretty excited explaining how to make the hair-raising potion. Kai could tell that his favourite class was Potions indeed. Time was passing by, and the sun was setting. Kai was exhausted, but he was very focused on studying. D.O. was happy to see that he was not just a popular guy who likes riding his broom everywhere. He was happy that he was very different from Tao. Tao was ambitious and didn’t even care about classes. He only seeks popularity and that damn golden snitch.

“Can I ask you something?” questioned D.O.

“Sure” answered Kai.

“What is so fascinating about the golden snitch?”

“That is something that I cannot tell you” responded Kai.

“Why?” asked D.O. with an angry face.

“Because you can’t explain that feeling. You need to experience it” answered the young seeker.

“You all think the same way. Flying is the only good thing for you! But that won’t make you a good wizard!” replied D.O. in anger.

“Neither good grades!” retorted Kai.

“What? That doesn’t make any sense!”

“Listen… Do you think that those who cheat and get good grades are good wizards?” asked Kai.

“Of course not!” answered D.O.

“Then there’s your answer! Good grades don’t mean you’re a good wizard! If you practice and work hard you will definitely become great!” explained the younger one.

“I can’t imagine life without studying” said D.O.

“I’m not saying you should not study. But to be happy and to understand the meaning of magic, you need to feel it. Feel the happiness of riding a broom and chase. Chase whatever you want, it can be a golden snitch or a Potion’s book. If you sit around in the library all day, how can you feel the happiness of chasing your dreams?” asked Kai.

“What are you talking about? I chase knowledge. And for me, knowledge is on books not golden snitches” replied D.O.

“Hey, I’m not criticising your way of life. You don’t need to criticise mine” answered Kai a little bit upset.

“What? You just said that sitting all day here is not the right way of living a happy life!” retorted the other student.

“What is wrong with you? What do you have against the golden snitch?” asked Kai confused.

“It’s not against the golden snitch, it’s against seekers!” answered D.O.

Kai was surprised with D.O.’s answer. He couldn’t think of anything else but his coldness against Tao.

“What happened between you and Tao?” he asked.

“What? Who talked about Tao?” D.O. was confused.

“I noticed the way you look at him. And the way you talk about him. Isn’t he from your year? Don’t you have classes together?” continued Kai.

“Yes, we do” answered D.O.

“Then, what happened between you two? Why are you so cold? I know that giving me the answers for the test was not right, but that doesn’t mean you should hate him…” said Kai.

D.O. said nothing. His look was empty. Kai had no idea what happened between those two, but since he knows both of them and he thinks they are nice people, he couldn’t understand their situation. So he just thought that something serious must have happened.

“I don’t want to talk about it. And it’s none of your business” said D.O.

D.O. started to pack his stuff. He looked very upset.

“Wait, where are you going? I’m still not finished!” asked Kai.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. Good night”

D.O. left. Kai was confused. Something serious must have really happened between D.O. and Tao.

It was dinner time. On his way to the Great Hall, Kai found Sehun, his best friend. Like Kai, he was a second-year student and he was the seeker of Hufflepuff.

“Hey Sehun! What’s up? Listen, I need to ask you a favour” he said.

“Sure, if I can help” said the other one.

“Do you know this guy, D.O.? He’s your senior, from third year” continued Kai.

“D.O.? No, I don’t think I know him…” his friend answered.

“He’s short, red hair, has a really bad temper… Sometimes he wears glasses and he’s really good with potions”

“Oh! That guy! Of course I know him! What do you want to know?” asked Sehun.

“Well… Everything” said Kai.

“What? You do realise I can’t just go and ask hey tell me everything about you…” replied Sehun.

“I know, but since you’re both from Hufflepuff he trusts you more than he trusts me” said Kai.

“What do you exactly want to know? I can only ask simple questions, if you want to dig his past you better ask Beagle Line…”

“Beagle Line, of course! How could I forget about them?” said Kai.

“Problem solved, then. What made you so interested in this guy?” questioned Sehun.

“I don’t know. I can’t understand him. And he has a very bad relationship with Tao” replied Kai.

“Everyone has a bad relationship with Tao… Everyone but you and his punk friends” said Sehun.

“I don’t understand why everyone hates him so much. He’s not that bad…”

“He’s not that good either” continued Sehun.

“Well, whatever. Just observe D.O. and tell me if you find anything weird” asked Kai.

“You want me to spy on this guy? Do you perhaps have a crush on him?” questioned Sehun.

“Shut up squid head. I’ll talk to you if I find something new”

Kai sat down with his friends and soon they started to eat. After they were finished, Kai went looking for Beagle Line. As usual, they were laughing out loud and goofing around.

“Hey guys! How are you doing?” asked Kai.

“Hey kid! Glad you could join us!” said Chen.

“Just in time for our newest story!” continued Chanyeol.

“Listen carefully guys! So for today’s Charms assignment, we decided to sabotage Lily’s presentation. So we asked some help to brew Babbling Beverage and we mixed it with water, and we used Chen’s charm to give it to her. You should have been there! It was hilarious!” said Baekhyun.

“Who’s Lily?” asked Kai.

“Just a cocky girl from our year. She thinks she’s better than everyone else, so we decided to teach her a lesson!” answered Chanyeol.

“What does that potion do?” asked Kai again.

Meanwhile, Lily was passing by and as soon she saw these three guys, she started to shout.

“You giant flowers! I’m gonna love you for the rest of the headmaster’s life! You shall be crowned as the kings of teddy bears!” she said.

“Aw, that’s so sweet Lily! Thank you!” replied Baekhyun.

Lily was really embarrassed and furious. She left running away at full speed.

“Guys, you’re scary… Should I trust you?” questioned Kai.

“Of course you should kiddo! We’re friends!” replied Baekhyun with a big grin.

“Happy to hear that… Guys, I need a favour” he finally said.

The Beagle Line then gathered. What they like to hear the most is “I need a favour”.

“At your service! What do you need?” asked Chen.

“Remember this guy D.O. you talked to me about? I want to know about his past”

“Hey… That ain’t gonna be easy. That guy is really quiet. Will we be able to find anything about him? He’s like a ninja!” said Chanyeol.

“What are you talking about, you idiot? Everyone has a past. I bet this guy has a very boring one” said Baekhyun.

“You guys, talking nonsense! This is a perfect job for us! Don’t worry kid, we’ll find the information you need” continued Chen.

“Can I count on you?”

“Please, don’t offend me! Of course! As soon as we get it, we’ll give it to you. I bet this guy has a very interesting story! The quiet ones are the nastiest of them all!” replied Chanyeol.

Kai was hoping they could find anything that would help him understand D.O. It’s not like he doesn’t trust him, but he feels like he’s hiding something. He wants to help him finding happiness away from those walls surrounded by books. He wants to prove him that he can seek knowledge outside the library.