Chapter 15

EXOGWARTS [Hiatus]

The next day, Kai got up like usual: half asleep and slowly getting off the bed. It was apparently a normal day, with classes and training. He was not expecting anything to happen out of this boring routine, except for one thing.

“Since you all have been studying so hard for this class, how about a surprise test?” asked the Potions professor, ironically.

Everyone froze in panic when they heard that, especially Kai. Last year he managed to get good grades, the problem is he doesn’t remember how. The professor handed an empty sheet to every student and wrote 10 questions on the board.

“And remember, whoever fails has to come to an extra class every day until you get it right. You can start now. Good luck!” he said.

Kai read the first question and started to sweat. The truth is, since school started, he never studied for Potions. Or any other class, to be honest. He just wrote what he thought was reasonable to write. After a week, the scores came out.

“OH MY GOD NO!!!” screamed Kai, in desperation.

“OH MY GOD YES!!!” screamed Sehun, in joy. “I passed! I don’t have to go to those extra classes! I’m a freaking genius!”

“NOOO!” continued Kai to scream. “NOW I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR TRAINING! SEHUN, HELP ME!” he said, grabbing Sehun’s shoulders.

“Nope, I won’t! I’m seriously enjoying watching you right now. I might get used to it!” replied Sehun, smiling evilly.

“No, I can’t! I hate Potions! What am I going to do with my life?” said Kai, faking some tears, although he was feeling like crying.

“Good news, Mr. Kai!  If you finish the exercises in time, you may be dismissed and leave for your training!” said suddenly the professor, coming from behind.

Sehun and Kai were startled by his unexpected appearance.

“I’m so happy I passed this test…” he whispered.

“And I hate you so much” whispered Kai, with a desperate look on his face.

After classes, Kai was walking in the corridor, looking down, when the Beagle Line spotted him.

“Hey bro, you’re going the wrong way! The field is outside the castle!” said Chanyeol, jokingly.

“I know exactly where the field is and believe me, I wish I could go that way…” replied Kai, looking gloomy.

“What are you talking about?” asked Chen, confused.

“I failed at my Potion’s test and now I have extra classes… Sorry but I can’t go today” replied Kai.

“Oh really? Man, that’s terrible!” said Baekhyun, patting Kai’s shoulder. “I thought you were clever!” he added, mischievously smiling.

“It was a surprise test!” said Kai, trying to defend himself.

“I thought you were okay with Potions… What happened to you?” asked Chen.

“I don’t know… I wasn’t good with Potions from the start…” he replied, looking sad again.

“Well man, it’s getting late and we need to go. Just let us know if you need anything!” said Chanyeol, while waving and leaving.

Kai entered the classroom, where some of his classmates were also there. Everyone looked extremely happy, ironically speaking. While the professor was organizing his books, Kai decided to open the notebook and get that weight out of his chest.

“I failed so badly at Potions, now I have to attend extra classes!” he wrote.

“Again?”

Kai was confused. “What do you mean, again?”

“Last year you failed too”

“REALLY? I don’t remember… I thought I was good at this…”

“You had some help”

Kai stared at the notebook for some seconds. How could a notebook know more about his life than himself?

“Okay students, today you’re going to study this potions and the right method to brew them!” said the professor suddenly, startling Kai, who was absorbed on his own thoughts.

“What happens if we don’t manage to finish this today?” asked Kai.

“Extra homework” retorted the professor, with a serious face.

Kai shivered. This professor always looked scary to him. After an hour, Kai was almost falling asleep. He was trying to focus but it was impossible, since for him that subject was really boring. He wanted to get out of there, but he couldn’t unless he finished studying that pile of sheets. Discretely, he opened the notebook and asked if he knew who helped him before.

“I do”

“Please, do tell!” begged Kai.

“He goes by the name D.O. and you can find him in the library”

Kai smiled and then he looked at the professor. “Can I leave sir? I really need to go” he said, politely.

“Have you finished it yet?” he asked, grossly.

“No sir… I don’t mind having extra homework, but I really need to go now, please…” replied Kai, shyly.

“Okay, you may leave. But bring me that tomorrow!” said the professor, with a frightening expression.

Kai left in a hurry and headed to the field. The training was still going on, so he took his broom and joined them.

The next day, Kai decided to go to the library and look for D.O., as told by the notebook. He suddenly stopped and opened it.

“Wait a second, is this D.O. the same D.O. I know?” he asked.

“Yes. He’s sitting alone on that table, next to the window”

Kai looked up and saw a lonely guy studying quietly.

“That shorty over there, right?”

“Yes. And by the way, he’s not in a very good mood, so don’t call him shorty”

Kai felt a little bit uneasy and closed the notebook. He approached D.O., who was absorbed on Herbology books.

“Excuse me… D.O.?” asked Kai, nervously.

D.O. opened his eyes widely. That voice was familiar to him. He turned around slowly and was surprised to see Kai. “Yes?”

“Hey… Hum… Can… Can I ask you a favour?” questioned Kai, a little bit embarrassed.

“What is it?” asked D.O. His heart was racing.

“Can you help me with my homework?” asked Kai.

D.O. lifted his eyebrow. “Your homework?”

“Yes… I mean… Potions, Potions homework!” retorted Kai.

“Oh I see… Well, I’m very busy right now, I have a Herbology essay to write, so… It’s not the best time for me” replied D.O. with a serious expression, trying to control his happiness.

“But I really need your help! The professor might kill me if I don’t deliver this to him today!” asked Kai, politely.

“Not my problem” said D.O. soullessly, turning around.

“Hey dude, what’s your problem?” asked Kai, annoyed by his attitude. “I’m desperate here, I could really use some help!”

“I’m sorry man, I’m busy. Maybe next time” replied D.O., not even blinking.

Kai clenched his fist in anger. He turned around and opened the notebook aggressively.

“What the hell? He’s not helping me!”

“Keep trying”

Kai looked over his shoulder and observed D.O. for a few seconds. Then, he filled his lungs with air and decided to try again.

“Please shorty, help me!” he said, raising his voice a little bit.

D.O. stopped writing suddenly. He turned around with a very angry face. “What did you just call me?”

“Ah… Shorty?” said Kai, confused.

“Don’t call me that again or I’ll transform you into a slug!” threatened D.O., raising his wand and pointing it at Kai.

“Easy man, easy! Aish, what is your problem, dude?” asked Kai, perplexed.

D.O. then realized what he was doing. He felt embarrassed and immediately put his wand down. It’s been a long time since Kai like this. “I’m sorry… Take a chair and sit next to me, I’ll see what I can do”.

Kai wasn’t sure if he should do that. But he decided to trust the notebook, and if the notebook told him to trust D.O., then he will also trust D.O. Kai showed him the recipes and waited for him to say something.

“What am I suppose to do with this? Brew them?” asked D.O.

“What?” asked Kai, confused.

“These are recipes… What are you suppose to do with this?” questioned D.O., impatient.

“I need to know how exactly I should brew them and why I use those ingredients…” replied Kai, who was not sure what was wrong with that.

“Just that? Then read it and do it again and again until you know everything. You see… Study!” said D.O., looking back at his books.

“No no no! The problem is I can’t memorize these recipes just by looking at them… I need to understand why we have to use these ingredients and why we have to follow these steps, otherwise it’s useless…” said Kai, trying to capture D.O.’s attention again.

“You were supposed to pay attention in class, when the professor brewed these potions… What were you even doing?” asked D.O., with a serious expression.

“I don’t know… Drawing or something…” answered Kai, not aware of D.O.’s burning stare.

D.O. sighed.  “Here, take this” he said, handing Kai his Potion’s notebook. “I always take notes on what the professor says, here you have why and how, it shouldn’t be a problem anymore”.

Kai smiled brightly and then he started to study, right next to D.O. When he was finished, he delivered the notebook and rushed towards the classroom.

“Here, I’ve finished!” he said, happily smiling.

“Everything?” asked the professor, surprised.

“Yes sir!” replied Kai, energetically.

“Okay, let’s repeat the surprise test then” said the professor, handing Kai a sheet with the same 10 questions from the last time.

Kai was trembling because he was nervous, but after reading the questions again, he remembered D.O.’s notes. Everything was clear in his head this time. When he finished, the professor started to read his test. After 10 minutes of silence, the old man looked at Kai with a frightening face.

“Did I fail again?” asked Kai, scared to the bones.

“Congratulations, Mr. Kai. Every answer is correct” said the professor, like he it meant nothing.

Kai jumped in the air, in happiness. He left the room and ran at full speed towards the library. He wanted to properly thank D.O. for his help, but he was no longer there. He decided to open his notebook.

“I passed my Potion’s test this time!” he wrote.

“That’s good news”

“I have to thank D.O.”

“That’s a good idea”

“I’ve been thinking… Why on earth was he carrying a notebook with exactly what I needed?”

The answer didn’t come.

“Did you tell him?”

“Yes”

“Who are you?”

“I can’t tell you”

“Please, tell me now!” asked Kai, almost desperate.

“Not yet”

“When…?”

“When you’re ready”

“Ready for what?” he asked, confused.

“To forgive me”