(Taeil) Twelfth Day of Christmas: Santa

Christmas Days

 

A/N: Honestly, I know I've been going around with this concept for like gizillion  times.. 
But.. it was a sudden inspiration and my fingers flew across the keyboard. 
After reading again, I couldn't help but share :D 
Sorry about the length :D 


12th of December. 13days to Christmas! 
Santa


"One large espresso, please."

 

"There you go sir, that would be..."

 

He settled himself in a comfy couch by the window, in a corner of the shop.
He took up the silver spoon and dipped into his coffee stirring as he pour sugar inside.
He continued stirring even after the sugar packet was emptied, he peered around the cafe, it hung black and white pictures framed in metal borders, of various locations, a couple which he has travelled to a couple of times.

He placed the spoon down after lightly tapping to remove most of the coffee.
He took a small sip of his coffee, taking a little pause to inhale the freshly brewed coffee before taking some into his mouth. 


Bliss.


 

Christmas was coming. The month of giving.
A beautiful month indeed.

He has never really celebrated christmas in his years of growing up.
He was always busy. 

Now, he has become a successful man who has time to slurp coffee in the evening.
He was still busy, but he could always afford to have a little me-time.

 

He smiled at the thought of this and proceed to take another small sip of his coffee.

 

"I DON'T WANT! CAN'T YOU JUST LISTEN TO ME?" a little girl, not older than six yelling at her mum.

Her young piercing voice definitely caught many customers' attention, well, she has ruined the silence they have been savouring.

Her mum looks at loss, she bend down to whisper, fortunately or unfortunately he was good at reading lips, "Keep your voice down, Let's talk about this later, let mummy grab some coffee"

 

She just wailed. 
He cringed his eyebrows into a tight knit. If it was him, he would never escape from a couple of painful spankings.

"Perhaps,..today shall be the night of giving?" he softly mused as he make his way to the little girl.

 

"Hey.."
 

She finally lightly stop her cries and stop to look at the stranger.
 

"Crying makes you less pretty, don't cry.."
 

"What do you want?!" she grumpily mumbled.
 

"It's not what I want, I think the problem is what do you want?" he gave a friendly smile.

He wished more people did such things he would be so weirdly stared at when he was genuinely thinking of helping.

 

She pouted, "Mummy wanna bring me out this Christmas."
 

"Hmm, and how is that making you upset? Ain't it nice?" he lead her to a seat close to her mum who was ordering.
 

"Well... BoRa invited me to a Christmas party! I have always spend Christmas here, it would be no fun going overseas.
Mummy and Daddy always do boring stuff,
I want to play with my friends. " she was busily drying her eyes as she pulled of a whine-y tone as she said this.

 

"And, this little girl is afraid Santa won't pass you presents too." he nudged her playfully.
 

She stop wiping, and stared straight into his eyes, "Santa ain't real. "

 

He was surprised, "And..how do you know?"
 

She shrugged her shoulders, "I just know, Santa has never give me presents even when I was really nice,"she pouted.
 

He was about to continue, her mum came over, "Honey, who is this?" she eyed suspiciously at him.
 

He put up his hand to surrender, "Don't worry M'am, I was just being Santa and wanna help this crying angel. "

Her mum smiled and took a seat.

 

"You're Santa?! "that little girl cried out. 
 

"No, I'm being Santa."
 

"You are not fat with beards..."
 

He chuckled, "No, I am not. Being Santa just mean having the spirit of giving, just like Santa. "
 

"Spirit of Giving? "
 

"Yeah, You know how people give each other presents during the holidays, say nice words, show a few pretty smiles to strangers. "

"They are all Santa?"
 

He nodded, "So, like what we were talking about, did you ever think about how Mummy want to take you out as her present for you?"
 

She stopped, perhaps pondered a little.
Thoughts running through her little mind,... she eyed at her mother as she slowly said,"I...don't know. "

Her mum just smiled,
"I only thought of going to BoRa's party."

 

He smiled, "And, wouldn't that be rejecting a present from your mother?"
 

"But, I didn't want that present."
 

"Christmas is about giving, not about receiving.
Receiving is something pleasant that comes with giving, but the whole spirit is about sharing joy with your loved ones,"

He paused as her little mind took a hold of all this,

 

"Maybe, mummy want to share this beautiful season with just you.
If you have went to the party, you'll play with BoRa and mummy will spend time with her friends.
That may not be something mummy wants..."

 

He eyed at her mum to gain support that he wasn't wrong from the truth, she just beamed and nodded.

"I guess so.."
 

He chuckled, "So.. Is this angel still upset?"
 

She kept silent for a while, "No!" she stood up to hug her mum, "I'm sorry mummy, I shouldn't have yelled at you," she planted a kiss on her mum's cheeks.
 

Her mum smiled, "Its alright darling."


Her gaze focused on him, "Thank you so much"

 

He nodded, "I'm happy to help"
 

She smiled, nudging her daughter, "Let's go honey, say thanks and bid farewell to Santa"
 

She lightly bounce with every step she took and gave him a hug, "Thankyouuuu Santa! "
 

He brought his free hand across her back to lightly hugged her, "Thankyou too angel,"
 

They made their way to the door, "Merry Christmas!" he lightly raised his voice.
 

They both smiled and at the same time, "Merry Christmas to you too!"
 

He grinned as he stuffed his hands into his pocket and made his way back to his seat.
This season is magical. 
He took a sip of his coffee, it was cold. But his heart still felt warm.

 

Christmas, perhaps one does not need to celebrate to understand the spirit of giving.