Take III

An AD's Story

Someone…and I were waiting for some ice cream we had ordered to come, and she asked, “Kuuchan~ how are you?”

“…Eh…?” There was a tint of shock in my voice towards the unexpected question. “Urm… happy… I’m happy because Nee-chan is here…” And then I answered very simply.

“…Let’s……go to a…concert…” She smiled, I don’t know who that nee-san was, but it was an airheaded and warm smile. Though…she seemed like an incomprehensible person.

Everything turned black for a second. The world spun around and finally flipped over, face flat. A felt a painful pressure on my face and feeling dizzy, I mumbled incoherently:

“…I want to go to a concert…too…” I felt the drool dripping out of my mouth and got up, fighting against my drowsiness. The warmness of the carpeted floor that I had fallen onto along with my blanket didn’t help at all.

Barely getting up, I raised my arm and felt around on the little table that I put next to the bed. I grabbed onto the flat rectangular prism that was a phone and collapsed on the warm ground with my blanket once again.

I don’t--I do not--want to get up.

The time, I should check it. If it’s still early, I can just go back to sleep. And thus, I pressed a few random buttons on the phone in sleepiness and dropped the phone next to my head. The time is…

…9:15 in the morning.

I commence an imaginary spit take in my mind and start to choke on my saliva. Without checking to look at the time on the phone another time, I wiped my drool and jumped up shakily. The sun is a liar because it didn’t wake me up. “GAAHHHH!!!!”

Forgetting about that, I threw off my pajama shirt and grabbed the clothes I had planned to wear for today and put them onto my bed. Then I scrambled downstairs and popped some bread into the toaster.

As I waited for that to finish, I ran into my bathroom, though tripping onto the carpeted stairs twice. I did what normal people do in bathrooms, cough cough. And also, splashed my face with cold, cold water--and it was chilly, like ice cubes.

Pop! The toast is ready. I ran down again and took out the strawberry jam and spread it. Taking a big bite out of it, I munched and left the toast on a plate.

I feel like this is very bad. I grabbed a cup and filled it with water as I applied toothpaste to my toothbrush. As I started to brush, I grabbed the shirt and jacket I planned to wear today and put them on. Truthfully, I wanted to wear a skirt, but pants are fine as well. I grabbed some dark pants and put them on top of my PJs.

I brushed my teeth cleanly and thoroughly--hopefully--and took the cup of water, gargled, and spit out the water with all the toothpasty stuff. Looking in the mirror, my hair was a mess and there was a line left by drool still.

“AGHHH!!!” I’m completely late.

I hastily brushed my hair as I washed my face. The second I thought I looked fine for work, I dropped the brush and towel into the hopefully appropriate places and ran down again after grabbing my phone.

Taking up the toast, I put it in my mouth to eat like an anime character and rushed out the door, of course after grabbing a binder and some mints for later.

Right, I forgot my shoes. Darn, my socks are dirty. I ran back in and took off the socks, slipping into some sneakers.

Riding the train might be too slow. Okay, I have my wallet in here. This is my luck today!!!! Taxi! Taxi! Taxi!!! Why would a taxi be here in a residential area such as this, remind me again? But….!!!

The supposedly yellow car that carries people around for a fee, for some reason I see one without anyone in it. I waved out and called for the taxi and it stopped. (This person is very glad as she never rides these and based off of the American New York dramas, taxis will ignore people many times and just drive away.)

“Where to?”

“Sunshine Sakae Studios, **************” I blurted out the address rapidly. As if hearing me clearly, the driver nodded a few times before saying:

“Okay, I got it.”

Hearing the confirmation, I sighed and loosened up a bit, taking another bite of the toast. I quickly finished my small breakfast.

This is the first time in a taxi for as long as I can remember. The seats are somewhat hard and the inside of the car is quite dark just like many other cars out there. I felt the urge to fall asleep again, but the cool air conditioning that wasn’t completely needed kept me awake.

After a few minutes, I arrived at the destination. The driver told me the amount I needed to pay and I quickly paid--giving the driver a tip in the process. As soon as I finished, I raced out the taxi and headed to the set.

I’m late, I’m late, and I’m so late; this is bad, bad, bad. I should’ve arrived at least an hour earlier. The sun seemed dim today, but I ignored that completely as I raced to stairs and galloped up a few flights of stairs while clinging on to my stuff.

Barging in, I was panting quite hard and started to rapidly sweat. The small amount of people in the room stared at me strangely. Yuria giggled and noted, “Kumi-san, you’re here early.”

I’m early? I looked up at the clock and it read, 5:00 in the morning. That meant that I woke up at 4:15, reading the 4 incorrectly as a 9 and died.

All life drained out of my body at that second and I fell to the ground depressed. One could see my soul flying out of my mouth at that moment.

Noting that I was in the way of the door, a certain beautiful model walked in and nearly tripped on me as I wasn’t finished with my moment of depression. A thin hand grabbed the model’s wrist before she injured herself.

I got up and looked back. It was the DP, Ogiso. “…sorry.”

“It’s ok. No one got hurt.” Kinoa kindly responded before chuckling, “…though you look kind of stressed right now.“

Ogiso just sighed and sent a look towards me. Because, I messed up so badly and nearly caused someone important to hurt herself--that might’ve been one reason. But seeing the friendly interaction between the actress and the camera-girl, I could clearly see another reason to be mad.

“…I woke up today at 4:15 thinking it was 9:15…” I sheepishly muttered and looked away. “Really, I’m sorry, Kinoa-san…”

“No, no, it’s okay. I didn’t get hurt after all.”

The small faced DP clearly frowned at me. Then the two walked away to a different place in the room. A smile and warmth appeared on the faces of those two; they really got along it seemed, though I never noticed until today.

It’d be a waste to just go back and of course, chances are that I won’t be able to go to sleep even if I went back home. Thus, the simple conclusion is to check the weather again as we should be doing off-set filming today and filling a couple of things--after sitting down of course.

Agh…I feel so stupid.

“Kumi-san?” I heard Yuria’s voice call out to me.

Groggily nodding, I mumbled, “Yea?”

“…Are you okay?”

“…I’m…stupid…and sleepy…” Depression…I feel like a moron for mistaking the time for something 5 hours later than it really was. Ok, 4 and 9 do not look that alike on my phone at all.

And then she pouted, puffing up her cute face, and retorted with something I’ve never heard before, “Mou… Kumi-san, you’re not stupid, you’re just sleepy!” I wonder if she messed up in some kind of alternate universe and called me stupid not sleepy.

Hearing Yuria’s encouragement, I giggled.

“Mou… Kumi-san, if you’re sleepy, why’d you come so early…?” Yuria asked with a slight blush on her face--tsundere look alert?

Too lazy to reply clearly, I put my head on the table that I was sitting at and lifted my head up again, “…misread my clock…”

She stifled a laugh. Such a cruel girl…laughing at my sleep deprivation.

 “What about you?”

“Well, I’m supposed to learn how to play an instrument once a sensei comes.”

“What for?” I know I was forgetting something, but I couldn’t think of it.

“…For the drama you silly, I’m in a band.”

I slammed my head into the table feeling idiotic again over the fact that despite being AD and having read through everything so many times that I forgot. Sleep deprivation makes people negative. “…what………instrument…..?”

“Eh… Kumi-san, are you okay? …um…I’m supposed to do the saxophone for some reason.”

The sax, I remember playing that when I was younger. The golden instrument that was…blowy--that was the sax as far as I remember.

Slapping myself on the cheeks twice, I checked my phone for the weather, which incidentally was nice and well, which is good since today is the day of off-set filming and the last day for the first episode. Finishing up that, I turned around in my seat and stared at the round, tanned Yuria.

She stared back awkwardly. And bored, I looked down from her face to her outfit and such, which ended in, “Kumi-san! Are you being a ert!?” She hid her chest away from me, behind her arms.

“Eh!??” I yelped in surprise and my gaze naturally went up to her face and down to her chest. Well, she was attracting my attention; I get distracted easily by her!

“KUMI-SAN NO ECCHI!!” And the next moment I felt a stinging pain in my cheek.  (TTATT) Why do I have to get slapped???? “Eh…gomen…”

“…I’m…okay…” I murmured as I melted onto the table sleepily feeling the throbbing feeling of my cheek.

Looking to Ogiso, she smirked and giggled at the scene of Yagami Kumi. Kinoa wasn’t paying attention and happily chatting with that small faced DP.

For half an hour, we just sat there not doing much and idling around. The thing is that the filming is done in the afternoon because of the actresses’ schedules, even so if I were late as in 10:00 AM late, that’d be bad because the Director-san said I had to despite the fact that otherwise I’d actually have the time off. It’s probably because people want to drag this AD person into helping with the editing for some reason.

The thing is that despite not needing formal qualifications for this, there’s all that other stuff like maybe getting a driver’s license and Safety ****** training course once in a while, which I don’t mind, but that takes up time.

Dying, I laid my cheek on the coldness of the table that soon absorbed my body heat. My hands are kind of healed up, but are still kind of wrapped up, though I almost forgot about that because how easy it is to still do stuff.

I sighed.

“Excuse me…” A creaking sound came from the door and a light voice accompanied with light footsteps rang out into the considerably quiet set. I looked to see who it was, guessing that the new person was the sax sensei.

I raised my eyebrow upon seeing that person. The meek, short black haired woman, I definitely know her. She wore a nametag that wrote [Saxophone Teacher] and down below was,

“…I am…Hata Sawako…um…the saxophone teacher…may I ask, who is Kizaki Yuria-san?” She sent a shy glance towards me before looking around. I know this Hata.

Yuria got up. “Oh, that’s me.”

I guess they’ll leave to do the lesson. I think everyone else--minus Kimoto--already knows how to play their respective instruments. At least, that’s what should be correct.

Well, it’s not my problem… Right? But still, this’ll be a long day…