Gone, not around any longer

Paper & Pens

/Past/

 

"Hyung!" Jongin cried out waving eagerly towards the short boy who just exited out from campus grounds. Jongin had to admit although he was generally taller than most of the college guys, he stuck out like a sore thumb in his high school uniform. He had rushed all the way here after the last bell rang signaling the end of school & also an important date today is. Although he could have spent it with his classmates or have a driver picked him up from his school, Jongin decided to hop on a bus that leads directly to a college nearby where his hyung was studying at to suprise the older & by suprise, he did.

 

Kyungsoo looked up to see the tanned younger decked in the familiar school uniform. Childish & embarrassing much. Kyungsoo could not help but let out a shy smile walking towards the high school student everyone was looking at holding a bouquet of flowers & helium balloons. Kyungsoo clicked his pen & stated writing down on a small piece of yellow post it notepad while walking towards the boy.

 

What are you doing embarrassing yourself & giving me secondhand embarrassment? Jongin did not seem faze as he read the note but proceeded to embrace the smaller boy in a hug & a peck on the cheeks, oblivious the disappointed looks of other girls watching the scene developing in front of them. Jongin did not seem to care & actually love the attention. 

 

"Happy 1 year anniversary hyung" Jongin whispered into Kyungsoo's ear before grabbing the boy & leaving the campus ground far behind. Kyungsoo did not say a word. Of course he remembered that it was their 1st year anniversary. He had gone by fairly well but he could feel the pain in his throw never faltering unless he took those prescribe pills. Jongin & Kyungsoo has found a ways over the slight 'problem' of Kyungsoo's frequent prolonged bad sore throats by communicating through a small notepad that Jongin has given to him on their 4th month together when Jongin complained he could barely made out what Kyungsoo had squeak to him & toss a notepad for him to write. At least their communication level improved greatly after that & it turned out to be a habit between the two. Jongin thought it was cute the way he gets to only solely communicate with his hyung in a special way while Kyungsoo thanked the heavens Jongin did not seem to notice his relief he need not strain his voice. The day went well we both boy enjoying each other company from watching a movie that was just released to eating at the regular food stall down nearby the school & finally now settled at Luhan's cafe to end such a lovely wonderful & fateful day. Both boys had things they have been keeping inside, it was more than a secret but it was a fact each of them know will ultimately leave the other sad, opressed & down right angry at the other. Each though did not want to spoil the atmosphere. Time was ticking by for both as the secret each held was getting closer & closer to being revealed on it's own.

 

"Happy 1st anniversary guys!" Luhan came back to the couple with drinks on his tray, caramel latte for Jongin & the usual plain water for Kyungsoo. The couple interlace their hands & acknowledge the chinese barista while Jongin thanked him. Turning back his attention to Kyungsoo, he gave a loving stare towards the older, never once blinking his eyes, wanting never to lose a precious second not staring at those round eyes he love & those heart shaped lips he first kissed almost a year ago in an empty classroom & in a toilet. 

 

Stop staring at me like that. Kyungsoo passed the note over to Jongin's side. He saw the younger scribbled down some words before passing it back. How can such an immature boy have such sweet endearing words? Kyungsoo thought. Never once did they let go of their interlocked fingers, just taking in each other warmth while each drank their respective drinks on their free hand. No words verbally exchanged, just scribbled words & occasional giggles. 

 

===

 

"Kyungsoo you'd have to tell Jongin one day you know. He's bound to found out soon too & you have a surgery coming up! I don't want that poor boy to be shock beyond belief plus didn't the doctor say with that you'd be off the hook?" Luhan tried to reason with Kyungsoo. Everytime he does, he always fail to convince the younger but the situation has come to a standstill where time is definitely not in their favour anymore. Luhan felt his phone buzz & took it out to check it knowing Kyungsoo would be the one texting him though they were in the same room. Soon? How soon is it going to be? Luhan was baffled by the response he just read. He lost the argument again. He can never win stubborn Kyungsoo. 

 

===

 

"What do you mean I have to leave on the last day? Don't I get to say goodbye first to everyone around me!?" Jongin cried out. He was in the study facing a middle-aged man well groomed in a suit & was sitting behind an antique desk. Mr Kim had expected such a reaction from his son to say the very least but he could not handle how immature the kid was taking the matter. He had arranged for his son to be accepted into one of the best college in the world that the boy had personally chosen just a year before. What made him suddenly want to stay here any longer? 

 

"You were the one who wanted this so badly. I've given it to you & this is how I'm repaid?" Mr Kim bellowed shocking the high school teenager. Jongin knew he had cross the line talking back to his father like that but how could he leave Kyungsoo like that? He could not bare the thought of it.

 

"I don't want to go alone dad! You know my english is still not as good enough" Jongin tried to reason. He came out with excuses just so he can make his dad agree to letting him at least stay a day or two longer than planned. 

 

"No the decision is final Jongin. You are not coming back till you have a degree in your hands mister & of course I'm not letting you go alone. I have tasked Xiumin to accompany you." Mr Kim announced & right on cue a knock was heard & came in was a boy with round cheeks that badly needed a pinch. Jongin could not believe his dad would have let such a person be the one accompanying him. Behind that bubbly face is a cold character if Jongin did not forget. He remembered how the cheeks of the boy laughing can turn sunken & emotionless in a blink of his eye. He shuddered. Now he has to think of a way to break the news to Kyungsoo.

 

===

 

{D-1} Jongin's phone flashed. It was his last paper that day but his mind was on another particular matter. He had yet to tell Kyungsoo about his departure. It's not like he was leaving forever he thought, just a few years & he will have Kyungsoo back in his arms. Plus he can let Kyungsoo come here to visit him when their holidays clashed. He smiled, nothing wrong thinking on the positive things he reasoned. I'd tell him later for sure.

 

{D-2} Kyungsoo's phone flashed. He still had to tell Jongin about the surgery but he could not bring himself to do so. Imagine the stress he would inflict onto the boy who was having his college exams. The last thing he want is Jongin flunking the exams worrying about Kyungsoo. The surgery was 95% success rate & after that he need not care about the burning pain in his neck after that. He'd be able to sing again & finally Jongin & him would finally be able to converse like what normal couple do instead of scribbling down on a pathetic notepad. I'd tell him later for sure.

 

FINALLY. Jongin is now a freeman! Free from exams (for now) FREE FREE FREE. The huge burden lifted of of him finally but the weight started to comeback ten-fold. His departure was exactly 20 hours from now. He had to find Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo phone buzzed. He smiled at the selca sent to him by Jongin looking happy that his exams have ended & that the younger was on his was to meet Kyungsoo. Perfect. Kyungsoo thought as he grabbed his coat & exited his campus library. The two met at Luhan's cafe. Kyungsoo already had some notes prepared to congratulate the younger with that he had dcorated a few hours ago in between study breaks at the library.

 

The two spent the hour talking about almost everything that came onto their mind but not on what each had wanted to say. Kyungsoo could see the younger boy had somehing bothering him but he himself had to make sure he had not given the facade away either. He finally, with a deep brethe wrote down onto the yellow notepad.

 

If I asked something for you to fuffil would you? 

"Of course hyung what type of question is that?"

I dare you not to contact me for a day starting tomorrow. 

"W-what? Why would I? Are you crazy"

 Chicken

"I may love chicken but hey! Why would I want to take up such a dare?"

 So are you giving up chicken maniac?

"Only on one condition" 

You & your conditions.. (>^>)

"You promise never to forget me" 

Who is the crazy one here then?

 

Both boys started laughing & were relieved. They had told what they had plan to although vaguely.

 

 

===

 

The day has been going pretty smoothly. Kyungsoo was emptying his locker full of books into a box so he can bring home since he'd be missing a few weeks of school. Luhan had offered to help much to Kyungsoo's delight. He was all set waiting for Luhan's call & was happy his phone did not once lit up with a call or text from a certain tanned boy. No calls or text messages from Jongin. Kyungsoo was sort of relieved & positive if Jongin could live a day without him he could live another day or week without him. Just in time for him to be able to speak verbally again. The shock on the younger boy's face was already imagined by the doe-eyed boy. He suddenly felt his phone vibrate. About time Lu-ge...

 

"Hyung, I- I'm sorry. You can hate me for breaking the promise."

Kyungsoo could not believe his ears. He heard flights details being voiced over in the background & ultimately he heard Jongin speaking to him with so much regret & he could feel the younger was crying. What is happening?? Why is Jongin crying??

The phone line went dead. Kyungsoo felt his body suddenly become so heavy as tears began rolling down his pale cheeks. He shouted into the phone hysterically with no care towards his surrounding of students walking pass him in the hallway or the pain burning in his throat. All he could think of was the person on the end of the (now) dead line.

"JONGIN! KIM JONGIN!"

 

It was of no use. The line was dead just like that and the person at the other end was gone.

GONE.

Kyungsoo could not help but breakdown in the middle of the hallway. Sobbing hard from the fact that his throat was hurting one hell lot & was Jongin leaving him? His sobs became harder after every call he tried to go through would not pass the operator. Jongin is gone. Kyungsoo had a surgery tomorrow. Nothing was going right. He could feel the pain in his neck worsening every passing second. He suddenly felt light as he closed his eyes before hearing someone calling for his name. 

 

"KYUNGSOO!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This will probably be the last time I'm writing about the past. The rest of the story will focus in the future. If some readers may not understand, the underlined parts is Kyungsoo writing into the notepad & the mini conversation as you would have guessed is between Kyungsoo writing & Jongin talking verbally. I know I've not explain what Kyungsoo is actually suffering from but you guys will figure out soon enough! Also this is where the loveline of Kyungsoo & Luhan actually began to flourish. Kinda sad though like Luhan had said their love story did not begin like any fairytale beginning (>__<) I hope you guys have understood the flow of the story so far. Do drop me a comment & subscribe to all the new readers. :)