Chapter Five

When I Look at the Stars

Siyoung was walking home from the book store alone. “I hope I bought all the books that I need.” Siyoung said to herself. “Too bad that bookstore is going to close soon. Sigh…” Yang Siyoung is bookworm. She likes reading as much as she likes Junhyung, her classmate. Siyoung is always seen reading – in class, during break time and even walking to and from school.

She thought of having some fresh air at the playground while reading her book. When she reached the playground, she saw a guy sitting at her favourite spot. She heard small sniffs and she smelled his cologne. “Junhyung.” She thought to herself.

 

She has known Junhyung for four years since she moved to the neighbouhood. The first time she saw Junhyung was when she was assigned to sit next to Junhyung in class - the day she transferred to the high school.

“Yang Siyoung, you can sit at the back next to Yong Junhyung,” the teacher said and smiled. Junhyung looked up the moment he heard his name been called. “Junhyung, take good care of your friend here, alright?” Junhyung glanced at Siyoung for a second and looked away. Siyoung kept her cool although she felt a bit scared of Junhyung’s coldness towards her on her first day. After getting to her seat, Siyoung took out her stationeries and getting ready to study. That is when she heard Junhyung said; almost seem like a whisper, “welcome.” That was Junhyung’s first word to her and she blushed.

After that day, Siyoung and Junhyung would exchange words or even few sentences to each other. They became friends. Friends that sit next to each other, friends that will wake each other up in class, friends that will only talk to each other when it is necessary and friends that share glances here and there. They are that kind of friend. Nothing less and nothing more. But Siyoung is comfortable with their situations. Junhyung too.

 

“Yahh… Yong Junhyung.” Siyoung called out to him. Junhyung turned around and with one glance, Siyoung could see that Junhyung facial expression was not that good. “Has he been crying? But why? Or is he sick?” Siyoung got worried. For the past four years, she has never seen Junhyung in that state before. Even when she attended his parents’ funeral, Junhyung was calm. She thought maybe because Junhyung needs to be strong in front of her sister. She felt sorry for both of them, but she knew Junhyung very well that he would not like it when someone shows pity for him. So she acts as per normal towards Junhyung.

“Yahh, that’s my spot.” Siyoung tried to start the conversation. “Ahh, mian.” Junhyung stood up and sit on the other swing. “What are you doing here? I have never seen you hanging around here before.” Siyoung said while looking at her book trying to read. Junhyung kept quiet.

“Where is Jiwoo? I saw her at the bakery when I walked passed there. Is she working there?” Siyoung tried again. “Ouh, yeah.” Junhyung answered. Siyoung ran out of ideas to talk to Junhyung so she kept quiet and read her book. They both sat quietly on the swings without any conversation.

Junhyung was still caught up with his problem about Dujun. He was very worried about Jiwoo’s safety now that Dujun knew where she works. Anything could happen.  He is planning on how to persuade Jiwoo to stop working at the bakery although he knew that Jiwoo would not agree. Jiwoo is known for her stubbornness.

After a long ten minutes, Junhyung stood up and said, “Yahh, Yang Siyoung. Don’t stay here too late. Go home and have a rest. See you tomorrow.” Then he left. After a few steps, Junhyung turned around and said,

thanks.

He smiled and walked away.

Siyoung blushed.

*****

Jiwoo’s pace got quicker as she was still unable to find Junhyung anywhere. There is no other way to contact Junhyung as both of them have sold their phones away to use the money to pay hosue bills. “Oppa, where are you? You are okay, right?” Jiwoo was getting very worried.

Suddenly she bumped into someone at the corner of the pavement. “Ouch. I’m so sorry! I didn’t see….” Jiwoo rubbed her forehead and looked up.

It was him.

Dujun was frowning. Jiwoo got terrified and kept bowing while saying sorry. Junhyung who was on the way going home saw Jiwoo and Dujun and he felt that this time he needs to interfere before antyhing bad happens. He bravely walked towards them and grabbed Jiwoo’s elbow to bring her away.

Dujun smirked and said, “Well well, what we have here. Our two loving siblings who have just lost their parents to an accident. What to do, that is Mr Yong and Mrs Yong’s punishment after causing haywire in my family!”

Junhyung was about to leave but he stopped his steps when he heard what Dujun has just said. Junhyung stared at him.

Jiwoo was hurt by Dujun’s words and blurted, “Yahh Yoon Dujun! Don’t you dare mention about our parents’ name anymore!! You better …” “Jiwoo-ahh, stop it. Let’s go.” Junhyung tried to calm Jiwoo down and make them leave.

“Yong Jiwoo, this is just the beginning of your misery. Remember that!” Dujun shouted and kicked an empty canned drink away.

 

“Yong Jiwoo, you’ll regret this!”

 

 

 

I added Yang Siyoung character to put in more sparks in Junhyung's character.

Let's see how their relationships will grow.

Comments are most appreciated. hugsandkisses.