Chapter Four

When I Look at the Stars

Upon reaching home, Jiwoo ran to the veranda outside their house and lay there. Looking up to the dark starry sky, she said to herself, “omma, appa. How are you doing up there?” she closed her eyes and prayed that her parents are happy in the other world together.

“You saw what happened just now at the bakery right? Hmmmm.. why did he do that? Why was he there? Did he try to something bad to me? Omma, appa. Look after me and oppa, okay! Tell oppa that we will be okay. Tell oppa to stop worrying about me. I’m a big girl now, right? Tell oppa to share his burden with me. Oppa is still the same. He still keeps his problems to himself.” That was when she realized that the house was dark and no signs that his brother is in the house. She got up from the veranda and start searching the house. “Oppa, OPPA!” Jiwoo exclaimed. Junhyung was not in the house.

Sudddenly, the image of Dujun’s stern face came to her mind. She began to panic. She got out from the house and started running around the neighbourhood searching for his brother. Wild imaginations started playing in her mind. She knew that Dujun could do anything to make them suffer. Please don’t let anything bad happen to oppa! Jiwoo’s step got quicker and her imaginations went wilder.

*****

Junhyung wandered around the neighbourhood while still thinking about what had just happened to his sister and Dujun. He was so shocked and panicked at the same time. He got confused and quickly walked away to avoid Dujun after he saw Dujun left Jiwoo. He walked aimlessly and reached the playground. He sat on a swing and slowly swinging himself.

 

Appa, wake up!! Please, open your eyes!

Please don’t leave me and omma!

Appa, I don’t want to stay with haraboji. He is so mean to me and omma!

Please appa, wake up!!

 

That scene will stay in Junhyung’s mind forever. He is now in his early twenties, so, a decade has past and it was still fresh in his mind and Dujun’s tears and mourning was still very vivid in his mind. Junhyung still remembers how his parents kept bowing and begged for forgiveness from Dujun’s mother. Junhyung could still feel the pain from Dujun’s punches.

 

“I hate you!” Dujun punched his stomach a few times.

“I hate you too!” Dujun shouted and stared at Jiwoo who was hiding behind her parents and shaking due to scare at watching Dujun’s anger.

"I won't let you go away just like that!" Dujun wiped his tears.

"Your family will regret this!"

 

Everytime he recalled all that, Junhyung will blame himself. Junhyung sighed and looked up to the sky. It was a starry night. “Mr Yoon, Mrs Yoon, I am very sorry. I didn’t mean for all that to happen to your family.” He looked down at his shoes. “ Dujun, mian. Mianhae.” Tears started to form and in Junhyung’s eyes.

“Yahh… Yong Junhyung.” Junhyung heard someone called him from behind. He turned.

 

It was her.