Chapter Twelve

When I Look at the Stars

“Yah, let go of him!”

 

The four boys who were punching and kicking Juhyung stopped and turned around to find the owner of the voice.

“I SAID LET HIM GO. RIGHT NOW!”

The nine year old petite boy said with a stern face while holding his soccer ball and a pair of soiled boots.

“Hahaha. Hey kid, are you sure you wanna get into this as well?” One of the boys said while coming closer to that petite boy.

Those boys are at least two years older than me, the small-built boy thought to himself.

But he had no choice but to in or his only friend would be beaten badly.

“You know what, my father will be here in no time, so guys better stop and get lost!” he continued. “He is strong policeman.” The boy tried his hard to hide his fear and blurted out that statement even though it’s a white lie.

The four boys came closer and closer, smirks clearly shown on their faces.

Suddenly, a police car siren was heard and the four boys started to panic. The lucky boy took the chance to strike. He ran towards the boys and threw his soccer ball to one of them, threw his pair of boots to the other two and pushed the last one hard till he fell to the ground. The petite boy then screamed, “Oh appa! Over here, quick!” The boys who were in pain quickly got up and ran away.

Once he saw that all the boys had ran away, he quickly ran to Junhyung, “yah, you owe me a big one!” he helped Junhyung to stand up and they walked back home together.

 

“Do you know how scared I was back then? How did you even get into that mess? You should be thankful that you have a genius friend like me.” he ended with a small chuckle. Probably feeling proud of himself.

Nothing to be proud of, Yoon Dujun. You are just lucky the police cars were making their rounds. Your father is busy at his factory, I’m pretty sure.”

“Shut up. I saved you, so just zip your mouth.” Dujun frowned.

 

When they reached home, Junhyung’s mother welcomed them as usual.

“Welcome home, young master! I have prepared your favourite Kimchi-jig… Oh no, Junhyung-ah, what happened to you?” Mrs Yong, who has worked with the Yoon’s family for almost 5 years, was shocked to see his son’s condition.

Junhyung ignored his mother and entered the house and let go of Dujun’s grip. He limped to his room.

“I saved him from some boys who were beating him up. But he did not even say thank you.” Dujun showed his sad face to Mrs Yong.

“Oh dear, young master, I’m very sorry to trouble you. I will talk to him right away!” Mrs Yong bowed and went to the room.

Why did I even befriend with that punk kid.

So full of himself!

Dujun said to himself while shaking his head. He then went to the counter to fill his stomach with his favourite kimchi jigae.

*****

 

“Yah Yong Junhyung! Wait for me. Let’s go to school together!” Dujun said while tying his shoelace.

Junhyung, being himself, ignored his best friend and continued walking without even slowing down.

“Yahh, can’t you wait for me? Even for a minute?” Dujun complained and as usual, he was ignored.

This kid…really.

Dujun just shook his head and handed him his lunch box that Mrs Yong asked him to pass it to Junhyung and also prepared him one.

Junhyung took it from Dujun’s hand without any words.

“You’re most welcome.” Dujun smacked his head and ran away from Junyung. He laughed.

Junhyung was shocked by his hit. He then smiled and chased him till they reached school.

“Yahh, come back here Yoon Dujun. You are gonna get it from me!”

******

 

“Don’t forget to come to my soccer tournament later!” Dujun said when they were having their lunch.

“I can’t. I need to sleep.”

“I don’t care. If you are not there, I won’t play.”

“Do whatever you want Dujun. I don’t care too.”

“If you are not there, I’m not going home tonight.”

“That’s good enough for me. The house will be very quiet.”

“If you are not there, I won’t be your friend anymore. Bye.” Dujun brushed Junhyung’s hair and left him.

That evening, before his match started, Dujun glanced through the crowd and saw him.

At the corner, with his headphone fixed to his ears, Junhyung was seating there with his annoyed face.

Dujun winked to him and off he went to the field.

We’re gonna win this match! Dujun said to himself.

*****

 

“Get up already Yoon Dujun!” Junhyung shouted as he entered Dujun’s room.

“I’m not going.”

“Lost your mind? You wanna get smack by Mr Yoon for playing hooky? Come on, get up now!”

Junhyung was about to hit Dujun’s head hard when he heard Dujun was taking heavy breaths.

“Yahh, are you sick?”

“…”

Junyung touched Dujun’s forehead and it was very hot.

“Yah, you are sick! Why did you just keep quiet? Micheosso? Wait here.”

Junhyung left Dujun’s room to seek his mother’s help.

“Omma, Dujun. He’s very sick. Quick, help me!”

Junhyung helped to carry the lukewarm water in the pail to Dujun’s room.

“Young master, do you need me to call the family doctor? You are shivering. It’s quite bad." Mrs Yong was getting worried.

“I’m just down with normal fever. It’s okay.” Dujun whispered.

“Yahh Yoon Dujun! Don’t try to act smart. You are shivering, goddamit. Omma, go and call Dr.Shin" Junhyung was getting annoyed with Dujun's stubbornness.

“And you” pointing to Dujun, “Stay in bed. I’ll be back after school.”

Junhyung then left for school with a heavy heart.

“Don’t fall sick anymore, Dujun-ah.”

 

 

 

That was how their friendship was back ago.

Inseparable.

Even Jiwoo got jealous. Because Junhyung won’t play with her if Dujun was around. Jiwoo had always hated Dujun because of that. And Dujun had always avoided Jiwoo because he did not feel comfortable around her.

But all the precious memories were tarnished by the tragedy.