21st of January, Age 8

Life with Do Kyungsoo

I sat by the window, with wide and curious eyes looking at all the children accompanied by their parents walking down my street. I wonder what they were doing at 8 in the morning, all dressed in cozy jackets since it was still chilly outside.

Luhan caught me staring, so he came to me and sat by the window with me, looking at the view alongside me.

“What’s wrong?”

“Luhan, why don’t I have a mom and a dad?” I eyed him, at the time, not knowing the seriousness in the question. It sounded innocent to me. Why didn’t I have a Mama? Kyungsoo’s Mama was not my Mama, I was sure of that. And Kyungsoo wasn’t my Appa, that I also knew. So I wondered why I seemed to be the only child without a mommy and daddy.

He gasped and cleared his throat awkwardly, fixing his gaze outside the window.

“Because you’re special! You have twelve oppas! They only have two parents, but you, being a very special girl, have twelve of them!”

I smiled widely and squealed happily. I showed my tongue at the people passing by and quickly closed the curtains, not wanting to get in trouble. Luhan chuckled and took my hand saying he wanted to go spy on the others. I automatically agreed and followed him.

When the night fell, Kyungsoo took me to bed and instantly, Chanyeol appeared by the door, grinning widely at me and jumping onto the bed, making me squeal like a baby. Kyungsoo settled by sitting down on the rocking chair next to my bed and listened to the story Chanyeol was telling me so cheerfully, laughing along with me at some of the cheesy jokes the other boy made. I was the happiest during the night. I always felt the most loved at night.

When they left, saying it was time to park my boat and take a nap, I closed my eyes. Only to open them minutes after when some noise reached my perked ears. I got up slowly and made my way to the door, twisting the door knob slowly and peeking outside the hallway. I could make up Kyungsoo’s voice and Luhan’s voice, and a rush of clinginess overcame me. I wanted to run towards them, but decided not to disturb them. Besides, I should be sleeping, and if Kyungsoo catched me, he would scold me.

So I stood there and listened.

“She needs to know, Kyungsoo! She’s starting to question it…”

“She does not need to know, hyung. And if she questions it again, make something up. I am her parent, and that’s final.”

“You are going to get in so much trouble when she gets older…”

“Goodnight, Luhan.”