Episode 2.

You're Me

Two months after joining our family, Yoona became accoustomed to us. I don't remember when or how exactly it happened but the crying stopped. Instead, she would still wake up in the middle of the night, make her way to my bedroom and tuck herself in bed with me.Which worked for me just fine, really.

 

Just when I thought my life was back to normal again though, Neya started to sleep with us too.

 

"like Yoona," she would say.

 

The bed fit both the small Yoona and I just well but with another person in it, it was getting rather uncomfortable.

 

Neya was getting jealous a lot actually. When my mom or I held Yoona, she would tug at us and say she wants to be held up, "like Yoona."

 

I was hoping that Neya would grow out of her jealousy but the more years that passed, the more her jealous she became. Not too long after she started the "like Yoona," trend, her young and innocent heart was tainted with something that wasn't normal for a girl who's only four years old. 

 

Haterd.

 

"She's an intruder," she said, one day while they were bickering about who gets to sit in my lap, "she's not our sister!"

 

I was ready to attack my little sister but my dad was present, he yelled at her and grounded her for two weeks. I remember Neya was so angry she marched to her room and didn't eat dinner with us.

 

That very night, I woke up at the sound of knocking on my door. I squinted my eyes and tried to see who had entered my room but it was dark.

 

Sitting up, I managed to get a glimpse of my visitor.

 

It was little Yoona!

 

"What's wrong, Yoong?" I asked. Her expression was gloomy and full of pain. But there were no tears.

 

At such young age, my little Yoona had started to hold her pain in so she wouldn't bother others. It hurt me to see her trying to hold it in even in front of me. It meant she was hiding her emotions from me too.

 

She had just turned four for god's sake!

 

Yoona walked slowly towards the bed and jumped on me, wrapping her hands around my own and bigger body.  I tried to free my hands so I can hug her back but she didn't let me.

 

"Don't hide from me, Yoona," I said, "what happened?"

 

"I don't have a family. Neya is right, I don't look like you, Kris Oppa or even Umma and Appa," Yoona said in a choked voice.

 

"No, little girl. That's not right, you are a family to us. We love you...a lot. It's just Neya is jealous," I said gently while inside I was thinking about throwing Neya in the dirty garden-bathroom that was filled with cockroaches and lock her in.

 

"But you're not my family," Yoona said, pulling away from me. Her face was stained with tears, she was crying in my chest.

 

"No, we're your family," I assured her, "You see, you have two families, one in heaven and one here. Neya is jealous because she only got one."

 

She looked up and smiled weakly, "When we grow up, will you take me to a house for just the two of us?"

 

I tilted my head, "Why?"

 

"I don't want to live with Neya anymore," she replied.

 

"What about Dad and Mom?" I asked.

 

"We'll visit them," she answered and I chuckled at her thinking.

 

"But a guy and a girl only move together if they're married," I informed her. She looked at me and smiled an innocent smile. That smile and the words she said next were craved in my memory forever.

 

"Then we'll get married," she said casually.

 

I was left speechless, she did not know what marriage meant and I didn't know it that well either back then (I was only seven) but I knew it wasn't something that simple. You kiss the person you marry for god's sake! Just the though of me kissing little Yoona made me want to puke!


"I-I-" I tried to explain to Yoona that it wasn't that simple but she pouted as tears started to roll down her cheeks.

 

"You don't want to marry me because you want to marry Neya, Changmin! I knew it!" Yoona cried and pulled herself out of my bed.

 

"I can't marry my own sister, you moron," I said to her. Yoona's lack of knowledge annoyed me. How can someone not know that you can't marry your own sister?!

 

"But I'm your sister too, aren't I?" Yoona turned back to look at me from the door.

 

"Come here, Yoona, let me explain," I opened my hands wide for her and she walked into them. I turned her body around so her back was facing me and I placed my head on her shoulder as I rocked us backwards and forward.

 

"You are my sister, but you're special. You, I can marry but I can't marry Neya," I told her.

 

"Why?" She asked.

 

"I don't know. But that's how it is, because God says so," I replied.

 

She grinned, "so,Changmin, will you marry me after we're old?"



My eyes widened, "Yoona!" I hissed in her ears, "lets sleep, I have school tomorrow."

 

We lay back on the bed and I pulled the blanket over us. But I didn't sleep, I just kept imagining myself kissing Yoona and shook my head violently everytime the Yoona and Changmin in my imagination were inches apart.
***********


That year, I ranked first in my class(I just finished second grade) so my parents decided to take us to the beach the week after.

 

My Dad, Kris and I were swimming in the deep blue water. Kris and I learned swimming in school(Kris just graduated from kindergarten) while the girls played on the beach with my Mom watching them.

 

Neya and Yoona were driving my Mom crazy with their not-so-unusual quarreling.

 

"Changmin-ah!" I heard my Mom calling. I knew why she called me so I pretended to not hear her. Maybe she would call Kris instead, maybe she would call Dad, but nope, she continued to chant my name.

 

Sighing, I unwillingly forced my body out of the cool water and headed towards them.

 

"Take Yoona and play with her," my mom commanded.

 

"But Mom, I want to swim inside too!" I whined.

 

"Don't raise your voice and do as I said!" my Mom shouted, she was not usually like this but she was very frustrated as Neya and Yoona were sticking out their tongues at each other.

 

Yoona was still very to tiny back then and I was too tall for my age too so it wasn't hard for me to pick her up.  We looked at least 5 years apart, not just three.

 

"Let's go Changmin Oppa," Yoona said brightly. She didn't usually call me Oppa and I knew she only did to aggrevate Neya who wanted to be the only one that gets to call me "Oppa".

 

We walked about half a mile away before I stopped and placed her on her own feet.


I was so upset I didn't get to swim because of the crybaby Yoona so I didn't chat or play with her.

 

Yoona dashed towards the water and called me to play with her. I glared in response and sat on the warm sand. She came to me and put her hand on mine and kept trying to pull me up.

 

"I don't want to play,Yoona!" I shouted, looking the other way and yanking my hand free of her grib.


Giving up, little Yoona took easy steps towards the water then tripped and fell on her face. I ran to her and pulled her up quickly.

 

"Are you okay?" I asked. She coughed out a lot of water before breaking into a smile.

 

"I want to try that again," Yoona simply said.

 

I was ready to laugh but my Mom was running towards us with a scary expression on her face.

 

"I saw that!" She yelled at me before turning her attention to Yoona, "Are you okay, dear?"

 

"Yeah..." Yoona answered.

 

My Mom took Yoona from my hands and held her into her own, "I told you to take care of her! What if something bad happened?!"

 

I started heating up again, "she was in the water for barely five seconds! I was watching her. The clumsy brat tripped again, so what?!"

 

"Don't you dare yell at me, Shim Changmin!" my Mom shouted, "You should've been next to her!"

 

It was the voice of Neya that caught our attention and calmed us both, a little, "look, they're fighting because of you."

 

Yoona looked back at Neya then up to my Mom then to me.

 

"Yoona is sorry," Yoona said gloomily.

 

My Mom heaved a sigh, "Neya, no more swimming for you. Changmin, just take Yoona and play with her."

 

I started to fume with anger again, "I'm going to swim, Mom. You're not being fair."

 

I was planning to walk away but My mom's tender voice stopped me, "Son, why're you behaving like this?"

 

I looked back and it wasn't my Mom's hurt expression that calmed me, it was Yoona who's hands were stretched in front of her towards me, trying to reach me that did. Guilt washed over me and a sigh escaped my lips.

 

"Come here, little girl," I grinned and took Yoona into my arms. She smiled back as I put her up into the air and twirled around with her.

 

"She loves you the most, you know that, right?" my Mom pointed out with a sincere warm smile.

 

I spent the remaining time on the beach playing with Yoona. After we were done, my mom asked me to get the sand off Yoona's clothes, wash them and change the little girl's clothes.

 

I was used to it, taking care of Yoona had been my responsibility since her first week in our house so I didn't argue this time. 

 

I did promise her to be her family, now, didn't I?

 

A/N thank you everyone who subscribed and commented! <3 I hope you enjoyed this one too!