Episode 1.

You're Me

I was six when Yoona first set her feet into our house. She was just three back then. Neya, Kris and I were informed by my dad that her parents had died in a car accident while we were eating breakfast.

 

Both Kris and Neya were delighted that they now have a new friend to play with.

 

How did I feel? I was indifferent. I was six and their childish games did not peak my interest.

 

If I had to describe the child Yoona in one word it would be"crybaby".

 

Our life turned into chaos after she joined it.

 

She would cry slash scream while we're eating, we're watching TV, while my mom is cooking, and worst of all , while we're sleeping.

 

On her first day, she cried herself to sleep on the sofa. My mom looked at her then turned to my dad.

 

"Honey, let's have her sleep with us tonight. I'm afraid she'll wake up at night and panic," my mom said, her eyes softly studying the new orphan.

 

"You're right, I'll go move her bed to our room," my dad agreed.

 

My mom glanced at me and smiled, "Changmin is all grown up now, I think he can help you."

 

Like every other child, I enjoyed mymom's complements very much. I stood up proudly and helped move the brat's bed from my little sister, Neya's room to my parents'.

 

That was the first of many things I did later for Yoona's comfort.

**********

 

The screaming filled my room and seemed to shake my bed.

 

It was that brat's horrible screaming again.

 

I was so ticked off. It was only 5:00Am and a Sunday too!

 

When the crying continued, I went to my parents' room.

 

"Mom, why is that brat not shutting up?" I asked rather quietly because no matter how angry I was, I knew my manners.

 

"She's been crying all night," my mom sighed weakly, she was exhausted, I could tell by the dark circles under her eyes " your dad went to sleep in Kris' room since he has work but goodness gracious, this girl can't stop crying!"

 

"Maybe you should take her back to her aunt," I suggested. Her aunt was alive and had been taking care of her for two weeks before my family took her in.

 

"Her aunt can't afford raising her with two other kids, sweetheart," my mom said and patted my cheeks gently, "Don't worry, Yoona will get used to us soon and she'll stop crying. It's just she doesn't know us very well."

 

I nodded though I didn't  believe= it myself, it looked like we'll just have to get used to the crying.

 

"Don't forget to move her bed to Netya's room again," My mom reminded me.

 

My mom's trust in me made me proud. She treated me like a man. A strong man who could move a bed from one room to another without the help of his dad! 

***********

 

On one of the following nights, I woke up to that brat's crying again. I tried to tune her out since I was, somehow, used to it. She had been staying in our house for almost a week then. I waited for my mom to make her shut that little pink mouth of hers but she didn't.

 

Eventually, I got up myself with the thought of teaching the brat a lesson myself.

 

I almost walked to my parents' bedroom before remembering that she was now in Neya's bedroom which was right next to mine.

 

I walked into the room to find that Neya had waken up too and was watching Yoona screaming out loud with wide open.

 

I lifted her in my arms and started patting her back as I made my way to my parents bedroom. Originally, I was going to wake my mom up but before I knocked on her door, I remembered how tired both of my parents must be since they had to nurse the brat every night the past week.

 

I twirled my body and continued to patt the brat's back until we were both inside my room with the door closed.

 

I tried placing her on my bed but her crying only increased so I was forced to hold her in my arms again, thank god she wasn't heavy.

 

I opened my drawer and took out some of my old toys, I placed them on the bed and tried to put the brat on the bed and thankfully, this time she stopped crying.

 

She was occupied with the little toys for a while before looking up to me. She gave me that childish look that meant 'entertain me'. She stared at me and waited for me to do something but I just looked back at her.

 

Then ever so slowly, she bit her lips and her eyes started glowing  with tears that might fall at any moment.I knew if I didn't do something, she would start crying again.

 

I tried making faces for her but her face only got redder. So I did what I don't usually do.

 

I sang and danced.

 

"Oh I'm a gummy bear, yea I'm a gummy bear," I sang and moved my hands in the air to the song we learned in primary school.

 

I twirled around as I countiued, "Oh I'm a funny yummy gummy bear."


And to my suprise, soft happy voices came out of the brats pink small lips.

 

I stopped and smiled at her, "Are you laughing at me?"

 

She giggled and fell back on the bed, "You are laughing at me, are you not?" I repeated as I jumped next to her on the bed and looked down at her angelic face.

 

I found that she closed her eyes very tightly as she continued to laugh quietly.

 

"Brat," I mouthed, and starting ticking her tummy, she liked it. Her laughter filled the room and I continued to tickle her eve more, "you like that, Yoona?"

 

She laughed and laughed and my smile only grew wider until I too started laughing.

 

When my hands were tired of the tickling, I laid back on my bed near her and continued to laugh along with her. Finally, the laughter subdued and I glanced over to Yoona.

 

She had fallen asleep. Her eyes were closed calmly and lips slightly parted.  I looked at the clock on the nightstand and found out that it was 5:30AM. Finally, I closed my eyes and allowed myself to sleep.

Next to the bratty angel.

************

 

The next morning my mom stormed into the room, "What's Yoona doing here, Changmin?"

 

I yawned as I tried to move away from Yoona who was sleeping on my arm, "She woke up last night and started crying and you didn't hear her so I brought her here and tried to get her to sleep."

 

My Mom came and ruffled my hair affectionately, "That's very nice of you, my dear son, I have to say, I'm lucky to have you as my son."

 

I smiled proudly up at my mom and said, "it was nothing."
************


I heard her crying again the very following night. I got up and brought her to my room.

 

Something about her crying was different from the usual bawling she did. Usually she would scream but this time, she sobbed making very quite hurt noises. It was a miracle that I heard her crying in the first place.

 

"Ma," she cried, "ma!"

 

"You miss your Mom, Yoona?" I asked and even though I wasn't old back then, I felt sad for the brat.

 

"Mama..." She repeated.

 

Little Yoona had lost the most important people for a child, her parents.

 

She probably still remembered them and missed them.

 

 

That night, I hummed to her some song I learned from TV and hugged her tightly until she feel asleep with her face still stained with tears.
************


For the next few days, every time Yoona woke up, I hear her first and bring her to my room where she would sleep soundly next to me. And for some reason, I wasn't as annoyed with her as I should've been. Actually, I kind of liked it.

 

Her warm body next to mine, the way she breathed softly. It all made me happier to have her in the room with me. You could say the Changmin who liked being treated as a man, wanted to take responsibility of the little girl.

 

One day while we were playing, I tried to teach her my name.

 

"Say, Changmin," I demanded.

 

She ignored me and continued to play with my brown teddy bear.

 

I moved the teddy bear away, she threw me a disappointed look but I didn't give it back.

 

"You're Yoona, I'm Changmin," I said, "Changmin."

 

The brat just stared then broke out laughing.

 

"Yoona," I said pointing at her, a little frustrated then pointed towards myself and said, "Chang-meeen"

 

Yoona tilted her head in confusion.

 

"Yooooooona!" I almost emphasised while pointing at her, then pointed at myself "Changmeeeeeeeeeen."

 

"Who is this?" I asked, pointing at her.

 

"I'm O-oona!" She replied proudly and I grinned in trimph. I thought she was smart for being able to say that but I later learned from my Mom that a three-years old should be able to speak more fluently. And she did talk often before the car accident.

 

I pointed at myself and asked, "Who is this?"

 

"You're me!" She said putting her index in my chest--in my heart and I instantly loved her.

 

 I laughed and shook my head at her sillyness.

 

"Chang Min, " I tried again " I'm Ch An Mi N., Changmin."

 

"You're me!" She said happily. I loved how she pronounced my name as "me."


Ah, how easily I fell for that brat.
**********

 
A/N The chapters of this specific story aren't long for a reason. Don't forget to leave your feedback.