Chapter Five

The New Boy

When JR woke up the next morning, he opened his eyes to Jason laying there looking straight at him. It startled him at first , making him pull back a little, but Jason only laughed and smiled at the alarmed leader.

“Good morning, little brother,” Jason said. “Did you sleep well?”

JR nodded. Despite Jason’s hugs and violation of personal space, it was quite comfortable. It’s been a long time since JR was hugged in his sleep. It’s been a while since he had slept beside someone. He used to sleep beside Ren or Aron when the boys hadn’t formed their couples, but since they got boyfriends, neither found it appropriate anymore. JR forgot how nice it felt, how warm and pleasant it is to know someone is there beside you.

“I’m glad. You should sleep here more often. I enjoyed having you here,” Jason said with a smile. “You brought back good memories…”

“Memories of Leo?” JR asked.

“Yeah,” Jason nodded sadly, “Leo.”

“Would you tell me what happened with him?” JR asked. “I want to know, xianbei. Leo is someone important to you, and he’s obviously a big part of your life and career. As your leader, I think I should know.”

Jason shook his head. “No, I don’t want to tell you because you’re my leader. I’d rather tell you because you’re my friend.”

JR blushed slightly. This was the first time Jason referred to him as a friend. He didn’t know how to react, so he just blinked as Jason ruffled his hair.

“You’re cute, leader-ah,” Jason said, “I’ll tell you some other time, I promise. Is that okay?”

JR nodded.

They ate noodles for breakfast and then Jason proposed they take advantage of their free morning to play a video game, much to JR’s elation. JR loved video games, and as it turns out, Jason did too. They played and played for hours. JR had a great time. None of the members were so into video games that they would endlessly play with him like Jason. None of them were much of challenge to JR either, but Jason was.

At one point throughout the day, Aron called.

“Hi hyung,” JR said when he answered. It came out more enthusiastically then he would have liked.

“Well, you don’t sound depressed.”

“I’m not,” JR said.

“Really? I thought you would be given what happened yesterday and…”

“No need to remind me.”

Sorry. So we’ve been begging manager-hyung to come pick you up. I’m sorry we left you buddy.”

“Don’t be. I’m having a lot of fun.”

“Is it awkward?”

“It was at first, but now I think we’re over it. Jason is… Jason is really cool.”

“Is he now?”

“Yeah.”

“So. Do you not want us to come pick you up?”

“Umm. I’d like to stay longer.”

I see,” Aron said, and JR could just see that Aron was smirking through the other line.

“What?” JR asked.

“Did I say anything?”

“I know you’re thinking something.”

I… I wasn’t thinking anything,” Aron laughed.

“Yeah right.”

There was a silence.

Do you like him?” Aron asked.

“No.”

I think you do.”

“I don’t.”

“Sure you don’t.”

“Ugh, Aron, I have no time to argue this with you. We’re in the middle of playing Assassin’s Creed and…”

Oh he’s a gamer? He’s your soul mate!

“Hyung!”

Did you guys sleep on the same bed?”

“Hyung!”

I ship it,” he said casually.

“Are you done?” JR asked in irritation.

Just meet us with Jason at the photo-shoot at 2:00 then. Bye!

Aron hung up and JR rolled his eyes at Aron’s silly assumptions.

They played all the way until the company van came to pick them up to their next scheduled photo-shoot. They argued over who won in the van. They argued about which character has stronger weapons, or which world leads to the next level, or which game has better graphics…

JR completely forgot about what happened yesterday and about the humiliation he faced. He was glad to have come with Jason. Not only did the new member make him feel better, but he also got so much closer to him then before.

When they arrived at the venue, JR turned to him, looked him in the eye and said, “thank you, xianbei.”

“Don’t call me xianbei anymore. I think we’re over all the formalities,” Jason said with a bright smile, “call me ‘hyung’ from now on, okay? I think it's cute!”

JR nodded and Jason put his arms around JR’s shoulders. “I really like you, little brother.”

“I like you too, hyung,” JR responded.

After the photo-shoot commenced, and it was time for Jason to part with the rest of NU’EST until the next day’s interview.

“Goodbye little brothers!” Jason waved at the five of them. “I’ll see you tomorrow!”

JR felt glum at the prospect of not seeing him for 24 hours until their next schedule together. He wished Jason were dorming with them. He wanted him around as ubiquitously as the other members. He wanted Jason around to make him feel better when he’s having a bad day. He wanted Jason to sleep next to him at night. He wanted to play video games with Jason in their free time. He wanted someone like Jason with him forever…

What am I thinking? JR thought as he shook away these thoughts.

Before they parted, JR walked up to Jason and put his arms around his hyung. It was a very random and unexpected move, especially since JR was never one to initiate hugs. This was the very first time that JR was the one that initiated any form of intimate physical contact with Jason. Jason immediately hugged JR back, squeezing him tightly. The hug made JR feel warm and cozy, and he wished he could be there forever.

I don’t like Jason, JR denied when he realized that he’s never felt this way when hugging the other members.

“I’ll see you tomorrow little brother,” Jason said to JR as they were still hugging, “spend the night with me some other time, okay?”

JR pulled away from the embrace and nodded, “I'd like that.”

When Jason was gone, the other members pestered him to reveal details about their night, about what happened, about JR’s feelings towards him.

“I don’t like him like that,” JR insisted, but none of them seemed to take that answer seriously. He kept denying it with the members, but pretty soon he stopped denying it with himself.

He knew that he had started developing feelings for the new member.