Chapter Two

The New Boy

JR can read people. He can just tell when someone is feeling bothered. There was something about Jason’s smile that looked fake and forced, there was something about the lack of usual luster in his eyes that told JR something was wrong with him.

“Xianbei, are you feeling okay today?” JR asked him when the choreographer gave them a five-minute break,

“Yes, little brother,” Jason said, but JR knew that something was wrong. Not wanting to intrude on his personal life, JR let it go and decided it would be best not to interrogate further.

But then the next day, Jason still looked down. And the next day. The third day, JR felt he needed to talk to Jason and see what was wrong.

There were two showers in the dance studio. Usually after practice, Minhyun and Aron took one shower, and Baekho and Ren took the other. JR and Jason usually waited until the couples finished before showering themselves.

JR used that time to ask Jason what was wrong.

“Nothing, little brother,” Jason said and JR looked doubtful.

“If you don’t want to tell me, just say so xianbei. I’ll understand,” JR said.

Jason looked to JR for a moment as he bit his lower lip. He gave JR a slight smile and said, “do you go online and see the reactions to me being in NU’EST?” Jason asked.

JR had not seen the reactions. He had been extremely busy lately, and he never really had the time to look. They had been working non-stop on producing this Chinese album before promotions ended, and so JR barely had time to watch one anime episode a day. JR shook his head in response to Jason’s question.

“Why don’t you look tonight?” Jason suggested. At this point, Minhyun and Aron were done with their shower. “Dibs on MinRon’s shower!” Jason yelled, getting up from the wooden floor and heading towards the shower.

JR did look online that night, and he realized what was bothering Jason. A lot of the LO/\Es seemed to hate him. They criticized everything he did. They twisted his words to make him seem like a bad person. They didn’t accept him. They mocked him, bashed him, calling him things like “the Chinese ” and “the er” and “the ped0phile.” (A/N: These are actual insults I’ve seen so-called “LO/\Es” direct at Jason. Some people on Tumblr should seriously get a life.)

JR didn’t for a minute think this would happen. Jason was good-looking and sweet and talented; he thought the LO/\Es would unquestionably fall for him. He didn’t realize that so many people oppose him and hate him, and that’s why he never thought to look up the reactions.

He felt extremely guilty. As the leader, he was supposed to know this stuff. He was supposed to give Jason encouragement. He realized that Jason must be feeling stressed out, anxious and simply hurt by what people were saying about him.

JR went to sleep with a troubled heart that night.

The next day at practice, JR immediately bowed to Jason and apologized on behalf of all the fans that might have offended him.

When the couples went to shower, JR looked at Jason with reverence. He turned toward Jason and caught his eye before saying: “I promise, xianbei, the LO/\Es will love you eventually. I promise. Give them time, and please don’t be troubled.”

Jason smiled. It was a genuine smile, JR could tell. “I’ll take your word for it, little brother,” he said before wrapping one arm around JR’s shoulder and pulling him closer.

-

A/N: You know I literally rewrote this chapter five times. I was so stuck for some reason. Anyways, hope you enjoyed it and do anticipate the rest of the chapters!