[day 17] and then they decorated the tree

Lazy days

aw yiss another christmas drabble in january
 



We put up the Christmas tree!!! Sehun hasn’t bought any candy canes this year, but we put the tree in a different place just to be safe. I’ve written all my Christmas cards too. I wonder what I’m getting from Jongin and Sehun this year.

 

Since it’s December and Christmas Day is barely a month away, Sehun supposes there’s no time like the present to put up the Christmas tree.

He and Jongin don’t bother with getting a real tree every year, instead opting for a plastic specimen that doesn’t shed its pines on the carpet or come with free bugs that give Joonmyun the willies.

The catboy is already perched on the couch in the lounge, waiting enthusiastically for Sehun to lug the tree in its box out from the storage room. They go back down to get the decorations, Sehun carrying a big bag of tinsel and Joonmyun’s arms laden with containers of baubles, decorations and other shiny things to put on the tree.

“Where are we going to put it this year?” Joonmyun asks, watching Sehun take the tree out. Last year they’d put it near the fireplace and while the tree itself wasn’t at any particular danger from setting on fire, the candy canes hanging off its branches had partially melted into a sticky mess from the heat.

“How’s this spot?” Sehun puts the tree down by the window. A heat-free zone for sure. “Right, I’m going to go and make some hot chocolates for us first. Are you going to start decorating without me?”

“Can I?” Joonmyun says, hopeful. Sehun gives him a pat on the head and disappears into the kitchen to heat up some milk.

He comes back out with two hot chocolates and a little plate of marshmallow fish to find Joonmyun tangled up somewhere amongst the tinsel on the floor. “Oh dear…”

“Sehun, help me,” Joonmyun whines, embarrassed. “I couldn’t find the start so I pulled it all out and then I got stuck.” He looks a sorry sight, the gold tinsel looped around his leg and over his shoulder and somehow around his head between his kitty ears.

Sehun sets the drinks down on the coffee table and begins the untangling process, shaking his head at Joonmyun’s mishap and then getting bowled over with a hug as soon as he’s free. “Joonie, no,” he scolds when the catboy dives for the tinsel again, “sit down and have your drink while I find where it starts. We can hang it up together, okay?”

“Okay!” Joonmyun says cheerfully, darting over and swiping a chocolate fish off the plate. By the time he’s finished his drink Sehun’s found the ends of the train of tinsel and they carefully put it on the tree, winding it around and around between the branches and tucking it under at the bottom.

Joonmyun immediately pounces on the container of decorations. “I want to hang these up!”

Sehun lets him do as he wants, plopping down on an armchair to nurse his abandoned hot chocolate. Joonmyun’s emptying the contents of the container onto the floor and picking out all the things he wants to hang on first. The big silver baubles go on all the big tree branches and the smaller angels, snowmen, miniature presents and snowflakes end up being spread everywhere else.

Sehun pulls out his phone and secretly snaps a photo of the catboy reaching up to attach the sparkly star on top, one kitty ear tilted to the side and eyebrows furrowed together in concentration. He sends it to Jongin’s kakaotalk, knowing his boyfriend will be on his lunch break between morning and afternoon classes, and receives a laughing emoji and a string of love hearts back within a matter of minutes.

Cute! Jongin says, and Sehun looks up to deliver the message to the catboy when he sees Joonmyun crouched on the balls of his feet and looking speculatively at the empty space beneath the tree.

“What’s wrong?” he asks.

“I think we need to buy presents,” Joonmyun says slowly.

Oh. “Let’s wait until all the shops have Christmas specials,” Sehun suggests. He chews on the last chocolate fish Joonmyun had left for him. “The three of us can go shopping on a weekend. Do you have something that you want this year?”

There are many things Joonmyun wants – chocolate fish, the spiders that keeping coming into his room to go away, and Jongdae to stop trying to read his diary – but they’re things he thinks he can live without, if he has to. Besides, Jongin’s pretty awesome at killing spiders with his rolled up newspapers of entomological mass destruction.

He’s got other kitties to play with, a bed to sleep in, owners to snuggle up to and a collar to wear. He says what he’s been saying every year since he’s been adopted: “Nope.”

But he knows Jongin and Sehun will spoil him anyway, like they’ve been doing every year since he’s been adopted. They get him things like his favourite chocolate, a collection of ink pens for him to write his diary entries with, a new toy on the odd occasion and there’s always multiple rounds of exercise between the sheets.  

“Nothing?” Sehun presses, and catboy repeats his answer. “Alright, then. I’ll still get something for Jongin, though. Are you writing Christmas cards this year?”

Joonmyun had forgotten about those. He writes them every Christmas without fail and makes sure he writes as many as he can, all with a special note to the recipient, not wanting anybody to be left out.

“Don’t we have some cards leftover from last year?” he says. He remembers Jongin buying them in a bulk pack at the store so Joonmyun could write as many as he wanted without having to worry about running out.

“Yeah, I think we actually do.” Sehun scratches his head. It takes a bit of foraging around in the dusty storage room and a lot of sneezing, but they manage to find them hidden under the old box for their rice cooker. Sehun leaves Joonmyun alone to pull out his nice ink pens and start writing.

Jongin and Sehun are definitely going to get one each, Joonmyun decides. He ends up making a list on a separate piece of paper so he doesn’t forget anybody by mistake and ticks them all off in his head as he writes their names down. A card for Luhan because he always gives Joonmyun chocolate fish, a card for Jongdae because… hmm. He’s going to come back to that one.

One for Mrs. Park, one for Minseok, one for Kris for being a nice boss to Sehun, one each for his kitties Yixing and Zitao for playing with him. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are going to get one too when he next sees them. He remembers Doctor Kyungsoo at the last minute and decides to write him a card to thank him for poking him with a needle.

The last people to go on Joonmyun’s list are miscellaneous individuals that he doesn’t see all the time but are always nice to him; like Jongin’s friend Taemin, that cute Turkish catgirl who sometimes comes over to play at Baekhyun’s house, the lady at the dairy that gives Joonmyun an extra few candies every time he goes there, and maybe even Donut if he has any cards leftover when he’s done.

 

 

is anyone taking part in round 2 of the seho fic exchange because i think i should lmao