[day 8] and then they went grocery shopping

Lazy days

i swear these titles get more lame everyday :'D

p.s. today we have another guest of honour (for like 0.5 seconds lmfao)


We went grocery shopping today. Sehun said I could get the bread but I got distracted and I couldn’t find him again. I’m a really embarrassing kitty.

 

Sehun pokes his head into the lounge, where Joonmyun is watching TV by himself. “Joonie? I’m going to go grocery shopping,” he says, and the catboy instantly whips around.

“Can I come?” he asks, leaping off the couch to turn off the TV. “Wait for me, Sehun, I have to go and find socks…”

Sehun laughs and catches his arm as he dashes past on his quest for socks. Joonmyun never misses the chance to go shopping and Sehun had already known he’d want to tag along.

“I already got your socks for you,” he chuckles, holding out a stripy black and white pair. “Put them on. I’ll be waiting in the car.”

 

Sehun pulls out a trolley and wheels it into the supermarket. “We’ve got a lot of things to get today,” he says, scrutinizing the extensive shopping list he’d written up at home. The pantry’s almost empty and Jongin’s probably going to have to wait a while for dinner.

Joonmyun peers around his owner to see the items on the list. “I want to help,” he declares.

“You can go and find the bread then,” Sehun tells him, pushing the trolley into the meats section and the catboy trotting obediently after him. “Bring back two loaves. I’m just going to get some chicken nibbles for dinner tonight.”

“Okay!”

Sehun knows Joonmyun treats it as a quest, like in those games where players have to bring back an item in exchange for a reward. The love for going grocery shopping had to have come from somewhere.

 

“Bread, bread, bread…”

It takes Joonmyun some time to wander down through all the aisles of the giant supermarket. He wonders if he should have helped by taking part of Sehun’s shopping list and finding several items at once instead, but then he knows exactly why he doesn’t do that. The first time he’d tried to carry the cans of peaches and the bags of cornflakes and a bottle of milk all at the same time he’d dropped everything and one of the canned peaches had landed on somebody’s foot. He and Sehun went home with some dented cans of peaches and some crumbly cornflakes that day.

Joonmyun decides to be helpful in other ways by quickly examining the shelves he goes past to see if there’s anything on Sehun’s list that he thinks his owner might have missed out.

Tissues? Hmm, Joonmyun remembers blowing his nose with the last one not even an hour ago.

Lube? He’d had a quick round with Jongin on the couch before he went to work this morning and it was still pretty full, but the one in his box of toys could probably do with a replacement. He’ll ask Sehun about that once he returns with his bread.

There had been cat biscuits in the cupboard the other day so Joonmyun doesn’t bother with that aisle, but Jongin and Sehun can’t live on cat biscuits. He’d made Sehun try once, and Sehun said it was revolting and promised to leave a toy inside him for a whole night if he ever did it again.

Joonmyun doesn’t have a clue if they need any more oven cleaner or dishwashing liquid since Jongin normally takes care of the cleaning, but he stops dead in the next aisle because they most certainly, most definitely, need some more candy.

“Wow…” He gazes at the rows upon rows of sweets, from chocolate peanuts to lollipops to Twix bars and all these ones he’s never tried. He can almost hear his stomach growling and wipes his up his dribble before anyone else can see. Would Sehun buy some? He’s sure he’s been a good boy lately, but considering it had been Jongin’s he’d on the couch today and not Sehun’s… he probably wasn’t going to get anything. He sighs, waves goodbye at the bag of chocolate fish and goes to find the bread before Sehun gets worried about him.

The bread’s in the corner of the supermarket. Joonmyun pulls two loaves off the tray and hurries back to the meat section. “Sehun, I got the bread!” he announces, holding them up in the air.

There is no Sehun.

He must have gotten the chicken and moved on already, Joonmyun realizes. His disappointment slowly dissolves into distress. Where was Sehun? How was he supposed to find him now? He could be anywhere in the supermarket.

Maybe he’d gone home. Joonmyun slaps himself for ever coming up with the idea that Sehun would leave without him; Sehun would never do that. He tries really, really hard not to cry as he races up and down all the aisles in search of him. He’s not in the wine aisle, nor is he getting milk, and there’s no sign of him by the vegetables. Joonmyun even double checks the bread section in case Sehun had come to fetch him, but there’s only an old lady there and that’s not Sehun. Had he really taken that long looking at candy?

Joonmyun suddenly skids to a stop near a shelf of flour and icing sugar. If he was Sehun and he was looking for Joonmyun, where would he look first?

Joonmyun makes a dash for the candy aisle.

He nearly trips up in his haste to get there, the bread almost slipping from his sweaty fingers. He ignores the people watching him as he rounds the corner into the aisle – and right at the end is an unmistakeable tall blond figure, reaching out to get a block of chocolate.

“Sehun!” Joonmyun screams, bolting down the aisle and seizing his hand tightly. He sobs with relief and hugs him hard, bread lying forgotten on the ground. “Sehun, I lost you! I didn’t know where you were and I couldn’t find you and you weren’t by the meat and I – and I – waaa?”

“Kitten, I don’t think I’m Sehun,” Kris says wryly, shoulders shaking with suppressed laughter. He reaches out and pats the catboy’s head sympathetically. “But I can help you find him, if you want?”

Joonmyun is horrified. “I’m sorry!” he wails, dropping Kris’s hand like it’s searing hot. “I’m sorry, I really thought you were Sehun–” He retrieves his fallen bread and crouches on the ground, his hands covering his burning red face in shame. It just had to be Sehun’s boss, didn’t it? If it was some random stranger then Joonmyun would never see them again and forget about the whole thing but now he can never ever look Kris in the eye again.

“Oh my,” an amused Kris remarks, hoisting his shopping basket higher so he can crouch down next to the mortified catboy, “now I see why Sehun adores you so much, you cute little thing.”

“…Joonmyun?”

They both look up to see Sehun jogging down the aisle, shopping trolley abandoned on the wayside.

 

The last buckle of the collar clicks into place and Sehun adjusts it so it sits better on Joonmyun’s neck, stark black against white skin. “There we go, isn’t that better?”

“I can’t see anything.” Joonmyun blinks at his reflection, turning around in the floor-length mirror. It’s just the collar he wears every day, polished black and D rings in the front. Sehun and Jongin had taken it from him for a few days to have something done to it.

“That’s because it’s on the back,” Sehun says patiently, sliding the collar around for him to see.

In hindsight, the incident at the supermarket was only minor and probably didn’t even warrant such a drastic measure, but Sehun wasn’t satisfied. What if Joonmyun had walked out of the store looking for him, or got lost somewhere else? He couldn’t risk that.

Inscribed in tiny letters on the back of the catboy’s collar is an address, followed underneath by Sehun and Jongin’s mobile phone numbers.