Chapter 9

My last year in Horikoshi High
Mirai POV
the morning sun shines in and I tried to open my eyes.
 
I was hoping yesterday was nothing but a dream, but I found myself in Yamada's embrace... still we are .
 
his body is so warm and comfortable, and his sleeping face is so peaceful that it took me a bit of perseverance to release myself from his arms.
 
I looked at myself in the mirror and I turned to look at him and reality strikes me that I lost my ity to a guy who I love but he hates me more than any other thing.
I really don't know what's wrong with him yesterday... I don't even know if the guy yesterday is the Yamada Ryosuke I knew all this while.
 
this to others may be the prefect dream... but being possess by someone you love but doesn't love you at all is nothing but a nightmare and a punishment.
 
tears ran like water tap. I quickly dressed up and wanted to leave before he wakes up...
 
"yamada-kun~" I kissed his lips for the last time before I leave his house and prepare to face the music.
 
Yamada POV
 
"ah Itai!" my whole body is aching, especially... 
 
nande! I am not dressed!
what the hell happened.
 
I tried really hard to remember but all that I recalled was kissing Mariya!
 
Goodness Gracious!!!! what did I do to her?!!!! I was supposed to break up with her but I instead violated her?!!!!
 
why why did I do that. I looked at the state of the room and I can picture the rough night we had.
 
how come I can't recall a thing.
the only thing I remembered was the room feeling particularly hot...
 
I dressed up quickly and rushed to the school to find Mariya hoping I could explain to her.
 
I saw her already in class, sitting alone.
 
I feel really guilty and regretful. now, even if it's a wrong move, there's no turning back.
 
"Mariya!"
 
"I am not gonna run from responsibility. it's my fault this happened!"
 
She remained silent.
 
she must be in a shock. I went up and embraced her tightly.
 
"Mariya ~I'm sorry. I'll take care of you forever, I promise" tears flow from my eyes and on to her sleeves. 
 
"I love you Ryosuke" 
 
Chinen POV
 
What just happened?!
Yamachan and Mariya?!
 
what about Mirai?
 
Mirai was just in front of me... she saw the whole lovey dovey moment between Mariya and Yamachan.
 
"Mirai~" I ran in front of her only to be shocked by her condition.
 
She looks unwell. her eyebags are evident, it's like as though she didn't sleep well. and i can't help but notice the bruise on her neck and... wait, is that a love bite?
 
"Mirai, what happened to you... are you okay? what's with the bruises? and I thought you went to Yamachan's house yesterday, then what happened?
 
she just stood there like a zombie staring at the intimate couple.
"Mirai! are you listening? don't scare me..." a drop of tear trickled down her cheeks.
 
"Ryosuke, Chinen and Mirai are looking" the couple finally noticed they are not alone.
 
Yamachan is wiping tears off his face. heh? he's crying?!
 
what the heck is happening?
 
"Chinen~"
 
"what's going on? I thought..."
 
"Chinen, I love Mariya"
 
I turned to look at Mirai and her expressionless face really scares me. I noticed she is gripping her shirt tightly. she must be hurting!
 
"lets go Ryosuke. we can get some drinks before class. Chinen, you wanna join us."
 
"no thanks, go ahead"
"Chinen gomen" yamachan said
 
I hope you know what you're doing - I thought to myself.
 
the moment I saw their figures disappear from my view, Mirai collapsed on the floor.
 
she's crying so badly I was taken aback. something must be wrong somewhere.
 
"Mirai! don't cry. you can trust me, lets go elsewhere to talk"
I grabbed her hand to hold her up but she shook it away and ran before I could react.
 
"Mirai!!!!" omg will she be okay? 
 
ahhhh what is happening... I feel like I missed alot.
 
I sat in my seat, trying to make sense  of everything.
 
yesterday night... shouldn't Mirai be at his house? did something happen there? how did the apparent break up with Mariya turned out to become a more intimate relationship.
 
it's just one night.
 
ah sheesh.. I kicked the seat in front of me.
 
"oh no" Mariya's bag fell on the floor and the contents dropped out.
 
"ahh I better put it back before she come back or yamachan will kill me"
 
girl's stuff are plenty. what the heck does she bring to school everyday, makeup stash and...
 
what's this? I giggled... must be menstruation pills.
 
"..."
 
eh wait a minute. I was almost putting it into her back when the name on the packaging caught my eye.
 
it reads "ual stimulant for guys"
 
huh?!
 
why does Mariya need...
 
/flashback/
 
"ahhh. I am burning, Chinen"
"Mariya ~I'm sorry. I'll take care of you forever, I promise"
"Chinen, I love Mariya" and Mirai's love bite...
 
everything changed in one night because ... something terrible did happen last night.
 
...
Yuto POV
 
"ohayou Chinen! you're early today" Yuto came in his usual cheerful self.
 
"you know I saw Yamachan and Mariya still together... I guess that's his choice"
 
"Chinen~ why are you looking so fierce"
 
"yamachan, what's wrong with Chinen... you two quarreled?" I stared intensely at the couple who just re-entered the classroom.
 
Chinen stood up and slammed the classroom door shut and locked it.
 
"Chinen?" everyone was confused. 
 
the room now stands me, himself, Yamada and Mariya.
 
"15 minutes to class time"
 
"Chinen, what are you doing?" Yamada exclaimed.
 
"someone dropped this" Chinen held up a packet of pills.
 
I went closer and saw that it says "ual stimulants for guys"
 
I giggled.
"Chinen, you are so cute... you think one of us own this?"
 
he smirked.
 
Yamada looks pale at the sight.
 
"what's wrong yamachan?" Chinen asked
 
"don't tell me you suspect yamada" I got a little angry at his suspicion.
 
 "it all makes sense now" Chinen said
 
"what makes sense?! how can you suspect your friend. you know this is a prohibited product !" I shouted.
 
yamada and Mariya continued to stand there motionless. something is wrong? why is no one shocked, except me.
 
"It's not Yamachan's"
 
"then who?!"
 
"It fell out from your bag..... Mariya!"
 
"WHAT?!!!!!!" I shouted in surprise. at the same time, Mariya started to deny profusely, while yamada looked confused and startled.
"!" Chinen dashed forward and punched Mariya on the face.
 
"Chinen!" I grabbed hold of Chinen.
 
"why do you have to do this to a girl" yamada insisted.
"it's not mine!"
 
"I regreted helping you... turned out you are the cause of everything that happened between Mirai and Yamada! you are a wicked witch!!!! do you know how much she cares about you as a friend?!"
 
"wait wait, am I missing out something? what has it got to do with Mirai?"
 
yamada continues to look confuse and disoriented.
 
"yamada, the day you were sick... Mariya wasn't the one who cared for you! she's probably there when the person who actually stayed by you left. and that person is Mirai!"
 
"you are wrong!!! it's me!" Mariya shouted.
 
"Ryosuke, believe me!"
 
"you know how I am so clear about this, yamachan? because I was the one who called Mirai and asked her to check on you. I know she likes you and I wanted to give her a chance to clear the misunderstandings. but I never thought the whole thing will turn out the way it did. Mariya begged me to keep this secret and I must be crazy when I said Yes!"
 
 
"you never treated her as a friend, Mariya! you cheated and made use of the friendship to get her away from yamachan!"
 
"wh~at are you talk~ing about?! I'm thirsty again, I'll leave first." yamada's first response is weak... 
 
"Yamachan! you are spiked with this yesterday!!!!"
 
he froze there, as Chinen blurted out this horrifying fact.
 
"no way!"
 
chinen: "I don't know if you recalled... you called me yesterday night, telling me you feel really sick and your body is burning... do you remember?"
 
"I...."
 
Chinen: "you definitely swallowed those stimulants! that's why you are feeling like that"
 
"CHINEN STOP!" yamada walked back to the crying Mariya and attempted to walk out with her.
 
"if I have eaten it, then be it. I'm gonna take up the responsibility and care for her forever... regardless of what she did to her friend" he looked at Mariya.
 
"doesn't Mirai mean anything to You" I couldn't hold on my anger.
 
he paused for a moment as if he's hesitating and unsure.
"she's just someone who hates me"
 
"if she hates you, she won't come your house at 1am yesterday just to help me check on you!!!! " Chinen added.
 
"what are you saying Chinen! Mirai didn't come, Mariya was with me the whole night!" he defended
 
"is it?! Umika called Mariya's mom... she said Mariya returned home slightly before 2 am!"
 
"no no Ryosuke, don't believe him" Mariya defended.
 
"I don't know what happened after Mariya left, but all I can say is Mirai came and care for you for the second time in a span of two weeks. if that's hate, I dunno what the meaning of hate is anymore. it's not at all surprising if dear Mariya staged the whole thing to get you to hear Mirai saying the hateful words about you." Chinen said
"I can't believe you are willing to let go of your purity just to get yamada to stay with you. if it wasn't your parents calling, you definitely got your wish." he added.
 
"Ryosuke , you believe me right?! say something.." Mariya shook yamada's arms intensely.
 
he looked even more pale than before and all of a sudden...
 
"get your dirty hands off me.!"
 
"Ryosuke? you said you'll take care of me forever!"
 
"that's because I thought I violated you! if I did, you can rest assure I will keep to my words, but the fact is I didn't!"
 
"you believe him instead of me?!!!!"
 
"Don't you question my best friend that way! I literally grew up with Chinen, there's no way I trust you more than him!!!!!"
 
"Ryosuke~"
 
yamachan is gritting his jaw, hiding the pain within him. me and Chinen can feel it... we definitely understand our best friend more than anyone else in the world.
 
"I hate all of you....!" she took her bag and ran out of class.
 
"yamachan!" he collapsed on the floor, crying like I never see him did.
"you know~ when you asked me what Mirai means to me~ the fact is... I thought I hated her... I hated her for saying those stuff because I ... because I..."
 
"love her... that's why it hurts more than just anyone saying he hates you" I told him honestly.
 
"Yamachan... we say we have your back, and this will forever be the case. we'll help you if you need anything... even if you don't ask, we'll be here as well!" I added.
"yamachan... this is not the time to cry... cause someone else is badly hurt because of you"
 
"huh?"
 
"I believe the stimulant did work... and I guess you know better than me. that person you may have violated... hurt... is Mirai." Chinen added.
 
"omg!" I couldn't contain my feelings.
 
"I saw her running out of school just now... regardless of how I called her, she didnt respond... she even dashed across a busy road!"
 
yamada's hands are shaking badly... his tears are mixed with his perspiration. I feel sorry for him for this utterly messed up love which is likened to a drama plot, but there's just so much we can help him.
 
"Chinen~ I'll go find her now... please cover for the both of us"
 
Yamada POV
 
why must the recollection only come now?!!! I... I was violent to her yesterday... I her!!!
 
ahhhhhhhh
 
I got it all wrong... I shouldn't have treated her that way! I love her and yet I chose to be mean to her.
 
I could have just turn a blind eye and continue being friends with her, but I chose to show her how much I hate her for revenge!
 
If I have just forgo it, none of these would have happened!
 
it's all my fault that 2 sweet girls are hurt! especially Mirai!
 
I ran against the wind, towards her house. the cold wind cuts through my skin and I wondered the kind of emotional and physical pain I inflicted on the girl who loved me was twice or even 100 times worst than this.
 
tears ran down my cheeks and I recalled seeing hers many times the past months and weeks. it's all because of me stupidity!
 
I love you all this while and yet I chose to run away from you! I'm just a jerk! why did you suffer the pain by yourself, why do you hold on a love for me who is nothing but a heartbreaker.
 
Mirai, I'll make it up to you! this is my eternal promise to you! 
 
the sight in front of her house send chills down my spine. 
"MIRAI!!!!!" I ran towards the stretcher which laid a bloody body of a pale girl.
 
"you are that boy, aren't you!!!!! you are the reason why she kept crying in her sleep!!!! she's in this state because of you" a strong man pushed me away from the stretcher carrying Mirai.
 
I lost my footing and fell to the ground. 
and when I got up, the ambulance door closed and what's left is just me and the bare recall of her pale-as-white face with blood all over her uniform.
 
"I haven't told you, Mirai!!!!! I haven't told you I LOVE YOU!!!!!"
 
I ran after the ambulance, against the sudden rain, but to no avail. I fell again and I just looked at the ambulance disappearing in front of me.
....
 
this is us, exactly one month before graduation.