Chapter 2

My last year in Horikoshi High

Mirai POV

Yamada Ryosuke and me have progressed from almost strangers in a class, to friends. Ever since that incident in the toilet, we became closer. Though still distant, but at least we say good morning, and goodbye and at times, we cheer each other up. Thanks to him, I knew the other celebrities in our class as well. He's so right, Chinen, Yuto, Umika and the rest are so kind.. They aren't a snob at all. But, things changed between me and Mariya. She started to ignore me, and even avoid me. I don't understand why, but these days, things got even stranger...

(In case, I forgot to mention, Mariya is a celebrity as well, and the reason she was my best friend is because we have the same personalities and interests. Like poles attract. HAHA)

Recently, I heard a new filming started and Ryosuke, Mariya and a few others were missing from class frequently. Can't believe this, we barely had a few months left before graduation and all these filming schedules they have are taking those precious time that I can actually see him physically. Today as well, they didn't come to class. I sighed as I carried my feet away from class once the dismissal bell rang.

"Wait up, Mirai!" I turned back only to see Chinen, Yuto and Umika running towards me. "Mirai-chan, we were thinking, if you wanna head down to the filming side to check out how it is like. Yamachan said it was okay to invite the class since a few of them had a starring role in this. We asked the class, most of them are busy, so for now, it's just the three of us. Do you wanna come along? It'll be fun!" Chinen said cheerfully.

"Really? Is it okay for me to go?" I was doubtful since I always thought non-industry people aren't allowed in.

"Of course, no worries about it. You will be with us anyway!" Yuto said with his usual upbeat and reassuring tone.

"Thanks so much for inviting," I smiled excitedly. We travelled to the film site thereafter. The whole journey, the guys were sharing alot of amusing stories. They provided such good ice-breakers and are really good mood-makers. But there was just one thing they said that made me a little confused.

"Mirai-chan, you know what, I think you are really darn impressive. From just now, I think I too feel that you have that X-factor that attracts people. Haha, no wonder he~" Chinen jerked Umika's arms as she attempted to complete the sentence. 

"OUch! why did you hit me for" Umika turned and stared at Chinen. 

Chinen whispered something to her but I couldn't catch it. "Huh? Umika, what do you mean?" I clarified with a face full of doubts.

"Ah, I meant that you are attractive. I am sure a lot of guys like you" Umika replied. But I feel that she was hiding something. Hmm...what did she want to say.

We reached the film site and we saw Yamada and Mariya in front of a crew of director and cameramen. I thought to myself that it must be their turn. Aww, it's so awesome that my friend has a scene with the guy I secretly loved. But just then when the director shouted ACTION, I felt weak and my heart was on the verge of breaking apart. 

Mariya POV

I am glad that there was such a scene arranged. It is my only chance of claiming authority. Yes, Yamada is mine. His first kiss is given to ME! I forcefully pulled Yamachan towards me and I crashed my lips on his. That intial contact really activated every single body cells of mine. That magical moment,I thought I was dreaming. His lips were so sweet, so irresistible. He was supposed to be struggling at first and then the kiss was supposed to turn hot and mutual. The latter part made us blush real bad, but we tried our best not to screw it up. Our hands interlocked with our backs, I felt his palms rubbing on my back; the accompanying embrace makes me feels warm and comfy. At the corner of my eyes, I saw Chinen and the rest, most importantly, Mirai. I don't know why, but the moment I saw her, I hugged Yamada tighter and I forced my tongue into his. 

Yamada POV

Oh goodness, what is she doing? is this the right way? I spent the whole night consulting my older sister, Chihiro about kissing since she has experienced it before, but she didn't mention this at all. I felt her tongue exploring every corner of my mouth and I thought wow, she is good at this. But I think any longer, my heart will explode.  Why isn't the director done? What's taking so long. My goodness. What a first experience this is. It's too much for me to take...even for a guy.

Mirai POV

After at least 2 minutes, the director shouted "CUT" The couple who were so madly kissing each other  moments ago finally pulled apart. They were both blushing and avoiding each other's eyes. I saw all of that. From the start till the end...

"WOW, I didn't know Yamachan is so good at this. Mariya guided Yamachan well! Sugoiii" Chinen and Yuto both applauded. "What do you think, Mirai? As an audience, you will give the most objective feedback. Haha" Umika added.

Tears are welling in my eyes. I tried to control and was about to reply her when the onscreen couple saw us. "ah! guys, you are all here!" yamada shouted and both of them ran towards us.

Both of them were surprised to see me obviously and both called out at the same time "Mirai-chan, I never thought you will come"

Yamada giggled "I thought you were never interested in entertainment... haha, you are the one I least expected will turn up" 

I don't know why, but I felt offended by his statement. I was so emotional that I responded aggressively "YES, YOU ARE RIGHT! I SHOULDN'T BE HERE. I AM SO DONE WITH ALL THESE ENTERTAINMENT . THIS KIND OF SPECIAL OCCASION ISN'T FOR ME. THAT'S WHY IN THE FIRST PLACE, I SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE~ I SHOULDN'T EVEN HAVE~"

"shouldn't even have what?"yamada said in a highly anticipated and worried tone.

"Nevermind. I think I am out of my mind now. I'm sorry for all the ruckus I caused. Sorry Chinen, Yuto and Umika. You guys shouldn't have troubled yourselves for bringing me here. I'm just a useless that can't even control my weak emotions. Anyway I'm fine. I'll just go now. Carry on your plans... Don't let me spoil the fun" I didn't bother about their reply and I dashed out.

Mariya POV

Everyone looks confused about Mirai's sudden outburst. Yamada especially looked worried and disappointed. I'm not a slightest bit surprised by her change in attitude. Mirai, she likes a guy and that guy is none other than Yamada-kun. I can't believe we both love the same guy. I never thought that her interest will threaten me, but ever since that day when Yamada protected Mirai, I realised I was wrong. Yamada-kun seemed to like her as well. I won't let this happen. I am not going to let my best friend take away the guy I loved. He's mine. I am happy that this film gave me a chance to let Mirai know her position in this rivalry. There's no way she can be with Yamada-kun.

"Guys, don't worry, I'll go after her. You guys carry on," I told the rest. Yamada-kun grabbed my hands as soon as I turned towards the exit. "Talk to her. I don't know why, but she's definitely bothered by something. Help her in whatever ways you can. Promise?" Yamada said to me in a very concerned tone. The more he is like this, the more my heart hurts. But I am not going to show him my weak self like Mirai.

"Don't worry. I will" I reassured him with a smile.

"Mirai! Stop" I pulled her from behind. She turned and looked at me with confused and teary eyes.

"Mariya~I thought you will never talk to me again" she answered. I hate her looking so vunerable. It must be this attitude of hers which attracted Yamada-kun that day. I feel like throwing up everytime she acted pitiful.

I gave her a hug. (though I really wanted to crush her bones)

"Dear, I never hated you. I am just afraid you will get hurt, that's why I didn't know how to face you," I told her.

"Huh?" Mirai asked.

"There's something you need to know... Me and Ryosuke, we both loved each other. We shared mutual feelings for each other. We figured it out quite some time back. That was when I started distancing myself from you cause I know you secretly like him as well. I didn't want to hurt you cause I treasure you as my friend, my best friend. And I know after that incident, both of you became better friends, but Mirai, you know what, Ryosuke, he is very compassionate to people around him. I am saying this because I don't want you to be mistaken that for love. No one else but me, your best friend will tell you this. Others will treat you as a fool who stupidly thinks that Ryosuke protected you because he likes you. I have been thinking how to break all this out to you. But don't you worry, there are better guys out there. Actually if you like any of the hey! say! jump members, I will work something out with Ryosuke, maybe we can you hook up with the member... I know all of them, so I am sure to help you" I told her.

She didn't respond. 1 minute...2 minute...She just sat there motionless.

"Mirai! Mirai!" I called out to her in case she suffered a or something.

She took in a deep breathe, cleared and wiped her tears and said, "Mariya, thank you for being so thoughtful. I appreciate you telling me these. But, let me get this clear, I am not obsessed with being tigether with celebrities. There's absolutely no need for matchmaking me with any hsj members. Actually I hated all of them, ESPECIALLY YAMADA RYOSUKE!"

Mirai POV

Just when I made my last line, Yamada-kun appeared. We stared into each other's eyes. I think I hurt him with my statement. I didn't mean it. Really. I love him so much, but yet I hurt him with the hate speech.

Yamada especially, he is very sensitive to any signs of people hating on him. He is the most popular in HSJ and comparatively popular in his agency, but as a result of his popularity, there are also more people out there who are jealous and thus, dislike him for no reason. He was very upset about this years back but he slowly took it in and worked hard in whatever he did.

But, yet I hurt him with what he hated most. I swear I thought I saw his eyes welling up in tears. He turned back and left without saying a word.

"Why do you have to do that?. Sheesh, you are so cruel to punish him like this. He didn't do anything wrong." Mariya rushed after him leaving me alone.

I knelt down on the cold floor and cried as I see their figures disappearing from my view. 3 months before graduation... I thought things will be better between us, but now I rather I turn back time to those days when we never acknowledge each other's presence. From now, things will be different.