Chapter 6

My last year in Horikoshi High
Mirai POV
 
over the weekends, I thought really hard and finally I decided to let it all go. Mariya and Yamada are together, and I should be happy for them. 
 
easy for me to say... doing is hard.
 
the first person I saw in an almost empty classroom is him.
 
Yamada looks dead tired. his head is stuck to the table... he is against the sunlight and that view of him is likened to my imagination of sleeping beauty, or should I say sleeping prince.
 
I quietly walked towards him.
 
he didn't hear me.
 
"Yamada... since the day you started hating me, I've not seen you so peaceful. I hope we can turn back time, to the day you smiled at me." I thought to myself...I gently traced my fingers along the sides of his face, his well-defined jawline.. unknowingly my tears trickled down my cheeks and on to his arms.
 
"Yamachan, ohayou!" Chinen shouted.
 
I quickly wiped the tears off my face and faced my back against Yamada and Chinen hoping none of them noticed me.
 
"nande Chinen" he was awoken up by the cheerful alarm of his best friend.
Yamada POV
 
this Chinen is always so happy... it's nice to have him around, cause he never fails to brighten up everyone's morning. 
did I drool? s... why is my arms wet. that's embarrassing. 
 
and when did Mirai come in. did she notice I drool. ah screw this.
 
"why do you look so tired?" Chinen sat beside me.
 
"I was out the entire weekend with Mariya"
 
"I see. I thought you'll be resting at home since you had a busy week and the weeks ahead will be tough as well"
 
"exactly. so that's why I have to spare some time for her too" 
 
Mirai walked out of class like a spirit since no one acknowledged her presence.
 
why am I concerned about her. 
 
Chinen POV
 
Phew... if it isn't for me, Mariya would have seen the scene just now.
 
Mirai... I really dunno what you are thinking. if you like him, why are you giving in to Mariya. just because she's your friend? 
 
whatever it is, I can confirm now that you like yamachan. 
 
ah headache... I feel damn guilty now.. I promised Mariya that I won't say. ah screw this.
 
it hurts seeing her solemnly walk out... and yamachan noticed it too. 
really have the urge to tell yamachan "you got it all wrong."
 
Mirai POV
 
Why can't I concentrate.. my eyes fixed on him. 
 
why do you look so exhausted Yamada-kun...
 
he kept yawning and rubbing his eyes.
my mind kept imagining what he has been preoccupied with Mariya for the past 2 days...
gaming? (can't be.. Mariya isn't a gamer) shopping? (maybe since Mariya is a full time shopaholic) or something more extreme... Snap out of it Mirai, it's not your business anyway.
 
"Yamada Ryosuke, are you listening to me!" Mariya slapped Yamada hard on his back.
 
"Itai!! what is that for" he pouted.
 
"and you dare to ask me... did any of what I said just now sink into your tiny brain"
 
"of cou~rse..."
 
"stammering huh..." she giggled.
 
"since you were so inattentive... I'll take it as a yes"
 
"yes what?"
 
"Shopping!!!" she ruffled his hair and walked off.
 
"Chotto Mariya!" he called out but she pretended not to hear.
"sheesh... my last day of rest." he slumped back on his chair and buried his head on his desk. 
 
Why are you so demanding of your boyfriend, Mariya...
 
no no, it's none of my business. go away my inner devil (-.-)
 
...
 
the bell rang for dismissal.
 
"Yamada lets go!" she grabbed his arms signaling him about their shopping date.
 
"Heh? Yamada, I thought you're going home to rest to gear up for the week long promotion" Chinen and Yuto said.
 
"Sorry guys, Ryosuke is bringing me to Shibuya. don't worry, I'll take good care of him"
 
"heh... Chotto" I see Yuto and Chinen desperately trying to 'save' Yamada but Mariya just dragged him away.
 
Yamada was mouthing and pouting to them while being dragged "save me" 
it's not just me, I can tell that his best friends aren't happy about his current predicament.
 
then came the third voice of protest... the voice was soothingly familiar.
 
"where does that boy think he's going!"
 
"Daichan! why are you here...?"
 
"was thinking we can go for a lunch before gearing up for tomorrow and the week ahead. so where is he going!" he looks frustrated.
 
"er~ Mariya wants him to go out
..." before Chinen could finish his sentence, Daiki was so mad he couldn't help interrupting.
 
"what is she thinking?! doesn't she know Yamada has a busy week ahead and did you all realise how tired he was when we met him after his endless shopping trip with her yesterday !"
 
"we tried to stop but..." Yuto defended.
 
"ah this is insane" he suddenly noticed I was there.
"oh Mirai, I didn't notice you are here" his frown changed to a bright smile...
 
"Gomenasai" 
 
"what for? you are still being so polite."
 
"guys, lets go with our plans without him and we can have Mirai join us"
 
"heh me?"
 
"yeah that'll be great" both Chinen and Yuto shouted excitedly.
 
"let's go" Daiki placed his arms over my shoulder and pulled me along, while Chinen and Yuto stood close to my other side. I felt like I know them forever. they're really kind and it did make me feel fluffy all over having these popular Jump members with me. well, at least it's distracting me from Yamada.
 
...
 
Chinen POV
 
It's good to see Mirai smiling and chatting comfortably with us. somewhere within me I'm thankful that Daiki is giving her the best hospitality like a nii-chan, it does take abit of my guilt away. Yuto is his usual friendly self too. 
 
Mirai POV
 
"no way, really!! Yuto did you really rip your pants on stage"
 
"hey Daiki!" Yuto protested.
 
"not one but a few... lost count" Daiki continued to mock.
 
Yuto cupped Daiki's mouth before he continue spilling more.
 
I let out my heartiest laugh, easily the most enjoyable laugh I had in the past few months since the whole yamada Mariya and me drama.
 
"guys~" I almost spit out my mouthful of water. omg why is yamada here!
 
"hi guys!" Mariya cheered after yamada's dead voice as if he never expected me to be here... well it's quite shocking cause I can't imagine myself in this picture anyway.
 
"why are you here?" but it was Mariya who blurted it out. and this got me embarrassed.
 
"I... I think I should go" I noticed Yamada and Mariya looking right at me. 
I stood up and prepared to go but what came after was shocking.
 
Chinen, Yuto and Daiki stopped me.
 
"is there a problem for her to be here, Mariya? I invited her. "
I can tell from Mariya's face that she's feeling awkward by Daiki's sarcastic reply.
 
"of course there's no problem Daiki" she gave everyone an awkward smile.
 
Chinen broke the awkward silence.
 
"yamada, you look really tired... are you okay?"
 
"I'm... okay" Mariya gave yamada a stare.
"Yamada, go back and rest. it'll be a long week ahead, you don't wanna fall sick again right" Daiki stood up and pat Yamada to give him support.
 
I am really touched by this mutual support that the members give each other. this brotherhood is really genuine.
 
"hai Daichan." he gave a reassuring smile back to Daiki.
 
"Lets go Mariya... bye guys" he threw me a second glance and intuitively I bend down my head. I think Yuto noticed it.
 
"Mirai, you don't have to be afraid of yamada when we're here. well, at least Daiki is here... you do know Daiki is older than us and is a nii-chan to all of us here right. the both of them won't eat you up if our elder is here" Yuto smiled.
 
"elder?! you described me like as if I'm some old man"
"that's for spilling my embarrassing moments just now" Yuto winked at me.
we laughed but deep down I am still bothered by Yamada's stare earlier.
 
but nothing could be scarier than what awaits me in a week's time.