First Confession

Confessions of my Obsession

As we walked to the cafe, there was nothing but silence between the two of us. But this silence was comfortable, welcoming almost, and I felt okay with that.

 

We had been walking for a few minutes when I felt something tug my wrist a bit, pulling me out of wandering thoughts. I looked down at my wrist to see Peniel's hand there, tugging me to follow him. Quickly, I redirected myself and starting following his foot steps down the narrow sidewalk. After a few steps, I realized he still hadn't let go of me and I blushed a little. His hand felt warm against my cool skin, it was energizing and sent jolts of electricity through me.

 

I was still slightly shadowing him, partly becuase I has no idea where this place was and partly becuase he was still guiding me by my wrist. It was all quite unrealistic to think that we had just barely started talking on Monday. Monday was the day he hit his head, Tuesday was the day he sat with Minhyuk and me, Wednesday was the start of his new schedule and evidently our new friendship. Thursday we really didn't talk much, mainly because I didn't want to come off as clingy or obsessive. It's one thing to be obsessed, it's another for your obsession to know it. And now today, he asked to hang out and here we are, walking around the streets of Seoul. Everything seemed to have escalated quickly.

 

I was so deep in thought about everything that I didn't realize we had stopped walking. It was Peniel's tug at my wrist and heartstrings that pulled me back to reality once more. Meeting his gaze with mine, he said something but I was too focused on him to understand what he had said so I just nodded in response.

 

He smiled then pulled me towards the door of some place. Oh, this must be the cafe... It was really nice and cozy. The lighting was dimmed and low and it had sort of a nostalgic feel to it. I immediately felt at ease and my thoughts calmed down.

 

"Let's sit in the back," Peniel whipered to me, then he let go of my wrist and walked on towards the back area. My wrist felt empty and cold without his hand there but I tried not to think about it too much and followed him. The place he chose was secluded and far enough away from others but still close wnough to hear their conversations.

 

He waited for me to slid into one side of the booth before saying, "I'm going to go get us some drinks. Is there anything you'd like specifically?"

 

I thought about it for a moment then said, "Nope. Surprise me." And with that he smiled and went to the front to order.

 

I leaned back a little and relaxed my head against the cushion of the booth. I closed my eyes and inhaled the scent of coffee brewing and sweet pastries that filled the cafe. I could faintly hear Peniel order our drinks and the cash register popping open then soon after it shut I hear him say 'thank you' and his foot steps started getting closer to me. I opened my eyes and sat back up just before Peniel got back to our booth.

 

"I got us each a chai latte, I hope you don't mind that," he said as he slid into the booth right across from me.

 

"Not at all, I haven't had a latte before," I said and his eyes widened just a little at that.

 

"Really? I drink a latte almost everyday. It's like my life."

 

"I don't really go to many coffe shops or cafes like this so I haven't really been exposed to lattes... or coffee."

 

He analyzed me for a minute then smiled and leaned back in his seat a bit. "I can see how you wouldn't know about its deliciousness, but you're missing out."

 

"Well I guess there is a first time for everything," I said and he looked at me with an indifferent gaze that sent a chill down my spine.

 

His voice dropped low as he said, "Indeed."

 

I gulped when he said that one word. The way he said it made it sound like there was more to our conversation than just coffee. Luckily a waitress came by with our drinks, saving me from overthinking things as usual, and left as quickly as she came. I looked down and began inspecting the drink she placed down before me. To say it looked good was an understatement and to say it smelled amazing was far more of an understatement. I reached out for the cup and began stirring the spoon, mixing in the cream on top.

 

I felt a pair of eyes on me and looked up to see Peniel looking at me with curiosity in his eyes. Questions were probably crossing his mind right now but beofre he could ask or say anything I said, "This looks amazing and smells even more amazing."

 

"I know what you mean. Drink some," he commanded and I did. It burned my tongue a little becuase it was still hot but the taste was amazing. It was blissful and all the while I could still feel Peniel's gaze.

 

"It is really good. Thank you for getting it for me."

 

He smirked a little then took a sip of his own. "Not a problem. I'm glad you like it."

 

After a few more sips all conversationg between the two of us seemed to have disappeared. I dind't want it to end and before I was thinking about what to say, words formed on their own and blurted out of me.

 

"You know, I've been to most of your gigs and tonight's gig was the best out of them all. I think your new music is really good. Not that your older music is bad or anything but the new songs you sang were more... real and raw," I blurted out. After realize that I had just confessed to being a fan and showing up to all of his concerts, I looked down and my cup and tried to play it off nonchalantly as best as I could. Which is pretty terrible becuase I'm not a good actor.

 

Peniel seemed to be a bit taken aback by what he said but a thoughful smile appeared on his face and he said, "So, you've been to most of my other shows?" Of all the things I said that first thing I admitted to caught his attention. Of course.

 

I nodded shyly and said, "Yeah, I've gone to mostly all of them."

 

"But I never saw you at any of them," he said, a hint of worry was in his voice. I looked back up at him. A genuine look of confusion mixed with concern plastered his face. I felt my heart skip a few beats at the thought that he actually was happy I came and then dropped when I realized he never noticed me. It wasn't his fault though, I always stayed hidden in the back out of view.

 

"I usually sit in the back and leave right after your last song, before you guys come out and meet the audience," I admitted. The look of concern left his face but confusion stayed. What is he thinking?

 

"Why didn't you ever stay after?," he asked. The faint hurt sound in his voice caused a sharp pain in my heart. I didn't ever stay because I didn't want him to see me and think I was a creeper. But hearing this made me think about something. If he didn't ever notice me before, neither in school nor at his gigs, why would he care if I stayed back to meet him or not?

 

Before I could get too deep in my thoughts I thought of an excuse to say to him. "I don't know, I guess since were weren't friends at the time I didn't really think I should stay to meet you guys. I didn't think it was my place to do so."

 

"Oh," was all he said and I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I could hear the emptyness in that one word, like he had nothing else in him but 'oh.'

 

I grabbed my cup and began drinking it fast to shut myself up from saying anything else stupid. The liquid wasn't quite cooled down yet and it burned my throat as it went down but I felt like I deserved it for not shutting up the first time. Peniel picked up his cup gingerly and sipped from it slowly, deep in thought.

 

After I swallowed the last little bit I practically slammed my cup down on the table, causing Peniel to look at me a bit shocked.

 

"Uh, thank you for the latte. It's getting kind of late, I should probably head back home," I said quickly.

 

Peniel looked a bit surprised then he glanced toward the clock beind me and looked back at me. "Ha, it is kind of late. I guess I should be going too. Where do you live? We can walk back to Strings to get my car and I'll give you a ride home."

 

The offer was compelling but I remembered that I wasn't going home tonight, I had already told my parents I'd bestaying the weekend at Minhyuk's to finish a 'major project.'

 

"It's fine," I said, "I can walk, it's not that far from here," which is true. Minhyuk lived about 10 minutes, walking distance, away from here but Peniel didn't believe what I said.

 

"You live in the city? That's pretty far from our school."

 

I panicked and blurted out, "I'm staying with a friend tonight! I-I usually stay with my friend when I know I'll be out late in the city. He doesn't live too far, I can walk there. Thank you for the offer though."

 

I slid out of the booth as was beginning to head off towards the door when Peniel grabbed my wrist for the second time tonight. I felt butterflies in my stomach again and my heart rate accelerated for the millionth time today.

 

"What's the rush? I can walk with you," he said.

 

Part of me wanted to say 'ok' but another part of me didn't because I was going back to Minhyuk's apartment and I didn't want to run the risk of Peniel asking whose place I was going to or other questions like so. Minhyuk hasn't told anyone besides me about his living conditions and as his best friend I didn't want to tell anyone else without his consent.

 

"It's okay I can go by myself. Thank you though for everything," I regretfully said.

 

Peniel dropped his hand from my wrist. "Are you sure?," he asked slowly.

 

I turned to face him and smiled. "Yes. Thank you. I'll see you on Monday."

 

He hesitated for a moment then got up from the booth and gave me a quick hug. "See you Monday, Sungjae," he said smoothly then headed off towards the front door. I stood there for a second, a bit stunned at what had happened. Never had I ever seen him hug any of his friends at school before, not even girls! But he just hugged me. Here in a public place at that!

 

The sound of the overhead door bell ringing snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked around and saw that there was practically no one in the cafe anymore besides the workers and a few college students working on papers on the other side of the place. I headed towards the door once more and stepped outside. I looked around briefly hoping to catch a glimpse of Peniel but he was nowhere insight. It was like he just disappeared.

 

Lazily, I started to make my way towards Minhyuk's apartment. I felt a little relieved at the fact that I told Peniel that I had gone to his other gigs but I also kind of regretted it. It was my secret way of seeing him without him knowing it, not like he notice me before.. maybe. Now that he knows, I feel like He''l be keeping an eye out for me, watching to see if I come. And if I do, would I look like a stalker or a supporting friend? I don't know what to think with that man. This past week has been a bit of a rollercoaster with me and nothing has been, or will be, normal.

 

But when has liking him ever been normal?