Second Encounters

Confessions of my Obsession

 

"Hi I'm- wait, don't I know you from somewhere?," Peniel said, eyeing minhyuk carefully.
 
Minhyuk's smile slowly disappeared and he was holding eye contact with Peniel. "No I don't think so, other than school."
 
"Yes I do from-" Peniel stopped speaking and looked down. his face paled a little and his cheeks became red.
 
A sly grin grew across Minhyuk's face as realization hit him. "Yeah, I know where from."
 
I sat there, staring at Minhyuk, silently willing him to continue on. I had no idea that they knew each other and I was curious as to how.
 
No one had spoken for what felt like hours. Peniel still had his head down and minhyuk was now looking off somewhere, a knowing grin still plastered on his face.
 
"So... Uh... How do you guys know each other?," I asked, hoping someone would say something.
 
"We just ran into each other outside of school once, not that big of a deal really," minhyuk said and at that Peniel snapped his head up and looked at minhyuk then at me and nodded.
 
"Yeah, we just happened to bump into each other, no big deal," Peniel said still nodding like a bobble head.
 
"Oh okay," I said then looked off over to a group of girls staring down Peniel off in the distance. Yeah, I thought, be jealous. Be jealous.
 
"So is this all you guys do during free periods?"
 
"Yeah pretty much. Either this or walk around. What do you normally do during free periods?," I asked even though I already knew what his answer would be. We sit here because it gives me a good view of the open field where Peniel and his friends usually play soccer or football.
 
"I usually play soccer or football but I didn't really want to today," thank God, "because, as much as I love the attention, I can't stand those girls. They'd probably cry if the ball hit me. Oh and thanks for... Yesterday."
 
My heart skipped a little at the thought that he actually remembered me and yesterday's events. I looked down at him and smiled a little, "No problem."
 
Out of no where there was an older student hovering over us, looking down at Peniel. He handed him a slip of paper then walked off. Peniel looked at it the got up lazily.
 
"Where are you going?," minhyuk asked as Peniel started to brush his pants off.
 
"The counselor's office, apparently I haven't been doing so well in my Chem class so I have to go and talk over my options of switching."
 
"Oh, well bye Peniel!!!," minhyuk squealed. I swear I seriously question how he is older than me.
 
"Bye Peniel," I said, hoping the sadness wasn't noticeable.
 
"Bye guys." And with that, he walked off.
      *       *      *
I sat in math class with my head on my desk, wishing for the bell to ring. Peniel didn't come back before athletics ending, I hope he didn't get switched out of that class.
 
As if on cue with my thoughts, Peniel walked into my class with a yellow slip of paper. I sat straight up and watched him as he walked to my teacher and handed him the paper. The teacher read it then looked at Peniel up and down.
 
Clearing his throat Mr. Jung said "Class we have a new student, Peniel." Girls started gasp and freak out at the thought of having Peniel in class. "He will be here for the rest of the semester so... Yeah just be nice," then he went to his desk and sat down.
 
Peniel looked around at all the people and his eyes landed on me. I felt my cheeks start to burn up and I weakly smiled at him. Oh my god, I thought, oh my GOD thank you!!! Thank you for adding him to another class!!
 
He smiled back and started walking towards me. "Hey there," he said cooly, sliding into the empty desk next to me in the back.
 
"Hey. Did you get out if that chemistry class?"
 
"Yeah, I got almost a whole new schedule," he said and my heart dropped for a second at the thought that I won't get to see him in athletics anymore but then recovered when I remembered that he'll be in this class from now on.
 
"Oh really? What classes do you have now?," I asked casually.
 
He took out a folded up paper from his front pocket and handed it to me. I unfolded the paper and my heart raced a bit when I saw his schedule.
 
"Do we have any classes together?," he asked, his eyes shifting from me to the paper.
 
"Y-yeah we do actually," I said nervously, "All of them."