King With No Crown - Chapter 8

King With No Crown

The bell rang at the school, signalling the end of another day.  Woohyun declined his friends's request to join them at the arcade centre, much to Hoya's disappointment.

"Your dad's got a teacher's meeting so it'll be fine," said Hoya, trying to convince the boy to come along.

"I need to get home before it rains," Woohyun explained, looking up at the dark skies.  "I don't want to be caught out in the storm."

Woohyun waved his friends goodbye and headed off in the opposite direction.

Hoya stood and watched with a frown on his face.  He wanted to spend more time with the boy.  Just as he was about to turn away, he noticed a familiar black car driving in the same direction as Woohyun and it worried him.


Woohyun glanced up at the sky once again.  He noticed more dark clouds had rolled, covering the sky in a gloomy grey blanket.  He quickened his pace when he felt the first few drops of rain against his face.

Barely minutes after the first few drops had fallen, the rain began to pour.  Woohyun was prepared to be drenched from head to toe but was surprised when an umbrella came over his head, shielding him from the rain.  He looked up and smiled with delight when he saw who was holding onto the umbrella.

"What are you doing out in this weather without an umbrella?" Sunggyu asked the boy.

"I forgot to bring it," Woohyun replied.

Sunggyu smiled and passed the umbrella to Woohyun.  "Why don't you take mine?"

Woohyun shook his head in surprise.  "No, I can't do that.  You'll get wet."

"It's alright," replied Sunggyu.  "I live nearby."

Despite Sunggyu's words, Woohyun refused to take the older man's umbrella.  At that moment, a flash of lightning lit up the dark sky, followed by a loud clash of thunder.  Woohyun was so shocked by the sound that he immediately crouched down, covering his ears.  Sunggyu was shocked by the boy's reaction but he did not want the boy to get wet so he crouched down beside the boy, still holding the umbrella over their heads.

"Woohyun," the older man called out softly.  "Are you okay?"

Before Woohyun could respond, another flash of lightning and thunder struck, causing the boy to grab onto Sunggyu.  Sunggyu was caught by surprise by Woohyun's actions that he dropped the umbrella in his hand.  He tried to reach for it but froze when Woohyun leaned in and buried his face in his chest.

"Please make it go away," Woohyun pleaded.

The thunder roared again as if threatening to crack the sky.  Each time it struck, Woohyun held onto Sunggyu tighter, pleading for it to stop.  Seeing the boy in such a state, Sunggyu wrapped his arms around the boy and pulled him closer.  He could feel the boy trembling in his arms.

"It's okay," Sunggyu whispered to the boy.  "I'm here."


Nearby, in the black parked car, the three men sat and watched as the scene unfolded before them.

The man in the driver's seat leaned back and sighed.  "That's our boss.  What he wants, he gets.  Especially things that he's taken a liking to."

"Sungyeol, watch your words," the younger man in the back seat retorted in anger.  "The boss does not mix business with pleasure."

The man in the driver's seat smirked and glanced in the rearview mirror.  "Doesn't he?  Then why did you feel the need to attack the boy?"  He glanced at the third man in the front passenger seat beside him.  "Someone's jealous."

The third man smiled at Sungyeol's remark but remained silent.

The younger man glared at Sungyeol and reached out to strangle the man mocking him.

"Oh, looks like he's in business," Sungyeol announced with his eyes directed to the scene in front of them.

All eyes watched as Sunggyu carried the distraught boy in his arms and headed towards a nearby apartment building.

The younger man in the back seat frowned with dislike while Sungyeol simply smirked until they heard the ever so quiet member in the passenger seat speak.

"That might not be all he's getting in to."