King With No Crown - Chapter 7

King With No Crown

Woohyun felt a warm hand holding onto his.  He slowly opened his eyes and found himself lying in bed in an unfamiliar room.  It took him a few seconds longer to realise that he was in a hospital bed.  He turned his head to the side and saw his father sitting beside his bed.  His father seemed relived to see Woohyun awake.

"Dad? What am I doing here?" Woohyun asked, trying to recall what had happened.  It was only when he raised his hand to touch his head, that he realised it was wrapped in bandages.

"How are you feeling?" his father asked.

"Just a slight pain in the back of my head but I'm fine," the boy replied.  "How did I get here?"

"You left your wallet at home so I went out after you but..." His father paused a moment, remembering what he had witnessed.  If only he had seen the attacker's face.  "Did you see who attacked you?"

Woohyun shook his head.  "Someone hit me from behind.  Maybe they were after my wallet.  It was a good thing I didn't have it with me then," Woohyun said with a smile, trying to make light of the situation.  "Guess I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

His father could only hope that it was a random attack.


Hoya and the boys were shocked when they saw Woohyun the next morning on their way to school.  Woohyun's head was still wrapped in bandages.
"Woohyun, what happened?" they asked, concerned.

Woohyun simply smiled.  "Someone tried to rob me last night."

Hoya frowned.  "What?  Should you be going to school like this?"

"I'm fine," Woohyun replied.  "It's not as bad as it looks."

While the group of boys were fussing over Woohyun, his eyes glanced into the park as they passed.  He noticed that the bench where the man in the suit usually sat, was empty.  He could not help but wonder if the man was okay.  He let out a small sigh and continued on.  It was then that he noticed the boys had halted in their pace.  Woohyun caught up to them and saw what had made them stop.

Approaching towards them was the man in the black suit.  The boys looked at the man then at Woohyun.  The man looked just as shocked as the boys were when they saw Woohyun's head wrapped in bandages.  He looked at Woohyun as if wanting to say something but seemed hesitant with so many pairs of eyes staring back at him.

"Why don't you guys go ahead?" Woohyun suggested.  "I'll catch up."

Hoya seemed reluctant to do so but gave up when Woohyun insisted.

The man waited until the boys passed him before he approached Woohyun.  "What happened to your head?" the man asked, looking concerned.

Woohyun smiled to reassure the man.  "It's nothing.  I ran into some trouble last night when I went to buy food for Snow."

The man frowned in confusion.  "Snow?"

"Oh, I named the kitten Snow," Woohyun replied with a proud smile.

The man smiled.  "It does suit him."

"Were you okay last night?" Woohyun asked.

"Last night?"  It took the man a moment to realise what Woohyun meant.  "Yes, thanks to you."

Woohyun seemed relieved.  "That's good."

There was a moment of silence between them with neither knowing what to say next.

"Um, I should go or I'll be late for school," said Woohyun, trying to break the awkward atmosphere.

"Wait!" the man called out, grabbing onto Woohyun's arm.

Woohyun was startled and turned back to look at the man, who immediately released his grip. 

"I'm sorry," the man apologised.  "I wanted to give this back to you."  The man handed Woohyun the coat he was carrying in his hand.

Woohyun remembered giving the coat to the man while the man was asleep.  "How did you know it was mine?"

"I found your student card inside one of the pockets," the man replied.

Their conversation was interrupted when one of Woohyun's friends called out to him.

"Woohyun!  We're gonna be late if you don't hurry!"

Woohyun glanced up ahead to where his friends were waiting.  He then turned back to look at the man.  "I have to go."

The man nodded.  "Sorry for taking up your time."

Woohyun was quiet for a moment before he smiled at the man.  "Since you already know my name, will you tell me yours?"

The man looked at Woohyun and contemplated a moment.  "I'm Sunggyu."

The man waited until Woohyun and his friends were out of sight before he walked into a side street where a black car was parked.  The three men inside the car stepped out upon seeing the man arrive.

The man looked displeased.  "Who was it?"