King With No Crown - Chapter 5

King With No Crown

"So, where did you guys go yesterday?" Hoya asked Woohyun on their way to school.

Woohyun seemed hesitant to answer.  "Nowhere special."

Hoya frowned, noticing that his friend was lying to him.  "You know, you only make me more curious by not telling me."

"It's nothing..."  Woohyun stopped mid sentence when he glanced over at the park and saw that the bench, usually occupied by the man in the black suit, was empty.

Hoya looked in the direction of Woohyun's gaze and realised what he was looking at.  "Didn't think he would be here today."

Woohyun turned to look at Hoya.  "Why do you say that?"

"Saw him got taken away by some men yesterday," Hoya informed nonchalantly.  "They looked like gangsters to me.  Maybe he owes them money or something.  That's usually how it is, isn't it?"

"Why didn't you report it to the police?" Woohyun asked, seemingly concerned for the man's well being.  "He might be in danger."

Hoya frowned at Woohyun's concern for the man.  "It's none of my business," he shrugged.  "Besides, we shouldn't get involved with gangsters."


Woohyun knew that Hoya was right but he could not help but worry about the man whose name he did not even know.  He grew anxious with each passing hour until he heard the bell at the end of the day.

While walking along the streets with his group of friends, Woohyun noticed a small white kitten approaching his way.  The kitten looked familiar.  Woohyun picked up the kitten and glanced around for his owner.

Hoya turned back and saw Woohyun standing there with the kitten in his arms.  "Woohyun, you coming?"

"I'll meet you there," Woohyun replied and headed for the park.


The man opened his eyes and found himself alone on the park bench.  Realising that the kitten was missing, he immediately got up to search for him but a pang of pain had him grimacing and clutching his stomach.  He glanced down at his shirt and saw the blood seeping through the bandages.  Upon hearing footsteps approaching, he quickly pulled his jacket to cover the front of his shirt.  He turned around to find the by in school uniform with the kitten in his arms.

Woohyun smiled in relief when he saw the man at the bench.  "I believe he's yours."

"He's not mine actually," the man replied, much to Woohyun's surprise.  "I found him here a few days ago.  I've been waiting here in the hopes that his owner might turn up.  You're not his owner?"

Woohyun shook his head with a sad look upon his face.  "It's been days and his owner still hasn't come for him.  Maybe he's been abandoned."

Their conversation was interrupted when they heard the sound of a car pull up by the side of the road.  Woohyun glanced  and saw three men in black suits step out of the car.  Remembering what Hoya had told him, Woohyun grabbed the man's hand and dragged him along.

The man was taken by surprise by Woohyun's actions.  "Wha-"

"We have to go," said Woohyun.  "The bad people are coming."

The three men stood and watched as the boy led the man away.  Rather than pursue them, the three men returned to their car.


Woohyun dragged the man along the busy streets until they were outside a police station.

"You'll be safe here," Woohyun declared proudly.

"Safe?" the man asked questioningly.  He glanced at where they were standing while clutching his stomach.  He could feel his wound reopening.

Woohyun frowned with concern when he saw the man clutching his stomach.  "Are you okay?" he asked.  "Did they hurt you?"

"They?" the man asked in surprise.  "You know who it was?"

"Those men before are gangsters, aren't they?  My friend said he saw them take you away yesterday," Woohyun replied.  "Do you owe them a lot of money?"

The man contemplated a moment before nodding his head.

"Maybe you shouldn't go to the park anymore since they know you'll be there," Woohyun suggested.  "You should go inside and wait awhile for them to leave before you go home."

The man nodded.

Woohyun smiled and handed the kitten back to the man.

"Since it looks like he's been abandoned, would you care to look after him?" the man asked.  "I'm not good with pets.  That's probably why he ran away looking for you instead."

Woohyun smiled and nodded.  "Be careful."

The man stood and watched as Woohyun disappeared down the street.  He glanced at the police station and sighed before turning away in the opposite direction, only to be confronted by the three men.