Extra Chapter 16.1

A Boy Who Never
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I ask but one thing of you, only one, That always you will be my dream of you;

-To a Friend, 1912

 

It's been several months since what happened and it's semestrial break, the students either went back to their hometown or stay in their dorms hanging out with friends and meeting other appointments and deadlines. 

For Jungwoo, he mostly stays at their home, helping his mom and reads a book. While in his room, Jungwoo reminisces the day him and Lucas got in terms of being friends. Jungwoo and Lucas often message each other and Lucas likes to ask him to hang out though at some times Jungwoo declines. Someone is knocking on Jungwoo's room door and it's his mom.

Mrs. Kim: "Are you inviting your friend here later for dinner?"

Jungwoo: "I...yeah, he will come later."

Mrs. Kim invited Lucas to have dinner in them later. Jungwoo shared with his mom that Lucas and he became friends and he also shared that the boy who she talked before is Lucas and Mrs. Kim felt delighted knowing that both of them became friends.
After Jungwoo took a bath and change his clothes, his phone is ringing and it's Lucas.

Jungwoo: "Hello?"


Lucas: "Hey! Do I want to ask if today is still push through? I mean having dinner there?"


Jungwoo: "Yeah, mom is actually excited to see you"


Lucas: "Really?"


Jungwoo: "Yeah, she's been cleaning the house and preparing food."


Lucas: "Okay, I'll send you a message if I'm on my way there. Uhmm..do you want anything or your mom? I can bring it later..."


Jungwoo: "My mom loves carrot cake though..."


Lucas: "Noted. See you!"


Jungwoo: "Yeah, see you"


Since Jungwoo and Lucas became friends, Jungwoo is aware of himself that he's been having this feeling of looking forward to the days he'll be seeing Lucas.

It's already 6:30 PM, Jungwoo who is helping his mom with the things in the kitchen when suddenly someone rang their doorbell.

Mrs. Kim: "That's probably Lucas."


Jungwoo: "I'll get it."

Jungwoo stood up from his seat and walks into the door then outside. Jungwoo saw a familiar face, it's Lucas. Lucas' hair is down, wearing a coat and a black turtleneck. Jungwoo somehow blush when he saw Lucas smiling at him and waves into his way.


Lucas: "Hey! I'm sorry if I just came at this time."


Jungwoo: "No...it's fine."


Jungwoo keeps on looking at Lucas because he doesn't usually see Lucas with that kind of style especially his hair is down and Jungwoo thought while they are walking towards the door of the house is that Lucas indeed has that boy next door charisma with his tall physique and neo-noir visuals, that he usually sees on films.

When they finally arrive inside the house, Mrs. Kim welcome Lucas wit a hug and smile as she greeted Lucas then they proceed to the table to make dinner.
While on the table, Mrs. Kim and Lucas are talking happily, conversing about the university and anything; Jungwoo is just looking at them with a smile, though he is quiet and only gives a few words on the conversation, he appreciates the positive atmosphere with Lucas and his mom. 

Mrs. Kim asked Lucas about the noon castle, what is it like it before they renovated the house.

Lucas: "When I first visited this house, it's rusty, broken and messy but I never get scared or anything because somehow this place became my escape place with a friend hanging out with me."

Mrs. Kim: "Oh, so the garden? are you and your friend responsible for it?"

Lucas: "Yes, ma'am. My friend and I, we are the one who planted it and cleaned it though it's troublesome for me since back in that day, I don't like doing a lot of things that makes me tired unless it's sports. I am a very stubborn kid but I guess planting that garden helps me to correct that attitude of mine."

Mrs. Kim cackles as she understood what Lucas is saying to her. Then Mrs. Kim asking him why they decided to make the garden.


Lucas: "Uhmmm, that friend, he likes it. I remember he always mentioned to me that despite the place being abandoned, there's this one place that he wants to remember as not broken as it seems the house used to be."


Jungwoo just keeps on listening to Lucas while Lucas is looking at him as he is sharing the story.


Lucas: "The flowering tree is there ever since I came here and my friend thought that it's nice to plant flowers and plants... but I haven't seen the flowering tree as it blooms..."


Mrs. Kim: "That's nice to hear your story...your friend will be happy if he sees the garden because Jungwoo and I also maintain it."


Jungwoo: "My mom really likes gardening..."


Mrs. Kim: "And Jungwoo really didn't like it at all because he doesn't like to get his hand on dirt."


Jungwoo: "Mom!"


Lucas is looking at Jungwoo and Mrs. Kim, he can't help but laugh because he thought that Jungwoo and his mom have this friendly atmosphere, they are like these two people who knew each other too much that they bicker each other.


Jungwoo: "What are you laughing at?"


Lucas: "Oh! I'm sorry, it's just that...you and your mom have this friendly bickering moment and I remember how my mom and I also like that."


Mrs. Kim keeps on smiling and he looks at Jungwoo. Jungwoo also feels glad that he sees Lucas smiling and laughing with them. After they ate dinner, Lucas and Jungwoo wash the dishes and clean the table. While washing the dishes, Jungwoo insisted that he will do it since he thought that Lucas isn't used to cleaning because of his status.


Lucas: "No! I can do this"

Jungwoo: "You sure?! You seem like you're not used to this."


Lucas: "Hey, I'm used to it now. I live in an apartment by myself when I moved to university. I may seem to look like I don't know how to do things and because of my family status but we're actually a normal family too."


Jungwoo: "You're tired of it? The expectations of people around you because of your family status?"


Lucas: "Yeah, I guess... but that thought, I really don't want to get that on me because I know to myself that whatever they are saying to me or to my family, I know that we're just like a normal family. My mom is an actress while my dad owns a big corporation domestically and internationally but we're just normal people who do normal things."


Jungwoo: "I'm sorry that I judge you without knowing the whole story...people around me telling me that you're this popular guy in university with a known status, hanging with rich kids and going out to expensive places but when I found out that you're in the same club as me, I thought...I guess this guy doesn't seem what they thought he is."

Lucas smiled at what Jungwoo said to him and he continued washing the dishes. After dinner, Jungwoo and Lucas wash the dishes and clean the table together. They also watched a film with Jungwoo's mom, Lucas thought that it feels homely. They watched a film with Lucas' mom when she's in her 20s, Mrs. Kim has nothing but praises Lucas' mom and Lucas feels glad but also embarrassed about it. Mrs. Kim asked Lucas why he didn't also take that kind of career path like his mom since Lucas obviously has a great visual as an actor but Lucas just laughed it off and kindly said to Jungwoo's mom that he's not good with acting and his expressions are off though when he was a kid he used to go to acting classes since his . Then Mrs. Kim jokingly said that he can be a model instead since he has a tall physique and Lucas just keeps on nodding with a smile. Jungwoo also finds the atmosphere good and feels homely with it.


After watching almost a two hours film, it's time for bed. Lucas is about to go home but Mrs. Kim insisted that he should just sleep in there home and shared a room to Jungwoo. Jungwoo got surprised with it but since it's his mom who said it, he can't decline it.

At Jungwoo's room, Lucas looks around and it's full of books, Jungwoo's room is very minimalist with only white and black colors in it. 

Jungwoo: "It's bland right? my room?"


Lucas: "No. It actually speaks that it's your room."


Jungwoo: "Hey, uhm...do you want to drink?"


Lucas: "You can?"


Jungwoo: "Yeah, my mom allowed me since I'm at home, wait I'll take some at the fridge."


While Jungwoo is out of the room, Lucas looks around to Jungwoo's room. Lucas saw a picture frame, and he guesses that it's Jungwoo when he was still in grade school with his mom and dad. Lucas also noticed how to organize Jungwoo's stuff unlike his usual room in their home that it's messy since it's big. A moment later, Jungwoo comes inside with cans of beer and a snack.

Jungwoo: "Do you want to watch a film again while drinking?"

Lucas: "Nah, I'm already fine with the film that we watched earlier with my mom in it."


Jungwoo: "Okay then..."

Jungwoo opens his laptop and he played some music. Lucas who already sat on the ground keeps on looking at Jungwoo as Jungwoo also sat on the ground in parallel with him.

Jungwoo: "So what do you want to do then?"

Lucas smiles softly to Jungwoo and he said


Lucas: "Talk? I just want us to talk while drinking."


Jungwoo nods his head and open the can of beer and sips it.


Lucas: "I saw this picture of you when you were still a kid, is that your dad in your picture?"


Jungwoo: "Yeah, it's him."


Lucas: "Where is he? I mean, if you don't want to talk about it, it's fine to me. I'm sorry..."


Jungwoo: "No, it's fine, it's been a long time since that happened. My parents got separated, I decided to stay with my mom and my dad went abroad and has a new family, it but yeah, I guess that's how it is."


Lucas: "I'm sorry...I should have been more attentive."


Jungwoo: "It's okay Lucas, stop saying sorry already. See I'm smiling right?" 

Jungwoo is smiling and Lucas knows it. Lucas looks at his eyes and it doesn't paint any painful feeling, Jungwoo is smiling.

Jungwoo: "Bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter