The Task

The Mortal and the God

 Yoona transported back to her home, her castle. Her large, marble, white castle laid in the middle of an endless green field, which also closely resembled to a meadow as there were endless flowers growing from the foot of her castle and all the way on. There was always servants walking around, in and out of the endlessly large building. She lived there along with her lovely son, Cupid. But now, in the mood that she’s in, looking at the princesses favorite color, white, and the millions of flowers that had been given to her along with the millions of presents made her rage even more. She now also realized why they gave her so many flowers and strung them upon the chapel: they were the sings of Venus herself.
 Yoona angrily stomped in side her home and ignored all that had bowed in her presence. She pointed to the nearest servant. “You. Fetch me two goblets of ambrosia.” The servant immediately left and came back within minutes for her drinks. Yoona gulped down one of the cups and handed it back to the servant that watched with widened eyes. The servant can tell of her mood. Yoona shoved the cup in the servants hands. “Make sure to wash the cup down ‘till it shines.” The servant nodded and quickly ran off to the kitchens. Yoona haughtily whipped her hair and strode away from the obviously terrified servant. He quickly ran to do her order as he didn’t want to be in middle of the queen’s rage.

 Yoona crossed a few of the halls and ended up in the gardens with the her two fountains. One with the water sweet, and the other bitter. Colorful flowers spread around the fountains and some of them sprouting baby’s breath around the stems. Ugh. That girl’s favorite flower. Yoona had found out Na Eun’s personality in such a short time; thanks to the woman who escorted her to the party and then rudely abandoned her to dance like the princess. So, the girls favorite flower is baby’s breath, as with white being her favorite color. She had talents that were obviously admired by everyone, especially taking a look at her playing the oboe and dancing with her father. And the last and most infuriating thing: she has beauty that has surpassed Yoona’s and is the cause why everyone has abandoned her alters. She has also poisoned the minds of the mortals and has confirmed her the Venus of their world. It must have been part of that girls evil plan. To take Yoona’s fame and status and name her Venus.
 Yoona paced angrily back and forth, nearly spilling the contents of her drink upon her hand. She wanted so much as to get rid of the girl, but how can she? She can’t risk damaging her reputation and getting blood all over her pretty little hands. But she can get someone to kill her for her. Now, who could-

 Yoona’s head shot up as an arrow shot just inches away from her face and had stuck inside the buildings wall, and cause a scorching spot where it had landed. Yoona’s face contorted with anger and stress. She angrily wiped her head around. “Cupid!”
 A rustle came from the trees, followed by a soft and mischievous snicker. Yoona curled her lip. “CUPID!” Yoona’s hand started to grip tighter to her goblet and it suddenly shattered in her hand and the ambrosia started to drip from her balled up fist. A small cut appeared on her thumb and dripped blood but Yoona paid no attention to it. She simply a little on her thumb and the scratch disappeared. She a little on her other fingers, in the wasted ambrosia.
 Yoona looked up to see her son, Cupid, jump from the bushes and look at his mother up and down. He smirked, “You look angry.” Yoona shook her head. “I feel angry too.”
 Yoona looked at her son more closely and realized what a mess he looked over all his beauty: his hair was tousled and had dirt in it. He wore no shoes or shirt and her chest had streaks of blood. He had two scratches on his arm, but he was still holding that sneaky smile of his. Yoona walked up to him. “What have you been doing, my son”
 Cupid shrugged. “Hunting. We will be having wild boar for dinner.” Cupid walked pass her and walked to the fountain the contained the sweet water. He first cupped his hand and drunk from his palm and then dipped his whole face inside the water. He rapidly shook his head and the dirt from his hair and face washed off into the fountain. He then stood up and started to wash the water onto his torso and his arms. The blood washed away and his small wounds had healed and disappeared. He now looked like the god of love that Venus and conceived. Venus always knew he would be so great but at the same time he has turned a little haughty and his mischief hasn’t gone unnoticed from everyone else; the gods and the mortals. Yoona had watched him grow up and had done nothing to change the ways of her son. He was just too good to obey the changes.

 Cupid looked at his mother and noticed her mad expression. “Mother, what is upsetting you so?”
 Yoona huffed and sat on the fountain. She crossed her arms and legs and said, “Sadly my Taemin, it seems I have been replaced.” Cupid, his other name Taemin, sat next to Yoona and looked at her with curiosity. “How is that?”

 Yoona looked at him and narrowed her eyes. “How? Oh, this shall surprise you. Some mortal princess of Earth has put her kingdom under her spell and now they are all saying that she is Venus.”
 Taemin widened his eyes. “What? How could she?”
 “Yes, I know! But it had seemed so easy for her. I have seen her with my own eyes and can not believe; she is very beautiful. All even saying it surpasses mine. Her skin is marble, her hair is as black as midnight, and her eyes strike you with their hypnotic powers. She is able to play an instrument and I could see her other talents within her. She can dance, she can sing, and even her sisters are jealous of so grateful of her beauty.”

 Taemin’s feelings mixed with curiosity. She is that beautiful, and it has surpassed his mother’s? She must really be something if it’s coming from his mother’s mouth.
 “But what makes me more upset,” Yoona continued. “The people have deserted my alters and are instead giving her gifts and prayers of a long and happy life. That is not fair.” Yoona stood up and turned her back on Taemin, closing in her thoughts. Taemin stood right behind her. He set his hand on her shaking shoulder. “What can I do to help, mother?” Yoona looked up. She didn’t even think it before; her son could do something. He was after all a magnificent hunter, he could kill anything or anyone, big or small. And maybe he can play a part in his mother’s problem. Yoona turned and gave Taemin a gleaming eye look. Taemin stepped back a step. “There is something you can do Taemin.” She gripped his shoulders and grinned wildly. “You could do it for me. You can kill the princess.”

 Taemin raised a brow. “Kill? Mother, is it really that serious-”
 “YES IT IS!” Taemin jumped at Yoona’s thundering voice. “Don’t treat the problem like it’s a joke! This is my power on the line, taken by a mortal. I’m giving you a task and I expect you to obey.”
 Yoona turned Taemin towards the sweet water fountain and with a wave of her hand, a moving image of the princess appeared; her in the chapel with her many admires and dancing in a silken pink dress, and her hair tied into a glistening shiny pony tail. Taemin was nearly taken a back. The image was enough for him to realize what a real true beauty she is. Taemin tried not to show emotion of his heightened feelings in front of his enraged mother. Yoona possessively wrapped her arms around his shoulders and rested her chin upon his shoulder. “This is princess Na Eun. Beautiful isn’t she?” His mother was challenging him, daring him to say what probably other men would have said. Yes. She is beautiful. I think I’ve already fallen for her. . . Taemin shook his head. Yoona smirked. “Don’t lie to me.” she whispered in his ear. “My dear son, punish that contumacious beauty; give your mother a revenge as sweet as her injuries are great; if you so much as fail the task, infuse into the bosom of that haughty girl a passion for some low, mean, unworthy being, so that she may reap a mortification as great as her present exultation and triumph.”

 Taemin watched as Na Eun gracefully lifted her leg straight up in the air and then slid down on the floor, her hair spread beautifully on the floor and the music ending slowly with her moves. Taemin heard a crowd cheering for her and suddenly held his breath as Na Eun turned her head and was looking right him. Then the image of her dispersed and disappeared. Taemin couldn’t tear his eyes from the water until Yoona grabbed his chin and turned his face to her. She looked him in the eyes, “I want the deed done. Tonight.” Then she strode away from him.

 Taemin leaned against the fountain and wished to see the girl in the water again, but could only look at his own reflection. He did see why his mother was so determined to have her official position back, but that doesn’t mean he has to kill her? After all, she did give him two choices: he either kills her, or if he fails he would have to send to the Oracle that she is to be sent away and married to a hideous beast. Taemin would have to make a choice. He would make that choice when he sees the princess in person.

 Taemin slipped into his pants pocket and pulled out two amber vases. He filled the two with water from the fountains, one with sweet and one bitter. Then, he carefully slipped the vases into his pocket and walked off, preparing his bow and arrows.