Corn and Barely

The Mortal and the God

 Na Eun’s eyes fluttered open to her very blue nursery room. Where am I? she thought.
 She felt a numbing feeling in her head and looked to the table with the pills and the pitcher of water. Oh, Right.
 Feeling being a little dry, Na Eun refilled a cup with water.

 At that moment, someone knocked on the door. “Come in.”

 The door creakily opened to see Min Ah’s husband entering with Kim, newly dressed in glasses and a doctors coat. He was also carrying a brief case and a stethoscope around his neck. “Good morning, Na Eun.” he greeted. Na Eun bowed her head and set the glass back down. “Good Morning.”
 Kim took a chair and set himself beside the bed.

 “I heard you fell asleep pretty quick thanks to those pills. But I didn’t imagine you would take them as soon as you wake up.” Kim set down his case. “Any morning sickness?”
 Na Eun shook her head. “Just a bit of dizziness. But I’ll be fine.”
 Kim considered this. “Hm. Interesting.” He motioned for her to lay back. Kim put his stethoscope in place but pause as he looked down at Na Eun. She looked at him at confusion and looked down to her stomach. He had to get to her stomach, but she was wearing a dress.
 “Oh. Um.” Na Eun sat up. “Don’t worry, I got it.”

 She slowly started to stand up, with the help of Kim, but a rush of dizziness seized her and she slightly wavered in her steps. Kim raised a brow. “A bit of dizziness, huh?” Na Eun sighed. Kim was acting differently today. Yesterday, he was so warm and kind. He still is, but right now he’s in his business mode.
 Na Eun took a steady breath. Kim looked away as she started to undress herself. Good thing she decided to wear an undershirt instead of a brassier.
 Na Eun carefully laid back down. “Okay. Proceed.” Kim nodded and set his stethoscope again.
 Carefully, he lifted her undershirt and set the piece on her stomach. Na Eun noticed it has gotten slightly wider. “Breath slowly and deeply.” Na Eun did so. She tried not to wince every time the cold stethoscope moved along her tummy.

 “Hm. That’s an interesting sound.” Kim muttered.

 Na Eun looked at him. “What is?” she asked.

 “Well, your stomach hasn’t grown much, but the fetus seems to have grown a faint heart beat.” Kim moved the piece just above her belly button. “It’s just there, very faint. That’s amazing, that means it can grow a bit faster.”

 “Isn’t that bad? What if it comes out to early?”

 “No. It’s only growing a bit fast, but the same nine month pregnancy will go on. That just means it’s still healthy.” Kim pulled down her shirt. “Now that we know it’s still healthy, let’s check on you.”

 Na Eun furrowed her brows. “What? If the baby’s healthy, doesn’t it mean I’m healthy? All of this dizziness and fainting are just part of the process right?”
 Kim looked away.
 “Right?” Na Eun challenged.

 Kim silently took off his stethoscope and folded his hands. “You see madam, remember yesterday when you suddenly felt sick while escorting you here?” Na Eun nodded. “And that I said I’ve never seen these symptoms before.” Na Eun nodded again. “So?” she questioned.
 Kim awkwardly rubbed his neck, but took a breath and leaned in. “I fear that there may be something else wrong with your body, and it may affect the baby whilst it’s there.”

 Na Eun furrowed her brows again. “What are you saying?”

 Kim fumbled with his fingers. “I don’t know what it is yet, but there may be a disease lurking in your body.”
 Na Eun turned silent. A disease? How could this be? She was fine only days ago, besides the vomiting episodes. But then she realized the other things that were wrong with her. Dry heaving, coughing, and her stomach lurching like it was bleeding from the inside out. Her energy had reached an all time low, and her head was constantly hurting. She only thought it was from being pregnant, only thought it’ll pass one way or another. Not some kind of disease that could kill her baby.
 Na Eun starred at Kim in horror. “A-are you sure?”

 Kim nodded silently.
 Na Eun slumped back and broke into a bitter chuckle. “I’m. . . I can’t believe it. I have a disease.”
 “I’m sorry, I don’t know how to cure it yet. But whilst I find out, you should stay here and rest. Eat healthy, and it wouldn’t hurt to go outside a few times, but other wise you should lie in here.”

 And then a thought occurred to her. She couldn’t just lie here. She had to get to Taemin, and apologize for what she had done. If she doesn’t do it now, when? Will time have passed too much and he will have moved on? She couldn’t take chances.
 Na Eun sat up and looked at Kim with sorrowful eyes, even though she was wearing a smile. “I’m sorry Kim, but I wasn’t planning on staying here for more then a day. I was planning on leaving this morning. There’s someone who needs to know about my condition.” Na Eun started to slip out of the bed, but Kim quickly took hold of her shoulders.
 “Na Eun, you can’t. You must rest.”

 Na Eun lightly pushed his hands away. “I’m only going to another family members house. I wouldn’t want to be a burden to my sister here. I just want to leave.”
 Na Eun quickly got up and started to put on her dress.

 “Tell my sisters I left this morning to go to my parents. They’ll understand.”

 Kim stood up and took hold of her shoulders again. “Your actually going to risk getting worse just to travel to your kingdom. We must figure out this disease first.”
 Na Eun smiled. “It’s not far. I’ll make sure to mention of doctor Kim who generously took care of me.”
 Na Eun strode out of the room. Kim followed looking shocked as ever.
 “Are you serious?” he questioned.

 “Yes, I am. Tell my sisters I said goodbye.” Na Eun grabbed her slippers, and made her way to the door, until Kim held out a hand and shouted, “Stop.”
 Na Eun turned.
 Kim sighed and curled his fingers. “If you insist on going,” Na Eun raised a brow. “I would suggest, taking some supplies, since you choose to go without transportation.”
 Kim left and came back holding a brown satchel. “Let’s get some things.” He motioned for her to follow him and they walked back to the nursery room.
 Kim sat on his knees and opened up his case. He took two small bottle of pills and two small vials.
 “Take the pills when you have the need to fall right asleep. The vials are for your headaches, stomach pains, or over active coughing. But the drugs inside are very strong so only take very little at a time.” Na Eun nodded.
 Kim looked up at her. “I guess you don’t have a second pair of clothes, huh?”

 Na Eun shook her head. “No, unfortunately. But, me and my sisters are the same size. I can barrow my sisters clothes.”
 “She wouldn’t mind?” Kim asked.

 “’Course not. We used to barrow each others clothes all of the time.”

 Na Eun scurried out of the room and took a right to where her sister and her husband’s room. Na Eun noticed the bed was quite large and the bed was not made but as mess of sheets everywhere. Na Eun blushed as she happened to step on one of her sisters discarded shirts and her husbands pants only inches from it. She walked over the clothes and towards the wardrobe.
 As she looked to the contents of her sisters shirts, she raised a brow. There were no normal shirts, but corsets of all colors. Then strapless dresses that seemed quite small tight on the torso. Marriage has changed Min Ah.

 Na Eun sighed as she settled to grabbing the dark blue corset and a long black skirt. But then, she realized that it’ll be quite irritating to her growing stomach, so she also grabbed Min Ah’s husbands large white shirt. She quickly ran to the nursery room but found that Kim wasn’t there and walked to the kitchen.
 He seemed to be wrapping some food up and putting it in the bag.

 “Eat a little bit of this everyday. You need the nutrients.” He shook a little separate brown bag. Na Eun pointed to it. “Chocolate?”

 Kim smiled. “Yup.”

 Kim packed the chocolate inside. “Everything’s here.” He held out the bag to her.

 “Thank you.” Na Eun said as she took the bag. She folded up the spare clothes and put them in the bag. “Please tell my sisters I said thank you and goodbye.”
 She gave a low curtsy to him, and he bowed in return. “So long.” he said quietly.
 “Farewell.” Na Eun smiled.

 And with that Na Eun slung the bag over her shoulders and stood straight, walking out the door.

 Back upon the grassy fields, Na Eun walked off to the cliff of the edge of the land. It had only been a day since she vomited in the flowers, and she happened to come across the space where she did it. The vomit had hardened and the flowers among it were wilting and brown.
Na Eun gagged and walked away.

 First place she wanted to go before the cliff was the river. Maybe she could find out about where to go if she asked a god himself. Pan was nice before. He could help her.
 She crossed the tree opening and ran into the running water creek. She jumped over the water and as soon as she hit the ground, it was like the land had immediately sensed her. The wind blew furiously, the water rushed quicker, and a figure was making his presence known. He ran through a fit of blowing branches and trees and like magic, was right in front. Pan was shirtless and looking down at her. Na Eun noticed his hair had changed color since she was here. His brown hair had changed to a fiery red.
 He smirked and raised his brow. “I believe you were expecting me.”

 Na Eun smiled. “Yes.” she muttered.

 Pan turned around and pointed to his back. “Hop on princess.”
 Na Eun hesitantly hopped on his back. “Um, thank you Pan.”

 “Please, call me Donghae.”

 Na Eun yelped when Donghae suddenly took off in a fast running speed. The wind violently ran into her fast and she closed and tucked her head in his shoulder.
 Within a minute the wind stopped and she gasped. She opened her eyes to see them already at the cliff.
 “We’re here.” Donghae said. Na Eun shakily hopped off his back.

 With a nod of his head Donghae started to walk away, but Na Eun called him, “Wait.”
 Donghae turned. “Yes?”

 Na Eun coughed. “You. . . know about me and Taemin. I was wondering if, you know where he is.”

 Donghae raised a brow. “I’m sorry?”

 “Do you know where he is living now? How can I find him?”

 Donghae shook his head and looked up to the sky. “Your going to have to figure that out yourself. I am always here on Earth.”

 Na Eun furrowed her brows. “But, all gods always know what’s going on. You should know at least where he is. Which way to go,”
 “I’m sorry, I don’t,”
 “Where I can talk to his mother, Venus.”

 Donghae released a low and ark chuckle. “You. Talking to Venus. I’m warning you, you wouldn’t want to do that.”

 Na Eun grunted and walked up to him. She looked him in the eyes. “Why won’t you help me? You helped me before.”
 Donghae shrugged. “I feel you’re a smart girl. You should know on the way there.” he took her shoulders and gave her a smile. “Follow your heart.”

 Donghae nodded his head again in goodbye, and started to walk away. Na Eun starred at his back for a long moment. How could he not help her? Follow your heart? How could she? She’s never been anywhere besides that glorious house, and now that’s all gone. But, she should know one more thing before she goes. “Wait!”
 Donghae raised his brow as he turned to her again. “I at least want to know,” Donghae raised his chin and crossed his arms looking at her gravely.
 “Does. . . Taemin, miss me?”
 Na Eun fiddled with her fingers. “Does he not love me anymore?”

 Donghae shook his head and snickered. He strode over to her, grab her shoulders, leaned in and whispered, “He’s bawling.”

                                                                                                       *

 Donghae speedily ran fast away with a strong wisp of wind trailing behind him.
 Na Eun turned up to the skies. The clouds were just rolling in, which could only mean the sun was shining on the lands of the gods.
 Then she looked down to the rushing water below and gasped. She could swear their was a bit of red upon on pointy rock in particular. Na Eun felt sick to her stomach again. She gagged, started to burn, and she vomited down into the river.

 Na Eun wiped the corners of . “Ugh, already?” Na Eun muttered. She took the cloth from her brassiere again and coughed into it again. She thought she only needed to wipe her face, but the fit of coughs returned like all the other times.
 She released a rough and wet cough and removed the cloth. She gasped and covered as she starred at the contents in the rag. One, two, three large spots of blood.
 Na Eun wept. How could this be? Why is she coughing up blood? What in the hell is wrong with her? Na Eun balled up the piece of cloth angrily and threw it down into the rocks. She will not let this so called disease stop her from going on and finding her husband. Like it or not, she will talk to him and settle it all.
 And then and there, she heard the sound of the giggling. Na Eun looked up and nearly wept with relief as she let a tear fall from her eye. “I need help. Take me to my destination.”
 The Zephyrs nodded in response and slowly lowered themselves to her. “Lie down.” they whisper. Na Eun does as they say. Within a moment, she was descended into the air. She realized the clouds were much closer to the ground then everyone thinks. You would think from where the stood, it was like it would take them forever to reach them. But already the puffs of smoke were coming into contact with her.
As she got closer and closer, there was suddenly a blinding light in face. Na Eun tightly shut her eyes and waited for the white light to disappear. Once it was gone she slowly opened her eyes. The Zephyrs were gone and she was lying on the ground. Very wet ground.
Na Eun sat up and groaned as she looked at her back. The shirt was wet and covered in dirt, as well as the skirt. She stood up and took in her surroundings. Her beautiful surroundings. She had laid in front of a stone temple. One so large and great she could not see the ending to the top. She slowly stepped up the stone steps, still looking up into the temple. As she entered, to her left was a short stone table, where someone would ought to lay, but it was empty. Na Eun looked up. . . and up some more. . . “Wow.” The ceiling was a spiraling galaxy, hundreds and miles of stars seemed to be beyond the point she was starring at. Along the walls were three statues on each side. They were of the beastly creatures that inhabited the land of the gods. Animals that were crossed over from Earth’s creatures. One with the tail of a lion, the body of an elephant, and the head of a zebra. Another of a serpent with the horns of a deer, and even a man with the hooves of a donkey, small black wings, and a unicorn head. One might have thought it was terrifying, but Na Eun felt curious of how they would look without being in stone. Maybe if she was lucky, she could run into one.

 Across the hall was another large room, with glowing walls of all colors. Na Eun scurried across from the creature statues and too that room. Like the main hall, it had a spiraling galaxy above on the ceiling. The floors where pearly white and sparkling, and along the walls were mosaic art of the gods and goddesses. Na Eun’s jaw dropped.
 She first spotted Pan, Donghae, and with long green hair. This hair changing thing must be normal for him.
 Then their was Jupiter, looking upon a page in his hand. He looked so beautiful, and his hair seemed to caresses his face like she’s never seen before.
 Na Eun turned and gasped. Their was beautiful Venus, fiery eyes starring down her. She wore a blue sparkling suit and carried a kind of musketeer sword. Her hair was beautiful tangle of brown curls. Na Eun was confused. How could she be compared to her? Venus was the true beauty, not her. And then the picture next to her had Na Eun grasping her chest and painfully biting her lip.
 Taemin’s eyes were closed, his wings spread wide, and his hands together prayer. And then she noticed something in the back, right behind his legs. An arm leaning against the floor, and a head leaning against the shoulder. A woman. Very long hair were a raven of curls and lusciously spread upon the floor. The face was smiling and looking upon her god in more of love then admiration. Na Eun widened her eyes and walked closer. The girl was. . . her.
 It must have been added when they had gotten married. Then, does that mean marrying Cupid, the god of love, makes her a goddess? It could explain why she’s part of the wall. Na Eun sighed. Now was not the time to stare, she had to get to her husband.
 Na Eun blew a kiss to Cupid’s picture, and then ran outside of the temple. She stared up ahead, and saw a few mountains from beyond. They were slightly cloudy and high up from where she was standing, but that could be where a god or goddess resigns.

 Starting on, she walked towards them.

                                                                                                              *

 Wandering day and night, with stopping for little food and no repose, she traveled straight to the mountains.
 For three days, her sickness has gotten worse. She would use some of her strength to walk on, even though her stomach continues to lurch and twist, and she vomited again. She already used up one vile of her medicine, and all of the chocolate is gone and eaten up. Her food is half gone, and she doesn’t want to use those ‘relaxing’ pills. She wants to keep going and refuses to fall asleep. She felt quite cold at night, as she worn out her dress, it getting tears and dirt on it, and had to settle for her sisters rather revealing corset. It sort of hugged her body a little too tight, and it slightly pushed up her s.

 At the same time in all this, she was afraid. Her health may be at stake, but it already was from the start. Every since she got pregnant, it felt like she could faint at any moment. Although, it’s possible it was the cause of being scratched by Cupid’s arrows. That weird, shaking feeling she had once she got scratched. Her hands shaking, the never ending crying, that feeling of being stabbed in the heart when your love leaves you. Oh, how painful that was. She hopes she never has to experience that kind of pain ever again.

 She past such exotic plants whilst walking. One multicolor with black and yellow thorns. A butterfly with crystal clear wings, and could sing. And then right at that moment, she ran into something so tremendously large. One of the creatures from the temple.
 Na Eun stopped in her tracks. The creature was ten time her size, the shape of a porcupine, but it beheld no spikes. It actually wore stone armor, the same stone made from the temple. It was hairy and it’s eyes were like a serpents. Na Eun opened in awe as it starred calmly at her, and she made an attempt to walk forward. But as she moved, it started to growl. Na Eun stepped back, but the creature lurched forward. Na Eun started to take quick steps back and the creature started to run. Na Eun started to run. Her heart quickened it’s pace along with her heart. The creature was fast upon her though, no matter how fast she ran. The creature shouted, vibrating the whole ground. It lifted it’s hand and scratched the back of her corset, also getting her skin. Na Eun grunted. She fell to her knees, and that burning pain in her stomach started again. No. Not now. She moaned in pain and fell to her side. The creature prowled behind her, and used it’s claw to turn her around. Na Eun starred at the large creature, and started to weep. This is it. I’m going to die. And he’ll never know about the baby.
 The creature raised his claw again and began to shout. Na Eun cringed and shut her eyes, ready for the excruciating pain. But, the shouting stopped, and no pain was met to her. Na Eun opened one eye, then the other. The creatures claw was lowered, and it’s nose was against her leg. He sniffed her, up her leg, around her torso, and it stopped. It dug it’s nose deeper into her tummy. Na Eun gasped. That thing could smell the baby?
 The creature looked her in the eye. Quite. Idle. Tamed.
 It stepped back from her. Leaving fifty feet in between them. As it stopped, the creature bowed to her. Na Eun furrowed her brows. Maybe it worked like the gods. It would know everything in the kingdoms, it may know of her marriage.

 Na Eun took a breath and sat up looking at the monster. “A-are you okay?” she didn’t know why she was suddenly talking to it, but it’s seemed to be more then it’s appearance. It understands her. The monster nodded.
 Na Eun coughed. “Do. . . you know me?” The creature huffed and nodded. Na Eun sighed. The pain in her stomach was gone, but now a headache was coming on. She coughed again, and heaved again. “Pardon me.” she coughed.
 Na Eun turned around and coughed into her hand. She felt constricted, claustrophobic. She reached down behind her, and started to untie the strings on the corset. With shaking fingers, she slowly got them undone. The creature behind her laid down and watched her quietly. With the last string undone Na Eun peeled off the corset, realizing how sweaty she was in it. Na Eun held her chest as sweet oxygen entered her body. The corset was ripped and covered in her sweat. There was no use for it now. She threw it away from her, and took at a vial and the large white shirt. She opened the vial with shaky hands and poured the whole contents of the drug inside. Taking a breath she threw away the vial and put on the white shirt. The shirt was really large. The sleeves hung off of her hands, and her shoulder was hanging out. But at least she could breath normally.
 Na Eun slung the bag back upon her shoulders. The creature still laid down, continuing to watch her in a calming manner. Na Eun started to walk around it, still starring at her. But then it stood. Na Eun froze and tried to look at it calming. The creature bowed to her again, and turned to walk away.

 Na Eun smiled and walked on.
 She crossed upon an entrance to a cave, one so dark you couldn’t see the end. But it’s the only thing here. She walked through, not knowing where she was going. But, she felt the walls against her fingers, and walked the way they went. She could feel where the tunnel was leading. She went straight, made a left, a right, and straight again. All the way until she could see a big doorway of light. Na Eun ran straight to it. As she exited the caves, she stopped to spot where she was now. And boy, was she somewhere.
 Casting her eyes on a lofty mountain having on it’s brow a magnificent temple. Walls made of marble, and just below it, marble steps leading down to a grassland.
 She sighed and said to herself, “Perhaps my love, my lord, inhabits here.” and directed her steps thither.

 She had no sooner entered upon the grand place, looking up high upon the beautifully carved columns. But then, she stopped. Along the walls she saw heaps of corn, some in loose ears and some sheaves, with mingled ears of barley. Scattered about, lay stickles and rakes, and all the instruments of harvest, without order, as if thrown carelessly out of weary reapers’ hands in the sultry hours of the day.
 Na Eun clicked her tongue. “Oh, no no no.”
 This unseemly confusion the pious Na Eun put an end to, by separating and sorting everything to its proper place and kind, believing that she ought to neglect none of the gods, but endeavor by her piety to engage them all in her behalf. And then after this, she could seek out her husband.
 Completed in only fifteen minutes, Na Eun stood and admired her work.

 Out on the side, to the entrance hall, came out a woman with wavy brown hair. She wore a long white dress, and wore a small tiara in her hair.
 It be the holy Ceres, whose temple it was. Ceres, know as the goddess of agriculture, grain crops, fertility and motherly relation ships.
Finding Na Eun so religiously employed, she clicked her heels as she walked towards her. Na Eun heard her, and widened her eyes as she realisied who it was. “Goddess Ceres.” Na Eun got down on her knees and gave a bow to her.
 Ceres shook her head and grabbed Na Eun’s hands. She picked her up, and smiled. “Call me Sooyoung.”

 Na Eun nodded. “Yes. Sooyoung.” In felt strange being casual to a goddess like this. She wasn’t so used to being so informal with anybody older then her.
 “If I may, Sooyoung. May you know where-” Sooyoung held up her hand.

 “I know my girl.” Sooyoung caressed her face. “Oh Na Eun, truly worthy of our pity, though I can not shield you from the frowns of Venus, yet I can teach you how best to alley her displeasure. Go, then,” Sooyoung pointed behind her and above. Na Eun turned to see another marble palace just beyond. “and voluntarily surrender yourself to your lady and sovereign, and try by modesty and submission to win her forgivness, and perhaps her favor will restore you the husband you have lost.”

 Na Eun took her words in. She has to face Venus. She will be the only one who could let her see Taemin.
 “I shall come with you.” Sooyoung said, starting to walk forward. Na Eun followed.

 And then a thought occurred that she wanted to find out some time. “Sooyoung, madam, I have met Pan.”

 Sooyoung nodded. “I know. Active boy he could be.” she joked. Na Eun chuckled. “Well, I didn’t really know the gods had other names.”

 Sooyoung nodded. “It’s true. It is the names we call each other, we find it more informal. Plus we use those names when we roam around the Earth.”

 “But, why do you insist on having me call you by those names.”

 Sooyoung stopped to face her. “Well, you married Cupid, the god of love, correct?” Na Eun nodded. Sooyoung wrapped an arm around her waist. “So that technically makes you a goddess. The goddess of love, I am happy to say.”