Task 2: River God

The Mortal and the God

 Krystal and Victoria walked up the spirling staircase. They had been ordered to check up on Na Eun briefly and wake her up.  Then tell Venus she’s awake and to get her ready for her next task. There was no say in getting her breakfast, and Krystal found that just to be torture. So she snuck a small vase of water, and a small plate of cakes. She would appreciate Krystal’s help. She knew that.
 “I hope you don’t get in trouble for bringing her food.” Victoria said, glancing back and giving a wary look. “I wouldn’t want to get on the goddesses current bad side.”

 Krystal sighed. “I have to, sister. She must be healthy, no matter what Venus says.”

 Victoria suddenly covered , giving a warning look. “She could hear you. Don’t say that now.” Krystal nodded.

 They continued up the high stairs until they reached the door.
 Victoria knocked. “Na Eun, we’re coming in. Are you decent?”

 No sound came from the room. Victoria knocked again. Not even a shuffle or creak came.

 Victoria and Krystal looked at each other.
 “Perhaps she is in deep sleep,” Krystal suggested. “Seperating that heap must have been exaughsting.”

 “Hand me the keys.” Victoria ordered. Krystal gestured to her hands, meaning she couldn’t hand her anything.
 Victoria groaned as she unhooked the keys from Krystal’s belt. Victoria moved quickly as she entered the key in the key hole and opened the door.

 Lightly dim sulight shot through the window.
 But something strange was in here. The very first thing that him them like an arrow was the smell. It particulary smelled of vomit.

 Victoria coughed, and groaned at the smell. “What in the hell?” she muttered as she waved her hand in front of her nose.  Victoria moved to step forward but Krystal yelled, “Stop.”
 She looked back. Krystal starred down at the floor, her eyes glossy and her nose scrunched. Victoria looked down.

 A thick green-ish, yellow-ish large stain was right in from of the door. But not only that spot, four other spots in the room.  One vomit puddle even had the color of red in the middle.
 “Oh my god.” Krystal gasped. Victoria looked near the window. Na Eun was leaning against an Iron Maiden, hanging open and her eyes open but no expression in them. She looked. . . dead.
 Krystal’s hands trembled. She dropped the plate of cakes, and the plate crashed down breaking into a million pieces.

 “No. No no no.” Krystal ran to Na Eun, Victoria trailing behind. Krystal set down the bottle, and told hold of Na Eun’s shoulders.
 “Princess! Please, wake up.” Krystal shook her, hard.

 Na Eun’s eyes drooped closed, and then slowly opened up again.
 This can’t be the end of her and her child. Krystal was on the verge of tears. She just become friends with this girl. And Taemin will be devesated. He’ll never eat or sleep again.

 “Ah. . . ah. . .” Na Eun moaned.

 “Yes? Yes?” Victoria and Krystal said.

 Na Eun sniffed. Slowly, a drip of blood came from . Na Eun slowly said, “I. . . can’t. . .” and then she fainted on Krystal’s shoulder.

 Krystal gasped. “Oh no.”

 Victoria looked around the room. “What should we do?”

 “What do you mean what should we do? We must tend to her, before she faints for good!”

 Krystal easily picked her up and layed Na Eun over her shoulder.
 “I know we’ll get in trouble for this. But we must help, for our god’s sake.”

 Victoria nodded, agreeing with her. “Come on. We have to go.”

 She picked up the vase of water, and the two speeded out of the room and down the stairs. Out of the stair way, without closing the door, they rushed down the hall, passing shocked stander by’s.

 “Krystal, where are you taking her ?” Victoria asked between breaths.

 “To the baths.” Krystal answered. “She needs to be someplace to get her temperature just right, or else there will be no cure for her coldness.”

 “Got it.” Victoria said.
 They turned the corner of the hall, and headed straight toward two large doors. Victoria opened them to reveal the queen sized bathes.
 Pipes of water ran through the walls, ending to pour water into the bath. A tall staue of Venus stood just above it.

 Krystal gently set Na Eun down against the bath, and started to unbotten the cotton shirt. “Victoria, do me a favor.”

 “Yes, sister?’ Victoria said.

 “If anyone were to give the right medicine to Na Eun, it would have to be Ceres. Please send for her. And quickly.”

 Victoria nodded, and transported into a flurry of stars and out of the room.

 “Oh, princess Na Eun. You must stay awake. We can not risk a thing.” Unbottoning the last button, Krystal gently patted Na Eun on her cheek.

 Na Eun slowly opened her eyes.
 Krystal smiled. “Please, stay with me just for a little longer. We’ll have you better in no time.”

 Na Eun’s eyes dropped closed, open. She smiled. “Thank you.” she whispered.

 Krystal nodded. “Stay with me Na Eun. Stay with me.”

 Krystal hurried to remove the long white shirt. It was sweaty and covered in dirt and vomit. And it really smelled god awful. Krystal threw the shirt across the room, planning to burn it later.
 Just then in the corner of her eye, a flurry of stars appeared behind her. The doors closed on their own, and just after it Ceres and Victoria appeared in front of them.

 Ceres immediately ran to them. She put her hands against Na Eun’s forhead. She felt it was hot as fire.
 “What happened?” she asked.

 “We found her in the dungeon room like this.” Krystal said breathlessly, hurriedly sliding Na Eun out of the long skirt. “She vomited, she looked really pale and,”
 Krystal threw away the skirt, and looked at Ceres. “She may have been throwing up blood too. It started to spill from when we were talking.”

 “Oh god. . . I know what she needs.” Ceres reached for her pink strap and un hooked a large pouch. She reached in for a small vial with golden liquid.
 Ceres gently grabbed Na Eun’s chin and opened . “You must swallow, young Psyche.”

 Slowly she poured the liquid inside, some of it spilling from the side of .
 Whilst she did, Victoria and Krystal exchanged a curious look. They heard too of course. “Did she just call her Psyche?” Krystal mouthed. Victoria shrugged.

 Na Eun coughed as she swallowed the drink inside.
 Ceres went inside her pouch again and pulled out two pills. That’s when the showers started by themselves. Na Eun opened , and Ceres popped them inside. “Chew.” she ordered.

 Na Eun’s teeth crunched against the two pills.
 “Remove her trousers.” Ceres said, standing up.

 Krystal moved to Na Eun, and took off her night shirt and underwear. She helped Na Eun stand up.
 “Slowly, so you won’t get a headache.” Ceres said, examining from afar.

 Na Eun entered the bubble filled water. The warmth of the water felt very good against her chilling skin. As soon as she slowly cruched into the water, her cheeks flushed.
 Na Eun sighed in relaxation.

 “Better?” Ceres asked.

 Na Eun nodded. “Much. Thank you, Ceres.” Na Eun looked to Victoria and Krystal.
 “And thank you to you, before I could faint there in that cold dungeon.”

 Krystal and Victoria smiled.
 “Your very welcome.” They said. Krystal looked to Ceres. “We are very grateful you came to help. We’ll be going now.”

 Ceres held up her hand. “You will not be leaving. Your staying right here.”

 Krystal and Victoria gave her questioning look.
 “I feel you have become great companions with Na Eun. I suggest you all stay close as often as you can.”

 Even the great Ceres can see it. Krystal and Victoria stayed put, giving Na Eun a sympathetic look.

 Ceres sat down on the egde of the bath. She crossed her arms. “Is it true from what I hear? That you had to sleep in the dungeons?”

 Na Eun nodded. “Yes.”

 Ceres sighed. She shook her head in blunder. “That woman. She’s mad, as a hatter. Completely loony.”

 Na Eun laughed at her words. They were true, but the way she said them was hilarious.
 She shrugged. “She said she was going to put me through trial, make judgement of my housewifery. After all this is done, then she will take me to Taemin. And he’ll know everything.” Na Eun slouched. The way Venus was acting towards her, she didn’t know if Venus will refuse her, or she’ll just die from one of these trials.

 Ceres huffed. “She had better keep her promise. Or I will do something to get her act straight. Including sending Jupiter upon her. No matter what it takes.”

 Na Eun turned to her. “Maybe you could put a stop to this. Please, I beg you Sooyoung.” Na Eun took hold of her hands. “Send for Jupiter. Make Venus stop this nonsense.”

 Sooyoung squeazed her hand. “Oh, my Na Eun. I wish I could call for him, but he’s been away for some time now and I can’t get into contact with him at the moment. I am very sorry. Without his sense, there is no way of getting through to Venus.  She’s how you humans say. . . completely insane!”

 Na Eun chuckled. “I can’t disagree any more. But I must do this. I must succeed in seeing Taemin. Or else-”

 The doors opened with a bang. Venus in the outfit she was in at the temple. The sparkling blue suit, and large stiletto heels, bedazzled with diamonds. Even the musketeer sword strapped to her waist.
 She was standing there, her silloette showing in all her glory.

 Na Eun sunk deep into the water, her nose and eyes showing above the egde of the bath.

 Yoona walked in, hands on her hips, glaring at Ceres. Her head shot to Victoria and Krystal, and they flinched. “You two. Out.”
 Victoria and Krystal glanced back at Na Eun as they walked out, and grabbed the thrown over clothes with them.

 “You,” Yoona pointed to Sooyoung. “What are you doing here?”

 Sooyoung stood. “Our lovely Psyche had gotten sick. Sadness came to get me, and it looks like I came just in time.”

 Yoona scowled. “Well. It was nice having you here, but I’m afraid it’s time for you to leave.”

 Sooyoung stood, and walked over to Yoona. She whispered, “If you do anything to put her in harms way, I will not hesitate to bring you down.” and she left, shoving Yoona’s shoulder as she past. Yoona shot flaming daggers at the back of Sooyoung’s neck.
 She felt the anger flame up in her. Now she was determined to torture Na Eun the best way possible. And to make sure Sooyoung doesn’t find out this time.

 Yoona walked up to the bath, towards Na Eun.

 “I had a task for you to do, but plans have changed. I want you to do something else for me.”

                                                                                           * * * *

 The clothes Na Eun wore now was a long brown cloth that reached to her knees. It was scatched in some places, and was completely sleevless. It was the kind of clothes you would give to low-class peasants.

 The two, Yoona and Na Eun, walked along the forest. Green plants, colorful flowers, laid all around them. There was the occasional cicadas humming from a far, and butterflies flying all around. Not getting any closer to them.
 “We’re here.” Yoona said.

 They crossed the forest threshold, and came upon a long running river, complet with a waterfall. Across the river, five sheep ate from each of their fleeces. Two of them had long beards that reached to the ground, so you could tell how old they were.

 Yoona gestured to them. She said to her, "Behold yonder grove which stretches along the margin of the water. There you will find five violent sheep feeding without a shepherd, with golden-shining fleeces to which they eat. Go, fetch me a sample of that precious wool gathered from every one of their fleeces."

 Violent sheep? They didn’t look so violent from where she stood. “How do I get across?” she asked.

 Yoona shrugged. “I’m guessing you’ll have to swim, princess.”

 Na Eun looked at the rushing waters. They were moving quite fast. And the mist from the water fall was a little thick. She could just barely see the sheep.
 Just as Na Eun was about to ask how again, she noticed Yoona was gone. A flurry of stars was leading into the forest. Great.

 Na Eun turned back to the river. It’s rushing waters scarred her already.
 Na Eun dipped a toe in the water and shriveled back. It was cold. Ice cold. If she entered that water, she will surely not come out of it alive.

 But. . . it has to be worth it if it means getting to Taemin. It just has to be.

 Na Eun took three deep breaths. It’s okay. You’ll be fine. Even as she thought that, Na Eun had her doubts. But Na Eun still did it. She jumped right into the water. She felt herself shiver roughly. The water was really cold. The warm water this morning made her flush, while this water made her skin whiter then usual. Na Eun started swimming forward. But she noticed, as she was trying to swim forward the water was pushing her sideways. And right below her, there were koi fish starting to pick at her feet. Na Eun tried to kick it off, but then one started to bite at her toes. Na Eun yelped. She swam up to the surface, gasping for air. Na Eun yelped as another koi fish bit her big toe. She kicked it away.
 Taking another deep breath, she dipped herself back into the water.

 Looking down to her feet, she noticed puffs of red appearing under her feet. Great. More injuries. What else could go wrong?

 Na Eun started swimming again, but it was so slow. The water kept pushing her and pushing her.

 But Na Eun kept going, not stopping for a breath. Koi fish started nipping again. They all started to get bothered by her. One in particular bit her hard on the arm, releasing blood in puffs. Another bite on her thigh. Her shoulder. Her foot, again.

 Na Eun tried to push them away, but they kept coming. Na Eun rushed to the surface. Taking deep breaths. Before the river could take her, she took hold of a nearby rock. The mist was starting to get clearer. She was only half way there. And she already had injuries.
 The koi fish brushed past her legs, making her flinch.

 She felt faint. Again.
 Not now!

 Na Eun coughed. And coughed. Na Eun tried to calm herself down. She layed her head on the rock. She hasn’t been swimming for that long and she was already exaughested. Ecpecially in the condition she was in.

 Just then, a harmonious sound came from across the river. The sound of coming from those reeds. Na Eun looked at them questioningly.
 The trees shuffled. The sheep payed no mind and continued eating, some lying down taking naps.

 An old wan in a hitchhiker outfit appeared. He glanced at the little sheep, then noticed Na Eun.
 “Oh my.” his voice was soft.

 Na Eun coughed again. “Who are you?” she called.

 The man cocked his head. "Oh maiden, severely tried, tempt not the dangerous flood, never again nor venture among the formidable rams on the other side, for as long as they are under the influence of the rising sun, they burn with a cruel rage to destroy mortals with their sharp horns or rude teeth. But when the noontide sun has driven the cattle to the shade, and the serene spirit of the flood has lulled them to rest, you may then cross in safety, and you will find the woolly gold sticking to the bushes and the trunks of the trees."

 Na Eun shook her head at his words. “I’m sorry I crossed so soon, but I can not wait that long. Venus has put me up to a task and I shall not disobye. Can you tell me how to cross faster, or to put those vengeful sheep to rest some how?”

 The man nodded. “Of course I may.” he said. Thank goodness, Na Eun thought. He took compassion on me.
 The man gestured to the water. “The secret is the koi fish. These sheep are obsessive for them. You must grab at least three. And then the sheep will let you pass. And then they will give you an easier way to cross back in return.”

 “And this will work?” Na Eun asked.

 The hitchhiker nodded, giving her a smile. Na Eun sighed. She hated these koi fish, thinking she’s the dinner.

 Na Eun slowly let go of the rock, took a long deep breath, and went under water.

 The koi started surrounding her again. Good. Na Eun reached out to one, but it slipped from her grasp. The koi fish did a U turn and headed for her neck. Bit right then and there. Na Eun yelped, but she did not choose to go back to surface. She forcefully ripped the thing from her neck and gripped it tightly as it started to flail. One down. There was another fish riding up her leg. Na Eun reach down, and grabbed it’s fin.The fish tried desperately to swim from her grasp, but Na Eun only held tighter. That’s two.
 Something pushed against her back. Na Eun turned. Another koi fish tried to bite through her cloth and to her stomach. Na Eun was fast to grab it and held it close to her chest. That’s when a school of koi fish swam swiftly to her. Na Eun lifted her arms to cover herself, when she felt something grip to the back of her cloth. The was pulled out of the surrounding school, and was suddenly on land. Na Eun coughed out a mouthful of water. The fish were flopping about beside her.
 She looked up. The hitchhiker starred down at her, smiling. “I’m surprised. You only have a few bites compared to other people who have come across these fish. Your lucky.”

 “Who are you?” Na Eun asked.

 “I am but a simple river god. A friend of the Sun. And one that knows you, young Na Eun. Psyche.”

 Na Eun slowly sat up. She looked up at him. “Why does everyone keep calling me that?”

 The river god shrugged. “I guess it’s some kind of goddesses name. You are a goddess, correct?”

 Na Eun shrugged. “It seems that way.”

 “Well, duh.” The river god joked, gesturing to her hand. The ring Taemin gave her. The one she didn’t dare take off until Taemin orders her away.

 Na Eun picked up the fish. “Thank you, sir. I respect your kindness.”

 The river god smiled, and went back into the forest on his way.
 How lucky she was for him to run into her. Na Eun stood, holding the almost still koi fish against her chest.
 As she walked forward, the sheep stopped eating to stare at her. Her clothes sticking to her, dripping wet, not only with water but blood driving out of her wounds and on to the green grass. Well, used to be green.

 The sheep strode away from their fleeces and growled at her.
 Na Eun flinched. She slowly held out the fish, and the sheep stopped growling.

 Na Eun threw down the fish, and stepped back. The sheep exchanged looks, as if exchanging thoughts. They all walked to the fish, now not paying Na Eun any mind. She had her chance to scurry pass the sheep and to the fleeces. She took about a quarter of her each fleece, combining them made one huge fleece that she could barely keep under her arm. Na Eun spotted a ribbon, right on top of one of the fleeces. A gold ribbon. Na Eun gathered the fleece together and tied it all together in the ribbon.
 As she got everything ready, she noticed the sheep stopped eating and was starring at her again. Where the fish laid were now mearly fish bones.

 Na Eun looked at the sheep. She blinked. “Is something suppose to happen?” she muttered.

 One of the sheep, one very old and had a long growing beard, walked out of it’s line and toward the river. He tapped it’s hoof upon the water, and it started to morph into ice. And ice lane for her to walk on. The bearded sheep backed away, and bowed to Na Eun.
 Na Eun bowed back. “Thank you.” she said.

 And then the sheep went back to eating their fleeces.
 Na Eun stepped upon the ice. It was cold, and she was starting to shiver.
 As she crossed the ice, the koi fish popped back and forth above it. Just as Na Eun thought them magestic and beautiful, one popped up and bit her on the foot. The little devil’s. Na Eun hurried her steps. Once she got to the other side of the rive, the ice land disappeared.

 Na Eun shivered as a blowing wind hit her, and she dropped the golden fleece. She hugged herself, trying to get warm, but with wearing this soggy cloth it was no use. She’ll just have to keep walking until she get’s to the castle. Hopefully Krystal and  Victoria will be with her for the afternoon.

                                                                                          * * * *

 “What is with you too? Talking to her like she’s some friend of ours. What do you have to say for yourselves?”

 Yoona paced back and forth in front of Krystal and Victoria in the middle of the hall. She had been upset of their and Na Eun’s sudden clossness.

 Krystal tentivally answered. “She was. . . kind to us.”

 Yoona shot her head to her, and Krystal flinched. “Kind?” Yoona questioned. She walked forward, getting into Krystal’s face.  “Your but basing it on kindness? Nonsense! She is nothing kind to us.”

 “Us?” Victoria asked.

 Yoona put her hands on her hips, now looking at Victoria gravely. “Yes, us. You, me, and everyone in this house. I should have chosen someone else to take care of her. You two are too easy to be bewitched with words.”

 “We can not just be friends?” Krystal asked, feeling hopeless the question will get to Venus. She feared it will just make her angrier.

 Yoona scoffed. “Friends? Do not worry, children. The girl won’t be seeing the light of day any time soon, anymore. Forget about her.”

 Just as Krystal was about to retaliate, she looked past Yoona and gasped. Victoria followed.
 Yoona furrowed her brow at their expressions, and turned around. She widened her eyes.

 Na Eun stood there, dripping wet and soaking from head to toe. She was shivering, blood dripping down her neck, arms, and legs. She was holding the fleece under her arm, and she she starred at Yoona very angrily.
 Oh yes, she had heard everything she said. She was trying to get rid of her. So she could have back her fame and beauty. More or less, she was some kind of murderer.

 Yoona gasped. “How could. . . how did you. . .” She walked toward Na Eun, looking as if she was a ghost back from the dead.

 Na Eun sniffed, shivering violently. She stuttered, “I-I have y-your fleece.” Na Eun threw down the golden fleece at Yoona’s feet.
 “If y-y-you even n-need i-it.” Na Eun said, before collapsing to the floor. Victoria and Krystal quickly rushed to her. The both wrapped their arms around her, giving her their warmth and all. Na Eun looked up to Yoona. She noticed her lips were turning blue. “You thought I-I wasn’t going to come back. But y-you were w-wrong.”

 Yoona glared at her. She thought out the plan so easily, and yet this princess still got by. Getting help from others when she is supposed to do it herself.

 Yoona angrily kicked the fleece away. "I know very well it is by none of your own doings that you have succeeded in this task, and I am not satisfied yet that you have any capacity to make yourself useful.”

 “I followed the river god’s orders.” Na Eun said. “He only gave instructions, I’m the one that did all the work. Just to make you satisfied. So I could. . . get back the love of my life. But that’s never going to happen is it?” Na Eun started to cry. She didn’t want to, not in front of Venus, but she couldn’t help it. “All you want is me and my baby dead!”

 Krystal and Victoria flinched. They had never known the princess to yell. Na Eun was scary when she is angry.
 The two helped her up. Krystal turned Na Eun around, so she wouldn’t have to look at Yoona again. The two walked her off.

 Yoona starred on, angry and confused.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Man, can you believe it?! Yoona is actually planning to KILL Naeun. is CRAZZZY!!



 I certainly can't believe it. I mean, I wrote this and I'm still surprised :D

 


 Can you feel the suspence and darkness rolling in.


 My my, this is going to be Delicious!



 See You Soon~!