Task 3: Don't Hurt Her

The Mortal and the God

 Na Eun was given a new change of clothes. A long white cloth underwear with the sleeves and the hem slightly ripped. Kystal and Victoria wrapped her up in all the available blankets they could find. Even providing a make-shift bed, complete with five sheets and three pillows. Krystal had finally gotten her medicine, along with a another vile that was given to her by Ceres. This one was filled with red liquid, almost resembling ambrosia. That’s what Krystal that it was, but when she took a sniff, it didn’t smell quite right.
 Na Eun gulped it right down. Almost immediately her lips turned back to their usual color, and her cheeks had gotten a little red. What was in that medicine?

 Na Eun on the other hand, was still quite angry about Venus. That woman was planning on killing her, rather she do it herself or not. That psycho woman would probably skip merrily upon her grave, that unless she could survive the next ‘challenge’.
 Na Eun still shivered a bit as she hugged herself close to the blankets. Victoria blew the steam away from the next spoon of soup, and Na Eun carefully sipped it.
 She sniffed, “Thank you so much for taking care of me. I owe you guys so much, for everything.”

 “We don’t want anything. We just want you and your baby safe and healthy.” Krystal said, smoothning the sheets of the make-shift bed.

 Na Eun thought about her baby a lot ever since she came to this place. Ever since she was informed from being under this mystery disease. It has probably reached her baby by now. Slowly cursing through it’s veins, as they are slowly being made and growing larger at the same time. She wanted to tell Krystal and Victoria, everything. But then, that would mean it would get to Taemin. She wanted him to hear from her. And if this disease can be cured, she didn’t want him to know at all.
 Victoria casted a curious glance at Na Eun before lifting another spoon of soup for her.
 “You have been thinking a lot this past two hours, princess. Tell us what is on your mind.” Victoria gently laid the spoon down.

 Na Eun pursed her lips. “You know I don’t feel like talking about it.” She looked away.

 “But if you don’t, it’s possible more anger could bottle up. I think it’s best to let it out before you yell at Venus’s face again.” Krystal smiled.

 Na Eun sighed. That was true, being silent doesn’t make anything better if she’s this angry.
 “I truly want to leave. I know that if I would run, Venus wouldn’t come following me. I know because I trust Ceres to stop her. But, I don’t want to go alone. Not without my husband and his knowledge of our child. I can only hope I can get through this without being, you know. . . killed.”

 Krystal nodded, understanding. “Yes, we get it. We have also been thinking. . . our queen have taken this slightly to far. Even saying we shouldn’t be friends. . . .”

 Victoria shrugged. “But we’re not going to let that stop us. We’re not only your friends, we’re your nurses. As said by Ceres herself. It’s not like we’re going to leave suddenly after all.” she smiled.
 Na Eun nodded. “Thank goodness. I think it would be like I lost another part of me if good friends left too.”
 Victoria and Krystal exchanged a glance, knowing what she meant by ‘another’.

 Krystal looked at Na Eun. “I think it’s about time you go to sleep. You need rest after all that nonsense.”
 Na Eun smiled. She slowly laid back on the white sheets. Her eyes relaxed, and her breathing quickly became hollow.
 Krystal motioned for them to get out of the room. They quietly walked out through the door, and Krystal tried closing the metal door as quiet as she could. She locked the door behind her.

 Victoria sighed. “You know she wasn’t done with the soup.”

 “Well, I think it’s just best to let her be. Let her take some rest, and set her mind at ease.”
 Victoria rolled her eyes, and sighed as she squeezed the bowl of soup. The bowl dispersed into a thousand tiny stars as they flaked on to the floor.
 The two sisters took their leave down the spirling steps, walking in silence until Krystal broke it. “Vic, what do you think of that stuff we had to give her?”

 “Give who what?” Victoria asked, not looking back and still walking ahead.

 “That weird medicine, to give to Na Eun. It looked like it cured her, but it didn’t smell right.”

 “Well what did it smell like?” Victoria raised a brow.

 “I don’t know. Something along the lines of mixed honey, iron, and. . . burbon.” Krystal cringed her nose. It was rather distasteful, the smell. And yet it just looked like the sweet ambrosia that all the gods drink. So strange.
 “If you got a wiff of it, you would probably know what it was.”

 “Why do you think so?”

 Krystal shrugged. “Because you’re the sister with the powers. Your ‘all-knowing’.”
 It is true. Krystal thinks it was ever since Victoria was born, that she had this sort of ‘starry’ power. Able to conjure them just from her finger tips, and something amazing what happen. It was actually a while ago that she discovered she could teleport with the help of the stars. Not only that, but Victoria could predict and see predicaments around the people she knew. Although that was the case, Victoria never told of them to her. She didn’t know why though. She guessed it was part of their ’Worry and Sadness’ thing in the kingdom. Krystal wished she could have amazing powers like her sister, but she was stuck with another power: Multilingualism. More or less, she could undertsand any language. But to her, it had no value, no motives to her. Victoria could do almost anything. Krystal. . . can talk just the same, just with a different tongue.

 “Actually Krystal, I have been seeing something strange. Inside Na Eun.” Victoria said as the closed the steel door behind them, and walked down the hall of the magical doors.

 Krystal smiled, and rolled her eyes. “It’s called a fetus, Victoria. Don’t be all mysterious about it.”

 “No Krystal. Come here.” Victoria slung her arm through Krystal’s tightly. “Keep your voice down.”
 They were entering the halls where the other maids walked around. When they talked together, it was best to make sure no one heard. The mostly talk about personal stuff, and this was personal.

 “You know how even mortal’s have aura’s?” Victoria whispered.

 “Of course.” Krystal answered. “Every human has a blue or yellow aura, so the god’s say. I can’t see human aura’s.”

 “But I can.” Victoria said, catiously glancing at two maids walking by. “Na Eun’s lovely aura is supposed to be yellow, because of how pure hearted she is. But. . . it’s strangely contaminated.” She chose the word carefully, thinking Krystal would catch what she meant. But she only threw a curious look at Victoria.

 “How could it be contaminated? That’s nothing like Na Eun. Maybe the babies aura is in the way.”

 “Do baby’s have red aura’s? Because I haven’t seen one like that.” Victoria shot, raising her voice slightly.
 Krystal furrowed her brows.

 Victoria sighed. “There wasn’t any sign of it the first day, but now there’s this red outline just inside the yellow aura. It so strange, and I rarely see it on people but, based on what I remember. . . there may be something else lurking inside her. Like a new stran of blood, or some kind of disease. Maybe it has something to do with that medicine you mentioned.”

 Krystal shook her head. “I don’t believe you.”

 Victoria sighed. “I now how attached you feel to Na Eun so quickly, since she is our friend. But don’t pretend you don’t know also. Coughing up blood, vomiting, turning pale and cold. These are not pregnancy symptoms, they are signs.”

 “Signs of what, Victoria?” Krystal said, glancing back at a couple of guard that stood by. They had to really keep their voices around the men. The big soldiers would say anything when they get drunk. Their rumors spread to the maids, then to the masters of the house. The only way to keep them quiet is money, but sometimes that’s just not enough.
 “Signs of her body slowling, becoming weak, getting sicker as she goes. I fear there may be more then just a simple illness.”

 Krystal gasped. They walked closer to the wall when they turned, hiding and whispering in the shadows as not many maids or guards walk by here.
 “Are you sure, sister?” Krystal asked.

 Victoria nodded. Her eyes were slightly glossed over. “Unfortunatly. But I’m sure it can be cured. Whatever Ceres gave her worked. It can do the trick.”

 “Ceres may not be home. She has more harvesting to do this evening. We have to tell someone though, about her condition.” Krystal said.

 “We can not tell Venus. There is no one else to tell of this.” Victoria raised her voice. That’s when Krystal heard footsteps from behind them. She lunged at Victoria and covered . Then they moved from the face of the wall to behind it, where no one could see them.
 A small little blonde haired girl and a soldier were walking together, talking.

 “The woman is going to see that princess dead. Just wait. It’s going to be a fiasco.” the man with a gruffy voice said, Krystal hearing the smile in his voice.

 The girl said, “How long do you think it’ll all last?”

 “I give her another day.”

 The girl scoffed. “Haven’t you’ve seen the help she keeps getting? I think she’ll last until the very end. I am confident princess Na Eun would see her love again. Love breaks all boundaries.”

 “Hm.” The man scoffed like her. “I bet fifty coin she wouldn’t last another day if Venus gives her another challenge. Speaking of which, when is the next one?”

 “. . . . I believe in a few minutes or so.”

 “How do you know?” The man asked.

 “The maids are saying that Venus has been gathering people in the ball room for about fifteen minutes. Maybe that’s when it’s taking place.”

 “What?” The man asked. “Why in the ballroom?”

 “How should I know? But whatever she has in store it can’t be good.”

 The man snickered darkly. “I’m definatly going to earn my share of coin.”

 Krystal turned to look at the girl and man, who turned and entered into a brightly room.
 She let go of Victoria.

 “In a few minutes?” Victoria said. “But we just put Na Eun to sleep. She can’t wake up now.”

 Krystal shook her head. “I know. That’s why I’ll have to speak to someone. Right now.”

 Krystal started to walk away from her. Victoria called, “Who are you possibly going to talk to right now?”

 “To another person who I know will make Venus listen to him.” and then scurried off to the stairs. Victoria knew who she was talking about, and had to other motive then to let Krystal take the word to Cupid. It was about time he knew why she was here anyways. He probably didn’t know yet.

 “Hey, Sadness.”
 Victoria turned to see one of the guards walking up to her.

 “Venus needs you and your sister in the ballroom.” He furrowed his brows, looking at the empty space beside her. He had never seen the two apart, which was quite strange in his book. “Speaking of which. . . where is Worry?”

 “I haven’t seen her in a while now, but I’m sure the message will get to her sooner or later.” Victoria said, giving a little smile.
 Now the guard looked really befuddled. He had never heard her talk, let alone smile before. Victoria liked his reaction. It was quite funny. In fact, she made her smile bigger and flittered her fingers for goodbye. She past by the still frozen guard, and tried to hold a giggle on the way. That can be something those guards can talk about.

                                                * * * *

 Krystal hesitantly stepped in front of the large door, with it’s symbolic carvings and intricate figures. She moved away the untouched food with her foot. As nervous as shewas, she had to let Cupid know about all of this. Maybe he could stop this, just as well as Jupiter or Mercury. After all, Na Eun was, is, his wife.
 Krystal lifted her hand, and knocked three times. She waited for a moment, anticipating his response. But she was only met with silence. Of course he wouldn’t answer so soon. She should have known that before.

 Krystal lifted her hand again, but before she could knock she heard a gruffy voice answer, “Go away.”

 Krystal shivered at the voice. How cranky he sounded.
 Krystal leaned to whisper. “Please, sir. We are in need of deep discussion. It is urgent and it can’t wait anymore.” If she really had a few minutes until Na Eun is sent to Venus again, they need to do this quickly.

 “Leave.” Cupid demanded. He sounded closer to the door.

 Krystal sighed. “Please. This has to do with Na Eun. It’s an emergency, you must let me talk to you.”
 There was a long moment of stiffling silence from inside the room. This could be a sign that he didn’t believe her. But her just had to, and quick. Krystal was just about to lose that last quarter of patience she had for the day.

 Cupid now sounded closer to the door, because he started to whisper, “Your just some servant trying to get their kicks by messing with me, aren’t you? Why would I ever belive a little peasant girl like you?”

 And instantly that quarter of patience in Krystal was gone. She scoffed. “Because, I just don’t know about Na Eun. . .” With some strength, Krystal turned the locked doornob easily and entered the room. She looked Taemin in the eyes. “I happen to be a good friend of hers.”
 She looked at the man in front of her. He was still as pale as ever. His bandage was becoming yellow and the blood was browning. He was shirtless, so his wings were shining along the walls of the room. Cupid’s white aura was shining brightly now, even though it is usualy so dim.
 He looked at Krystal in the eye back. “If you know so much as you say, why have you not come to me before?”

 Krystal quietly closed the door. “It is because I did not want to start quick suspicion.” She looked up at him. “Now, Cupid, you must know now. Na Eun is here, in the house at this very moment.”

 Taemin starred at her for a moment, and his hands clenched to fists. “Really?”

 Krystal nodded. “Yes. Since yesterday when she came by with Ceres. Na Eun has been sleeping in the dungeons ever since.”

 Taemin widened his eyes. “The dungeons. . . what? Why would Na Eun be in the dungeons? She has done nothing to be toturted.” he yelled. Taemin gritted his teeth. To think he is Venus’s son, she didn’t want to see his wrath, probably five times his mother’s anger.

 “Do not get the wrong idea.” Krystal said. “She has only been sleeping there, no torture. But, the reason why she came here was for you. She personally asked Venus for the permission.”

 “And the answer?”

 Krystal was hesitant to answer, but she did. “Venus. . . hit her. Tore her clothes, banged her head against the ground. She is still red with fury at Na Eun for taking her lable as Venus upon the mortals. She says it’s her fault Venus is no longer recognized.”

 “That is not something my mother would do.” Taemin said, crossing his arms and looking down at Krystal gravely.

 “I’m sorry but, that is the case here. She has granted permission for Na Eun to see you, but only if she completes the task she has put her in. She has already separated a large heap, but was only given a sliver of bread. She had just gotten back from diving into the cold river fall to fetch Venus some fleece. Which is another thing: if this keeps going on, Na Eun’s little illness will become worse. She has already thrown up blood, and has yet to cease this excessive coughing. You are her only hope to save her from disease. . . Or worse.”
 Taemin looked away for a moment. He face read he could not believe it at all. Not after he had left her, and he still did not know of her baby. But she was willing to keep that word with Na Eun. She was right. He should hear it from her.

 “That’s why I saw her, out of my window separating that heap.” Taemin mumbled. He momentarily looked out of his window, and then looked back at Krystal determingly. He raised his brow. “Where exactly is my mother right now?”

                                               * * * *

 A servant, not Victoria, nor Krystal, went and fetched Na Eun from the dungouns.
 She was still tired from being woken up, just to face another life threatening task. She looked over at the open windows. It was dusk, the sky pink as a flower. Nature was calling out to her, but so far this castle has been an unofficial prison.
 She wondered where this person was leading her to, and what possible doom was awaiting her. Venus could become creative. The task could involve climbing a large cliff with dragons slithering in and out of the rocks. Or even had her walk across a lane of flaming rocks. She knows Venus would make her too, if she refused. How nervewrecking this was making her.

 Her and the servant stopped at the end of the hall, in front of two large gold-wodden doors. The servant opened the doors for her and motioned for her to enter. Na Eun did. She took note of the large and decorated room. Nine chandeliers lined the ceiling above. Golden floral wallpaper lined the walls, making it look brighter. The floors were shiny. Right there in the room, were other people staring at her. At least ten guards stood around a table across the room. Na Eun cought the slightest glimps of a burbon bottle. Fifteen other maids were right beside them, stopping their conversations to look up. Victoria stood around the corner, looking at the other people as she folded her hands in front of her. In the center of the front wall, where mirrors were lined up, Venus sat upon a silver throne. She smirked. “Ah. Our performer has finally arrived!”

 Na Eun blinked. “. . . Performer?”

 “Yes!” Venus yelled. She rose from her throne. She was still wearing the sparkling blue suited outfit, but the muskateer sword was no where to be seen. Venus strode over to Na Eun.
 “You really got me thinking, princess. Ever since our little quarle when you got back from fetching my fleece. After that I realized, I am being just a tiny bit hard on you.”
 Na Eun could think up a thousand words that were an antonym for the word ‘tiny’.

 “Oh?” Na Eun asked.

 “Yes, princess.” Venus hissed, smirking while curling her lip into a sneer. “I have decided on another task, something that’s much more simple for your kind.”
 She gestured to everyone in the room. “Behold, your captivated audience. Your job is to entertain the special crowd.” Venus pointed to the men, smirking and whispering to each other. One even waved at Na Eun with what was she sure was a burbon bottle. “They are going to ask you do things. Suggest what you can do different in your dancing.”

 “Dancing?” Na Eun asked, glacing at the audience. Victoria was still not looking at her.

 “Oh yes. I have heard of your wonderful talent of dancing. My guard, they are nice and drunk and need a little. . . splice. So you are going to entertain. They are going to ask you to dance, and you keep dancing until they ask you to stop. Or until they ask you do something else.” Venus wiggled her eyebrows.
 Na Eun looked back at the drunk men. They spoke in slures and looked at their ‘performer’ in lust. Na Eun noticed her sleeve hanging off of her shoulder, and the hem of the white cloth was slightly ripped at the side, showing a part of her thigh. She wanted her to dance in this? With manipulation of her dance moves, it’ll just make the dress rip even more. . . . and those dirty soldiers were probably going to man handle her. her, even. Right in front of Venus.
 She was looking for something to laugh at, rather then sending of Na Eun for death to take her there.

 Na Eun shook her head. “No. . . I can’t. . .”

 “You can and you will.” Venus hissed. She walked in front of Na Eun, she leaned in and whisperes, “And how unfortunate it’ll be if your other half has found you have been soiled by someone, on your own ill-will.”
 So another kind of toture, that could hurt her inside and out: blackmail. Telling Taemin she had fooled around with other men will make him more angrier at her then he already was. She didn’t want do this. This may actually give her punishment, but she will risk it if that means she wouldn’t have to sleep with those drunk neanderthals. But, just as Na Eun was about to refuse, the ball room doors opened with a crackle like thunder, and a voice sounded, “Mother!”

 Na Eun turned. She couldn’t even believe it. It was like it was a dream, even the condition her husband was in. Nothing on his torso but his old and stained bandage. And his wings out in full glory, glowing and making the room brighter. The light could have blinded everyone in the room, but Na Eun starred on unblinking. Mostly because, Taemin was starring right back at her. His eyes showed of mixed feelings: anger, disbelief, grief, but noticeably love. Na Eun started to walk forward, but she was held back by Venus. Her hand clutched her arm tightly.
 Na Eun gritted her teeth. “Let me go.”

 “No.” Venus shot back. “You stay right here. I’m getting this sorted.” Venus waved a finger toward Victoria, and she came scurrying to them. As Venus let go of Na Eun, Victoria held her back again back by clutching both of her arms. “It’s best to not look. You wouldn’t want to be lost in love right now.” Victoria whispered. Na Eun considered this for a moment. How could she not look? She hasn’t seen Taemin since he left her that day. This is why she was here. To see him, to hug him, to show she was there for him. But by the way Victoria was looking at her, it was not the time yet. So she had to wait. Again. Na Eun closed her eyes and tucked her head in Victoria’s shoulder before the doors closed and the bright light disappeared. The men and woman in the room groaned and complained of the light blinding their eyes.
 A tear fell from Na Eun’s eye. “We were so close, Victoria. . . . we were just that close. I wish I could have touched him.”

 Victoria caressed the top of her head. “I know Na Eun. But you can’t, not in front of Venus. And after this, she may just lock Taemin in his room for good.”
 Na Eun hated how blunt she was being right now. That part of Victoria she’s barely gotten used to yet.

 As Na Eun opened to speak, she looked up and realized Krystal was just behind them. Suddenly, she started to cough. Her stomach surged, twisted, turned. Cough, heave, cough, heave. Krystal and Victoria held on to her arms. Na Eun didn’t faint, but she still fell against the sisters, and started to bawl in their shoulders.

 Outside of the door, Yoona looked crossingly at her son and narrowed her eyes.
 “What are you doing out of your room? You should be resting.”

 “Oh, I’m sorry. Was I disturbing some kind of torture session?” Taemin shot back. He crossed his arms, his wings still glowing but now dimed a little bit.

 Yoona scoffed. “Do not worry, my young son. Go back to bed. I shall be there in a moment to change your gauze.” Yoona turned back towards the door, but Taemin grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back around.
 “I want to speak to my wife.”

 Yoona brushed his hand off of her. “You can’t.”

 Taemin took a step forward. “Why not?”

 “Because, I am the judge here. I’m the one that gets to see if she can see you again. After all, you owe me this. You eloped without even letting one god or goddess know. I’m still mad about that.”

 “If your so mad, take it out on me. Not Na Eun. She’s not to fault here. It wasn’t her fault that your fame and ‘recondition’ is going underground.”

 Yoona pointed behind him. “Leave, Taemin.”

 “Mortals fall for this stuff to easily. You can’t expect them to follow every rule, and you definatly can not expect everything to go your way.”

 “Leave!” Yoona yelled. “I don’t want to listen to your ridiculous scwabble anymore. You’ve done your part. You saw her. She’s fine. Now leave.”
 Yoona turned to leave, Taemin reach out to her again. “Mother, don’t you dare hurt her.” Yoona quickly turned around again and shouted, “LEAVE!” and slammed the door in front of his face.

 Taemin grunted. He paused a moment as he could hear the faint sound of weeping from inside the room.
 This was impossible. If it wasn’t for his mother getting inbetween them, he could be comforting her right now. He could heal her, her broken heart, bruises, illness and all. But not now. When the time came, he’ll have his chance.

 Taemin his heels and strode away from the doors.