He Wants Us Not

The Mortal and the God

 Na Eun ran from the running creek and continued running straight in the grassy fields. She looked around and was surprised when she realized that this was the large and mass meadow from one of her dreams. The dream that she had woken up from a mysterious sound from her room. The sunlight rays shot through the skies and down upon the green earth. She even passed a small pond with loudly quacking ducks and a rather silent mother.
 Then she stopped as she reached an edge that now had flowers growing from here and beyond. Flowers of all different colors and design, some even large and exotic, even taller then her. Na Eun squinted and could see the flat roofs of the town near by. Only a feet away. Steps closer to her sisters, and steps farther from Taemin.

 He was gone. He had literally flown from her life, with his snowy whit wings escaping with a flurry.
 At the thought of him Na Eun started to cry again. She felt herself buckle from her knees and she started to sweat and heave. What is happing now? She hasn’t felt very sick like this since a week ago, when during lunch she had lost complete energy before she could up from the table. She vomited then and there all over the crepes and cookies.
 Now it’s happening again, but it felt much worse. Her stomach twisted into a horrible knot, like the baby inside was moving and started to manually stretch her stomach for space. Sweat immediately started to drip from her forehead and down her chin. She fell to her knees and started to cough, heave, cough, heave, heave. And then, what was left in her stomach earlier had spilled from and all over a bundle of tulips and baby’s breath. A string of saliva was left dangling from , dripping in small sticky drops. Ugh, disgusting, she thought.
She slipped a small cloth from her brassiere and wiped the string away. Putting the cloth away and shakily standing up, she tried walking again. But stumbled, once again. She had to get home quickly, before she passed out.
 Na Eun gathered her energy and stood up, bending her knees. Taking three slow breaths, she moved her legs. Energy was gathering again, and she took her steps quicker. Determined to get herself some rest. Taking another breath, she started to run. Wanting to see the town closer up, seeing her sisters, seeking there indulgence. And once she gets what she needs, she’ll seek out her husband and where he should reign.

 With in a few moments, she was among the black streets of the town and smiled. But then the smile turned into the frown as a thought entered her mind: she hasn’t visited her sisters in a while, and the town was quite big. Where did they live?
 “Oh god,” she muttered.

 Surely someone has to know of them. Everyone should.
 Na Eun walked tentively, trying to find someone who could help her. But everyone seemed to be busy doing there own thing. Which she found quite different from her kingdom. At her kingdom, everywhere you went the people were working on their own affairs. Talking about business and work, and the kids were only sitting around waiting for their mothers and fathers to come and play with them, or cook for them. It was often gray and sometimes boring, until she comes into sight and it’s like an angel appeared to them. Here it was so much different. The sunlight was never ending, and there was absolutely no shadows.
 As she walked, a ball shot near her face and landed by her feet. She picked up the red plastic ball and looked up to the top of the roofs, putting a hand against a forehead to avoid the sun. A young boy was hanging over the edge and his mouth was open as if he was going to say something, but stopped as he caught sight of her beauty. She lifted the ball up. “Is this yours?” she asked. The boy hesitantly nodded. Na Eun pursed her lips as she threw the ball up to him and he roughly catched it.

 Na Eun walked on, and looked from left to right of her surroundings. It was so interesting. It’s been three months since she’s seen civilization and this was starting to make her mood go up a little. Three men talked and laughed over one of them men making jokes, and raised their drinks in congratulations. A juggling man entertained from a ground stage, the kids oohing and ahhing at the colorful man. Then, there was an old woman holding necklaces and bracelets, and bottles, rings, and ribbons among her shiny clothed table. The woman spotted Na Eun and gave her a mischievous grin. Her teeth were slightly yellowed and crooked. She gestured the table of trinkets and ribbons. “Beautiful jewels, for a beautiful girl.”

 Na Eun shook her head. “Thank you, but I have some where to be.”

 The woman walked from behind her table and approached, raising the sparkling jewels to her face. “These aren’t just trinkets love, they have powers. You could do what ever you want, get whatever you want. And it only cost a few coins.”
 “Madam Tristy, don’t salvage your devil trinkets on the girl.”

 An old man stepped in front of Na Eun and crossed his arms. Madam Tristy lowered her arms and huffed. “Oh Kim, you know I need the money. To pay for my poor dear Christian. Besides, the jewels aren’t really magical, I just say it to cause more interest for customers.” Madam Tristy gave a reassuring smile to Na Eun, but the old man, Kim, took her arm and they quickly walked away from her stand.
 “Do not listen to a thing that woman says. Some gypsies aren’t meant to be trusted.”

 “She doesn’t have a child?”

 “Oh she does, but some say she teaches him the ways of conjuring and has marked him with a devil’s eye.”

 Na Eun coughed. “Okay. Well see here, I am new here.”

 Kim chuckled. “Oh I noticed. I have seen many woman around here, but never none so young and beautiful as you. I don’t if you noticed, but your beauty hasn’t gone unnoticed.” Kim pointed behind her. Na Eun turned to see the men who were in a happy conversation, was now looking right at her with smiled and their faces and whispering amongst each other. The boy with the red ball was chatting with a friend and he was a holding a grin on his face. When he caught Na Eun looking at him, his smile grew and gestured to her. The friend looked at her and gasped. The gypsy woman was now talking to the three other old woman and the looked concerningly at her. “Those woman are definitely telling Tristy to stay away from you. They think she will use you to cause temptation and virtually take your beauty away. Which is another reason why I saved you.”

 Kim was so kind, so warm-hearted to her. He could help her in some way.
 “Mr. Kim, I must ask an urgent favor.”

 Kim nodded. “Oh yes. Anything for a woman like you.”

 Na Eun nodded and stepped closer to him. “Do you know the princesses, Se Kyung and Min Ah?”

 Kim’s eyes brightened and he smiled. “Of course! The wonderful princesses living with their husbands. They are near by in fact, only about twenty minutes away. They present themselves casually, and now they are practically part of the town family. I have heard of their other place they used to live. It was even said they had a younger sister. Many even saying the beauty surpasses Venus. Haven’t you ever heard of. . .” Kim caught Na Eun’s look. He widened his eyes and slowly whispered. “Princess. . . Na Eun?”
 Na Eun nodded. “Yes.”

 Kim shot his hand upon his chest and started to become completely enraptured into her eyes, like he was in some kind of trance. No, not this again. So soon?
 “I have been wanting to meet the legendary princess.” Kim clasped his hand in hers and said as he slowly started to lower himself to the ground. “Na Eun. . . lovely Venus.”

 Na Eun quickly lifted him from the ground and hissed quietly, “Don’t call me that.”

 “But why? Your beauty shall be publicized, you presence shall be known.”

 Na Eun shook her head, “I haven’t the time for this, for you see. . . I. . . have a baby and I am looking for my sisters for assistance. So they could give me rest and medicine. I have been feeling quite sick lately.”

 Kim looked at her in pity. “Oh my lady, assistance from your sisters? Where is the father?”

 “Oh he can’t take care of me, he’s. . .” Kim’s brow raised as the obvious answer was about to come, but she didn’t want to speak the truth, for the truth could make her energy disappear and run low. “Dead. He-he’s dead.” Like my heart, she thought.
 Kim’s eyes softened and he lowered his head. “Oh. I’m so sorry for your lost.” he took her hand in his. “How are you enduring?”

 “It. . . happened so fast. So quick. I couldn’t see him anymore.”

 “Well, don’t worry. Because I’m sure he is walking in a better place.”

 Na Eun nodded. “Yes, thank you.” she lowered her hand from his. “Now, may you show me to my sisters.”

 Kim took her shoulder. “Anything for a girl who’s pregnant. I bet you had to walk all the way here, you must get off your feet very soon.”

 Kim held out his arm for her, and she took it with support. She wasn’t sure if she was going to faint again since she still feels quite dizzy, but she’s wasn’t taking any chances. And any way, Kim wouldn’t mind at all. He was so nice, so fatherly. He talked so casually to her and respectfully followed her request to not present her to anyone, even though he ran into three friends but they quickly walked away with the tip of their hats.

 Na Eun couldn’t wait to get to her sisters, they will comfort her and support her and will give her clothes and medicine. She was so thankful that this particular was so close by.

 But then her heart felt hallow and cold as realization hit her hard in the gut: her palace of gold was gone, her new voice friends were gone, her parents were far away, and Taemin had left her. But she still had a smidge of hope in her. She will go and find Taemin herself, officially apologize to him and hopefully he will forgive her. He could tell him of their baby, they could raise a family, and-
 Na Eun’s stomach twisted and turned. She bent in pain and yelped out. Kim gripped her tightly. “Princess, what is it?” Na Eun didn’t respond. She shook her head. “Let’s continue. We’re almost there.” Na Eun coughed and pounded on her chest. “Na Eun, your sweating. And your become chilly. What is this? Pregnant woman don’t usually have these symptoms.”
 Na Eun heaved. “My sister has medicine. Walk me there, quickly.”

 Kim quickly nodded and supported Na Eun with his arm. They started to move quicker and was soon in front of a light blue house. Smoke escaped from the chimney, and there was a light shadow passing by the window. Whilst walking, Na Eun grunted when another pain shot in her stomach, and then a stabbing headache hit her like a lighting bolt. “We are almost there.” Kim reassured. “Just a few more steps.”

 “Can’t. . . take. . . any. . . more. . .”

 Kim carefully lifted her from the ground and ran to the front door. As he hastily knocked on the door, Na Eun tried to stand straight, but her knees were bent and her head was lowered.
 The front door opened and a rather large man entered through, looking concerningly at the two. “May I help you?” he asked. Kim nodded.
 “Yes. We are looking for the woman in question of the house. Her sister is ill and pregnant and is in desperate need of medicine.”

 The man considered this for a moment and then called behind him. “Min Ah, a man with a girl, who he says is your sister, is at the door for you.”
 There was the clanking of a mug upon a wooden table and footsteps followed. Min Ah appeared in front of her husband, her hair in a messy bun and wearing a black lace corset, black stockings, and a night robe. Kind of like the outfit Na Eun once saw the courtesans wearing while dancing at the windows of a cabaret building. Min Ah looked at the man up and down impatiently, but the expression changed to concern when she saw Na Eun lean against Kim and stare blankly at her. She gasped. “Na Eun?”
 Na Eun shifted and before she could even utter a word, her knees finally gave away, along with all her senses.

                                                                                                        *
 “I don’t understand. I’ve never seen anything like this before.”

 “Sir, repeat what Na Eun was feeling before.”

 “She was so cold, almost like ice. She was bending over in pain, and I noticed a bit of vomit on her hem.”

 Na Eun heard Min Ah’s husband sigh. “She’s so pale.”

 “It’s nothing like I’ve ever seen before. She could possibly be more then ill.”

 Na Eun took a slow breath and started to open her eyes. Everything was so blurry at first. She noticed a firm hand was holding hers, and another rubbing leg softly. She sighed.
 “Look. She’s waking up.”
 Na Eun sighed again and slowly opened her eyes. They shot this way and that as she took note of her new surroundings. The walls looked rough and was painted a dark blue. There was a small table next to the bed, laid upon it was a tray of a water jug and glass cups. Next to it were wash rags and pills. She now noticed that the one holding her hand was Kim and the one rubbing her leg was Min Ah, who was now dressed in a long blue skirt and what looked like her husband’s large white buttoned down shirt. Se Kyung and Min Ah’s husband was standing by looking at her in worry. Na Eun sat up with the help of Kim and drowsily looked at him. “What happened?”

 Kim set his hand on her shoulder. “You fainted madam. We were so worried, you were barely breathing or moving.”
 Na Eun rubbed her temples as a headache came on to her again. She gritted her teeth. “It must be the baby. He or she, didn’t get any food in a while.”

 “I know something that will cheer that baby up.” Min Ah’s husband exclaimed. He ran out of the room for a moment, and then came back holding out a small plate to Na Eun. She took it and starred at the contents for a moment. “Chocolate?”
 “Usually cures a bad stomach ache.” He put a hand on Min Ah’s shoulder. “I’ll be out back if you need me.” He gave Min Ah a peck on the cheek and walked out of the room.

 Se Kyung sighed. “That was lucky. We wouldn’t know what to do if we had Kim. He’s a doctor, did he tell you?”
 Na Eun took a bite from her chocolate and shook her head. “No.” she looked at Kim. He shrugged.

 “Well, he was that one taking care of you for the past hour.” Min Ah said.

 Na Eun dropped the chocolate. “An hour? I’ve been out for an hour?”
 “Yes. But that doesn’t matter any how. Your awake and fine now.”

 “And any way, let’s down to the real topic.” Se Kyung strode to the bed and held Na Eun’s hand. She looked her in the eye. “Why are you’re here? And why are you so ill?”

 “Oh yes, that was what I wanted to talk to you about.” Min Ah raised her brow. She gave a look to Kim, and he took the look by silently getting up and exiting the room. But before he left, Na Eun noticed him glancing back and giving a sorrowful look at her, and then closed the door behind him.

 “Na Eun, what happened?” Min Ah asked.

 Na Eun looked down at her plate of chocolate and shook her head. “I don’t feel like talking about it now.”

 Se Kyung and Min Ah exchanged a look. “Well then don’t tell me he let you come visit us alone. Unless,”

 Min Ah scooted closer. “Call to mind. Was it what the oracle said he was? A hideous monster? Did he put up a fight and tried to eat you? Did you-”
 “NO!” Min Ah and Se Kyung jumped with surprise. What is this temper? They had never seen Na Eun looking so angry. Looking so angry at them. She gritted her teeth, furrowed her brows, and was breathing hard and rough now.
 “The oracle were wrong, they were damn wrong! And I knew it”

 Min Ah, being quite scared of Na Eun’s inflaming temper, stood up from the bed and leaned against the wall across the small room.
 Na Eun’s eyes softened. Tears started appearing in her eyes, quickly becoming red and puffy. She sniffed. “I’m sorry.”

 “Um,” Min Ah stuttered. “Di-did. . . a-are you. . .”

 Na Eun shook her head. “I still can’t believe it. It was only hours ago that he flew away. Far away, back to his old home.”

 Se Kyung gasped. “He. . . He left you?”

 Na Eun nodded. She sniffed and shot daggers to her sisters. “That stupid plan of yours worked great by the way.”

 Min Ah raised her brows. “You mean, he wasn’t a monster? But the oracle-”

 “He went against all the rules, all for me.” Na Eun looked down at her white hands. “Venus was angry at me, and he still wanted to marry me. A son who denied his all powerful mother.”

 Se Kyung asked, “Na Eun, who was your husband?”

 A tear escaped from Na Eun’s eyes. “. . . . Cupid.”

 Se Kyung exchanged a surprised look with Min Ah. The two moved closer to their sister at repeated, “Cupid?”

 Na Eun nodded. “The god of love? The son of Venus, Cupid?” Se Kyung added. Na Eun nodded again. The two sisters exchanged a look again, but this time Min Ah raised a brow. Se Kyung gave an understanding nod. She turned back to the sad and grieving sister. “You must be devastated. And with a baby on the way?”

 “Does he know?” Min Ah asked.

 Na Eun leaned back. “I believe not.”

 Min Ah took two pills from the small plate and filled a glass with water. “Here. Doctor Kim said you were bound to have more headaches. So take these. It’ll calm you.”
 Na Eun replaced the plate of chocolate with the water and pills and weakly swallowed them down. Min Ah took a seat next to Se Kyung.
 “So, you have no idea where he is?”

 Na Eun shook her head. “He just flew away.”

 “That’s so sad.” Se Kyung put a hand to her heart. “He must have taken the concealment very seriously. Was he very angry with you?”

 Na Eun sighed as she leaned her head on the wall. She felt quite relaxed right now. In fact, everything around her was like a flurry of images. Seems like those pills can make a person sleep. She said slowly. “He was. He really was. He said he had to leave me forever, that there was no punishment more painful.” Na Eun softly chuckled. “Boy was he right.”
 Na Eun was starting to loose focus around her, and her vision was becoming blurry. Sleep was on it’s way.
 She stopped talking for a moment, and then started again as she slowly drifted away. “He said. . . love can not. . . dwell with. . . suspicion.” and Na Eun was out like a light.

 Se Kyung raised a tentive hand and softly shook her sister. “Na Eun, are you asleep?”
 She did not move. Min Ah tried herself and shook her a bit harder. “Hey, wake up princess.” Na Eun’s body drooped and she lay, her chest slowly moving up and down.

 Min Ah sat back and smirked. “I believe we have much to discuss of these new events.”

                                                                                                         * ~ *~*~*

 “Where do you thing the Cupid resides now?” Se Kyung asked.

 “I have no idea, Se Kyung. I don’t know all about the gods.”

 Whilst they had knocked out Na Eun with those relaxing pills, the two sisters sit together at the table discussing much mercenary matters.
 Na Eun may have thought her sisters caring for her and her problems, but at which, pretending to grieve, those spiteful creatures inwardly rejoiced.
 They had said, for once, that Na Eun had something taken away from her. It was not her receiving and being given presents and wishes that they thought she had no right to deserve. Na Eun had lost everything and a husband, and was taking care of a baby by herself. What a wondrous difference for a change.

 “I still can’t believe it. Cupid, the God of Love.” Se Kyung exclaimed quietly. “How could he choose her out of all the woman. He could have chosen a goddess.”

 Min Ah looked at Na Eun. “But in a way she is a goddess. She is Venus, remember?”

 Se Kyung huffed.
 “But now, he has left her. What do you suppose we do?”

 Min Ah considered her thought for a moment and then smirked. She crossed her legs and looked at the window. “We have somewhere to go tomorrow morning.”
 Se Kyung was about to question what she meant, but Min Ah stood up to exit out the room. Se Kyung, as usual as the second youngest, followed her. The two walked out to the back of the house, where Kim and Min Ah’s husband talked about the horses and cheerily discussing which breed is the best.

 “Husband.” Min Ah cooed.
 He looked up to his wife and smiled. “Yes, dear?”

 Min Ah pressed herself against her husband and slowly wrapped her arms around his waist. “Me and my sister have just realized, we have some where to be early tomorrow morning. So you may not see me when you wake up. Is that fine?” she whispered. Se Kyung starred at her in surprise. She had never knew this relationship was much within the ual level. Although, knowing her sister, it shouldn’t be much of a surprise.

 Almost immediately, her husband gave into her seduction(even glancing down at her chest) and nodded. “Of course. But what about your sister?”

 Kim stepped forward. “Oh. I would be happy enough to care for her. After all, I think we some things to discuss about her condition.”

 Min Ah bowed her head to him. “Thank you.” She gave a long kiss to her husband and left, swaying her hips behind her.

 Once they were inside, Se Kyung looked at her sister in confusion. “Min Ah?”

 Min Ah looked back at her smirking. She set her hands on her hips and looked to the sky. “For now, he will perhaps choose one of us.”



 By dawn, the two sisters got up early and quietly. For at least fifteen minutes, they fiddled around in the bathroom deciding on what look they should choose.
 “What do you suppose is his type?” Se Kyung asks, looking around the types, colors, shades of makeup.

 Se Kyung suggested: “Wilting flower?” she made a soft moan while glancing at her shoulder looking quite innocent. Min Ah pursed her lips. “Bright and bubbly?” Se Kyung put on a huge grin and started to giggle excitingly. “Or smoldering temptress.” Her eyes turned fiery and she playfully growled.
 Min Ah looked in the mirror. “He may have left her, but he ought to be heart broken. You know how much attention heart broken men need. So I say, smoldering temptress.”
 The two turned to the mirror and made a low growl while shaping their hands into claws. They giggled and started to work.

 Min Ah and Se Kyung started applying the thick and shiny red lipstick. Then putting a sort of smoky look into the mascara. Min Ah described it to be a bit mysterious, and try not to look more depressed then seductive. Then on with a little blush, they put their best clothes. Min Ah in her black corset that slightly pushed up her s, and a matching black long skirt. Along with her black heels.
 Then Se Kyung put on a tight blue corset that showed off her hips. With a matching blue skirt and heels.
 Not even with Na Eun’s intentions, they ascended to the mountain.



 “Min Ah, may I ask you something?” Se Kyung asked.

 “Why, you just did, my lovely sister.” Min Ah said, shooting her sister a playful smile.

 The two were only a few minutes away to where the grassy lands ended. It was quite difficult for them, for Min Ah’s heel got caught in soft dirt twice, and Se Kyung’s clumsiness got in the way of her as she fell down getting dirt and grass on the hem of her dress.
 Se Kyung rolled her eyes. “Tell me: why do want the god so much. Aren’t you and your husband in love?”

 Min Ah wiped her head around and raised a brow at her sister. “I may ask the same question of you.”
 “You first.”

 They continued walking. “Well, of course I love my husband. He’s my husband. But then again think about it: being married to a god. And one with a broken heart, probably crying as we speak.” she chuckled. “He needs a woman, Se Kyung. Besides, it’ll just be an infatuation. One or two, or three, nights of passion, and it’ll be broken off.”
 Se Kyung stopped. “Breaking the heart of a god, again?”

 “Yes!” Min Ah said excitingly. “Do you know how much attention we’ll get by then? Among the skies and the earth, we’ll be known for miles!”

 With that said, the two started to run, holding hands as they go and giggling along the way.
 They only ran for what seemed like three minutes before seeing the cliff right at the edge. Sort of similar to the edge Na Eun once stood on. They both stopped, only inches from the direct edge. They starred at the edge for a long time until Se Kyung shakily muttered. “Okay. How do we do this?”

 “According to mother and father, the flying Zephyrs would come and fly her to the skies, right where the lands of the gods should be. It may possibly be a long walk.”

 Se Kyung shakily faced her. “You go first.”

 Min Ah whined, “Why can’t you go first?”

 Se Kyung didn’t answer. Of course she would be scared. She was scared of everything. That’s why she would often follow everything Min Ah says and does.
 Min Ah rolled her eyes. “Fine. I’ll go first.”

 Min Ah slightly stumbled in her heels walking up to the jagged rock. She looked back at Se Kyung, who was waiting for the cue when ever Min Ah was waiting.
 Min Ah looked up at the sky, the very cloudy sky. She was expecting to see something. Any sign of the Zephyrs. A light, the sound of a bell, something. “Aish. How does this work?” Min Ah mumbled.

 Just as Min Ah was about to request Se Kyung try, she looked back to see her pointing to the sky and yelled, “Look.” Min Ah looked up and gasped. Three little giggling babies wrapped in white sheets with small wings were flying around in the clouds.
 Min Ah waved Se Kyung over and she ran to her. They both started to smooth out their hair and ruffled skirts, held their hands and looked up at the Zephyrs.
 “Okay,” Min Ah called. “We call upon Zephyrs to receive us and bear us to his lord.”

 The Zephyrs, still flying above, looked at the girls in mockery and started to whisper amongst each other. They could tell what the girls are here for. It happens many times where girls order them to take them up to the gods. But it’s not that simple.
 One nodded. The other giggled. One grinned at the girls. Slowly and gracefully, they flew down to the girls, but still hovering a little bit over them.

 Min Ah looked at them in satisfaction. “See. They know us. We’re princesses, so they’ll do anything we say.”

 The Zephyrs held out their hands for them to take. Se Kyung and Min Ah lifted them, but the babies hands seemed to be a little too far. They made themselves harder to reach for a purpose.
 “We can’t reach you.” Min Ah called.
 “Yes. Can you fly a little closer to us?” The reached higher, even getting on their toes, but the Zephyr just made it more difficult.

 That’s when the girls started to jump to reach the babies. They gasped. “Yes, jump.” They whispered. They whispered the words over and over, and the girls did as they said. The started to jump higher, and higher, trying ever so hard as to reach them. That’s when the Zephyr didn’t started to go higher, but lower. The flew in front of them and slowly moved away from them, then flying higher again. The girls started to jump again. “Don’t worry. Almost got you.” Min Ah grunted.

 With one final jump, in unison, the sisters heels gave away. They each broke, but that’s not the only thing that broke. The rocky cliff gave away. They stumbled upon the broken rock, and with a shout for help from Se Kyung, and a blood curdling scream from Min Ah, the two flipped and stumbled down, down, down, into the jagged rocks and running water of the bottom of the cliff.
 The Zephyrs silently flew up back into the skies, ignoring the girls completely. Not one of them didn’t even look back as the screams ended with the splashing of water, and the sound of a horrific crunch.

                                                                                                           *

 A person is born with feelings of envy and hate. It can bottle up and cause a person to do many things. But beware, when you solve it with temptation, He will step in and put it to an end to it.