Task 4: Dying

The Mortal and the God

 Krystal rubbed Na Eun’s head in comfort, along with Victoria who rubbed her back.
 The door behind them slammed open, and the goddess Venus yelled, “LEAVE!” and the door slammed closed. Na Eun didn’t want to look up as the clanking of heels were heading toward her. The room was silent, with the exception of Na Eun’s weeping.

 Krystal and Victoria looked up.

 “Another change of plans are in order. I need the princess . . . to stop crying.”

 Krystal and Victoria helped Na Eun up slowly. She fell against Krystal but immidietly picked herself up again. Na Eun tried to keep quite, but the tears still rode down her red cheeks. She put her hand against .

 Yoona waved the two servants off, and they walked away without hesitation. Yoona walked forward. She held Na Eun’s shoulders. “Well princess,” she said calmly. “Are you ready for your next and final task?”

 Na Eun sniffled, and coughed. She shook her head quickly as more tears rolled down her face. “No. Please. I don’t want to do it anymore. I just . . . want to see him. Please.”

 Yoona scoffed. “Don’t quit on me now. It’s really simple if you only follow instructions. Now, let’s go.”

 Na Eun muttered. “No, no, please. I can’t.”

 Yoona held on to Na Eun’s hand and gripped so tightly it was like she could crush it in a second. Na Eun wept even more. The people in the ballroom watched silently as Yoona nearly dragged her out the door, slamming it from behind. 
 Krystal muttered, “What could all this mean?”

 Victoria looked from her, to the crowd, and back to her sister. She shook her head disappointingly. “For once Krystal, I don’t know.”

 Meanwhile, outside the room Na Eun couldn’t stop crying as Venus dragged her off down the halls. Na Eun cried, “Please, I don’t want to do it anymore! I just want to see my husband once. I only wish to-”

 “Stop blubbering. We are almost to my bedroom.” Venus said, holding that tight grip on to Na Eun’s wrist.
 She continued to beg and plead for her to see her husband, but Yoona did not respond. Na Eun had fallen to her knees multiple times, only to be picked up violently again. Yoona showed no sign of struggling with her either. Na Eun cried and cried but Yoona stopped listening. They travled up some stairs on to a large brown door. There was no knob. Only a small gold pallet. Yoona slowly traced her finger downward. As slowly as she traced, a bright golden rose bloomed from the pallet and light snap filled the air. The door opened. They entered the room. Yoona walked across the room, whilst Na Eun exaughstingly fell to her knees. She slowly lifted her head. The goddesses room was smaller then Na Eun imagined, but still very extravagant. The mineral stone floor was designed into a spriling mess of flowers. There were two paintings of Jupiter hanging bright and beautifully. Her canopy bed was large, enough for five people at least. So many roses and chrysanthemums along vines ran along the walls. Yoona searched her desk for a moment, and then hummed as she found what she was looking for. She pointed to Na Eun, and slowly lifted her finger. At the same time Na Eun rose from the ground, her chin up as if it was hanging on a hook. 

 “About time you stopped crying.” Yoona muttered, emptying out the box that was lightly filled with tiny crystals and pearls. They scattered to the floor, spreading around their feet. 

 Yoona walked toward her. “First off, wipe your face.” Yoona slipped a hankercheif from her brassier and handed it to Na Eun. She wiped her bloated and red face, and blew her nose into it. After she balled it up, Yoona took it from her hand and threw it up in the air. It turned to fire and dust.

 “Now then, I am proud to say that you have reached your last and final task. This was my original plan, before that dancing nonsense. After you have done what I wanted, you and Cupid can live happily ever after.”

 Na Eun sniffled. “R-really?”

 Yoona nodded. Na Eun caught the slightest smile from the goddess. Like, an actual real smile ever since she got here. But it was only slight. That smile turned back into a bleak and solemn expression. 
 “Now, here.” She showed the box, which was decorated with a single multi-color rose. “Take this box and go your way to the infernal shades, and give this box to Ceres’s daughter, Proserpina. Say, exactly like this: ‘My mistress Venus desires you to send her a little of your beauty, for in tending to her sick son she has lost some of her own.’” 
 Na Eun took the box in her hands.

 “Be not too long on your errand, for I must paint myself with it to appear at the circle of gods and goddesses this evening.”

 Proserpina? She had never seen a painting of Ceres’s daughter, but she has heared a little about the spring goddess. 

 “The infernal shades? What is that?” Na Eun asked.

 Venus shrugged. “The infernal shades, the darkest place known on earth. Filled with darkness and rock and fire. Also known as Hades, among the mortals.”

 Na Eun gasped. She can’t be asking that of Na Eun. It’s impossible for her to do. “Venus. . . you impose I go for a quest in the underworld. But doesn’t that mean I have to. . . die?”

 Venus did not look at her, but at the three paintings of Jupiter. A look past through her eyes. They were uncertain. Almost afraid. 
 She sighed. “Once you have returened, I will return your life. You and your fetus. I got it covered.” She sighed again, starring at the paintings. “I promise.” she muttered. It looked as if she was saying it to Jupiter rather then to her. 

 Na Eun was silent. What a risk to take. What if she was lying to her again? Just another trick to get rid of her?
 She looked at Venus’s uncertain face. She starred at the paintings, her arms crossed, her eyes glossed over.

 Na Eun took a step closer. “Venus?”

 “Princess, I say what is true. . . Taemin truly loves you, no matter what.” She sighed again, closing her eyes. “I want to confess something. I was truly envious of you, but not only of the beauty and the fame. But rather most of all, how you love someone, and they love you back. You and my son know the true feeling of love. It must have really hurt when he left you there, alone and pregnant. I have experienced that hurtful feeling before. It doesn’t feel good, and it doesn’t go away.” Yoona trailed off, like she lost her train of thought for a moment. She slowly walked toward the center painting of Jupiter. He held a white flower to his face, and had a slight smile on his face. Yoona traced his face with her finger.
 “Be lucky you have a chance to get him back, because if you didn’t. . . you might end up like someone else. Someone like me.”

 Na Eun looked at her. So something must have happened, between Venus and. . . Jupiter? What could have happened? How did it happened?
 “Venus?” she muttered softly.

 Venus held up her hand. “If you go now, just beyond in the forest is a high tower. You can die from jumping off, and go on from there. Remember my words. Now go.”
 Na Eun nodded. Looking back at the uncertain and sad looking goddess, she slowly closed the door behind her. That was the moment when she realized that underneath the maddning goddess, was probably a sad love-written woman in pain. 




 Making her way out of the green forest, Na Eun entered a small grove with a moving creek. A few feet beside the creek, was a large tower strung with vines. Na Eun ran to the tower, her ripped white dress trailing behind. 

 She climbed up the rusty spriling stair case, and came to a black door. Opening it slowly, she peeked around to see if anyone was walking around. She poked her head inside. Absolutly no one. Just a pink and flowery empty room. Everything was decorated with flowers. The floors. The wordrobe. The bed sheets. Everything. Na Eun smiled at the artwork, but then remembered what she was really here for. To die.
 Na Eun slowly walked toward the window. Dusk was slowly turning to nightime. She looked down. Of course, she was high, high, high up. Na Eun gasped and looked away. She gripped the little box in her hands, and took a breath. Venus said she would revive her. She looked serious. I can do this, Na Eun thought. 
 She slowly walked toward the window and looked down again, with more confidence. To die from falling, she would have to go head first. Hopefully, it would work. Or she would have to force going into a coma. “Okay Underworld, here I come.” Na Eun whispered.

 Na Eun opened the window. Only her foot made it out of the window, before the tower started to rumble, vibrate, waver violently. Na Eun shot her leg out from the window, and fell to the floor. The box slipped from her hands and screeched away from her. 
 “Stop, please,” someone called. The tower stopped it’s earthquake. But what was this strange and booming voice. 

 Na Eun’s voice was shaking. “What was that?”

 “Why poor unlucky girl, do you design to put an end to your days in so dreadful a manner?”

 Na Eun looked around. No one was at the door. No one was outside. Who could it be?

 “And what cowardice makes you sink under this last danger who have been so miraculously supported in all your former?” 

 It was the tower. The tower was talking to her. Na Eun crawled to the box and picked it up. Then stood up with shaeky legs. She leaned on to the wordrobe and took a breath. “I. . . I have a quest to the underworld itself. I have no other way.”

 “Ah, but my lady, there is another way.”

 Na Eun furrowed her brows. Does that mean that vengeful goddess had tricked her again, with some acting added to it. 
 Na Eun crossed her arms. “How then? What other way is there?”

 “First, I advise you to travel to Lacedaemon, which is only a short mile from here. You must seek out the place called Taenarus, where you will find the entrance to the underworld, which is a cave. The airway of Dis is there, and through the yawning gates the pathless route is revealed. Once you cross the threshhold, you are commited to the unswerving course that takes you to the very Regia of Orcus. But you shouldn’t go empty handed throush the shadows past this point, but rather carry cakes of honeyed barely in both hands, and transport two coins in your mouth. One to ride on the way, and the other on the way back.”

 So much information. To memorize a quote from the goddess, and now to follow these directions and instructions. 
 Na Eun sighed, then nodded. “Okay. Thank you tower.”

 As she was walking to the door, the tower shook just a little bit. She stopped, her hand still held on to the door. 
 “Princess, you must be warned of two things.”

 Na Eun nodded. “Go on.”

 “During your ride to and back through the underworld, you will pass several ominous fugures: a lame man driving a mule loaded with sticks, a dead man swimming in the river that separates the world of the living from the world of the dead, and old woman weaving. They will seek to divert you by pleading for help, but you must ignore them. Remain silent. Fall for their tricks and you could really be part of the underworld. The cakes are to treat Cerberus, the big and black three-headed dog.”

 Na Eun nodded. “Yes.”

 “And also. . . When Proserpina has given you the box filled with her beauty, of all things this is chiefly to be observed to you, that you never once open or look into the box nor allow your curiosity to pry into the treasure of the beauty of the goddess.”

 “Thank you so much.”

 Na Eun opened the door and ran down the long stair case. What waited at her feet when she exited, a small white cloth filled with the barely cakes, and two gold coins. Na Eun smiled. She turned, touched her hand to the fluffy and red brick, and whispered, “Thank you tower.” The tower rumbled under her hand. 
 Na Eun picked up the coins, and put them in . Her nose scrunched as the bitter coppery taste filled . She carried the cakes in her other hand, and started south of the tower.

 She crossed the long line of the green, green forest. Nothing but green. It was starting to get really dark. The sun was just behind the mountains, creating a mirage of color. Na Eun could see pinks, pranges, and the slight tinge of red. How beautiful. How long has it been since shes really been outside? Two days? Three? Whatever the time, it’s been way to long since Na Eun had really appreciated the nature of the world. It was already quite, only the sound of the moving winds against the trees. 
 Na Eun came across the cave. It looked too dark to go in, and she didn’t have a torch. Na Eun sighed. She only had to hope it was a straight line toward her destination. 

 But, as soon as she entered, torched along the walls lit themselves. She smiled. She went on in the cave. The ground had turned into light, soft sand. The cave walls were wet and shiny. Torches continued to light themselves as she walked on and on into the cave.
 As she went. The wind started to pick up inside. They did not disturb the flames, but still whipped her hair upon her shoulders. The cave was starting to become wider, and the winds quieter. But somehow, an ominous fog was rolling in around her. The torches were her only sourse of light. Na Eun tried not to cough as there was a sudden intoxicating sweet aroma mixed with the heavy smell of musk and. . . dog. 

 Na Eun stopped. She faced three paths. It was simple. What she was smelling, was probably Cerberus. So Na Eun walked to the first path. She sniffed in a deep breath. Nothing but smoke was coming from that cave. She walked to the second path. She breathed in, and suddenly coughed out the two coins. That sweet and heavy musky-dog smell was irritating to her nose. She sneezed once, twice. Na Eun exhaled. She bent down, grabbed the coins and put them back into . Her finger tips were covered in saliva. 
 With everything in her hands. She went down the middle rode. 

 Ripping through the mist and fog, the torches were no longer there, but she knew that she just had to keep straight.

 Running and running. She kept running, not stopping for anything. Not until, she crashed into something hard and furry. She was knocked into the ground. Knowing what she just hit, Na Eun stayed still on the ground. Everything was still. Everything was silent. 
 Until, there was some movement. A shuffle of the dirt. A low murmuring. And then. . . a growl. It was low, and evil.

 Na Eun squeaked as she felt something wet fall on to her leg. It was gooey, and was frothy like bubbles. Na Eun reached a tentive hand to it. She gagged. Saliva, it was. Dog saliva.

 Another growl sounded, and the mist was starting to clear. Na Eun stood up, with the cakes and the box still in her hands.
 She looked up. . . and up some more. . . He was big and black. He wore a collor that was scarlet red and covered in spikes. Three long necks were accompanied by three large heads, yellow-eyed and large yellow teeth. They barred their teeth at her, growled and sneered.
 Na Eun stood frozen. Her mind spoke to her, Come on Na Eun. Move. Be brave, like a goddess. Take the cakes out, Na Eun. TAKE THE CAKES OUT.

 Na Eun drobbed her stuff, but left the cakes in her hand. 
 She opened up the cloth, and held up the little treat. One of the heads, the middle head, bent down and sniffed at the cakes. He stopped growling. His head nudged the other heads, and they stopped too. Now, they all starred at her, waiting. Waiting for there treat. 
 Na Eun lifted up one first. She shook it playfully, for the dogs. Their yellow eyes followed her hand that held the cake up. With a grunt, she threw it up and the first head caught it with it’s head. It chewed satisfyingly. She did the same with the other two cakes.

 They all moaned in content. The dog layed down and rested it’s head on it’s paws. Na Eun picked up the box and slowly walked around the big dog. Behind the dog was a large rusty gate. She opened the latch, and the gate opened with a squeak. 

 She was outside again, but this time it was really nighttime, and she was at a clearing. The sky was dark and black but full of stars. Behind the clearing with a long river. Na Eun approached it. The river didn’t look clean at all. In fact, it was really grey. And stray trunks and twigs from a tree were floating right on by. And that’s when she saw a boat approaching from the left. A man as grey as the river was rowing a tiny boat toward her. Na Eun stood back as the boat was reaching her.
 The man inside the boat was really grey, and balding. He wore a white cloth tied around his waist and under. He stopped in front of Na Eun, and gave a little nod. “Charon the Ferryman, to take wondering mortals and souls to the underworld.” he greeted. Charon held out his hand. Payment, he wanted. Na Eun nodded. She slipped the two coins out of , and held them out to the man.

 He took one coin. 
 “Sorry. I was told to carry them in my mouth.”

 “No problem.” Charon flipped the coin, bit into it with his teeth, and then threw it into the grey waters, glowing bubbles floating just above the ripples.

 “Hop in, milady.” 
 Na Eun slowly sat inside the rowing boat, and Charon started the ride. 

 “By the way,” he mentioned. “I’d put that second coin in your mouth, just in case.”

 Na Eun followed the order. The ride with the ferryman continued in silence. That was until the ferryman said, “You know, I’ve never droven a mortal princess to the underworld. Actually, your more like a goddess from what I’ve been hearing.”

 Na Eun gave him a look as if to say ‘Oh really?’. 
 Charon chuckled. “Oh come on. I never lie when talking to mortals. Okay, maybe I do. But only because I never see the mortals again after giving them a ride. Souls can travel back and forth, try to get some coin out of me, sometimes wanting ‘help’ from me. But most of the time, it never works.” Charon nodded his head behind them. “Look, we’re coming to the regular customers right now.”

 Passing by the trees, they could see the black night sky clearly now. And large shiny rock like the cave. Charon leaned forward. “That coin in your mouth keeps you quite, just in case any of these guys wants to touch you. Better stay close, sweetheart.”
 Na Eun shifted a little in her seat. They were coming closer and closer to those lost souls that wanted help.

 Across the river, and man wearing a fishing vest and hat with dirty tattered boots, was walking hunchback, hundreds of twigs and sticks being carried behind him. He saw the two rowing by. He reached a hand toward Na Eun, looking at her with his dead eyes. “Help. . . Help me.” he said.  The man coughed, then he fell to his side. Na Eun flinched. She noticed Charon slowling down a bit, and looking at her.

 He smiled, and nodded to the lame man. “You wanna go and help him?”

 Na Eun shook her head.
 Charon gave her a kind of satisfied look. “Interesting.”

 Why would he be saying that. Has everyone that rode with him gave in to the wandering souls? 

 As they rode on, the boat started to wobble. It pushed this way and that. Charon didn’t look fazed. Something was under the boat. Or someone, as Na Eun suspected.
 A dark gray man floated to the surface of the water. He grunted and moaned in pain, and he reached to the sky. “Help me, Lord. Help.”
 Na Eun looked away. She had to ignore them.

 Then there were those old woman weaving. They caught sight of Na Eun, and looked at her with sorrowful eyes.

 “Help us.” one said.

 “Our hands are tired.” another one said.

 “We need an extra hand.” 

 Ignore. Ignore. Na Eun didn’t look at them. She stayed silent, no matter what other voices were saying. She only focused on her hands or the dark and dirty water. 

 Soon the boat came to a complete stop. Another gate was waiting just behind Charon. Although, smoke and fog were bleeding through the gates so you couldn’t see what was behind it. He sighed. “Where are you heading?”

 Na Eun took out the coin from , which left a coppery test sticking to her tongue. “I must ask Proserpina’s beauty for Venus. So the goddess can attend a feast tonight.”

 “Oh. I think that party might have already passed by the time you get back.”

 Na Eun furrowed her brows. “What?”

 Charon shrugged. “Time goes by fast when your in the underworld. But don’t worry, it’s nothing serious. Just go past these gates, and get what you need.”

 “No directions?”

 Charon chuckled. “I have a feeling you’ll know where to go.”

 Of course, that’s what everyone expected of her. And yet, she had gotten lucky so many times, maybe she would know where to go.
 “Thank you, Charon the Ferryman.” Na Eun stood up with the box, and started to put the coin back into , when Charon stood up and stopped her. “Might as well take that coin now. Trust me, I’ll be here when you get back.”

 Na Eun nodded, and handed him the coin. 
 She stepped out of the boat, waved Charon goodbye, and unlatched the gate. She entered through the foggy cloud. She walked through more of the blinding fog. And then, she went blind for a moment. Everything was blurry, out of focus. And then, she got her sight again. She was in a large field, inside a mountain. She stood on a small dirt ride, and facing the direction of a big palace. It was covered in flower petals, and surrounded by bushes and willow trees. Strangely, it seemed to be daytime but it was rather cloudy. Na Eun looked behind her, only to find green, green, and more green. “Yah!” someone yelled. Na Eun turned. Five men were running toword her from behind the large palace. They wore the same red soldier uniform like in Venus’s house. Na Eun froze.

 The large and buff men circled around her, starring at her. 
 “Young lady, what business do you have here?” one asked.

 Na Eun cleared . “I am here to visit Proserpina, Ceres’s daughter.”

 The man chuckled darkly. “No random mortal can visit the goddess un-invited.”

 “But I am expected here, by Venus goddess of love, , and fertility. You see, I am her sons wife, and she has sent me on a quest to the underworld. It is really important that I speak to her. Venus says so.” She was quite hopping they would recodnize that god of love’s wife, since everyone else seems to know. 

 The men exchanged looks, talking through their eyes. 
 Well, maybe these men didn’t know. They would need more convincing. Na Eun held out her hand, shwoing them her engagment ring. They all looked at it for a moment. Then they all looked at each other again.

 The man cleared his throat, then spoke, “Well, if what you say is true, then-”
 The man stopped his speaking, as a loud horse neighing sounded through the trees across from them. 

 A large and mighty black horse leaping through the trees, and galloped fast toward them. The riders face was hidden behind the head, but Na Eun could see the flash of short, bright red hair. The mean dispersed in front of Na Eun, so the rider could skid across from her. The soldiers stepped back. Na Eun looked up. The person’s face was hard to see at her first because of the sudden showing sun. But then their head the sun, and the features slowly showed themselves. Big, plump lips. Small-ish eyes, and puffy cheeks. Short red hair that was combed to the side, and soft pearly white skin. Her legs hung to the side in her long blue, wavy dress. It hung off her shoulder showing a bit of her collar bone.

 This was Proserpina, daughter of Ceres, and the main cause why spring and summer turns into fall and winter.
 The girl looked down at Na Eun, into her eyes. Na Eun was enraptured. It was like she was reading her soul from the inside out. 

 “What she says is true.” Proserpina said, still looking Na Eun in the eye.

 She waved off the other guards, and they immediately ran fast away. 
 Proserpina jumped off her horse. “Hello, Na Eun.”

 Na Eun bowed. “Proserpina. This is my first time seeing you and may I say. . . You are truly recognized as Ceres’s daughter. You look, almost like her.” 

 Proserpina smiled. “Thank you. But I can never be better then my own mother. The woman is definatly something to behold. I think I actually get my beauty from my father. And the power. And my love of horses.” Proserpina rubbed the horses neck, and it nighed whilst rubbing against her neck. 
 “His name is Comet, because he’s so fast. And he doesn’t know when to slow down.” Proserpina tapped Comet’s neck, and it annoyingly neighed.

 “Yes.” Na Eun muttered. She gripped the box in her hand tightly, and held it in front of her. Proserpina looked at it curiously. “Um, Proserpina. I am here because of Venus and. . .” Proserpina held her hand up for her to stop.

 “Say no more. I read you just a minute ago. I will hand you some beauty after a short little talk.”

 Proserpina hopped on to the horse, and held out her hand for Na Eun. She took it, and Proserpina easily lifted her on to Comet’s back. 
 “Thank you, Proserpina.” 

 She chuckled. “Please. The name is Sulli.”



 They walked back into the forest from which Sulli had come from. It was like they entered the rain forest. The mist was thin and very wet. And it was little bit humid. You could hear the exotic animals slithering, flying, and lurking all around you. The sun was hidden from the sky mist bit it appeared to be much brighter then usual.
 “First off, Na Eun.” Sulli said, patting Comet’s mane. “You need to see some people before we get to talking. You shouldn’t be the last to know about this, and don’t be so surprised about them either. It could happen to any mortal.”

 Na Eun nodded, but wondered what she meant by the mortals. There wasn’t anyone she needed to worry about, right?

 “They should be right here.” Sulli said, nodding to a doorway made from a willow trees leaves.

 “Who?” Na Eun asked. Sulli didn’t say anything.

 The black horse slowly entered through the leaves, and the sun had disappeared entirely. It was dark, but the whole place was casted in shadowes, and being lit by floating candles all around the grassy walls. To figures lay below them. They wore wearing leaves and flowers of all colors. They were both girls. Although, all the more surprising thing: Na Eun widened her eyes as her older sisters looked up at her.
 Min Ah had her bare white feet in side a small pond of water, and Se Kyung drawing an animal on parchment whilst chewing on a leaf. They both looked up at her, and gasped.

 “Na Eun!” they yelled.

 Na Eun jumpd off the horse, and was greeted by her sisters with warm hugs and kisses.

 “We haven’t seen you in so long, young Na Eun.” Min Ah said, giving her a bright smile. She gasped, looking at her tummy. “I see a small plump becoming visible.”

 Se Kyung rubbed Na Eun’s head. “How have you been?”

 Where has she been? Didn’t they know already? Na Eun looked from them to Sulli. Sulli was starring at the sisters, her head resting upon her hand and petting Comet’s mane. 
 Na Eun raised her brows. “But didn’t Doctor Kim tell you? I went on my way to the Gods place. And, what are you doing here in the underworld? How did you get here?”

 Se Kyung and Min Ah exchanged a look, and then nervously giggled.
 “Mind if I answer for the young tikes?” Sulli said, hopping off her horse.

 She walked in between her sisters. “Na Eun, why do you think souls travel to the underworld?”

 Na Eun blinked. “Because of the sins they commit when on Earth.” Na Eun caught her sisters looking anywhere but her, and she widened her eyes. 
 “That can’t be right. My sisters have never done anything. Have they?” 

 “But we have, Na Eun,” Se Kyun said, fiddling with her fingers.

 “It’s true.” Min Ah said. “We have delt with the sin of Envy for almost our whole past lives.”

 “Envy of what?”

 “Envy of you, of course. You didn’t think it was just Venus who was jealous did you?” Min Ah said. “Other girls had the same feeling, especially us, Na Eun. We didn’t like the attention and applause always pointed to you. We wanted all of it.”

 Se Kyung said, “And how we got down here, well, we were on our way to the Zephyrs. We were going to fly up and. . . seduce the heart broken god you hurt. We thought that was going to make us recognized, but then we fell on the rocks, and soon we were dead. At least the death was fast.”

 Min Ah scowled. “Your death was fast. I was left drowing in pain until five minutes later.”

 Na Eun scrunched her nose at the memory of that blood upon that group of rocks. So it was them. And they were going to seduce Taemin. That didn’t sound like her sisters.
 “But why?” Na Eun asked, her eyes blurring with tears.

 “It was our Wrath and Envy for you Na Eun. But thankfully we died because of it.” Min Ah said. “You wouldn’t believe the feelings that go away when your traveling to your destination. But unfortunately it sent us here.”

 “After wondering with other souls for a while, we asked Charon the Ferryman to take us somewhere where we can not be harmed, but it cost a lock of hair from each of us.” Se Kyung said, pursing her lips at the thought. “We found ourselves here, and this kind young goddess took pity on us. She let Pluto know, and he has only punished us with one thing. We are now one with the forest. If we leave we die again, for good. As in, we never existed.”

 Na Eun sighed. “Thank goodness your still all right then.”

 Sulli patted the shoulders of the green covered sisters. “Well now that is out of the way, I would like to have a word with Na Eun alone, please.”

 “Of course madam.” the sisters said, giving her a curtsy. The girls gave their last kisses and hugs to Na Eun, then ran fast out of the leafy cave.

 “Sit please.” Sulli said, gesturing to the ground. On the other side, Comet lay snoring with his back turned to them. 
 Na Eun sat across from Sulli.

 “So what do you think? About your sisters, I mean.” 

 Na Eun sighed, and shook her head. “It is rather disappointing that they can’t leave from this forest, but I can always visit them in return.”

 “Yes. And don’t worry, there safe in my forest. Since they have become one with it, they have an unlimited supply of leaves and berries and meat to eat from.”

 “If I may ask, Sulli,”

 She nodded. “Go on.”

 Na Eun cleared . It felt a little dry for some reason. “What are you doing here in the underworld?”

 Sulli cocked her head and furrowed her brows. “You don’t know?”
 Na Eun shook her head slowly.

 Sulli sighed. “I guess I’m gonna have to tell you huh?”
 Na Eun pursed her lips. She scotted forward and leaned in to listen closely. She even rested her head in her hands, like a little girl. Sulli chuckled.  “Okay fine.” She took a breath before starting.

 “You do know Dis Pater, also know as Pluto?” Na Eun nodded. “Well, I think he may have mistaken my affections for him as love. Pluto was long alone down here in the underworld, having to deal with wondering mortals and souls, and the occasional annoying visits from my father. Pluto was rather determined to have me here with him, to marry and have children. He took me here while I was alone in the gardens, and carried me down into the underworld. The first night he demanded we make love, but I declined. The second night he demanded again, and I still declined. The third night before he could even ask, I made my way to the gates where Charon can take me out of this Hell hole. But Dis was not fooled easily. He had saw me leaving, and ran to fetch me on a carriage with his black horses. Right then once we got home, he carried me to his bed and me.”  Na Eun gasped.

 “I know. My mother was devastated when she found out, that I was no longer her pure . The time when I was gone, she couldn’t find me and wondered Earth in disguise. Her mood and happiness were gone. Spring was turning into a cool fall. And before the mortals knew it, it was a cold and snowy winter. I am the reson the seasons change.

 “My father tried to send for Ceres, but she demanded to see her daughter fine. Until then, she stayed on Earth, making everyday the hardest for all. Never would she let the Earth bear fruit. He sent for Mercury then, to go down to the underworld and to bid his lord that his bride to be sent back to Olympia, for her mother. I sprang up joyfully, and I knew Dis had to give in to my father’s orders. He prayed I left with kind thoughts about him and not be sorrowful of my position in our mariage. And he made me eat four pomegranate seeds, knowing in his heart that if I did I must return to him. Me and my mother were happy to be reunited, but then she would turn cold and sad every time I had to go back. Those four months every year is when the seasons change suddenly.”

 “Wow.” Na Eun said. “I can’t believe I missed that story in school.”

 Sulli shrugged. “Not to worry. I think the seasons may have changed already on Earth. Time can be less accurate here then on earth.”

 “Where is Dis Pater?” Na Eun asked.

 Sulli shrugged. “He was probably called down somewhere. He did not say.”

 Na Eun sighed, and rubbed the gossbumps on her arm. She hasn’t heard anything so tragic before. And Ceres had looked rather happy when meeting her for the first time, but maybe that couldn’t have been her true feelings. Oh, how good gods are at showing their emotions.

 “By the way, how may I ask your married life is like?” Sulli asked. 

 Na Eun looked at her. Oh, how she didn’t want to answer that question. Na Eun fiddled with her ring, and looked away.

 “I know, I know. Not so well, huh?”

 Na Eun shrugged. “Well, when I was little I thought marriage was supposed to be happy and last forever. But these days for me, it’s like a spinning mess of moods, sickness, and challenges. I’m surprised I’m even still in one piece. Well, sort of,” Na Eun gestured to those koi fish bites on her arms and legs.

 “Oh trust me, those will heal in time.”
 Na Eun nodded. They took time just to wash the blood off. It may take longer for them to heal.

 “I heard of Venus’s crazy quests. I think she’s mad for putting you through all these pointless challenges. It’s just her jealousy in the way, she will see the light of day. Soon. And don’t give up hope that Taemin would actually still love you. He does. And you’ll be reunited as one, as god and goddess. I have seen visions, young Na Eun. White, white, and more white for the wedding, every god invited laughing and enjoying themselves, even Venus. And. . . would you like to know the gender of your lovely baby?”

 Na Eun smiled. “That would be nice. But, no. I’d rather be surprised.”

 Sulli nodded. “Understood. Now, is there anything else you need of me?”

 Na Eun snapped her head up. The box. The beauty. She looked around, and saw the box lying nest to Comet. She scooted toward him to get the box, and Comet huffed in his sleep as he felt the slight touch of Na Eun’s finger tips.

 Na Eun held out the box. She opened , but no words came out. What were the lines again. As Na Eun tried to think, she heard Sulli chuckle.
 “Okay. No need to say anything. Let me just give you some beauty so you can be on your way.”

 Sulli took the box from her hands and opened it. With a flick of her wrist, a soft wooden wand appeared in Sulli’s hand with fairy dust falling to the green ground. She pointed the tip of the wand to her neck, then slowly pulled it away. What came protruding from her skin was a long string of sparkles that glowed the whole room. Sulli wrapped it around the wands tip, then let it fall into the box. The wand disappeared, and Sulli closed the box. She started to trace something on the box with her finger. “With love, from Proserpina.” The girls laughed. Sulli handed the box to Na Eun.

 They stood.
 “Thank you so much, Sulli.”

 “No problem. Before you go, would you like to join me in my feast. We’ll be inviting five others.”

 “I’m sorry. I would love to, but I must give this to Venus immidietly. The faster I do, the faster I can speak to my Taemin.”

 Sulli nodded. “I understand.”
 She walked over to Comet and hit him to wake him up. He gruffed, and slowly stood up. Sulli helped Na Eun up on the horse. As they started walked fast out of the shadowy room and into the light, Sulli’s story still sounded in her mind. How she was forced to sleep and marry Dis Pater. It sounded so strange, and if it wasn’t for her father and Mercury, it would be Winter for the rest of their lives. And then there was the parts with her father. . . 

 “Sulli, who is your father?” Na Eun asked.

 “My father? He is Ceres’s husband, Jupiter.”




 After a fellow kiss goodbye, Na Eun travled back through the fog, and was right back where she started, at the still grey lake. It was also still dark out here.
 “Oi!” Charon was seen rowing down the river toward her. He was smiling too.

 “About time you came back.” He said as he stopped in front of her.

 “How long was I gone?” Na Eun asked.

 “Just about an hour and a half. I told you I’d be here for you. Hop in.”
 Na Eun held the box tightly in her hands as she climbed over Charon and to the other side of the boat. As before the boat ride was moving and silent. The two didn’t speak to each other, except Charon glancing at her now and then.

 They were getting close to that place with the seven figures.
 As they rode closer, Charon asked, “If I may, how do you feel right now, princess?”

 Na Eun shrugged. “Fine. Why?”

 Charon shrugged. “Just asking.”

 The two didn’t speak for another moment. And then Charon said, “I have been noticing something for the time now and the first journey. You, um, seem rather pale, and there are bags under your eyes. Are you tired, like you’ve lost your energy?”

 Na Eun sighed. “Unfortunatly, yes. But why do you ask?” Why this sudden talk?

 Charon looked away for a moment, then sighed. “You see, being the ferryman of the dead, you should understand, I can see how a person can die or how they are going to die. It’s a gift I have developed from being here nearly all my life.”

 “You can see anyone who died or how their gonna die?”

 “Of course.” he said quietly, looking away.

 Na Eun scooted closer. “Well, is there something you need to say to me?”

 Charon hesitated, but answered, “Yes. It’s about you princess. And I know you are pregnant, but it’s really urgent.” They were approaching the five old woman weaving, and they looked up to them. Na Eun didn’t dare look at them. Ignore them, she thought. Only focus on Charon. “Yes.”

 He nodded to the woman. “They see it to you know, when people are dying.”

 Na Eun nodded. “Good to know. Now, were you saying something about me?”

 Charon nodded, then took a breath. “Yes. I see it, those demons see it. When a person is dying, they are glowing with a red aura. And Na Eun. . . you know you have it right?”
 Na Eun froze. She couldn’t hear anything. Not the people calling for help, not the sound of rustling trees, not even the creaking boat. Did I hear that right? What did he just say?

 “What?” Na Eun cracked out. 

 “Your. . . dying, Na Eun. You and your baby.” he sighed. “I believe you have a late reaction to tuberculosis. It is mainly infection of the lungs. Don’t you have episodes of coughing involuntarily, and dry heaving. That can lead to actual vomiting. Your baby could be sick too. It’ll die either way: you could live and consieve a dead child, or die with it in the process.”
 The past by the figures, them starring on to them and disappearing behind smog. 

 Na Eun hunched over, and rubbed her temples. “Oh my god. . .” she muttered. She didn’t want to think of it even thought she knew it was possible, but to actually hear it, to confirm it, her mind went blank. Reality was not in front of her, and she sat still and silent. Charon looked at her, wondering why she wasn’t talking. He would usually get so kind of complaining and screaming from the dying mortal, not this silent reaction. 
 Na Eun lowered her hands. “I’m dying. . . .”
 A single tear rode down her left eye. 

 Charon stopped the boat, and put a soft comforting hand on Na Eun’s shoulder. “I’m very sorry to pry you out of your thoughts but, we’re here.” His hand motioned to unrusted gate that was bleeding fog. Na Eun moved slowly, grabbing the box and heading toward to the gate. “Na Eun,” Charon called. Na Eun turned around. “I’ll always be waiting for you. Dying or living. I mean, I’m not going anywhere.” he said, giving a small smile.

 Na Eun smiled back. “Goodbye, Charon.”
 Na Eun unlatched the gates and entered through. She appeared just in the middle of another forest, it’s trees scattered this way and that. The sun was showing brightly down on the earth, and the clouds were white and fluffy. Oh, how the world was so beautiful but now her mood was so down, it melted beneath her feet.

 Whilst walking, her mind kept those words muttered, I’m dying, I’m dying. The truth hurt so much for her. If Charon could see it, could the others some how too? Charon was in a way one of the gods. Riding that boat was just part of her job.

 Walking on into the bright forest, Na Eun glanced at the box. It was kind of big, but what Sulli put in it was so little. Could there appear to be more in it. Maybe. . . 
 The girls curiosity filled her head, blocking her death written disease out of her mind. Charon said she had bags under her eyes, her skin really pale and white.

 Na Eun put her hand on the box. “What,” she said, “shall I, the carrier of this divine beauty, not take the least bit to put on my cheeks to appear to more advantage in the eyes of my beloved husband!”
 The tower had pacifically said for her not to look, but young and foolish Na Eun had forgotten the warning and unlatched the box. Opening it, a glow appeared. What was thought as Proserpina’s beauty, was something else entirely. It was still glowing sparkles, but a string of it floated up into the air. Na Eun looked at it in wonder. Is that the beauty, she wondered. No, it wasn’t.

 What she in fact released from that box was an infernal and truly Stygian sleep, which being thus free from it’s prison, took fast possession of her. Na Eun widened her eyes as it shot like a comet towards her. It disappeared like flurry of stars in her face. Na Eun dropped the box and fell on to a rock covered in soft tree fungus. What was once a foolish and young girl was now a sleeping corpse, without sense or motion.
 But it’s not the end here folks.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 Gonna warn you guys now. . . . the story is almost over.





 I know. I know. The story has one more chapter after this, and then an Epilouge. Just gonna say this now, I so enjoyed having all of supporters with me and this story. Oh God . . . . . . .  here come the water works!



Well, I hope ya'll enjoyed this long chapter. See you soon again. Happy Holidays! And stay Beautiful!