The Mortal

The Mortal and the God

 There once was a king and queen that ruled a magnificent kingdom. The kings and queens names were Leeteuk and Sora. They ruled a land of cutpurses, commoners, wives, and knights. Everyone bows at the feet of royalty, loving the royal family so. Especially one in particular.
 The king and queen had three beautiful daughters. The eldest had the name of Min ah. The eldest was tall. She had pearly white skin, jet black hair, and had a wonderful smile that could make you faint. She had married at eighteen to a counselor. She now resides in a near by village near the kingdom. The second eldest, the second youngest, went by Se Kyung. This one had her fathers dark brown hair, had gained her sister’s pearly white skin and smile, and had inherited her mother’s exquisite polite manners. She is also married, but married to a soldier. She lives in the same village as her eldest sister. Now, we get to the youngest. This ones beauty can not even be expressed in words. She is Na Eun. First off, her hair was long, had natural black curls running down her back like a water fall. She didn’t have pearly white skin like her sisters, her skin was marble. So soft and shiny like silk. Her hazel nut eyes sparkled when ever it hit the sunlight and her smile was much more brighter then her sisters. Her mother has made her looked even more beautiful(if that’s even possible) by giving her the best dresses made, most in the girls favorite color, white. Not only is she beautiful, but she possesses more talents then her sisters. She could sing, she could dance, she writes poetry, and her main instrument was the oboe.

 Her beauty and talents were widely recognized. She was the most famous among the royal family, everyone bending their knees to her. Her sister noticed enough to be jealous of the young girl.
 “So famous is she not? Letting everyone give her treats and gifts she has no meaning to deserve.” they said. “But not to worry, this glamorous fame shall substance in one way or another.”

 One day had happened when Na Eun had heard yelling from her window. She looked towards it and put down her book she was reading. She looked out her window but could not able to see, for tree branches had blocked her view of the kingdom. Na Eun furrowed her brows. “Perhaps the view is to be seen from the balcony.”
 She had left her room and went down the hallway and was immediately greeted by three servants. She bowed to them quickly and scampered to the balcony. She opened the doors and walked to see all of the kingdom’s people crowded outside the gates yelling about. Na Eun could hear their loud screeches.

 “We must see the princess!” a woman said.

 “We have gifts.” an old man with a goat said.

 “We have offerings!” another woman said.

 The guard waved his hands. “Please, you must wait for her to come out and go back to your daily doings.”

 Another man pursued, “But the chapel is ready for her day and we need her now. Bring the princess now!”
 Na Eun had expected this from the people. It was the day of her birth, the day when everyone does everything at her command, even though she says no commands. They would make an altar out of the chapel every year and decorate it with everything she loves, all in the color white. Her sister Se Kyung had joked on her fourteenth birthday, “I wonder how they would do with your funeral.”
 Na Eun softly chuckled at the town’s enthusiastic yelling and commanding her. But they didn’t need to beg to see her anymore. For a woman in a blue and white cotton dress had looked up to see her on the balcony. She gasped, and then smiled brightly. She pointed directly at Na Eun. “There she is,” she screamed. “The princess we have waited all morning for. There she is!” Everyone stopped their yelling to look up and started to scream even louder and all requested for her to come down and greet them. Na Eun smiled. She didn’t want to disappoint her people that wanted so much as to see her on the same level as them. She waved at them and the crowd screamed even louder. “I shall be down there momentarily!” Na Eun scurried out the balcony and could still hear the people’s shouting threw the thick glass doors. She quickly ran down to the lobby, where her parents and sisters were waiting for her. Min Ah chuckled. “Looks like the people are enthusiastic.” Se Kyung chuckled with her. “Time to go to your birthday party.”

 Na Eun nodded. Soon she had to faced the extravagance of her everyday life, just like in every other of her life times. Her mother handed her Na Eun’s favorite white shawl and wrapped it around her shoulders. “Ready to go to your party?” her mother asked softly. Na Eun hesitantly nodded. “Yes mother. I’m ready to go.”

 Leeteuk waved her over. “Let us leave now.” The family gathered, Na Eun at the front of them. The servants opened the doors and the sunlight seemed to automatically hit Na Eun and her sparkling eyes. The crowed spotted her and started to cheer wildly. They waved their hands at her, trying to get her attention. They were holding up their gifts and happy offerings to her. Na Eun smiled. Her sisters told her to look the best when she’s in the presence of the commoners. The family walked forward and the guards outside the gates urged the crowd to back away so they could let the royal family through. As the gates opened they all made a way for the family to go through, but didn’t stop their praising for their beautiful princess. She ran into praises all over and gifts that were trying to be handed to her, but was butted away by some of the guards. Na Eun tried hard to keep her smile on her face. She had smiled too much for these people and yet they never expected much back, for all they had done for her.
 As they gotten closer to the chapel, people were starting to throw flowers to her. Her favorite flower, being white, was baby’s breath. The chapel was large, beautiful with it’s stain glass windows, and was now decorated with all different kinds of flowers. Na Eun noted: baby’s breath, roses, daises, calla lilies, and others that were freshly picked. Even water lilies layed in the bird baths. Two guards quickly raced in front of them to open the doors. Inside the large chapel, the long pews were scooted away to the side near the pillars and tables were set with food and gifts stacked to the ceiling. Even the gift of a horse. And then on the church platform, an enormous cake with white and blue icing had candles already lit. Probably lit by the priest, for he was the one smiling and waiting for the family. He was friends with her father so she knew him very well. Na Eun gasped. Sora walked to her and put her hands upon her shoulders. “It’s wonderful, isn’t it? More grand then last year.” Na Eun had to admit, it was rather more grand then last time. And the time before that. The family entered and soon, jumpy music was being played behind them. Three men playing instruments ran from behind them and continued playing as they went to their spot at the side of the cathedral. At the same time, the towns people entered the chapel in a running motion and was cheering for their princess to come forward. Na Eun stayed glued to her spot and just stared at the urging crowd unmoving. It was all so overwhelming that it made her jump when her father whispered in her ear. “I think they want you to come to your cake.” Na Eun still didn’t move. Leeteuk chuckled. “I think our princess will need some help.”
 And by the surprise, two men came next to her and easily picked her up by her arms. Na Eun blinked from her trance and started to giggle a little. The men gently set her on to the platform and the crowd still went on with their cheering. The priest gave her a warm smile and nodded at her encouragingly. Na Eun looked to her audience. This had to have happened anyway, might as well go for it. After all, this looked like an extravagant birthday party.

                                                                                                 ___________


 Yoona, also known as Venus, stood in her alters for the third time this week. She walked around on the marble floors and looked around at paintings on the walls. Pictures of her and how she was born, her in her dining room, and her holding her son when he was a little baby. Her son is Taemin, his true name Cupid, the god of love. The god of love had been conceived by her, the goddess of love, beauty, , fertility, and prosperity. She was also oh so graceful, beautiful in every way, had talents and power that could blow your mind, and was bowed upon by all the people who believed in the gods powers. She was loved by all, praised and given all the best gifts that she could ever be given. Ever since she was born actually, every one had fallen for her. She didn’t need to try to look her best as one said before, even in rags she could surpass anyone. So she asked herself, why was no one here? Yoona had realized that every year on this day, her temples lay abandoned with no one in sight. Inside or out. It’s been happening for seventeen years now. And every other day, it would only be one or two people here, or no one at all. Yoona stood with her arms crossed. “Why has every gone, ignored my hall of fame for what ever lives they need to run? What is happening? What have I done?” Yoona strutted to the door entrance and looked outside. No one. Deserted. She huffed, “Let’s see what these people have to deal with.”
 Yoona took a step back and with a flick of her finger, and flash of light, she was changed into a young mortal girl. A girl not as beautiful as her normal self but still quite pretty more then others. She carefully closed the stone door to her alter and quickly scampered from the alter and down the forest trail. The forest trail led right to the town that her people lived. The people that use to praise her, and now, still no where to be seen. Yoona furrowed her brows. “Where is everyone?” She walked along the streets, not seeing a single person walking around. For some reason, it was deathly quiet. No chatter, no sound of shoes clattering on the pavement, just her and the birds flying over head. This was starting to get a little scary. Had something happened that she had missed? Or that some one had yet to tell her? That all her people had not only abandoned her alters, but her city to? But then, her heart started to slow and turn back to normal. She saw a woman and man walking hand in hand, each holding a box with gift wrap on them. White gift wrap. What a strange choice. Yoona quickly ran to them and walked beside them. The couple stopped and bowed slightly to her. Yoona bowed back. “Good afternoon. Sorry to bother you young couple, but may I ask, where is everybody?”

 “You mean you don’t know?” the woman asked, furrowing her brows. Yoona slowly shook her head. “I. . . I am not from here.”

 The man nodded in understanding. “Ah, we understand, understand.” the man coughed. “You see here, it’s our princesses birthday today. We were just on our way now.”
 “We are late though.” the woman said. “My husband and I had some extra work to do, so the party might have already started. Come, we’ll take you.”

 Yoona said nothing as the three started to walk quickly down the street. Yoona started to ask more questions. “So, I’ve heard from a friend, from here, that you have alters for Venus, the goddess. But, they always seem to be empty most of the time, especially on this day. What is so special about the princesses birthday?”

 The woman chuckled. “Ah, I could say something about it, but your going to have to see it to believe it.”

 Yoona furrowed her brows. “Huh?”
 The man smiled to her. “It is rather hard to express in words about the princess. So, young lady, we shall take you to see her yourself.”
 Hard to express in words? Yoona nearly gasped. Would this princess have overpowered her some how? Have taken her fame and claimed it as her own? Yoona can’t react so quickly right now. After all, it’s what the couple said, she would have to wait and to see it to believe it.

 After a while of walking, Yoona and the couple had arrived at the front of the old chapel. The chapel was different though. There were strewn flowers and chaplets all over the door and the rest of the building, and there was the sound of an instrument inside. A lovely melody of an oboe was being played. Nothing by the music. People were still be deathly silent. The cathedral was huge, so everyone must have been in there. The man sighed contently. “We have not missed the princesses beautiful solo. Let us hurry inside before it ends.” Yoona ushered behind them and they quietly enter through the doors, trying not to disturb the music and make noise. Although, that couldn’t have been hard. No one had paid them any attention as they entered. As soon as they entered, Yoona saw the couple was already enraptured by the source of the oboe. The woman had to tear her eyes away from the stage and look at Yoona. “Can you see?” she asked. Yoona looked forward. In fact, she can’t. Everyone was so much taller then her. The woman grabbed her hand and together with her partner they walked closer to the stage, closer to the beautiful melody of the music. Yoona still couldn’t see, but she swore she saw a glint of black hair and marble skin. Yoona widened her eyes. Could it be? “No. . .” she muttered. “No way. . .”
 “Yes.” the woman whispered. She smiled encouragingly and they kept moving. Now they were at the side of the crowd. The couple put their presents down on the table with the rest of the presents. Yoona looked up and up and up. The presents were endless. One false move could make the whole hill tumble down. Then Yoona turned. The couple was enraptured again. The person on the stage was in full view now. Yoona looked at the person, and froze. She couldn’t stop staring. It was so surprising, her beauty. Long soft black hair. A long and silky white dress with a matching white shawl. Her pink, plump lips puckered upon the piece of the oboe, and blowing out the most beautiful song she could hear. Yoona recognize the piece. The dance of the sugar plum fairy. Many people play the piece during ballet. But none play it so beautifully. Yoona had to admit it. She looked more beautiful then everyone else. Maybe even her. . . . No! She will not fall for this girls spell like everyone else! Yoona tore her eyes away from her and looked at the crowd. They only paid attention to the princess. No wonder her alters were so empty all this time. Some kind of other beauty had entered into the world and replaced her. Yoona now haughtily crossed her arms and glared at the girl. This is the reason why no one is praising her no more. Some mortal girl has taken her place. She continued glaring at her until the song had come to a fading stop and the princess lowered her instrument. The crowd cheered loudly, nearly busting Yoona’s ear drums. The couple beside her happily clapped their hands and cheered for her. The princess repeatedly bowed to the audience, which only aroused more noise. Such a strange reaction she can create.

 A man in white and red robs now stood next to the girl. He continued clapping for a moment and then waved his hands for the crowd to calm down. The crowd slowly quieted down. “Now,” the priest started. “that was amazing wasn’t it. Now that the princesses song has ended, I think it’s time to present the lovely cake.” The crowed clapped. They would clap for anything would they?
 Two men gently pushed the table with a large and highly decorated cake. One of the men gently took the princesses hand and led her behind the cake. Yoona could see his face red with happiness, and then other men’s faces red with envy. This girl can cause envy!

 The girl stepped open and block so every could see her face. The princess and folded her hands together and closed her hands as she made a wish. Everyone else did the same. The woman beside Yoona nudged her when she didn’t follow. She leaned in close and whispered. “As the princess makes her wish, we pray to the gods it comes true.” The woman went back to her stance and Yoona grumpily followed. She didn’t close her eyes as everyone else did. Instead she fixed her eyes on the princess and saw that the she was silently moving her lips in making a wish, while other prayed for her. Yoona huffed. All of this for this mortal princess. Yoona in fact almost disgusted her. Then, Yoona saw the girls eyes slowly open, but her lips still moving. She looked around the room and finally, made eye contact with Yoona. Eye contact for only a brief second before the princess closed her eyes again. Yoona couldn’t tell, but she thought she could see a bit of sadness in her eyes. What was that?

 The princess opened her eyes, as everyone did also. The princess blew out all of her candles, and the crowd erupted with cheers. A girl in a puffy pink dress came up to the cake and wiped icing on to the girls nose. The princess laughed. Another girl in a blue dress wiped icing on her forehead. The looked to be really close. They were either long friends, or close sisters. The priest next to them chuckled. “Ah so wonderful you are, princess Na Eun.” The princess, Na Eun, bowed to him. “Thank you, sir.” She has manners, Yoona thought. Surprise, surprise.

 The priest nodded and happily clasped his hands. “Might I say, I hope that your beauty will surpass everything as the time goes by.”

 The girl in the blue dress and jet black hair scoffed. “Of course it will! Our little sister has got beauty that will blow your mind.”

 The one in the pink dress nodded. “Yes of course. You might even say she could be the Venus of our world.”
 The priest nodded. “Actually yes. Na Eun, you are the Venus of our world!”
 The crowd cheered loudly, and Yoona could have sworn she heard a wolf whistle. Na Eun furrowed her brows at the comment, but still continued to keep the smile on her face.

 Yoona suddenly went from beating jealousy to searing anger. How dare these people call her Venus? She is the one and only Venus! These people shall see who is the real beauty of the world. In fact, they had until this moll of a princess entered the world. She has deliberately taken her spot in being the goddess of beauty and let these people call her who she truly not is.
 Music had started out of no where and every ushered the princess off the platform to dance. A man in a suit and looked about his early thirties take Na Eun’s hand and they ran to the center of the floor. They started to playfully dance together while everyone else joined in, giving enough space to the two royals on the floor. Even the couple that had taken Yoona to the church had forgotten about her and started dancing along with the music. Yoona madly stomped her foot and started to march out of the chapel. With her mad strength, she loudly shut the door of the chapel, but still thought that that didn’t even disturb the fun inside there. She started pacing and rubbed madly at her scalp. “How could. . . she just. . . why would. . .” Yoona grunted loudly and started to strut away from the chapel. She wanted to get out of here fast. As she walked on, her true form slowly took shape and by the time she was back inside her temple, she was normal Yoona again. But with a different emotion of when before she had come. Be fore, she felt confusion and sadness, sadness of why every had abandoned her and her alters. Now, she felt a mix of emotions; anger, confusion, jealousy, all of it jumbled into maddening rage. Yoona gritted her teeth. “Am I then to be eclipsed in my honors by a mortal girl? In vain then did that royal shepherd, whose judgment was approved by Jove himself, give me the palm of beauty over my illustrious rivals, Pallas and Juno. But she shall not so quietly usurp my honors. I will give her cause to repent of so unlawful a beauty."