Baby Steps

Agent 143

Taecyeon’s lips curled into a smile when Yoona was blushing before him. She stood up quickly, facing to another direction. Taecyeon sighed as he picked up Yoona’s name tag in his hands. Running his fingers through it, he smiled in accomplishment. He was the first one to defeat her. Yoona cleared , facing Taecyeon again while sticking out his arm towards him.

“Good job,” she smiled slightly.

Taecyeon shook her hand. “You too.”

Jaesuk pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, gripping the mic in his hand. The glowing maze vanished before their eyes. “Agents please congratulate agent 1227, your spy of the year!” The agents voiced soared as they cheered and clapped for Taecyeon who bowed and waved back at them. The round up has come to an end, with the agents returning to their zones. Taecyeon took a moment to stare at his picture up the hall of fame. His frame was right next to Chansung’s.

“Guess I’m walking on a right path,” Taecyeon crossed his arms, smiling at his personally earned title. He strolled back to the red zone, only to get buzzed with questions from Chansung and Sooyoung. “Woah, woah guys! I know I’m awesome but let’s talk this out on the couch.”

“So what exactly happened to you two, that made you the winner?” Chansung asked.

Sooyoung hung her arm around Chansung’s shoulder, leaning her head towards the guys. “Anything spicy happened in the maze, hm?” she said with a smirk. “Tell us in detail Taec!”

Taecyeon shook his head, chuckling. “You guys are insane. No we didn’t do anything weird in the maze just so you know. First of all a guy named Minho was the one who wanted my name tag off. Second of all Yoona’s ripped his name tag off, causing me in a state of shock. Lastly, Yoona pushed down the ground and got us into a staring contest which I took as an opportunity to rip her name tag off. She was about to rip mine off but god knows why I’m handsome to look at,” he grinned, folding his right leg over his left. Sooyoung and Chansung laughed their heads off with his joke.

“You’re the one who’s supposed to fall for her trap not the other way around!”

“I did fall for her!” both of them turned to Taecyeon, raising their eyebrows at him.

“What?” Sooyoung poked the inside of her cheek with her tongue. “Can you repeat what you just said Taecyeon?”

Taecyeon drew his head back, laughing nervously. “Oh no, no, no. I meant I fell for her trap in the game as the tactic she would use,” he ended off with a lame excuse. Oh the lies Taecyeon could say. Yes, he said a lie. He did fall for Yoona already, just too stubborn to admit his true feelings.

“Right, a tactic,” Chansung winked. “Well then anyway! We should celebrate!”

Sooyoung stood up and headed over to her desk. Picking up four movie ticktes, she wagged it in front of Taecyeon’s face. “We decided to celebrate by going to the movies tonight! Me, you, Chansung and Yoona!” she gladly handed the ticket which Taecyeon accepted without a choice.

“I heard my name,” the three of them stood still in their positions when Yoona came back from her room. “What’s going on?”

“Oh Yoona! We’re going to the movies to celebrate,” Sooyoung handed her one ticket. Yoona glanced at it momentarily and picked it from Sooyoung’s hand. “Great, let Taecyeon drive us there. You okay with that mister spy of the year?” Yoona threw him a quick glance. 

“No problem miss bossy,” he replied.

 

Taecyeon parked the car at the second floor of the mall’s parking lot. The four of them made their way to the theatres. Chansung and Taecyeon waited for the girls who went off to buy some popcorn and drinks.

“Let’s go!” Sooyoung rushed in the theatre first, followed by the rest. Chansung caught Sooyoung’s signal as he sat next to her in a hurry. Most of the seats in the middle and the left side of the theatre were occupied and the only seats available were at the right side. The seats were only for pairs of two in the column. Yoona halted in her tracks when Sooyoung and Chansung settled into their own seats, happily sharing the bucket of popcorn.

“Come on I’ll take it, you take the sodas,” Taecyeon snatched the popcorn away from Yoona which left her in a blank stare. “Want to sit inside?”

Yoona sighed, nodding her head. “Sure, thanks.”

Taecyeon smiled to himself when Yoona sat down comfortably in her seat. He placed the popcorn on both of their arm rests, so it wouldn’t fall off. He let out a sigh, noticing how his heart rate rapidly increased when he sat next to her. Lights flicked off as the movie began. As cliché as it could get, Chansung and Sooyoung booked a romantic type of movie on purpose, for Taecyeon and Yoona’s sake. They hoped they could dig out some feelings in between them with the random plans they come up with. So as the movie started, Sooyoung stole some glances in between scenes. Luckily they were behind Taecyeon and Yoona, allowing them to watch the two interact secretly. But it didn’t last for long until Sooyoung was completely into in the movie, she didn’t notice the little interactions between the couple in front of them. Taecyeon swallowed hard when the screen showed a kissing scene between the two lovers. He took a sip from his soda, peeking nervously at Yoona who was eventually engrossed in the movie as well. Just then, Taecyeon dipped his hand into the bucket of popcorn but stopped when his hand came into contact with Yoona’s. Their eyes automatically went up, gazing into each other longingly. Taecyeon watched her eyes twinkle from the light that illuminated from the screen. He swore his heartbeat skipped like crazy, as withdrew his hand back. Yoona’s cheeks flushed red when Taecyeon looked away, feeling the same as him. Both hearts throbbed anxiously with mixed emotions being felt. Realization hit them hard when they felt themselves falling for the other. But were they ready to confess their feelings to each other? Taecyeon had this urge to confront Yoona, but will she accept him? Yoona on the other hand, hesitated whether she even felt something for Taecyeon. She was in a state of denial all over again. Didn’t even think she was ready to be with someone this time but of course, her heart has passed that stage.

Credits scrolled up the screen as the people headed for the exit. Chansung handed his handkerchief to Sooyoung who was apparently too absorbed in the movie that she sobbed at the ending. Taecyeon awkwardly turned to Yoona, flustered to see her staring at him.

“How’s the movie guys?” Chansung tapped onto Taecyeon’s shoulder. “Was it good?”

“Oh yeah,” Taecyeon answered, a little lost for a second. Creasing his brows when he heard light whimpers from Sooyoung. “Why is she crying?”

Chansung chuckled as he Sooyoung’s back gently. “She was totally into the movie. Well it’s past ten, let’s go back.”

They reached the Espionage, the girls were half-asleep while the guys yawned.

“Taec, it’s getting late. Why don’t you sleep with us in our dorm?” Chansung suggested.

Taecyeon slipped his hands into his pocket, contemplating. “Have enough room?”

“There’s two bunk beds in our dorm and Yoona’s sleeping in her own room. So I guess there’s plenty of room for you.”

“Okay I’ll be sleeping in then.”

 

Chansung lifted up Sooyoung in his arms as she was already snoring away in the car. Taecyeon decided to Yoona back in their zone. Hearing Taecyeon’s footsteps, Yoona turned around abruptly, gasping when Taecyeon was too close to her.

“What are you doing?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Just getting something from our zone. Is there something wrong?”

“Oh,” she turned away, walking forward. Taecyeon smiled at her. He went to grab his bag from his desk and marched towards the doors again. “Yoona,” he stopped right before she went inside her room, grabbing her arm carefully and looked into her eyes. Yoona’s heart was caught in when his face was inches away.

“What?” she barely said the words coming from , obviously stunned at his sudden approach.

Taecyeon blinked a couple of time before letting go. “Nothing. I just wanted to say goodnight.”

Her gaze fell onto the floor. “Then goodnight to you too,” she whispered before shutting the door behind her. Taecyeon sighed, failing everytime to say something to her when they’re caught up in that position. He trudged to the dorm where he found Sooyoung sleeping pleasantly below and Chansung sleeping on the top bunk. The lamp was left on right next to his bunk. He took his jacket and shoes off and layed on the bed quietly. Silence brought him to thinking.

“Im Yoona, stop invading my mind,” he mumbled before drifting off to sleep.

 

There were no missions assigned by the chief from the following week. Instead, a special day came. Taecyeon decided to move in to the dorm for the time being since it costed him extra gas to travel to and fro the headquarters from his home. It might seem like a typical Friday on going, but Taecyeon searched for Yoona in the Espionage but with no luck. Marching back to their zone he flopped himself down the couch, sighing in frustration.

“Why the long face?” Chansung sat next to him while holding a cup of coffee.

Taecyeon scoffed, “Where’s Yoona? Can’t seem to find her anywhere.”

“You look desperate,” Chansung teased, smiling. “And why is that?”

“Isn’t it her birthday today?”

“Aha seem like you wanted to greet her first now do we? That’s okay Taecyeon, no prize for the early bird,” Taecyeon hissed at Chansung's teasing comment, giving him a glare.

“Seriously where is she?”

Chansung picked up the morning paper and read the headline. “You won’t be able to find her in the headquarters. She’s always out every time it’s her birthday.”

“Where did she go?”

“Well according to Yoona’s traditions on her birthday, she hangs out with her bestfriends in town. Probably having fun at a theme park, going shopping and all those stuff that girls do.”

“She has bestfriends?” Taecyeon rose his head in disbelief. “I thought you two were her bestfriends.”

Chansung chuckled. “Yoona has a life too Taec. Isolating herself from others here in the Espionage, doesn’t mean she’s completely anti-social. In fact the friends she hangs out with are much closer to her than she is with us. It’s a bestfriend motto thing which I don’t really know.”

“Who are they? Does she have any best guy friend too?”

“Apparently she hangs out with only two girls but no, she doesn’t have a guy friend. Her two bestfriends own a coffee shop, Yoona drops a visit once in a while when she’s free.”

Taecyeon hesitated to ask where she was. “Where’s the coffee shop?”

“Are you planning to stalk her today Taecyeon?” Chansung shook his head. “If you’re planning on that I wish you a good luck because you wouldn’t want to ruin Yoona’s mood on her birthday.”

“Yeah whatever Chansung, just give me the address.”

 

Teacyeon pulled in at the side of the road as he shut the door behind him, locking his car after. He fished out his phone, and read the information about the location of the coffee shop. To his luck, he was familiar with the surroundings. Then he realized as he turned to the opposite direction of the cofee shop, it was his bestfriends’ pizza place who served as delivery boys.

“Fate’s on my side today,” he smirked, skipping to the pizza place to check whether his buddies were present. Taecyeon stopped in his tracks once he recognized a face through the glass doors. His mouth hung open when he saw Yoona laughing along with two other girls. He turned around running his fingers through his hair, thinking this was too surreal. It’s as if the scenarios in his head came to life.

“Taec!” a voice broke his thoughts, causing him to look up and smile. Nichkhun and Wooyoung ran to him, both were unexpectedly in casual clothes. Gave each other the usual bro hugs and greetings, Taecyeon was far more pleased to have these two with him.

“What are you doing in our place bro?” Nichkhun asked.

“Missing us lately?” Wooyoung high-fived with Khun. Taecyeon groaned in response. “No guys I wasn’t missing you.”

Wooyoung pretended to be hurt with his reply. “Ouch Taec you’re being the big old meanie again.”

Nichkhun agreed with Wooyoung. “Same old same old huh?”

“Whatever,” Taecyeon scratched his head. “Look I want to tell you guys something and go according to my plan okay?”

“What is it now Taec?”

Taecyeon hung his arms around Nichkhun and Wooyoung’s shoulders, whispering his witty plan to them in detail. Wooyoung snickered, noticing how Taecyeon never got rid of his childish acts.

“I know Khun, he really is the same old same old.”

“Come on! Just play along with me. It’s the first time I’m nervous around a girl so help me out,” Taecyeon said softly, his face reddening.

Nichkhun laughed. “Taecyeon finally being a serious guy huh? Nervous around a girl? Definitely unheard of.”

Taecyeon rolled his eyes, sighing dramatically. “Okay let’s go in and stay cool.”

Nichkhun and Wooyoung followed behind Taecyeon who proudly swung the door open, marching in with confidence. Taecyeon put on a firm smile, heading to the counter as he pretended to ignore Yoona from the side. Catwalking down the checkered floors probably caught everyone’s attention in the diner, that NIchkhun felt a little embarrassed but he kept a high and calm posture.

Yoona stopped her sentence mid-way as her eyes diverted to a man who was walking to the front with confidence. agape, her eyes stuck onto his figure. Her bestfriends, Taeyeon and Yuri followed Yoona’s gaze not understanding what’s going on. Yoona exhaled in exasperation, her nostrils flaring. Taecyeon just couldn’t leave her alone now can he? She crossed her arms as she watched him laugh along with his two buddies.

“Yoona, what’s wrong?” Yuri poked her arm in confusion.

“Oh I just–” her sentence was cut off with Taecyeon’s voice. “Well look what we have here, Im Yoona hanging out with her girlfriends,” Taecyeon smiled, standing in front of their table.

Taeyeon and Yuri turned to Yoona who was covering her face with her hands. “Yoona who’s this guy? You know him?”

“Hey Taec! What’s your order? Oh! Hey there girls,” Wooyoung waved his hand at Yuri while he winked at Taeyeon. Nichkhun joined in the fun as he pretended as well, “What a surprise, hey Taeyeon, Yul.”

Yoona and Taecyeon took a moment to realize that everyone knew each other already. Taecyeon rubbed his hands together, his plan carrying on well. “Hey hey hey, so I conclude all of us pretty much know each other right? Why don’t we join you girls? You know what they say, the more the merrier!”

Before Yoona could protest, Taeyeon and Yuri nodded their heads as they sat at the other side for the boys to sit. Taecyeon slid in next to Nichkhun as he was facing a furious Yoona in front of him. All of them agreed on a hawaiian pizza, in the meantime they were caught up in a conversation.

“I’m Ok Taecyeon by the way, pleasure to meet you ladies,” Taecyeon bowed his head slightly.

“Ah you’re Yoona’s new partner?” Yuri asked, receiving a hit from Yoona.

Taecyeon shifted in his seat a smile crept up his face. “So Yoona talked about me huh?” he said glancing at Yoona.

“Oh God have mercy on me,” Yoona mumbled as she turned away from Taecyeon’s gaze, shrinking in her seat. She didn’t expect it would be this embarrassing on her birthday. “Taecyeon this is Yuri and Taeyeon,” she gestured at the two young ladies beside her.

“Yoona these are Nichkhun and Wooyoung, my partners in crime,” Taecyeon did the same. “And guys it’s Yoona’s birthday by the way. Greet her please.”

Yoona switched her glance at Taecyeon who was smiling warmly at her. “Happy Birthday Yoona! Don’t worry pizza’s on us,” Nichkhun and Wooyoung grinned.

Yuri and Taeyeon giggled, “You two are finally treating us. How generous of you after three weeks,” they accused.

“Calm down girls at least we’re repaying now.”

“Thank you,” Yoona flashed a smile at the boys. Nichkhun and Wooyoung acted to swoon over her charms. “You’re really pretty!”

“Okay calm down boys,” Taecyeon eyed on them with an accusing glare. “Aren’t you gonna tell me how you met and stuff?”

“We met them when Khun and I went for coffee,” Wooyoung said as he sipped on his soda. “And then we began falling for them eventually.” Everyone stared at Wooyoung with alert in their eyes, regarding to his last sentence. “I mean, we got along well! Gosh, stop it with those stares.”

Taecyeon smirked, “I see. Now wonder all of you are comfortable with each other. Right Yoona?”

Yoona stared blankly at him, “Huh? Oh of course, yeah,” unsure what he was trying to mean.

Pizza was served, everyone indulged in their food with hungrily. In between eating, they chatted and laughed at some jokes the guys crack up. As they touched on the topic of friendship, Taecyeon and Yoona learned something new from each other. After eating, they played around in the park, went out shopping and strolled along the crowded streets. Lastly, they entered a large picture booth which was made for people in large groups. The six of them squeezed in the booth, posing in enthusiasm. Yuri suggested that they should pair up and take a couple picture too. Of course, Yoona was left with no choice but to go with Taecyeon. If they could they would be nominated for South Korea’s top couple, regarding the number of times they had to pair up.  

“No bunny ears behind me,” Taecyeon warned which made Yoona smile. “There you go! Smile more Yoona.”

Yuri didn’t just suggest the idea but went along with Nichkhun’s plan to push Taecyeon closer to Yoona and the fact that she knew Taeyeon wanted a picture with Wooyoung together. A couple of more takes, they went through their photos. Taecyeon secretly cut off a picture of him and Yoona smiling. He wasn’t alone since Yoona did the same, the same goes for the other four. Each keeped at least two group and couple photos. When evening came, Nichkhun and Wooyoung politely asked if they could Yuri and Taeyeon back home.

“Bye Taec! And happy birthday again Yoona!” Nichkhun said as he hopped in the driver’s seat. Wooyoung said the same as he sat next to Nichkhun.

Yuri hugged Yoona tightly before going off. “Happy Birthday Yoong! Hoped you had fun today,” she smiled. Taeyeon Yoona’s hair and grinned. “Call us again soon okay? We need another meet up like this.”

Yoona hugged both of them, grinning widely. “Thank you girls, missing you already! Okay we should meet up again soon.”

“Bye Taecyeon! Take care of our Yoongie okay?” the girls chuckled, sliding in the backseat of Nichkhun’s car. They drove off after bidding their goodbyes.

“You had fun?” Yoona turned to Taecyeon who had his hands in his pockets, staring at her with soft eyes. She smacked his arm, taunting him. “You just had to ruin my day don’t you?”

He laughed, taking a step closer. “Always an honor to ruin your day.” They laughed again, both standing alone in the streets. “Wanna go somewhere before going back to the headquarters?”

“A walk at the Han River would be nice,” she said not looking at him in the eye. Luckily the Han River was close to the Espionage, making it easier for them to return to the headquarters. Taecyeon and Yoona walked side by side in silence as the wind blew in the faces while the trees danced along with it. It was quite romantic since it was only the two of them sauntering by the river. Yoona paused and rested her arms at the railings, observing the river flowing calmly. Taecyeon stood beside her, copying her actions.

“Didn’t know you like to go hiking and fishing,” she started off.

“Well I grew up doing them with my father,” he said. “Didn’t know you bake and dance.”

“I was a little bored back then.”

He scoffed. “Turning them into natural talents.”

“Yeah pretty much,” she stifled a chuckle. “Thank you for today,” she bit her lip, peeking at his face for a second. Taecyeon curled his lips into a smile. “You’re welcome, I didn’t expect it would be this crazy.”

“Me too,” she agreed.

Taecyeon took this chance to create his moment. He took a deep breath before facing his body to Yoona. “Yoona, I actually have a gift. Can I give it to you?”

Yoona turned to face him, looking at him innocently. “What is it?” The second Taecyeon laid his eyes on her, his heart skipped a beat. Thinking she wouldn’t reject his gift he decided to make a go for it. He leaned his head forward and closed his eyes shut when his lips found hers. Yoona’s eyes twiced its size when she felt Taecyeon’s warm and soft lips lying upon hers. Sinking into the feeling, her eyes fluttered shut as her heartbeat increased its pace. She was too stunned to react, only standing there unable to believe what was happening. Taecyeon pulled away carefully, observing her reaction. Yoona caught up with his gaze, swearing her heart was popping out of her chest any moment. Taecyeon stared at her with awe, smiling with content.

“Happy Birthday Yoona.”


I think it's time for them to be together?! Hahaha ^^

thank you for the motivating comments, upvotes and subscriptions! you guys are awesome! :)