Police to Spy

Agent 143

“Better luck next time buddy, and please, no one wears a mask anymore. Just sayin',” Taecyeon secured the robber’s handcuffs sending him away to the car. The lady bowed to him out of respect, grateful for his help.

“Thank you so much officer!”

He flashed a grin. “Just doing my job miss,” throwing a wink as he bit his lower lip, “Giving me your number would be a good repayment.” The lady blushed, tucking her hair behind her ear.

“Okay lover boy, we gotta go,” Yonghwa bowed to the lady before pulling Taecyeon with him. The two of them drove back to the police station. The robber was put behind bars after the chief’s approval. Taecyeon and Yonghwa sat at their desks, munching away the donuts they had bought.

“You have yet to ask her to be your girlfriend?” Yonghwa questioned.

Taecyeon chewed while staring at his phone. “I’m waiting for the right time.”

“What’s there to wait for?”

“I don’t know man, I’m kinda busy right now. I don’t wanna let Jessica’s hopes down.”

Yonghwa snickered. “Is it because you’re still hitting on other ladies?”

“Not really. Though that’s an option for me,” he smirked. “What about you?”

“Nah not much. Seohyun’s busy studying but we meet up on my day offs.”

“Back then, I can’t even stand listening in class for an hour. Gosh dude how did you even like her?”

“Hey don’t be so mean Taec. She’s a sweet and modest girl.”

Taecyeon stood up and threw the box of donuts into the bin. “Drag her to a club one day, I bet she’ll get her head out of those books.”

“Taecyeon!” The boys jerked from their seats at Chief Park’s voice. “Come to my office please.”

Yonghwa placed his hand on his chest. “He scared me.”

“Me too, I’ll be right back.” Taecyeon skipped to chief’s office right away. “What is it sir? Am I in trouble?”

Park Jinyoung pulled out a file from his drawer and handed it to him. “Sit down.” Obeying the chief, Taecyeon curiously glanced at the file. “What’s this sir?”

“It’s about time you get a promotion. Look through the file and see for yourself,” the chief instructed.

Taking the file in his hands, he took out pieces of paper with his past records and information. Taecyeon’s eyes twiced the size as he read his promotion status. Ok Taecyeon officially promoted to an undercover agent at Seoul’s Espionage Headquarters.

“Spy?”

“Yes, a spy.”

“But I don’t really have an intention to become a spy, sir, being a police is satisfactory to me.”

“Taecyeon, I want you to take this opportunity. Being promoted to a spy is an offer you should consider. Once in a lifetime chance, they never come by again.”

“Why a spy though? Why not your position, head of the police department?”

“Ah yes, I almost forgot. The chief of the headquarters had been watching you and personally invited you to become a member of theirs. He’ll be expecting your presence tomorrow morning.”

Taecyeon browsed through his application, scratching the nape of his neck. “I don’t know sir…”

Chief Park stood up from his chair and patted Taecyeon’s shoulder. “Go Taecyeon. I know you’ve been working here for five years and you never failed me. I want to thank you for your services and I know you won’t regret this. Make me proud,” Taecyeon nodded, shaking hands with him.

“Thanks sir.”

“No problem, now go,” the chief paused for a while, “Wait Taecyeon!”

“Yes sir?”

“This is strictly confidential, please do not spread a word about the headquarters.”

“My lips are sealed chief.”

Taecyeon left the chief’s office, making his way to his desk to clear out his stuff. Yonghwa sighed when he heard about his promotion.

“Are you really gonna do this Taec?”

“I’m taking chances Yonghwa, just like always.”

“Well be sure to hang out sometimes and I’ll miss you bro,” Yonghwa smiled, giving Taecyeon a friendly hug. “Take care alright?”

“24/7,” Taecyeon replied. He marched back to his apartment, settling the stuff in his living room. He took a closer look at his applications.

“A spy,” he sighed, “Never thought of being one.”

 

Taecyeon drove to the location of the headquarters, found near the Han River. He rose an eyebrow when he parked at an eerie parking lot in front of the building. He checked his teeth and hair in the rear view mirror, ensuring he was appearing fine. As he got off his car, he paced to the main entrance, feeling a little nervous. Spotting a man at the front desk, he tightened his grip onto his suitcase.

“Welcome to Seoul’s National Police Headquarters, may I help you?” the young man smiled.

“Police? I thought this was a spy– ”

“Identification please,” the man demanded.

Taecyeon blankly stared at him before clearing his throat, thinking of his response. “I’m sorry I’m new here. Your chief invited me.”

“Oh…please wait a moment.” Taecyeon watched him grab the phone and mumbled something inaudible. “Are you Ok Taecyeon?”

“Yes.”

The young man shifted to the side and bowed. “I’m Song Joongki, the chief’s assistant. Please follow me.”

A queer feeling built up inside Taecyeon as he quietly marched behind Joongki, figuring out where he was taking him. They walked briskly along a stretched hallway before entering an elevator. Joongki pressed countless of buttons which made the elevator move forward instead of upwards. Taecyeon held onto the railing, aware of the movement. He was confused since there were no wires present ahead of them that connected to the elevator nor a building. “Strange,” he thought. They alighted from the elevator a minute later met another outstretched hallway and a door at the far end. Taecyeon swallowed hard when Joongki swung the door open, revealing a modern-looking office. Almost all the furniture in the room were in shades of black and white.

“The chief will come in a moment. You may take a seat while waiting for him, Mr Ok.”

“Thank you Joongki,” Taecyeon said as he sat down on a white sofa. Joongki left the office, leaving him all alone. “This place really is for spies. Everything’s so secretive,” he muttered to himself. Just then, the doors on the opposite side flung open which made Taecyeon bolt up in his seat. A man who wore black spectacles and a black suit stood at the door, grinning.

“Taecyeon! I’ve finally got a chance to meet you,” a man who was in his early 40s beamed, greeting Taecyeon eagerly. “I’m Yoo Jaesuk, Chief of the Espionage.”

Taecyeon smiled, shaking both hands with him. “Pleasure to meet you Mr Yoo.”

“Call me Chief. Sit down, please,” Jaesuk said, walking over to his white swivel chair. Taecyeon sat on the black leathered chair, directly facing his new chief. He handed over his applications which Jaesuk accepted in satisfaction. “Alright Taecyeon let me ask you some questions before we can proceed. Tell me about yourself.” 

“I’m Ok Taecyeon, 27 years old, a police officer for about five years, I have an older sister, loving parents and that’s pretty much it.”

“What do you think your qualities are?”

“Brave, strong, vigilant,” he said without hesitation.

Jaesuk smiled. “You’re quite straightforward. A spy I would gladly take in. Have you ever experienced going undercover?”

“No chief…it’s my first time.”

“For our sake, being undercover can be very crucial. Spies are always considered as the bad guys but we’re exceptional. We joined forces with the police officers to track down suspects whom are difficult to chase. Our identities are always concealed and we make sure our agents are in prompt disguise. Some of the spies go on easy missions some don’t. The harder your mission is, the greater of having chances of you coming out on top, which is rare for most of the agents. Our mission is to protect the citizens, keeping them away from harm by picking out the bad guys. We’ve been running the headquarters for almost twenty years and we’re still concealed from the people. Are you willing to grab challenges Taecyeon?”

“Of course, that’s what I always do. I’ll try my best chief.”  

“Good. So how do you feel coming here?”

“Strange,” Taecyeon confessed. “…and very top secret material.”

Jaesuk let out a chuckle. “Common answers. You better get used to being top secret then?”

“I guess so…but I have a question.”

“Go ahead.”

“Why did you personally invite me here?”

“I’ve been watching you Taecyeon and your skills are impressive. Only a little more practice would make you a top agent in the headquarters. Please do keep in mind, I don’t just recruit anyone out there so you should consider yourself special.”

“Watching me?”

“We're considered as the eyes and the ears of Seoul so what gets around, comes around.”

Taecyeon smiled. “Awesome.”

“Now let’s not waste time. I must introduce you to my agents as well as how things work here. Come with me! You’ll find it fun here.” Jaesuk gestured for Taecyeon to go first while he was behind him. Once Taecyeon stepped out of the room, his mouth parted while his eyes took in the circumstances.

“Woah.”