Baker's Revenge I

Agent 143

Lunch was over, agents hurried back to their zones. Jaesuk called in the Spyro, assigning their mission.

“Agents, I have a new mission for you,” he stood up and turned the screen on, the lights flicked off automatically. The four of them sat on the chairs, facing the screen. A picture of a man appeared with his name on the stated on the side.

“Our Aces have been on patrol lately and they have received a report from a witness that this man, or should I say a baker, has been found selling drugs and  is involved in food poisoning. I would like you to track his whereabouts, find more info and capture this suspect,” Jaesuk ordered while Sooyoung was engrossed in scribbling things into her notebook, the other three nodding obediently. “Taecyeon! It’s your first mission so make it count, agent 1227.”

“Won’t let you down chief,” Taecyeon assured.

“Let’s go guys,” Yoona said, walking back to their zone to prepare for the mission. All four of them gathered around a table, discussing their plans on carrying out the mission. Taecyeon sat quietly, listening and observing his team, figuring out their roles. Yoona portrayed the leader, she was in charge of all the plans being decided and the one who captured their main target. Sooyoung has the role of a distractor. She was a one who checked on the target’s background profile and any necessary information by disguise. Chansung was the engineer, in charge of providing tools for the team with gadgets or hidden cameras.

“And as for you Mr Ok,” Taecyeon turned his attention to Yoona who was staring intently at him. “You’ll be the back-up.”

“What? Back-up?”

“You’re Yoona’s sidekick, well kind of,” Sooyoung smiled.

Taecyeon creased his brows. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

“You just have to do whatever I say,” Yoona snapped, “Okay so here’s the plan–”

“But I want some real action! I don’t want to be a standby and do nothing,” Taecyeon said a little loudly, he caused them to stop and stare at him. Yoona went over to his side and leaned closer to him, their faces inches away. Even though she appeared fierce, she was too attractive in his eyes, she made his adam’s apple rise and drop. “Mr Ok, I think you may have forgotten that you’re new. I don’t tolerate anyone who mess up our missions. So if you may please, don’t make yourself a black hole or you’ll be dealing with me. Do I make myself clear?” she whispered, her breath tickled his cheeks, the more she lean in, the faster his heartbeat skipped. Taecyeon nodded, “Crystal clear,” blushing a little as he returned to being quiet again.

“Soooyoung, you’ll be in disguise as a food critic so you can gain access to his profile. Chansung will help you with the cameras, you just need to plot them in his office and check if there’s anything related to his crime. Once we receive all of his information, I’ll figure out what he’s up to and who his victim is. We’ll carry on from there so it’s about noon now, the bakery’s open. Let’s get moving,” Yoona announced them to split up as Chansung and Sooyoung prepared their stuff in a hurry. Taecyeon sighed, browsing through the file of the suspect, sitting by himself at the table. Yoona placed her laptop on the table, pausing when she noticed Taecyeon absentmindedly flipping through the target’s profile. She sighed, knowing she should at least know what’s going on or participate in the team.

“Mr Ok.”

Taecyeon turned his head to the left, paying his attention to Yoona. “What?”

“I think you should know what we’re doing or at least get the idea of our strategy.”

“I get what you guys are doing, it’s just…it’s kind of confusing at the same time. I’ve never went undercover.”

Yoona pursed her lips, feeling his emptiness. She closed her laptop and went to change her clothes. Taecyeon sat there in confusion, but his eyes widened when she changed into a pair of short jeans and a white t-shirt. From his point of view, she was as captivating as ever. Her hair falling perfectly down her shoulders, her eyes hinting innocence.

“Change now, we’re going somewhere. I’ll meet you at the lobby,” she said, walking towards the lift. Taecyeon swiftly changed into his white tee, accompanying it with a blue plaid blouse. Putting on his trousers and shoes, he made his way down to the lobby. He saw Yoona waiting patiently for him, as she chatted with Joongki by the desk.

“I’m ready.”

Yoona jumped at his voice, her eyes wandering his figure. She felt her heart flutter when she stared into his eyes, clearing quickly as she looked away. “Let’s go.” They marched towards Yoona’s car as she started the engine, driving to the bakery where Sooyoung and Chansung were at.

“Where are we going?”

“I’m showing you how our missions are carried out. We’re going to the target’s bakery to let you see how Sooyoung and Chansung work together.”

“So how are we going to see them?”

“We’ll be acting as customers while Sooyoung enters as a food critic. She goes around incognito since it's mandatory to keep our identities safe. Don’t worry, I’ve reminded her about us sneaking in. So act normal, don’t make any eye contact with Soo, or you’ll be blowing our cover. Bottomline is, stay with me at all times, got it?”

Taecyeon stifled a chuckle. He was actually happy about the idea of him being beside her. Even though she only met Yoona hours ago, he could tell that she was different and he wanted to know more about her personality. Pushing those thoughts behind his back, Yoona parked her car right behind a mini white van. They hopped out of the car, as Yoona carried a brown package from the backseat and went over to the back of the van, knocking on the door. It opened slightly, Taecyeon peeked from the side as she entered the van carefully. He followed after and shut the door behind him. Taecyeon realized he was in the Spyro van, Chansung focusing on the cameras that Sooyoung had with her.

“Oh, hey there Taec,” Chansung bowed with his head.

“Okay so I’m going to explain to you what Chansung does. He gives Sooyoung hidden cameras, and once she plots the cameras in hidden places, he works on his computer to activate them letting us show the target. Also, we have an earpiece device to warn Sooyoung if necessary.”

“Cool, I’ve never played with gadgets before.”

“You’ll learn to play with them soon. Now, let’s go to the bakery and wait for Sooyoung. She’s coming any minute.” They opened the door and strolled in to the bakery. They were welcomed by some of the staff, as they politely bowed with a smile. Yoona browsed through the pastries, while Taecyeon watched her move forward slowly, as if she really was going to buy something. He heard the door open and turned his head around, looking at Sooyoung in a neat and proper attire, with glasses on. He covered his mouth from laughing until Yoona gave him a glare, warning that he was giving their cover away. Sooyoung marched in with a clipboard and pen in her hand, walking to the cash register.

“I’m Kang Soojin, a food critic from the National Health Department,” she held out a card, showing it to the staff.

The staff nervously bit her lip, “May I help you ma’am?”

“I’m going on a hygiene check today, ensuring that your kitchen is clean and free from any pests. If the circumstances fail the requirements, I’m afraid the bakery has to shut down. So, shall I?” Sooyoung rose an eyebrow, tapping her foot ocassionally. The staff nodded, giving the other staff a heads up. She smirked, “Also is your boss here?”

“No ma’am, he went for his lunch break. He won’t be around anytime soon but–”

“That is alright. If there is any problem, I can deal with you instead.”

Taecyeon grinned, impressed with Sooyoung’s acting skills. She should be a certified actress perhaps. Yoona shook her head, Taecyeon was staring at Sooyoung for too long, they were quite at risk. Noticing the strange stares she saw from the staff, she came up with something. She had to distract him from Sooyoung and she knew exactly what to do.  Without hesitation, she grabbed his hand and linked her arm with his.

“Oppa, can we buy that chocolate cake please?” Taecyeon stood there in shock, watching Yoona’s eyes sparkle and that pout that he could barely resist. He was stunned for a few moments until Yoona shrugged his arm in a childish way, pointing at the cake.

“What the hell are you talking about?” he stared at her in disbelief. Yoona grinned, stomping her foot on Taecyeon’s, making it clear what she was trying to say.

“Um…sure…Miss, I’d like to buy that cake please,” he stuttered, biting his hand a little to relieve the stinging pain coming from his foot. The female staff smiled, serving the cake right away. Yoona turned to the side, preventing Taecyeon from seeing her chuckle.

“Here you go! You two look great together,” the girl complimented. Taecyeon turned to Yoona whom he was not expecting to smile.

“Thank you!” Yoona took the bag from the girl and faced Taecyeon. “Oppa let’s go.” The both of them left the bakery, Yoona letting go of his arm once they were out of the bakery’s sight. Taecyeon still couldn’t comprehend what happened minutes ago. Her calling him ‘oppa’ was probably the most cutest thing that appealed him. The way she linked their arms made him want to cuddle with her all day. But as soon as he caught Yoona's smile fading, he jumped back to reality.

“Mr Ok, did you forget what I have said to you? Did you not understand my instructions?” Yoona crossed her arms in frustration.

“What’d I do?”

She exhaled sharply, “You were being obvious. You kept looking at Sooyoung and that’s a possible risk of getting a cover blown.”

“Well…I’m sorry! And don't stomp on my foot again I beg of you it's as painful as hell.”

“I need to or else the staff would start suspecting,” she snapped. “Please, just don’t do that again okay?” Yoona calmed herself down, ending her sentence with a whisper. She didn’t want to get mad at him on the first day and reminded herself that curiosity got the better of him. It was also the first time she acted that way for a long time. Feelings overcame her, and she liked it even though it was just for a while. But she shouldn’t be feeling like this for Taecyeon, fearing that he might be her weakness which would be a disadvantage to her. Taecyeon took this time to read Yoona’s mind. He could tell she was thinking about something and smirked when he thought of his reply.

“Ms Im, did I hear you call me ‘oppa’ earlier?” a coy smile appeared on his face.

Yoona shot her head up, finding for the right words to defend her. “Of…of course not! I just did that for our own sake.”

Taking a step closer to her, she stepped back automatically. “But you liked it, even though you’re acting right?”

Yoona found herself blushing hard. Damn, he could push her buttons easily, it frustrated her. She hated it when Taecyeon was teasing her, it made her feel small. “Whether I liked it or not Mr Ok, it’s none of your business,” she stomped away, heading towards the van. Taecyeon snickered, entering the van as well. Chansung was in between Taecyeon and Yoona, feeling awkward at his position, he tried his best to focus on the computer screen. They were watching Sooyoung inspect the area, she had a hidden camera connected to her necklace, making it easier for Chansung’s job. When they spotted her approaching a secluded area, Chansung turned the speaker on. Yoona grabbed the headseat as she spoke, “530 to 210 do you hear me?”

“210 speaking,” Sooyoung whispered.

“Entrance found, we’ll keep look out.”

“Five thirty and two ten huh? So are you two eleven Chansung?” Taecyeon asked.

“Apparently.”

“Mine’s so long, it’s twelve twenty-seven.”

“Quiet Ok!” Yoona hissed.

Taecyeon stuck out his tongue, mocking her on purpose. “Meanie!”

 

Sooyoung attached the code breaker by the door as Chansung skilfully sorted out the passcode in a blink of an eye. She pressed the numbers quickly, gaining access to a small office. Her eyes scanned the area, looking for clues and secret informations about the target. She stopped when she noticed a picture frame, a lady who appeared to be in her mid-twenties. Beside it was a calendar, a red circle was marked on the 26th of April. Sooyoung snapped a photo of the picture and scribbled down specific things on her notepad.

“211 to 210 red light is on.”

Sooyoung hurriedly plotted a camera on the shelves. “210 signing off.” With that, Sooyoung walked briskly back to the kitchen and continued to observe the surroundings, acting as if nothing happened. She wrote down several things on the sheet and went back to the counter, only to find out the target arrived. She kept her compoture straight, blankly checking through the paper.

“Who’s this?” the target faced Sooyoung cautiously.

“Sir, she’s the food critic…” his staff pointed out.

“Ah…I see. Miss, is there anything wrong?” his tone changed immediately, from stern to gentle. “I’m the owner of the bakery, is there anything I can help?”

Sooyoung shook her head, forcing a smile. “I was checking your kitchen’s cleanliness. I’ve written down some notes and I believe your bakery has passed the requirements.”

“Oh, that’s good then?”

“Yes, I will settle some things before handing out certification. I must go now, thank you,” she bowed, leaving the bakery quietly.

 

All four of them went back to the Espionage, sorting out what they have gathered so far. Sooyoung handed out the info to Yoona, as well as the photo which she took note of. After a few rounds of discussion Chansung placed a portable device on the middle of the table. A floating profile was transmitted from the white screen, showing the agents the target’s profile. Taecyeon stared in awe, impressed with how much technology has improved. Yoona grabbed the remote that controlled the device, enabling her to switch to the next page. The room fell silent.

“Target, Han Taewon. A baker, age 26, only child. Initially his crime was selling drugs, now, he has been poisoning his victims. 210 found a picture of a girl in his office, and according to the face match, she turns out to be Song Hyejin, a photographer. We went on further investigation on this girl only to find out she is engaged. The groom to be is Kim Yejun, a colleague she worked with some time ago. According to my opinion, Hyejin is Taewon’s first love but unfortunately she’s with someone else. His victim that he’s tracking right now is no other than Yejun, the man who 'stole' his girl away,” Yoona explained while Taecyeon furrowed his brows, raising his hand, preventing Yoona to continue. “Yes, Mr Ok?”

“How are you certain about these conclusions?”

“From past missions, experiences and research.”

He scoffed, “You’re in a relationship?”

Yoona cleared , turning her gaze away from Taecyeon. “I don’t answer personal questions,” she said firmly, “Moving on.” Taecyeon smiled, knowing Yoona definitely had a relationship before. If she did, he was definitely curious to know more about her story that seemed to have possibly made an effect on her. 

“This means that Taewon would attend the wedding one way or another, like what 210 has informed about the day marked on the calendar. Supposedly, their wedding day. Now we have to find out Taewon’s moves and keep the victim away from his trap. This mission shall end at the wedding day itself. Concealed and quick.”