viii | New apartment, but he is drifting away from her

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

When Taemin reached their new apartment, it was already night time and Hyehee wasn’t home yet. He did send her the address right after Hyehee got down from his car, and although she didn’t reply, he was sure that she received the message. He sighed, dropped the luggage and slides his phone out from his back pocket.

              “The number you’ve dialled is not responding, please try again later.

              He sighed again, louder this time, and stared at the dark and cold flat. Turning his heels, he headed for the door and opened it. Maybe it’s a better idea to go out and find her.

              But Hyehee was standing right outside that Taemin nearly knocked her over. She was shock, but she composed herself faster than she thought. He held onto her hands. “Where did you go?” He asked, a hint of concern in his voice, but Hyehee did not appreciate it. She dropped his hands and went into the flat.

              “Hyehee…” He called out to the girl that simply brushed past him. “Can you not be so stubborn? What’s wrong?”

              She rolled her eyes but did not respond. She picked up the bag that contained her belongings and went into the master bedroom before slamming the door close.

              Taemin sighed as he closed the door behind him and went for the master bedroom.

              “Baby, can we talk?” he knocked on the door and leaned on it.

              “Babe, I’m sorry I shouldn’t drop you just now.” Taemin really felt apologetic towards her, she must have had a hard time finding the flat that’s why she took so long.

              “Hyehee, can you open up?”

              “It wasn’t locked.

              Taemin took it as a cue for him to enter the room. The room was decorated simple and neat with monochrome theme. He had a small smile on when he saw Hyehee unpacking her clothes and hanging them in the wardrobe made for two.

              “Baby I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to neglect you these days.” Taemin went up to her for a back hug.

              “Leave me alone, can’t you see I’m packing?” she coldly replied. For some reason she just can’t accept the fact that Taemin has been spending so much time outside with other woman instead of her.

              And she actually misses the presence of Jonghyun consoling and accompanying her when Taemin wasn’t around.

              “Hyehee…” He turned her around and cupped her face so that she could look him in the eyes. “Look, I promise I won’t neglect you anymore. I won’t leave you alone at home again okay? I promise.”

              She stared at him, “I really don’t like it when you leave me alone. We used to be together isn’t it? You said I’m the only one left.” She sighed and secretly wishing that her Jin oppa could be here with her.

              Taemin closed his eyes and pulled her into his embrace. “I’m sorry.” He whispered into her ear and gave her a kiss there. “I love you, baby.”

              Hyehee returned the hug and laid her head against Taemin’s chest.

 

 

“The number you’ve dialled is not responding, please try again later.”

              It was the fifth time that she dialled for Taemin’s number and the fact that it’s still not responding is kind of…pissing her off pretty badly.

              “…so much for promises.” She whispered, dumping her phone on the bedside table as she rolled on the bed. It’s only been two days since that day when she threw her temper and Taemin coolly calmed her down with promises. Yesterday he wasn’t with her as well and when she asked where he was going...

 

“I’m going out later,” Taemin said as he walked into the kitchen when Hyehee was making breakfast for them. “Again?” she asked in a low voice, and the question sounded way more calm than she thought.

              “Yeah, there are things I want to talk about with Jiyong.” He replied, watching Hyehee spreading the peanut butter on the plain bread. “We should go get some necessities, and well…a toasting machine.” He sighed at the plain white bread and took it from his girlfriend’s hand before giving it a bite.

              “Can I go with you later?” she asked, not taking eyes off the spreading knife in her hand as she took another white bread. “I guess it’s better to stay home, it’s going to rain. It’s fine, I’ll go alone.”

              “Is Minjung going to be there?” she sighed.

              Taemin kept quiet. He chewed his bread quickly and gave her a quick kiss on her head. “I’ll be back soon, I promise.”

              “Will you stop hanging out with Minjung if I told you to?” Hyehee asked out of the blue when Taemin took a step away from her. It was quiet for a moment when Taemin decided to sigh.

               “I won’t.” because who knows if Minjung was really his twin sister. How can he leave her alone, right?

              “Don’t worry, I promise I’ll answer your calls if you called. I’m yours, remember? Later.” He said with a small smile, looking back at her but Hyehee wasn’t even looking in his direction.

 

…Pretty promises.

              Sighing, she stared at the ceiling. He must be with that woman again, again. For a moment she really hated herself for revolving her life around Taemin, to the extent it was like she lived for him. Well, in the past yes, they were always together and Taemin only has eyes for her. But recently it just seemed like Taemin won’t be there for her just like she was for him because he has other activities out there….like Oh Minjung.

              Yet for her, he was her only activity, and she positioned herself in a way that she could be taken for granted, that whenever Taemin comes home, she would be there to welcome him. She hated herself for it.

              She should do something, something to make her life more enriching. She shouldn’t always be waiting for Taemin’s calls, or replies, or him that doesn’t return. On a second thought, she doesn’t have friends here, and neither Key nor Jonghyun is free for her as well.

              She sighed with a tear rolling down her cheek, and the more she thought about how useless she was, the more heartbroken she felt. The worse thing is that Taemin wasn’t there to comfort her and telling her that it was wrong to think like that.

 

 

“…Really? They actually said that?” Minjung laughed at Taemin’s joke while holding onto her glass of juice. “Yeah, it was funny at that time.” Taemin laughed, saying about his high school life of how people don’t recognise him as the Lee’s siblings just because he was a rebellious kid.

              Jiyong watched as the two people in front of him, with Taemin slightly drunk and Minjung… not, but looking like she was drunk from the talk with Taemin. He sighed, looking as how Minjung looked at Taemin like he was the one who planted stars in the sky.

              Minjung smiled, not sure what she was smiling at but she was just happy looking at Taemin’s appealing’s side profile. “I’m going to the restroom,” and she left the seat.

              “Taemin, isn’t it getting a little late? Where’s Hyehee?” He questioned when he saw the clock. He doesn’t know how but the two of them were getting closer and Taemin and Hyehee were drifting apart and he fear that something might happen if this goes on.

              “She’s waiting for me at home of course,” he nonchalantly said, as though it was something so natural.

              “Is it? What if you go home one day and she wasn’t there?” Jiyong leaned against the counter, staring into Taemin’s unfocused eyes. “I’ll just call her.” Taemin snickered, fishing out his phone from his back pocket. “Ahh…the battery went flat.” And he dropped his phone on the counter with a loud thud.

              Jiyong sighed, “What the hell is going on with you, Lee Taemin?”

              “What the hell is wrong with me? What exactly is wrong of me to know more about Minjung because I think she’s my twin sister?? Why does everyone think that I’m wrong to hang out with her just because I have a girlfriend??” he asked aloud, throwing and gesturing his hands to show how frustrated he was with the treatment he was getting.

              “You’re being callous to her feelings. Dude, think over it yourself, what have you done, and what have you not done?” Jiyong sighed again, “It’s time to go back to your little girl, Taemin.”

             

When Minjung came back, Taemin was no longer around.

              “Where did Taemin go?” she asked. “Why do you care?”

              “What?” Minjung raised a brow, before snickering. “Hey, you like me don’t you? So you’re jealous now that I care about other guys?” she laughed, covering and giggling like a girl who just discovered a happy secret.

              Jiyong looked at her with an apathetic look, and Minjung take it as her joke wasn’t funny.

              “Anyway, Taemin is different. I think I like him.”

              “He should be the last person you fall in love with.”

              “Why? He’s cool, good-looking, and tall enough for me. I’m the King, and he used to be from the mafia as well, I don’t see why we don’t look good together?”

              Jiyong glanced at her, “Because of the girl called Lee Hyehee, I can assure you that Taemin loves her more than life itself. That’s why you’ll never, ever get into the same picture with them.”

              Minjung was slapped right in the face with Jiyong’s words but she wasn’t quite convinced that Taemin love Hyehee more than like itself. She can feel something special from the interaction with him, and she wasn’t sure if that feeling sparkles.

 

 

Hyehee was sitting on the window ledge, overlooking the city as she had her leg up against her chest and hugging herself. It was night time and she was looking out the window, over at the city lights, when Taemin came home.

              The lights in the apartment weren’t on and it was really dark so Taemin couldn’t spot her. He took off his shoes and outerwear before walking into the room and the kitchen, and everything was dark. He sighed, before he caught a figure sitting at the window ledge as he walked out.

              “Hyehee?” he called out as he walked over to her and he kind of figured out what’s going on with his baby girl. It was really late after midnight and it was his fault when Hyehee would sit alone and break down. The last thing he wanted was to see her crying. She doesn’t deserve all of these.

              He came to her and picked her up from the ledge before carrying her over to the sofa. He wrapped his arms around her and make sure she felt safe in his embrace. He doesn’t even bother to turn on the lights because all he wanted to do was to hug her tightly. Hyehee cried.

              “Forgive me,” he whispered in her ear, and she cried even harder. The smell of alcohol infused into her nose and that’s when she knows Taemin probably went drinking again. “I’m sorry, I neglected your feelings. I know recently I’ve not been spending time with you, leaving you alone at home—“

              “It’s never about leaving me alone at home!” she pushed Taemin away, punching his chest and weeping like a little girl. “It’s about that Minjung! From the day we came back, it’s always about her, you’re always with her!”

              He felt like his heart was getting squeezed when he saw Hyehee crying so badly over him. It’s always him, the reason why Hyehee cry has always been linked with him. And he was feeling so bad that why, why can’t he just make her stop crying?

              “I’m sorry,” that’s all he could say at the moment, he still doesn’t want to tell Hyehee about Minjung being his sister, he doesn’t want to tell her before anything is confirmed. “I’m sorry,” he repeated again, pulling her towards him and locking her in his arms. “I love you.”

 

 

When Hyehee trailed her fingers on Taemin’s delicate face the following morning, he woke up with drowsy eyes and a small smile playing on his lips. “Morning,” he breathed, circling Hyehee closer to him under the blanket.

              When she was done crying last night, Taemin carried her to the room and gave her a kiss, hopefully long and sweet enough to ease the uneasiness in her heart. “Morning,” Hyehee replied with a smile as she snuggled into Taemin’s chest. “Shall we go out today? I guess we needed quite some things. This house was empty.” He sighed into Hyehee’s head and sniffed her.

              “Yeah, actually we should write a list of things first.” She suggested, turning her body and stared at the ceiling. “It feels like we are newly wedded couple moving into a new house.” And a sweet feeling fills up her heart, forming a smile on her face filled with happiness.

              And suddenly, she realized happiness can be so easy.

              Taemin grinned while looking at his girlfriend, “Silly girl.”

              …And how he wishes that he could see that smile stay on her face forever.