vii | He went to her again and again

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

Minjung was surprised when one of her maids told her that a guest had arrived and he named himself Taemin. So when she excitedly went to the living room, she spotted a lean figure standing in the middle of it. “Taemin! Why are you here?”

              “I left my phone here. Where’s Sehun?”

              “Why would you find Sehun for your phone?” She raised one of her brows while gesturing for Taemin to take a seat.

              He shrugged, crossing his legs and looking around. “Sehun just went to shower. Did you tell him you will be coming?”

              “I didn’t, who cares I’ll just come.”

              Minjung pressed her lips together and stared at Taemin before asking one of the servants to call Sehun down once he’s done bathing.

              Taemin sat there, his lips and clicking his tongue. “By the way,” he started. “I heard you had a tattoo.”

              Minjung wasn’t listening as she reached out for the remote control. “Hmm? What did you say?”  But at that time when Minjung bent forward to reach for the table, the back of her shirt came up, revealing her curled up dragon tattoo, and Taemin swear he forgot to breathe for a second.

              “Did you say something?” Minjung asked again, putting her legs up and crossing them on the couch. “…Yeah,” he managed to say.

              Taemin looked down on the ground, eyes unfocused, and mind in a mess. Why is that tattoo so freaking identical with his?

              “Your tattoo,” he started again after sorting out his mind. “It’s special. I saw it just now, when you were taking something from the table.”

              Minjung looked baffled for a while, “Oh, the tattoo. It’s been there since forever. Sometimes I don’t even remember I had them.”

              Since forever?

              “Since forever?” Taemin’s brows furrowed. “Yeah, I don’t know, it’s always there, like it was my birthmark or something.” She replied nonchalantly and that’s when Sehun came down the stairs.

              “Why are you asking about my sis’s tattoo? Isn’t that a little too…personal?” Sehun asked, flipping the phone he had in his hand when he walked towards the two.

              “It’s just a tattoo. What’s so personal about it?” Taemin smirked lightly as he snatched his phone away from Sehun’s hand. “You had a dragon tattoo too, right? Someone from the phoenix clan and dragon clan, who are you, Mr. Taemin?” Sehun returned a smirk that Taemin doesn’t like, both the smirk and the question.

              “I’m sorry?” Taemin questioned. “I’m pretty sure you heard a lot about me don’t you? Why are you still asking?”

              “Hearing you say in person might be a better choice. You know, some are rumours and you won’t want me to believe that will you?”

              “What the hell, Sehun?” Minjung finally voiced out after hearing how they exchange their sentences. “It’s just a tattoo, chill.”

              She sighed, “Taemin, you had a dragon tattoo too right? Can I see your tattoo?”

              Taemin flinched at her request, “No.” he answered bluntly, of course he’s not going to show her how identical their tattoos were.

              “What? Why?” She frowned and she was determined to look at it. Nothing is going to stand in her way of getting what she wants.

              Sehun rolled his eyes and flopped himself down beside his sister. “It’s just a freaking tattoo, what’s so interesting about it.”

              “Then why are you getting so worked up over a tattoo a moment ago?” She retorted.

              Taemin pursed his bottom lip out and glanced at the siblings; he was here just to get his phone, he should probably get going, so he stood up.

              “Oh you’re leaving?” Minjung reacted first and when Sehun diverted his attention onto Taemin, his face literally lit up that Taemin had to hold back his smirk. Is this little brother jealous of him?

              “Yeah apparently,” Taemin smiled.

              “I’m not sending you off,” Sehun said and stared at the TV screen. “I—…” and when Minjung wanted to stand up to send Taemin off, Sehun pulled her back and locked her in his arms. “Oh noona, watch this. It’s interesting.”

              Taemin had a small smile playing on his lips before heading for the door.

 

 

“Hey.” Jonghyun popped his head into the room when he saw it unclose. “Taemin’s out again?”

               “Apparently,” Hyehee pressed her lips together and gave a what-can-I-do face while walking back and forth between the wardrobe and the bed.

               “Packing? I heard you all are leaving tonight or something.” He sat himself in the red velvet couch and watched as Hyehee packed both hers and Taemin’s clothes into two separate luggage. “I’ve no idea why it’s such a rush, but well.”

              “But well?” He asked.

              Hyehee stopped and sat herself on the edge of the bed with a defeated look and Jonghyun swear he felt the urge to go over and embrace her.

              “I don’t know. Lately it’s been a thing; it’s like I can no longer know what he is thinking.” She sighed. “But well, as long he’s beside me, as long we are together, I don’t want to care what he is doing outside. At the end of the day he will come back to me, and that’s all that matters.”

              Jonghyun his dried lips and clutched tightly on the arm rest of the couch. “You have all the right to care what he is doing outside, you know that right? Hyehee, I can see.”

              He took a breath, “I mean, you know, you’ve been upset lately aren’t you? Ever since you’re back in Korea, or?” He paused for a while, “Or are you jealous?”

              Hyehee blinked and glanced up at the brown-haired agent who was looking at her the whole time. “Maybe I was.”

              She looked down on the mattress and run her hand over the white bed sheet. “In California, he never looks at another girl.” Hyehee frowned, “But Oh Minjung seemed to be attracting too much of his attention.”

              Jonghyun swallowed a ball of saliva. He almost can feel her sadness but he can’t tell her the truth. “You don’t have to worry, Taemin loves you, and you know that right?” He felt pathetic that that’s all he could say. He stood up and walked over to her, patting on her shoulder.

              And he’s holding himself back from giving her a warm hug.

              But Hyehee moved towards him and had her arms around his masculine waist.

              “Thanks, Jonghyun oppa. You’ve always been around me when Taemin wasn’t around.” She said quietly, leaning her head against his toned chest and closing her eyes.

              For her, she was laying her head on a brother that watched over her since young, and she never felt so safe besides having Taemin next to her.

              Jonghyun sighed and ruffled her hair, “You can always come to me if there’s anything,” he said under his breath, loud enough for the girl to hear. She nodded.

              Both Key and Jonghyun oppa dote on her a lot and she really appreciated it.

              “What’s happening?”

              Jonghyun’s eyes widen and quickly pulled Hyehee away from him, he wasn’t sure why he does that but Hyehee was confused at his actions. Nevertheless, she smiled at the entrance of her boyfriend.

              “What did I miss?” Taemin smiled and walked over to them, hanging his arm over Hyehee’s shoulder and facing Jonghyun.

              “Nothing, I was just telling Hyehee that if ever you bully her, she can always come back.”

              Hyehee beamed and pinched Taemin’s nose, “Look, I’m protected. Don’t you ever bully me.” She laughed.

              “I’m the one protecting you, remember?” Taemin joked and Jonghyun felt like he shouldn’t exist at that moment. Luckily, his phone rang and he had an excuse to leave the room.

              And when they were alone, Taemin removed his arm from her shoulder and went to the wardrobe for his clothes. “You were back early today; I thought you would take very long.” Hyehee said.

              “I just went to take my phone; moreover, I might be going out again later at night.” He replied, giving her a smile as he walked back to the bed.

              Hyehee clutched her fists and placed it on her knees, “Where have you been going?” she asked in a low voice, so low that Taemin couldn’t catch it.

              “What?” He asked, folding the clothes neatly and placing them into the luggage. “Were you with Oh Minjung?”

              Taemin paused for a while and sighed before putting the last piece of clothing away. “Why would you say that?” he asked, closing the luggage and zipping it up.

              “Just answer me,” Hyehee’s eyes had already lost focus and she was just staring at the wall blankly.

              He closed his eyes and sat on the other side of the bed. “Yes, I was.”

              And he knew what it means when he said he was with Minjung. It just doesn’t sound right for a guy with girlfriend to hang out a lot with another girl, and with the guy confessing to the girlfriend that he was with another girl the whole time when he wasn’t with her.

              “But it wasn’t what you were thinking. Nothing is going on, I swear, Hyehee. You have to believe me.” He turned around to face her but Hyehee didn’t move, he was staring at her back and she wasn’t planning to turn back.

              “I see,” she said quietly. Smiling, she stood up and went over to take out the remaining of her clothes from the wardrobe before dumping them on the bed.

              “Hyehee…” Taemin called out, he could feel her uneasiness and he wanted to console her so badly but doesn’t know how. “Hyehee,” he repeated and this time he pulled her by her arm onto his lap and hugged her from the back.

              “Don’t worry,” he whispered against her back as he tightens his arms around her waist. “Just believe me, Hyehee.” He leaned his head on her back and Hyehee had her eyes closed.

              Her heart was aching.

              She was supposed to trust him but nothing really seemed to be working when her boyfriend was a perfect guy whereas she was just like a weed in the greenhouse, and there are so many beautiful flowers out there.

              “Of course,” she mouthed, moving out from his lap and sitting down next to him. She hugged him, “I trust you.”

 

 

“Let’s go,” Taemin said when he finished putting all their belongings in the boot of the black Ferrari. “You don’t have to tell Key or Jonghyun oppa?”

              “I told them this morning and well they weren’t in the house anyway.” Taemin sighed and got into the driver seat. “Buckle up,” he reminded.

              “Umm,” Hyehee buckled herself up before feeling a vibration in her bag. She took out her cell phone when Taemin drove out from the garage.

              I’ll be on mission for a few days, see you soon. Stay strong Hyehee, you know oppa will always be here for you. –Jonghyun

              Hyehee smiled, locking her phone and put it back into her bag before staring out the window. “Who was it?” Taemin asked when he saw her smile.

              She shook her head, and she turned to Taemin who gave her a small smile. “Want to eat together?” She asked.

              Taemin stared at the road, looking at the rear mirror and turning into a corner, “I’ll be going out later.”

              “But you still have to eat, don’t you? It’s just a meal together.” She said. Yeah, they hardly had a meal together ever sincewho knows when.

              He took a look at his watch; he has to reach BD before it is open for the public. He has something to ask Jiyong. “I’m sorry baby, I don’t have time. I’ll buy something you love to eat on the way back okay? Stay home and wait for me.”

              Hyehee heaved a sigh and looked away before rolling her eyes. Again. She had to wait again. “What the hell are you exactly busy with?” she couldn’t hold herself back from asking the question, but when she did, she was afraid to hear the answer. “Oh Minjung again?” she asked.

              Taemin sighed and took a glance of her. “I’m finding Jiyong later. Don’t worry alright? I’ll be back soon. Just wait for me.”

              “Wait?” Hyehee snapped, snickering to herself and biting the inside of her lips. “Other than wait, what can I do? You don’t have to tell me to wait, I’ll be waiting too.”

              “Drop me off here, and send me the address. I’ll go there myself, I don’t want to take up too much of your time, busy-man.”

              He sighed again and continued driving without words. He doesn’t have any intention to stop the car, and he doesn’t wish to further the conversation. It’s no point arguing when he can’t tell Hyehee what exactly he was busy with.

              “I said stop the car.” She turned and stared at him with eyes that seemed to pierce through Taemin.

              “Don’t be stubborn, Hyehee.”

              “STOP THE CAR!” she yelled and this time, Taemin came to an abrupt stop at the side of the road. “Hyehee!”

              Before Taemin could say anything, she had already gotten off the car and walked into the nearest mall.

              Taemin gritted his teeth and slammed on the steering wheel. “Damn,” he cursed.

 

 

“What???”

              “I mean, he’s already in his 70s when he did your tattoo.” Jiyong answered when Taemin sat there on the high stool with his face buried in his hands. The bartender took a glance at him before settling himself in front of Taemin with his arms on the counter. “Why do you ask?”

              Taemin sighed and he looked up with a frown. “To be honest, recently I’m suspecting…suspecting that Minjung could be my twin sister.”

              Jiyong’s eyes widen a little but he wasn’t too surprised at it. “I kind of guessed it. When I first saw her, I thought of you immediately. The looks, the aura, the familiarity, I felt like I was talking to you. But I still don’t get it, why do you find the tattoo artist”

              “Have you seen her tattoo?” Taemin questioned.

              “I did, and what about it?” Jiyong asked and Taemin stand down from his high stool. “But have you seen mine?” and before Jiyong could say no; Taemin had already took off his shirt and turned around, revealing the small curled-up sleeping dragon that was inked on his right shoulder. This time, Jiyong was kind of surprised at the identical tattoos.

              Taemin pressed his lips together and sat back on the stool while putting his shirt back on. “I wasn’t too sure about it until I accidentally saw her tattoo. It just kind of enhances the possibility. But it, he’s dead. What can I do now?”

              “Well,” Jiyong clapped his hands together and placed it under his chin. “Check for the DNA perhaps?”

              “Easier said than done, how am I supposed to get her DNA?”

              Jiyong smirked lightly and took a look at the digital clock under the counter. “You’re Lee Taemin; I believe you can do it. Anyhow, I need to get ready. ”