xiii | Thank you, Brother

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

Morning came faster than they thought, or Taemin in this case. He didn’t sleep for the entire night; he just stares at Hyehee as she lies on his bare chest like a newborn. There were so many thoughts on his mind, and one of it was he would have never imagined a day where they will make love; not when so many things happened. He remembered how he helped her wash up after Jinki passed away, how she felt dirty by Minho’s abuse, and how she kept herself away from the world. Everything that had happened in the past built up their relationship now and he wonders why he was tearing it apart because of Minjung.

“Ugh…” Hyehee stirred and moaned from the tapping sunlight. She blinked, shut her eyes and blinked again before looking at Taemin whose eyes were already on her. “Good morning,” she breathed with a small smile playing on her lips.

Taemin smiled, leaning over and planting a kiss on her forehead. “Are you okay?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Hyehee grinned, covering the blanket higher over her chest. “Do you think you can walk?” He laughed as he drew her closer, circling his arm around her thin waist. “I don’t think you could walk though,” he said as his hand slipped down to her thigh and between it.

“Hey!” Hyehee blushed, pushing Taemin’s sneaky hand away from her when his phone vibrated violently on the table. Both turned over before taking a glance at the time now. Who could have called so early in the morning?

Lee Taemin,” the other line said as soon as Taemin sat up to get the call. Hyehee pulled the blanket with her as she clings onto Taemin with one arm hanging around his neck, she sits in his lap with much difficulties. Her thigh was indeed aching. “…Sehun?” Taemin wonders what Sehun wants early in the morning. It’s not even eight now.

But he couldn’t concentrate fully on what Sehun is saying. Hyehee was now in his lap, with one arm around him and another holding his face while planting kisses down his jawline. He almost wanted to return the tease, but he managed to compose himself. “…four at Jiyong’s. Got it.” Taemin repeated the last sentence that Sehun said, totally ignoring what he said before that; and he hung up the call.

“Hey…what do you think you’re doing to me?” Taemin breathed in Hyehee’s ear as she giggled. “Doing what I like doing to you,” she laughed while he started tickling her and getting on top of her. “Stop it! What does Sehun wants?” She laughed.

Taemin stopped, “he wants to see me. I forgot what he said because you little thing are distracting me,” his finger trails down her face as he stares into her eyes. “Silly girl.”

“Oh, so what time are you leaving again?” Hyehee asked. She already got used to the time when Taemin would always leave after answering some calls; always leaving her alone in the house while he’s outside with Minjung. “We,” Taemin kissed her lips. “We are going together.” He smiled into the kiss as Hyehee wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Really? Finally, you’re bringing me out again?” She questioned with a hint of sarcasm. Taemin sighed, picking strands of hair behind her ear while staring into her eyes again. “I know what I’ve done for the past few weeks, leaving you alone and things. Getting you worried and feeling insecure, I’m sorry.” He places his forehead against hers. “But you know I love you, only you. Just you…”

Hyehee smiled; the words that she can never get tired of hearing, the kisses that she can never get tired of getting, she would trade everything in the world for Taemin. Everything.

Taemin rolled over on his back and shifted until Hyehee lies in his arm. He plays with her hair while staring at the ceiling. “When was the last time we went to see hyung…” he asked.

“Jin oppa…I wonder what it will be like if he’s still alive…” Hyehee pressed her lips together, tapping her fingers lightly on Taemin’s chest. “He will be a great man, just like how he always is.” He answered. He misses his brother dearly, even though Jinki didn’t treat him well ever since Taemin left the Lee’s, but he knows that he did that for a reason. Furthermore, he died protecting him.

“Hyehee…” Taemin started, twirling a strand of Hyehee’s hair around his finger. “Do you want to go back to California?”

Hyehee blinked, “why the sudden decision? I thought this time you came back you didn’t want to—,”

“Just…” Taemin stopped her, “I just feel that maybe…”

“Taem,” Hyehee propped up on an elbow while looking at Taemin’s unfocused eyes. She uses another hand to touch his face, turning it so that he could face her. “What are you worried about?”

He stares at her for a while before smiling, what could he be worrying about when he got the girl he loves more than life itself right on his bed, in his arms?

“Nothing, we will see about it.” And he pulled her in for a kiss.

 

 

Key was sitting in the living room when Jonghyun came back.

“You’re still at home?” Jonghyun said, walking past Key as he made his way into the kitchen for a cup of water. He looked at his watch, Key usually would have left for office at this timing. “Young master has been in daze for two hours.” One of the maids in the kitchen told Jonghyun when she didn’t hear Key’s reply. He raised a brow.

Jonghyun walked out into the main room and sat down next to Key. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

Key’s back was against the couch, he was in his formal attire but with the top few buttons ed. His long white sleeves were folded up to his elbows. Jonghyun frowned, putting a hand on Key’s shoulder before nudging him. “Hey!”

It was almost like his nudge pulled Key’s soul back on earth. The latter blinked, he turned and took a glance of Jonghyun’s face before looking ahead again. “I think I made a grave mistake.”

“What? Hey, don’t scare me like that,” the agent’s frown got deeper, he stared at him, waiting for him to continue. Key swallowed, before reaching out to his pocket and taking out an old photo.

Jonghyun looked at the photo as Key handed it to him slowly. “What is—,” Jonghyun stopped, his eyes widen at the content.

It was a photo of a baby twins.

“What…is this?” his voice came out softer than he thought. “Where did you…get this?” he looked up at Key.

“When I was cleaning up master’s room last time, I saw old photos that I thought I would give Taemin. So, I gave him the photo of his parents and then when I saw this…” he paused, “I don’t know why master has a photo of a twins and back then no one was aware or even thought that Taemin will have a twin sister.”

“So…you didn’t give this to him, and you kept it until now.” Jonghyun finished his sentence for him. Key nodded.

“I was so busy with L-Phoenix back then and then I started the automobile company that I totally forgot about this photo. When I saw it again this morning while searching for some files, it scares the out of me.”

Jonghyun went speechless for a few seconds, before flipping over the photo. “I’m sorry,” he read out the words that were behind the photo. The handwriting was beautiful, neat and smooth, and he could almost imagine the writer to be a beautiful person.

“You mean all the while master know that he has a pair of grandchildren instead of just Taemin alone?” His lips pulled up into a half chuckle. “I bet he was trying to look for her too but because she wasn’t exposed to the mafia yet that’s why she wasn’t discovered.”

“Maybe,” Key said, turning to face Jonghyun. “What am I supposed to do? Should I let Taemin know?”

“He did the DNA test, but he didn’t look at the result. It seems to him that he doesn’t want to know the truth.” Jonghyun put the photo on the table, leaning forward with his elbows on his lap. “So, we have to keep it a secret?” Key scoffed. “I can’t believe it. If this photo was given to him in the beginning, all these won’t have happened.”

“Then, should we burn it?” Key asked, going away into the drawers at the back of the sofa for a lighter. “Hey, wait!” Jonghyun stopped him, “no matter what this belongs to Taemin, why are you burning it?!”

“You said Taemin didn’t want to know the truth!” Key felt like he was going crazy.

“Just…” Jonghyun looked at the photo, “just give it to him.”

Key looked at him, “really?”

The both of them watched each other and no one speaks a word, until Jonghyun heard footsteps from upstairs that he quickly hides the photo. Taemin and Hyehee soon appear in their line of vision, walking down the stairs with small talks.

“Hey,” Jonghyun smiled, “heading out?”

Taemin watched him, “what were you holding just now?” the corner of his eyes had already caught the quick move that the agent did just now. “What?” the latter asked, looking around. “Stop it, you’re looking dumb. He already saw it.” Key quietly whispered.

Hyehee raised a brow, not knowing what they were saying, she watched Taemin when he tugs her along to the door. “We are heading out,” Taemin said, making a mental note to question them when he’s back.

Key glared at the person next to him, snatching back the photo that was sat under his . “Greatest spy in Seoul, are you for real?” he snickered.

 

 

When Taemin and Hyehee reached the entrance of the pub, it wasn’t opened, and it took them more than a minute to realize Sehun was already inside. “Where is Jiyong?” he questioned.

“He left the place for us, he knew that I want to talk to you alone.” Sehun replied, eyeing the lady beside Taemin, slightly emphasizing on the word ‘alone’. Taemin subconsciously pulled Hyehee behind him.

Sehun looked at them for a bit, before turning his head back and sipping on the glass of shot that he mixes for himself. Taemin watched, taking it as a cue that Hyehee is good to stay as well. He held her hand and brought her over to where Sehun was sitting. “I hope you really have something worth my time.” Taemin said, settling himself comfortably in the seat and looking at the young lad.

“Pretty sure you will be interested in your sister’s story?” The latter tapped his fingers on the table.

“So, you’re going to share your sister’s story to other people?”

Minjung’s voice echoed loudly in the quietness, the three of them snapped their heads back.

“No matter what, given my name, I believe I can get what I want anywhere. The both of you can decide who wants to be the story teller.” Taemin pushed himself off the chair, before Hyehee tugged on his arm.

“It is my story, I will say it. But Sehun,” Minjung turned to him, “I hope you don’t get involved.”

“…” Sehun was playing with the empty glass in his hand and he stopped once he heard Minjung’s request. He slammed the glass lightly on the table top before nodding. “I will be outside.”

Minjung watched as Sehun make his exit. She walks to where he previously sat after making sure that he left the scene. She picked up Sehun’s empty glass.

“Fifteen years ago, on the 30th April, it was a sunny Saturday afternoon when Sehun had his graduation ceremony from Kindergarten. It was a day that I will never forget in my life…it was when everything starts turning upside down.”

Hyehee was holding Taemin’s arm, unconsciously rubbing her thumb on his forearm.

“That day, I don’t understand why my parents need to take two graduation photos. One with me and one without me. The one without was me was taken secretly behind my back. That day, mother give me a dollar to get ice cream, luring me away from the photobooth.” Minjung paused, “but I dropped the money after someone knocked into me, I held back my cries while walking back to her.”

“And it was then I realize they were taking photo without me. I could even remember Sehun’s high-pitch voice asking them where I am, and why are they taking photo without waiting for me.”

“Because you were not part of the family to begin with.” Taemin continued for her, and Minjung looked at him.

“Yes, because I wasn’t part of the family. A photo that has me in it wasn’t a real family photo.”

Taemin smirked, “should I be glad that at least I wasn’t treated that way in my family?”

She smiled, “but that very same day, people that we didn’t see before came to us. And the next day, Sehun and I woke up in a place that was unknown to us.”

“We were told to survive, to train ourselves. To hold guns, to shoot, to fight, to defense. We thought that we could go back to our parents when we become stronger. Until one day, when I was holding a gun pointing at the head of the ruler, I realized we are not going back.”

“So, you shot him and became the ruler,” Taemin said. “You want to be the king.”

“No,” Minjung said loudly, “I want to protect what’s mine. Sehun was my only family.”

Taemin frowned, “one thing I don’t understand, did anyone not seen your tattoo before? You were in the Mafia since nine. If I were to be discovered in my teens by master because of my tattoo, why are you not found?”

“I don’t know. The Dragons and Phoenixes clan were the biggest clans back then, the Kings wasn’t even a third in town. It was only both clans start falling apart that the Kings become bigger and stronger.” Minjung was baffled as well. “and my tattoo…I’ve no idea.”

“But Sehun, he was the most innocent party.” Hyehee voiced out, and Minjung looked at her. “Yes, he was the most ignorant and innocent. I can’t forget how much he cried the first few weeks and how badly he got beaten up. They didn’t give him food and water because he was crying so much, making everything a mess. I couldn’t even help him because they kept me away from him. I can understand if they don’t pick me up but Sehun? He was their precious son.”

“I needed to protect him, was what I thought. I clenched my teeth and strengthen my fists. I told myself that I need to one day rule the clan before Sehun could live like a normal kid.”

Minjung shook her head, leaning forward with her elbows on the table. “How foolish I was, thinking that we could go back to being normal.”

“Yes, I became stronger, but I forgot Sehun was getting older too. He was at his rebellious age, getting into trouble just because his sister was the King.”

She covered her face.

“That’s what I thought until one day, I realize he does not look at me as a sister anymore. He started looking at me like I was the love of his life, and what he does was trying to get my attention.”

The couple widen their eyes. So, she knew…all along.

“it started getting worse when he unconsciously calls me Minjung instead of Noona, the way he looks at you, the way he looks at me, he doesn’t even know how obvious he was getting after your appearance.” Her voice was muffled until she put her hands down. “I’m starting to lose track of what’s happening, especially after knowing you are my…”

She stopped. “I have no idea what to do anymore.”

Taemin stood up abruptly, pulling Hyehee with him. “the last time I didn’t know what to do, I took the person I love away from here.” He looked at Hyehee, “and now, we are happy.”

Minjung watched the both of them and caught Taemin’s eye when he turned back at her. “Sehun is a good man.”

“He is my brother.”

“And Hyehee was my sister.”

“She’s not your biological sister anyway.” Minjung scoffed, and she pulled a face when she registered what she just said.

Taemin gave her a small smile, “you need to think about it, you can no longer see him as a younger brother anymore.”

“And… Hyehee and I are probably leaving again.” He continued. “We thought we were staying here for good but, seems like it’s still a place full of unpleasant memories.”

Hyehee tilted her head at him, knowing that he was making the decision for her. She looked at their intertwined fingers, pulling it lightly for objection but he only tightens the held on her hand.

“All the best, Minjung.” Taemin lowered his voice, raising his arm for a pat on Minjung’s shoulder.

Minjung pressed her lips together, with words choked in .

Taemin took that as a response, he pulled Hyehee towards the entrance until he heard Minjung’s voice again.

“Thank you, brother.”

“If there is a chance, I hope we could meet again.”

“I hope the next time we meet, you are happier. So that I could be guilt-free of not being the brother that stays with you.”

The words that were both in their minds, they did not let each other know. But twins being twins, they knew it somehow.

Sehun did not wait outside the pub, he was instead standing at the corner away from Minjung’s vision, listening in the whole time. Taemin walked past him, clearly not surprised. “I’ll leave my sister to you, Oh Sehun.” He said quietly, loud enough only for Sehun.

 

 

“Hey…”

Hyehee was lying in bed with her phone when Taemin came into the room. When the both of them got back from the outside, it was already evening and Taemin quickly pushed her into the room saying that he got something to deal with Key and Jonghyun.

He let out a deep breath as he gets on the bed and hugs her with his head on her tummy. “Hey, what’s wrong?” she digs her hand into Taemin’s hair, ruffling his soft brown locks. “Nothing, just tired, and thinking of some things.” And she saw the photo Taemin held in his hand before hurriedly putting it in the back of his jean pocket.

She kept quiet, Taemin has been going through a lot these few weeks, suddenly discovering that you have a sister and... “ugh,” she shifted Taemin’s head away from her tummy.

“Are you feeling unwell?” Taemin immediately pushes himself off her, she shook her head. “just…menses cramp.”

“So that’s why you are in room the whole time,” he sighed a relief. “Come here,” he shifted himself up against the bed frame and with Hyehee in his arm, he slips in his hand under her shirt, his warm palm rubbing the lower part of her abdomen in clockwise direction.

Hyehee lie in his arms comfortably with her eyes closed, his warm hand is making her feel better. “Better?” his low voice rang in her ear, giving a light shiver down her spine. She nodded.

“Remember that time, your cramps were so bad that you threw tantrum at me, I had to make you hot chocolate and hug you the whole day to calm you down.” He recalled with a small smile. “Yeah, and then just like this, you were helping me making the pain go away. Just like…”

Just like that time when he was helping her making the pain that Minho made go away, with his touches and kisses.

Both of them lie there silently, and the only sound is the skin abrasion of his palm and her tummy.

“Hyehee…” he breathed. “Hmm?”

“I know how to make those pain go away.”

Hyehee opened her eyes, she looked up at him and saw that he was already looking at her with his shining eyes. “Lease out this piece of property…” his index finger drawing circling on the area below her belly button. “I’ll be the owner, and I would like to our kid to be the tenant.”

And then for a second, she forgot to breathe.

“Let’s build a family, Hyehee,” Taemin said. “I want to have kids with you, a girl with your eyes, my nose and your lips. Or a boy with my eyes, my nose and your lips.”

She laughed, “why is it both your nose and my lips?”

“Because baby, you have such an alluring pair of lips that I want to devour so badly,” Taemin whispered while leaning dangerously close to her with his index finger and thumb lifting up her chin. “Then why is it your nose?” she asked again, her lips against his.

“Because your nose is flat,” Taemin laughed, capturing her lips this time.