xi | The DNA result, and Jonghyun hit him

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

“Where are you?” was the first thing Jonghyun asked right after he got through Taemin’s phone. He was lucky, that Taemin decided to look at his phone just so to send a text to Sehun.

              “I’m not free now, I’ll call you later.” Taemin replied in a hurry, wanting to hang up but he could feel Jonghyun raging on the other end of the phone. “What? Really? Because of Oh Minjung, you're ignoring Hyehee right now? Taemin, what's going on? What happened to you? And I thought Hyehee was the most important to you."

              By the time Jonghyun’s voice reaches Taemin’s ear, he was quite aware that the voice no longer came from his mobile. Instead, it was coming at him from somewhere closer than he thought. And when he saw Jonghyun walking towards him with his phone still on his ear, Taemin’s hand slowly came down. “Why are you here?”

              Jonghyun was equally shock to see Taemin in the hospital but as soon as he remembered what he wanted to say, his nostrils were flaring. "Lee Taemin, the girl who grew up with you, the girl who left no one but you, is involved in an accident. Are you sure that you're finding Oh Minjung now? I see how important Hyehee is."

              “…What?” Taemin blinked, “Where is she? Is Hyehee okay? What happened?” He grabbed Jonghyun’s shoulders and questioned him. Anxiety built up inside him and he swears he could feel his heart thudded with fear, the fear of losing Hyehee.

              “Guys!” Key’s bright voice could be heard throughout the ground floor of the emergency department. The nurses were glaring at him but he ignored all of them and went towards Jonghyun and Taemin. “How’s Hyehee?”

              “She’s still inside.” Jonghyun answered, giving Taemin a glare before looking away and leaned his back against a wall. “The cab that Minjung collided with, the female passenger was Hyehee.”

              “…what?” Taemin’s eyes widen, and all the while when he was asking for Minjung to wake up, Hyehee was unconscious on the other end? “And you know what? The thing is that you’re here for Minjung instead of Hyehee was what frightens me. Just to what extent are you going to ignore Hyehee for Minjung?”

              “She was going to leave, Taemin. She was going to leave here, us, and you.” Jonghyun continue hissing under his breath, stabbing an accusing finger into Taemin’s chest until Sehun rushed through the entrance out of sudden. “Lee Taemin!”

              Before Taemin could react to Jonghyun, Sehun raised his fist aiming at Taemin’s cheek but the latter managed to block Sehun’s attack with his arm. “Calm the down, boy,” Key scoffed at the tall guy in front of him.

              Sehun grabbed Taemin’s shirt.  “What happened to Minjung? What did you do to her? Why didn’t you call me?”

              “She got involved in an accident. It doesn’t matter who call, now you’re here isn’t it?” Taemin sighed, grabbing Sehun’s hands off his shirt.

              “Oh Minjung’s family,” a nurse came out desperately and called. Sehun and Taemin went over to her immediately. “What the hell? When did Taemin become her family?” Key frowned. “When he self-declared that he’s her twin brother.” Jonghyun shrugged. Why is there nothing from Hyehee’s side?

              “Hah? They’re still on that topic?” Key sighed, sitting down on the bench provided. He doesn’t understand why everyone is standing around when there are chairs provided.

              “She has internal bleeding and while the doctors are operating on her, she lost a lot of blood. Her blood type is O, and we don’t have enough of this blood type in our storage, which one of you is her immediate family?” The nurse asked.

              Sehun went stunned. “Me, I’m her brother, I’m blood type O.” Taemin said almost immediately. “Come with me please.”

              Jonghyun watched Taemin leaves from the corner of his eye. Yes, he is saving someone but the agent still couldn’t forgive him for neglecting Hyehee. What exactly happened that cause Hyehee to leave? What if Hyehee really leaves? Who is going to be responsible?

              “,” he cursed under his breath, loud enough for Key to shoot him a look. “What?”

              “Taemin is going to pay a price.” Jonghyun bite his teeth. “For what?”

              “For neglecting Hyehee. After Hyehee recover, I’m taking her with me.”

              “Hah??” Key plastered a confused look on his face, before tilting his head to face the tall guy who was still rooted to his position. “Hey, take a seat here.”

              When Sehun turned around, he headed towards them with a face more confused than Key’s. “Did you hear what he said just now? He’s her brother? They’re twins? It’s confirmed?” He questioned in disbelief, expecting an answer from the both of them. “You know about it too?” Jonghyun asked. “About what?”

              “That they’re twins?”

              “I suspected it. They’re both…similar.” Sehun sighed, staring at the ground. “Maybe that’s why Minjung likes him, because they’re identical.”

              “Minjung likes Taemin??” Key exclaimed. “Ridiculous.”

              “Nothing is confirmed yet, about them being twins I mean.” Jonghyun said.

              Just when Sehun sat down, a nurse came out from Hyehee’s, and Jonghyun was the first to react. “Is Hyehee okay?”

              “She’s fine, aside from scratches by glasses, she also suffered from whiplash. It’s a common injury caused by severe jerk to the head in a car accident. Nothing is serious so not to worry. We will transfer her to the normal ward later and we will let you know again.” The nurse said gently and Jonghyun heaved a sigh of relief.

              “Thank you very much.” He smiled for the first time that day.

 

 

When Minjung slowly had her eyes opened, the first person she saw was Taemin, and that’s definitely the last person she ever wants to see.

              “Why…are you here?” She asked weakly. She already has problem keeping her eyes open. Taemin looked at her in depressed, and he couldn’t stop blaming himself for what had happened. The door opened and Sehun walked in, “she’s awake?”

              “Sehun…” Minjung sighed, asking for him to walk over to her side before grabbing his hand. “Noona…are you feeling okay?”

              Minjung nodded briefly, and Taemin watched as both of them hold their hands together, as though they have done it a lot of times. They must have been through s to get to where they are today, and they were always there for each other.

              Just like Hyehee and him.

              He clutched the brown envelope tightly in his hand, “just now…” Taemin started, his dried lips, “I asked for a DNA test, and this is the result.” He placed the envelope on Minjung’s hand.

              “I haven’t looked at it, and I’m not sure if I want to…” Taemin trailed off at the end of his words as he lowered his head. He doesn’t know what he did was right, he doesn’t know if it will affect them. If they’re living normally now, why would they want to change anything?  

              “Why?” Minjung asked, looking at Taemin with a puzzled look. “If you don’t want to know, why did you do the test?”

              Taemin sighed as he stood up from the seat with a shrug. “I believe in fate. If we are not fated to be siblings from the start, we will not. If we are, we will see again.” Taemin let out a small smile.

              “...” Minjung breathed deeply. It was so embarrassing having to confess to someone who claimed to be your brother. “Hyehee…” She sighed, “I said something cruel to her, find her and apologize for me.” She closed her eyes and a single tear rolled out from one of it. Sehun exhaled deeply when he saw it.

              Taemin blinked, “What did you say?”

              Minjung frowned while holding back a sob, “Please, just go.”

              Taemin blinked once more and for a moment he can’t seemed to compose himself. What did Minjung say? Is it because of that that Hyehee left? Was it his fault?

              “Hyehee…” he quietly said. He should be looking for her now.

              He should be with her now.

 

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Jonghyun asked for the umpteen times since he came into the ward. Key went to buy some drinks and Jonghyun mentally thanked him for giving him some alone time with Hyehee.

              “Yes, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me, Jonghyun oppa,” Hyehee assured him with a tired smile.

              Who is going to be worried about you if I don’t, silly girl. Jonghyun thought to himself, he sighed. “You should have called me, why did you choose to leave?” He asked quietly, “did Taemin do anything that made you so upset that you had to leave?”

              Hyehee kept quiet, looking down at her hands lying on the blanket. “Minjung…she told me Taemin likes her, and she likes Taemin, she kind of asked me to get out of the picture.”

              “And you quietly went away? Really? You went through so much with Taemin and now because of this girl, you wanted to quietly leave?” The agent asked in disbelief, scoffing to himself. “What choice do I have? Jonghyun oppa,” Hyehee sighed, “When your guy stop loving you, there’s nothing much you can do.”

              Jonghyun rolled his eyes, “did Taemin ever say anything about not loving you?” He’s sure that Taemin won’t leave Hyehee for another girl. It’s just that Taemin places his focus too much on Minjung that Hyehee felt neglected.

              Hyehee shook her head, maybe she did think too much, and maybe she should trust her tae oppa a little more.

              “I guess I needed a little more assurance, my insecurity is eating me up so much. I know Taemin since young, I should have known better. I’m so silly.” She covered her face with her hands, feeling guilty that she did not trust Taemin enough and even thought of leaving him.

              Jonghyun sighed.

              I know I shouldn’t have these feelings for you… Jonghyun thought, taking Hyehee’s hand and rubbing circles on it with his thumb, assuring her that everything will be fine. But I can’t help it; I think I’m falling for you.

              “Thank you, Jonghyun oppa, for being there for me all the time when Taemin wasn’t around.” Hyehee breathed, covering his hand with her other hand. “You’re really like my brother, and I’m glad for that.” She smiled.

              The corner of Jonghyun’s lips curved up, “I’ll always look after you.”

 

 

Taemin saw it coming, but it caught him off guard. One moment he was standing firmly on the ground in front of Jonghyun but the next, he was being thrown to the wall.

              It wasn’t the first time that Taemin got beaten; of course, he grew up in the mafia environment, but it was the first time he got hit by Jonghyun and he doesn’t even have any reason to fight back.

              “Remember when I said my fists don’t hit brothers?” the agent said breathlessly, shaking his hand from the pain of hitting Taemin while the latter just leaned against the wall in pain; he could almost taste his blood in his mouth where the inside of it split. Jonghyun really hit him hard.

              “But my brother, Taemin, doesn’t ditch Hyehee. He loves her more than life itself. I watched him since he was young and all he could see was Hyehee.” Jonghyun swallowed a ball of saliva and he watched as Taemin pushed himself off the wall.

              “Please, just let me see her. Is she okay?” Taemin managed to say, with blood visible at the side of his lips. Jonghyun shook his head with a small smirk, “You’re crazy if you think I’m going to let you see her.” And he walked away towards the direction of the ward; leaving Taemin there with bloodied lips.

              He sighed in defeat and squatted down against the wall.

              “She’s okay.” Jonghyun’s distant voice travelled into his ear but when he looked up, no one was in sight.

              He stayed in that position for quite a while until he heard footsteps approaching him, and when he saw a pair of leather shoes in sight, he knew it was Key. “Why are you here?” the businessman asked, hand holding a black plastic bag. Key then noticed the bruise on the side of Taemin’s lips; he lifted his chin up and tilted it to the side to take a closer look. “And with that busted lips, what, did you screw up?”

              Taemin tilted his head away from Key’s grip and he looked in another direction at the far corner. Key sighed, shifting himself to sit at the bench just beside Taemin. “Do you know what you’ve done?” he questioned, putting the bag of things on the seat beside him.

              He sighed again when Taemin didn’t answer him. “Taem, you’ve been screwing things up ever since…always.” He breathed heavily. “Remember the time when master died and you—,”

              “Key,” Taemin clenched his teeth, “I don’t need you to tell me what happened in the past. I know what I’ve done. I know you’ve always been disappointed that I wasn’t there when my grandfather left.”

              “I’m not here to reprimand you on that, Taem.”

              “Then what?!” Taemin fumed, looking up fiercely at Key who was already staring at him. “I’m sorry, I—,” Taemin closed his eyes and buried his face in his hands. “I don’t know what to do.” His voice muffled.

              Key exhaled deeply. “Think through what you did, and think of what you’re going to do next.” He said, picking up the black plastic bag beside him as he made his way into Hyehee’s ward.

              Taemin pulled his knees nearer to his chest as he leaned his head back against the wall. This is not going to work, he thought. I can’t just sit here; it’s not going to work.