iii | He was drawn to Minjung's tattoo

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

“For a person who went to bed crying, you’re up early.”

              “What? you, I didn’t go to bed crying,” Taemin scoffed as he went over to the counter. “You’re up early too, by the way.”

              “Yeah, I have a meeting later you see. I’m not so free, like you.” Key sighed, poking his fork into the sausage on his plate. “So you’re implying that I’m a freeloader or?”

              Taemin took a cup from the dishwasher and placed it on the counter. He sighed, it’s not like he wanted to live here freeloading Key, he was also finding apartment on his own but it just wasn’t easy to find an apartment so soon. 

              “Oh of course not, I’m just saying I’m busy, that’s all.” Key coughed, feeling his life at risk that he almost made Taemin pissed. Well, it’s just not a good time to make Taemin unhappy. Clearing his throat, he put down his utensils.

              “By the way, you were asking about Oh Minjung the other time,” Key started a conversation again. “I went to search about her, but of course, my skill is not as good as Jonghyun.”

              Taemin’s ear perked up at the name of Minjung. He looked up from whatever he was doing and looked toward Key’s direction, signaling him to continue what he was going to say.

              “But I’ve the basic info,” Key said and reached for a folded envelop inside the pocket of his coat, before passing it to Taemin when he walked over.

              “Oh Minjung, born in 18 July, age 24 this year. Little brother Oh Sehun, age 23. Both are orphans.”

              18 July, she has the same birthday as me. Taemin thought. Was it because of that that he always felt a sense of familiarity whenever she’s nearby? Or was it something else?

              Pushing the thought to the back of his mind, he leaned back against the seat. “I thought you could do better than these.” Taemin mocked, throwing the paper on the table. “ please; I have a business to run. Why don’t you find Jonghyun who is expert at these?” Key scoffed.

              “Hey I heard my name.”

              Both Key and Taemin turned their head, only to see Jonghyun coming in through the entrance door, opened by a maid.

              “Awesome,” Taemin smirked, giving a mocking glare to Key who just rolled his eyes, and instructed the maid to prepare two more sets of breakfast.

              “Hey Taem, long time no see.” Jonghyun grinned, giving a big brotherly hug to Taemin before sitting down on the other side of Key.

              The three of them chatted for a while, talking about how Jonghyun’s secret agent’s life was so dangerous but exciting at the same time for him, talking about how Taemin and Hyehee were still in complicated relationship, talking about everything and anything under the sun that the three of them would always talked about. Soon after the plates of breakfast were in front of Taemin and Jonghyun, they went back to the topic earlier on.

              “Oh Minjung?” Jonghyun raised one of his brows. Of course he heard and knows a bit about her, but having Taemin to ask about it, he wasn’t so sure if he could tell.

              “Hey you sound like you know something,” Taemin looked up from his plate and stared right into Jonghyun’s wandering eyes. “You do know I know when you lie.”

              Jonghyun sighed, putting down his utensils before putting his hands together.

              “I overheard it when people in my section were talking, but I wasn’t sure of the accuracy.” He paused, “I heard that she has this tattoo…something like a curled up sleeping dragon on her lower back.”

              Taemin and Key stopped moving for a second.

              “Morning,” they heard someone said and the two of them snapped their heads back, except for Taemin. “Oh, Jongyun oppa!” Hyehee smiled the moment she saw the agent. Jonghyun grinned, “hey my little princess, long time no see.”

              It took a moment for Taemin to regain his senses. “I hope she didn’t hear anything,” Key whispered inaudibly. “Morning Hyehee, had a good sleep?” He smiled.

              “Yeah, I was tired I guess.” She smiled and took a seat next to her beloved ‘brother’.

              “Another set of breakfast please,” Key told the maid in the kitchen, but Taemin stood up and stopped him. “It’s okay Key, she can have mine. I’m going up first,” and he pushed the plate of untouched food towards Hyehee.

              “Tae oppa…” Hyehee called out to him as he walked away but he did not turn back.

              She knew for sure they were talking about something, something she’s not sure if she could know, but it’s something that can affect them.

              Jonghyun and Key watched as Hyehee’s attention was still on the fleet of stairs that Taemin stepped on just now. Sighing, Jonghyun pick up his utensils again. “Hyehee,” he said.

              She turned to him, but he wasn’t looking at her. “You called?”

              “I just wanted to say after five years, you seemed more mature.”

              Hyehee let out a saddening smile, of course, it’s been five years. They went through s together and stayed overseas for five years, how can she not grow a bit?

              “Of course,” she smiled, picking up her fork and started eating.

 

 

“Holy . I slept for two days?”

              Minjung literally shot up from her bed when she saw the date and time on her cellphone. “What the ?” Her brows furrowed and at the exact same time, the door to her room flew opened.

              “You’re finally up; I thought I need to send you to the hospital. You’re like dead.” Sehun said nonchalantly as he leaned against the door. “Why didn’t you wake me up?” Minjung hissed.

              “You thought I didn’t try?” Her brother replied.

              She sighed while scratching her head, “Was I really that dead?”

              “Well, it’s true that I didn’t try though.”

              Minjung glared at her brother who decided to leave the room after saying something like that. “You—ugh!“

              She sighed again, it’s been long since she had a good sleep, and now she had a two days sleep. Sehun must have known that she was dead tired, that’s why he didn’t bother to disturb her.

              The door to her room opened again; doesn’t her brother know how to knock?

              “Come down for breakfast already, I made waffles.”

              “You made?”

              “Yes.”

              “Wait, aren’t you supposed to be in school at this timing?”

              “Maybe if you decide to get off the bed now, I won’t be late.” Sehun shrugged before closing the door again.

              That stupid brother

              Minjung pressed her face against the pillow and let out a tired growl, which came out as a muffled sound.

 

 

“I heard that she has this tattoo…something like a curled up sleeping dragon on her lower back.”

              Taemin stared at himself in the mirror after a hot bath, before tilting his body to see the tattoo on his right shoulder. He thought that the sleeping dragon was a design came up by his mother only, he never thought another person will have it.

              That’s why, he have to see it himself to decide if the tattoos look the same.

              “Tae oppa?” Hyehee knocked on the bathroom door. “You were in there for a while, are you okay?”

              He stopped breathing for a second and he had no idea why, was he afraid of something?

              “I’m coming out,” he responded and grabbed a plain top from the counter and put it on.

              “Aren’t you eating?” He asked once he stepped out from the bathroom. “I was, but you don’t seem like you so I came.” Hyehee replied as she sat on the edge of the bed.

              Taemin took a glance at her before walking over to the wardrobe, he sighed. “I’m going out later.” He said and laid his hand on one of the outerwear. “Where are you going?”

              Taemin swallowed a ball of saliva, he wanted to go and find Jiyong to ask about Oh Minjung. For some reason, she’s just bothering him so much. So much that maybe, Hyehee will be neglected by him.

              He turned around and headed towards Hyehee, before pulling her up from the bed for a hug. She was surprised, but wasn’t exactly surprised. She knows that he was troubled, he was thinking about something, and that something has got something to do with the person who looked a bit like him.

               “By the way, you were asking about Oh Minjung the other time,”

              She was standing behind the stairs when they were starting on the topic of Oh Minjung, and Taemin was actually the one who wanted her information. She knows, she knew it when they first met. She knew it when Taemin was staring at her with this expression that made her felt uneasy, as though they know each other for a very long time. 

               “Oh Minjung, born in 18 July, age 24 this year. Little brother Oh Sehun, age 23. Both are orphans.”

              Her heart sank for a second when she heard about them being orphans. She was once an orphan too, just a luckier one with two elder brothers. Suppressing the sadness in her heart, she moved an inch nearer to have better hearing but at the same time, Jonghyun came in through the front door. She was almost elated to see him but she still wants to hear what they will be talking about.

               “I heard that she has this tattoo…something like a curled up sleeping dragon on her lower back.”

              She wasn’t sure if having that tattoo was a big issue but one thing she was sure of, if she doesn’t stop the conversation now, Taemin is going to get lost in it.

              “Morning,” she said, taking steps carefully down the stairs with her eyes locked at Taemin who wasn’t even looking.

 

 

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

              “I don’t know, Hyehee, everything seemed like coincidence.” He sighed and fell on the bed with Hyehee in his arms. How great life will be if it’s simple, just cuddling with his precious girl and think of nothing else.

              “What seemed like coincidence?” she questioned, turning her body and face him.

              He took a breath and exhaled deeply through his nose, he doesn’t want to say anything yet, not yet.

              “I’ll be back in the afternoon. Till then, wait for me okay? Let’s go catch a movie and do some shopping,” he smiled and that smile literally took her breath away. She nodded and closed her eyes. Today will be an exciting day, hopefully.

 

 

“What did you say?” Jiyong let out a cough and sat there wiping the glasses.

              “I know right, I couldn’t believe it too.” Minjung sighed and rubbed her face with her hands. After having their breakfast together, she pleaded for Sehun to drop her off at BD before leaving for school. Having a brother that wasn’t adorable was such a pain in the .

              “To think I’ve to plead him to drive me here,” she pouted her lips and laid her head on the counter. “No I mean the fact that you slept for two days,” he put down the glass and run his hands under the faucet, “by the way I haven’t wipe that counter.”

              Minjung lift her head up at that instance and Jiyong wipe the counter swiftly with a clean towel.

              “But anyway, why don’t you drive on your own? Or ask your people to drive you here? You have plenty of choices, why cling on your little brother?” Jiyong returned to his tall stool, and sat there continue wiping the remaining wet glasses.

              “I love my little brother too much not to bother him,” Minjung giggled, staring at the guy in front of her. For some reason, simple action like wiping glasses attracts her so much.

              “Anyway, Lee Taemin, are you close with him?”

              Jiyong paused for a short moment, but she didn’t notice. “Why do you ask?”

              “Nothing much, just asking. He seemed like a tough guy, and by tough I mean rebellious.” She shrugged.

              Jiyong let out a small smile, “he was.” And it reminded him of the time when Jinki was around, when Jinki was gone, and when everything was in chaos.

              “But as someone who knows him before he was in the mafia, he changed a lot. He grew a lot, and he is getting better.” He smiled again, a wider one this time, as though he was so proud to see Taemin’s growth.

              “You didn’t answer my question,” Minjung raised one of her brows.

              “Yeah, but, well, I was closer with their brother.” Jiyong sighed, looking down at the glass that he was holding.

              “Who?” she asked, she knows about Lee Taemin and Lee Hyehee, but she don’t remember hearing anything about them having another brother.

              Two days ago when she first met the Lees, she wanted to know more about them, especially the guy. For some odd reason, she felt weird looking at him, just like how he felt weird looking at her. She wanted to ask more questions and perhaps go around and find out more details about them. Yes she heard of them, who doesn’t? That doesn’t mean anything. But she just had to get dead drunk on that very day, and worse, woke up only two days later.

              She mentally slapped herself.

              “Lee Jinki,” Jiyong said silently.

              “Why are you mentioning my brother’s name in front of a stranger?”

              Both of them turned and saw a certain model-liked guy entering the pub, and when Taemin sat down a seat away from Minjung, Jiyong stared into his blood-shot eyes.

              “Did you sleep?” he asked, with his eyes narrowed on him.

              Both of them knew what they were talking about. Taemin just knew about Siwon’s death yesterday, he lost another kin; of course he couldn’t sleep well.

              “So what if I didn’t? What more can I lose?” Taemin sighed; he had lost almost everyone already, what’s there to left?

              “What?” Jiyong questioned rather fiercely, causing Minjung’s ear to perk up. It was an unusual sight to see him getting worked up.

              “And what is Hyehee to you then?” The bartender challenged. “Five years ago, where is the guy who held the young girl’s hand and told me they’re leaving?”

              Taemin blinked, feeling a rush of guilt washing over him as he tugged on his hair furiously with his elbows on the counter. He felt like his heart was sagging down into an empty pit of darkens and he never want to get up again.

              He felt like his life was so messed up, and he felt even screwed when for a second, he forgot he had a precious girl with him.

 

 

Hyehee was staring at herself in the mirror until someone knocked on the door.

              “Hey,” a certain brown-haired lad popped his head in with a wide grin. “Can I come in?”

              Hyehee let out a gentle smile, “of course you can, Jonghyun oppa.”

              Jonghyun opened the door wider for him to enter before closing it behind him. “What were you doing?” He asked as he walked towards the bed and sat on the edge of it.

              “Nothing much, just thinking about what to wear for the date later,” she smiled; finally they’re going on a date later already. It’s been long since they done that. The last time was a year ago when they went shopping in town in California for her birthday present. Hyehee sighed, looking down at her infinite sign pendant chained by a silver white necklace.

 

“What do you want as your present this year?” Taemin beamed.

              It was a Sunday afternoon and no doubt the mall was crowded with people. Morning when they woke up, Taemin had suggested going to the mall after breakfast to choose a birthday present for her. Ever since young, he had never gotten anything for her and now that he felt slightly rich from his part time job, he decided to get something and he doesn’t mind using it all up.

              ‘Anything will do.’ Hyehee thought, she don’t care what present she’s getting as long Taemin will be with her forever.

              She hooked his arm as they walked around, and occasionally he will wrap his arm around her shoulder, giving her kisses on the head. It was hard not to think of them as a couple, but one thing that Hyehee noticed; Taemin always attracts the attention of other girls.

              Female that walked past them always seemed to turn back for a second look, and in the worst case scenario was that she would get judged. She wasn’t sure if she was thinking too much but maybe, just maybe, Taemin seemed too outstanding and she was just too normal.

              “Hyehee,” Taemin waved his hand in front of her eyes when she didn’t respond to him. “Have you fallen asleep?”

              Hyehee stared at him; don’t know whether she should laugh at his stupid joke in this Sunday afternoon. Anyway, Lee Taemin is not a person who makes stupid jokes. He only does stupid thing in front of Hyehee. “You haven’t answered me.”

              She raised one of her brows when she remembered that she answered him mentally, “Anything will do,” and she smiled.

              “Is it? Then let’s go here, I’ve always wanted to get you this.” Taemin beamed as he pulled her towards one of the luxury stores. Both of them stopped before the big and heavy glass door, waiting for the guards to open the door for them, and when they did, Taemin thanked them with a smile.

              “Come,” he softly said and held Hyehee’s hand as he showed her the way.

              “Hey mister, have you decided to get it this time?” one of the sales lady asked in English and Taemin responded with a chuckle. Hyehee kept quiet as she stared at the piece of necklace that Taemin pointed to her.

              “I came here quite a number of times; I really like this necklace and I think it suits you a lot.” He laughed, feeling a bit embarrassed that even the sales lady recognized him.

              It was a silver chain necklace that has an infinite sign pendant hanging on it. It was beautiful.

              “It must have cost a lot.” Hyehee whispered, but it’s no doubt that it was a good piece of work; and Taemin seemed to know that his precious girl actually liked the necklace.

              “I’ll get this then,” he said in English before taking a glance at Hyehee. “It must be pretty if you’re wearing it.”

              “Sure thing Sir,” the lady smiled, “you’re so lucky to have a boyfriend like him.” She said to Hyehee whom smiled in return.

              If only she can proudly say that he was her boyfriend.

 

“Beautiful,” Jonghyun said.

              “What was?” Hyehee asked when she composed herself. “Your necklace, Taemin got it for you right? You have this dreamy expression when you were touching it.”

              “Yeah,” she answered proudly, “it was beautiful isn’t it.”

              Jonghyun watched as the girl in front of him smiled, she was so beautiful, and he felt so glad he could watch her grow up into a fine lady. He couldn’t help but to recall the time when he first saw her, he was thinking that this girl look nothing like Taemin at all.

              “Before you go dating with Taemin, care to join me for a movie downstairs?” Jonghyun invited. Hyehee laughed, “Why not?”