x | We could be twins, Hyehee is leaving, and they got into an accident

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

When Taemin went to Minjung’s house directly from the pub, the housekeeper said that she wasn’t home.

              “Do you know where she went? Or what time she will be back?” He asked frantically. “No, but she mentioned that she won’t be back for dinner.”

              Taemin sighed, “Thanks.”

              He quickly find Minjung’s contact and dialed it, with one hand on his hip, he waited impatiently for her to pick up.

              “Taemin?

              “Minjung!” Taemin heaved a sigh of relief, “Where are you?”

              “Why?” Minjung asked as Taemin walked to his car. “I need to see you now.”

              “What, now? But I’m—

              “Give me your location, now.” And Taemin hung up the call, giving no time for her to argue.

              With a sigh, he sat in the driver seat, and when his phone lit up with message from Minjung, he starts the engine.

 

 

Hyehee’s eyes were fixed to the ground while the driver places her luggage in the boot of the cab. She gave him a small smile when he gestured for her to get in the car.

              “To the airport?” The driver asked, judging from the luggage from his passenger.

              “To the cemetery please,” Hyehee replied quietly with a sigh. The driver took a quick glance at her from the rear view mirror, pressing his lips together apologetically. “I’m sorry; I thought you were…since you had a big luggage with you.”

              “It’s okay; I’ll be heading to the airport after that.” Hyehee said with a smile, reassuring the driver that he didn’t do anything wrong.

              “I see,” the driver replied with a smile.

 

 

Ever since Taemin knew Minjung and was always out of the house without Hyehee, Jonghyun has always been looking out for her.

              Maybe it was because Hyehee was a girl that came into their complicated life as an innocent being and he was interested in her.

              Maybe it was because she was Taemin’s girlfriend that Jonghyun thinks he’s obliged to look after her.

              Maybe it was because he watched as the girl grew up from being a high school girl to a grown woman.

              Or maybe it was because he kind of like her.

              Sighing, he pressed on the doorbell, and waited. Taemin probably won’t be at home at this timing, he took a glance at his watch, he’s always not at home and Jonghyun had no idea what Taemin is thinking, leaving Hyehee behind.

              A good twenty seconds passed and Jonghyun thought that it was more than enough if Hyehee wanted to open the door. He sighed again, would it be better if he asked for the spare key from Taemin?

              Jonghyun raised his fist and hit on the door, loud enough for one of the neighbors to hear. “Sorry,” the agent quickly apologized and gave a smile, but if the knocking is loud enough for the fellow beside to hear, why wasn’t there anyone from this apartment responding?

              “Are you looking for the girl or the guy?” the neighbor asked. Popping his head out his door and stared at Jonghyun.

              “The girl,” Jonghyun replied. Mentally cursing that fellow for addressing them as ‘girl’ or ‘boy’, don’t they have names?

              “I saw her just now. She went out with her luggage. Are you her boyfriend? Had a tiff so fiercely that your girlfriend runs off?” he annoyingly teased before retreating back to his house with a laugh.

              Jonghyun very much feel like cursing the guy out loud but when he heard that Hyehee left, he couldn’t think anymore. Boyfriend? Do Taemin and Hyehee have so little interactions that even their neighbors don’t know that they were together?

              He took out his cell phone and made a call to Hyehee, hoping that she will pick up but his agent mindset told him that she won’t.

              But he still tried, and she did not pick up. “The number you’ve dialed is not responding, please try again later.

              Walking off to the lift, he dialed Taemin’s number. What the is Taemin doing now that Hyehee is leaving? He swears he is going to kill him if he’s with that Minjung woman again.

               “The number you’ve dialed is not responding, please try again later.

              “,” he cursed and pressed for the ground floor.

              Lee Taemin…!

 

 

“Taemin?” Minjung raised her brow when she saw Taemin brisk walked towards her. “I need to talk to you now.” Taemin said.

              “But I’m doing my nails,” Minjung said as a matter-of-fact, showing Taemin her half-done manicured nails. Taemin sighed; he his dried lips before pulling Minjung off her seat. “I said I need to talk to you, I mean it.”

              “What? Wait, I’m sorry Jae, I’ll be back in a minute!” She gave an apologetic look to her friend who promised to make her nails pretty for her date tonight.

               “So what is it so important that you have to see me earlier than eight tonight?” Minjung sighed, leaning forward on the clear tabletop with a hand holding a metal spoon and stirring the cup of coffee Taemin ordered for her.

              After dragging Minjung out from the shop, Taemin told her to get her car and followed his to the nearby café. Reason? The end of their conversation might not be pleasant and he probably doesn’t want her to walk home. Or maybe he just needed some time to sort out his thinking on how to question Minjung.

              But ever since they ordered the coffee, Taemin has been staring at her, and it was until when the coffee came, Minjung starts to feel uncomfortable with the staring.

              She took a deep breath and crossed her arms, “I’m sure you called me, asking me where I am, interrupting my manicure session and dragging me here, isn’t for the fact that you want to drill a hole in my face with your intense stare.”

              Taemin raised his brow; he hasn’t realized that he was staring at her for so long. He was just trying to figure out this girl in front of him, how alike were they?

              “When is your birthday?” Taemin questioned as he leaned back against the antique marble chair.

              “My birthday,” Minjung shrugged, “18th July, why?”

              “Where are your parents?” was his next question. “…or should I say, who are your parents?”

              Minjung thought she heard it wrongly, “…what?” she frowned. “Why are you asking about my parents? Or rather, you seemed like you know something.”

              “I do know something, in fact, a lot of things. I don’t know whether you know or find it a coincidence but I don’t think so.” He said.

              “I had a tattoo at my back, a sleeping dragon, identical to yours.” Taemin intertwined his fingers together. “I was born on 18th July as well, and we are both the same age.”

              “You’re not Sehun’s biological sister; you’re not from the Oh family.” He paused, he wasn’t sure if what he just said was true; he just inferred it, somehow. But when Minjung kept quiet, he was 90% sure that he didn’t say wrongly.

              “Right, you and Sehun were sold to the underworld when you were nine. But before that, I’m sure you have memories of yourself not being part of the family. Am I wrong?”

              “I’m impressed, I don’t know where you get your info from, but I’m sure as Lee Taemin, you can get your hands on anything in this area.” Minjung’s soft expression turned stern as she leaned back against the seat as well.

              “When I was five, I got adopted into Oh’s. Sehun was only four, he was still cute and little and he clings onto me so much I kind of detest him in the beginning.”

              She sighed, staring down at the table, “but the parents were always out, leaving only Sehun and I at home. We were young, but I grew up in an orphanage whereby I do things on my own. I took care of him, cook meals, clean the houses. As far as I remember, there were always moneylenders screaming outside the door. Sehun and I would be so scared; both of us hide under the table in the master bedroom.”

              “When they sold us to the underworld, I felt relief. I thought we were free from the scary environment. But I was so naïve, the scary environment at home was just an appetizer.”

              “I know how you feel, having to grow up in a dark world.” Taemin spoke softly, remembering the days he had in Phoenix clan when he was in his teens.

              “Both of us had similar past.” He said. “And that’s why, Minjung, I thought we could be…”

              He stopped, leaning forward and crossing his arms on the tabletop. “Twins.”

              Minjung blinked. “Twins?” She repeated with a laugh, it didn’t cross her mind at all that they were twins. What kind of reasons Taemin has? Out of nowhere and saying that they could be twins?

              “I’m serious, Minjung, I believe you felt it; the familiarity, the similarity, and all of the things that I said just now.” Taemin tried to get Minjung’s attention back but he probably lost it when he mentioned the highlight of their conversation. “What the hell? All of these don’t prove that we could be twins. I mean, the things you said are all so vague.”

              “I wasn’t very sure but there’s a chance. Minjung, there could—”

              “Stop, Taemin, do you even have any idea why I asked you out tonight?” Minjung cut Taemin off with a depressed tone.

              “I wanted to confess, I like you Taemin.” Her brows were furrowed with disapproval. “…How can you be my brother?” She asked quietly, and Taemin was loss at words.

              He lowered his gaze, looking at anything but her eyes. “I’m sorry,” was all he could say. He was sorry for misleading her, he really was.

              Minjung stood up, “you probably knew that I was going to confess, that’s why you make this ‘twins’ up to shut me off.” She hissed but clearly in her heart, she knew Taemin wasn’t that bad.

              How…how can she be so sure that Taemin wasn’t that bad? Was it really that Minjung could feel something? Like twin telepathy?

              “No…Minjung…Minjung!” He stood up and chased after her as she went out of the café. “Minjung, just get a test—”

              “Shut up Lee Taemin,” she turned around with a sad puppy look, “I don’t want to see you again.” she said before getting into her car.

              Taemin sighed, massaging his temple with a hand on his hip. Things weren’t going as he planned; he certainly did not expect Minjung to like him.

 

 

Hyehee sighed and stared out the window as he drives. The familiar neighborhood, the familiar landscape, the familiar skyscrapers, and it all leave Hyehee with a tearing eye again.

              She heaved the sigh of sadness away as she fidgeted with her bag, finding her cellphone just so she could at least inform Taemin about her leaving.

              Or…should she just leave like that?

              She took a deep breath, holding her cellphone within her hands as though she was going to make a big decision.

              But there was no time. When she looked up from her phone, she saw a headlights speeding towards the cab and before she could react, Hyehee felt a colossal impact. Tire screeches and piercing horn scream in her ear with her body slammed against the seatbelt once and the shattering glass sliced her face and arm. The phone slide out of her hand and hit the carpet of the cab with a soft thud.

 

 

But the next thing Taemin registered in his head, Taemin heard tire screeches and loud horns before people start shouting at the far end of the street. Soon after, passerby started to gather and made a huge commotion.

              And it took him a few seconds to recall that Minjung drove her car in that direction. “Minjung,” he breathed, before sprinting towards the commotion, avoiding and pushing people out of his way.

              “Minjung!” His face was tight with tension when he saw the accident in front of his very eyes. It was a collision of two vehicles, Minjung’s car and a coming cab. His ears were blocked out from the noises in the background but he could briefly hear that Minjung’s car was the one in the wrong lane.

              “Call the ambulance!” He shouted agitatedly at the few high school students standing near him, before running around Minjung’s car and get to the driver’s seat. “Minjung! Hey!” He fisted on the window, hoping to get some response from her who was leaned back unconsciously against the seat with a bleeding bruise on her forehead. “Oi!!”

              Taemin tried opening the door but it got stuck, he kicked it, and tried it again but it doesn’t work. “Oh Minjung!” He shouted again.

              When the ambulance arrived few minutes later, he watched as they knock opened the door and carried her on a stretcher. His eyes were so focus on Minjung that he didn’t notice another female being carried out from the cab.

              “The driver and female passenger were unconscious too.” He overheard one of the staffs said.

              “Are you a friend of hers?” The staff carrying Minjung asked Taemin, “yeah, is she going to be okay?”

              “She knocked her head against the steering wheel, from the look of it, it was okay but we are not sure if there’s internal bleeding. Would you want to come with us to the hospital?”

              “Sure,” Taemin blinked, getting into the ambulance with Minjung as he failed to notice a certain familiar girl was on another stretcher, getting into different ambulance.