bonus i | Origin of the Tattoo

The Tattoo of the Mafia returns

 

It was a windy afternoon.

                A gorgeous lady dressed in long black maxi skirt with a blue top was pushing a twin stroller down the street. She wasn’t any young lady that would make guys turn their heads back, but her elegant vibe couldn’t stop people from taking a second look at her. Her long brown locks got pushed by the wind and it swing in the direction of it.

                She stopped in front of the old tattoo shop and she stood there for a while looking at the signboard, before lowering her head to look at the two babies in her stroller. “Will the both of you hate me in the future knowing that I did this to you?”

                The babies were so small, but it seems like they understood what the lady just said. Both opened their mouth and a silent yawn came out as they wave their hands a few times in the air. The lady let out a comforting smile as she pushed the stroller into the store.

 

“What did you say?” the man who looked like he’s in his 70s had a shock look. He pressed his lips together and resume to what he was doing before the lady stepped into the shop. He picks up another needle and clean it using alcohol wiper.

                “Just because I was an old friend of your dad’s and I watch you since birth, that doesn’t mean you can come here and make a ridiculous request.” He said, focusing on the needle in his hand.

                “I…” the lady paused, swallowing her saliva. “I just…” she paused again, not knowing how to explain.

                “Please leave,” the owner said, not looking up.

                “Please, I need this to be done. I’m here for you because you’re the oldest tattoo artist in town with the richest experience. I understand this is not an easy job—,”

                “I’m sorry,” he slammed his needle on the table, “not only this is not an easy job, this is impossible.” He finally stood up from his seat and walked to the stroller, he took a breath. “First, you know that I only tattoo phoenixes. And let’s put aside the pain that some adults might not even handle it, the substances in the ink might even affect your children’s growth. They are just a few months old. Pardon me but, are you out of your mind?” he squinted at her.

                He knows that she was Lee Hyori. The daughter of the Phoenix’s, one of the two biggest mafia group in town. He was an old friend of her father and he did all the phoenix tattoo for the men in Phoenix’s. He frowned, he doesn’t remember hearing anything about her being a lunatic and instead, he heard that she was a clear minded beautiful lady with a different mindset from her father. She doesn’t approve of what her father does but because she has his blood, she doesn’t rebel. He watches her since young until a year ago she went missing, hiding into the dark without anyone knowing. Just recently he heard her father saying that she resurfaced with a pair of twins.

                There was a long pause until the babies opened their eyes and look around. “They are Siwon’s.” Hyori said, her voice soft and clear but it sounded so loud in the small shop.

                The old man inhaled sharply, “…what did you say?”

                “You heard me,” Hyori didn’t want to repeat it. “I know I betrayed the family. But I love him.”

                “Your father knows about it, right?” he asked.

                “He does, and he broke us up on the night that I found out I was pregnant.” She paused. “I want to give birth to the love that belongs to us, I know father won’t agree to it, so I went away into hiding.”

                She looked up at him with pleading visible in her eyes. “Please, help me.”

                The old man sighed, “show it to me.”

                Hyori quickly reach into the pocket of her skirt for a piece of paper. There was a drawing on it.

                “A sleeping dragon?” he said, picking up his long-sighted glasses from the table and putting it on for a closer look.

                “Yes, a quiet, curled up sleeping dragon that doesn’t want to be awaken…” she said. “I don’t want them to forget their real identities, but at the same time, I don’t wish for them to be involve in the mafia world.” She held her hands together in front of her, as if she was waiting for her teacher to grade on her homework.

                “Very meaningful,” the old man nodded, before looking at the children again. “They are going to cry very badly.”

                “I know you can do it.” she let out a small smile, lowering her body and carrying the baby with a blue overall out. The old man quickly went to the drawer and took out a stack of towel on the table before Hyori places the baby on it.

                Very soon, the tattoo artist started his work. The crying from both the babies are driving Hyori insane but she knew what she was doing was right.

                She took out two photos from the back of the stroller, the first one was a picture of her and Siwon. It was taken on their first date when the freelance photographer on the street decided that both were too good looking not to be captured. She smiled, swapping it to the back and it was another photo with the twins.

                Hyori looked around the shop before walking to the counter. She looked at the photo for a few seconds, with the crying still in the background, she flipped the photo over and took a pen from the counter.

                ‘I’m sorry’

                She wrote.