Father's Smile

A Father's Story

 

 

 

The rain was falling hard like chanyeol’s tears, he was holding into his 6 years old daughter’s hand and his 4 years old son on his arm as they take their final glance at his wife before she get cremated. His wife died because of an accident, he was grieving at his lost, the other part of him died with his wife, the thoughts of happy family suddenly vanished. Only his children give him reason to be strong and to continue their life.

“appa, don’t cry” his daughter chanshin said as she tug into the hem of his shirt. Chanyeol look at her daughter before he bent down for her. she was also crying, chanyeol wipe her tears and faintly smile at her.

“appa I don’t want to see you cry anymore, please appa smile again” chanyeol soften at his daughters word. Yes, he was currently grieving for the loss of his wife but he realized there was his child that was depending on him. He needed to be strong for them, to make them happy, and to be with them until his last breath.

“im sorry princess if you saw appa like this, I was just so sad knowing that umma is not with us anymore” chanshin keep on sobbing while looking at chanyeol her hair.

“I don’t want to see appa cry, I want to see appa smile because it made me smile too, it made me happy knowing that appa is happy too” with her words, chanyeol hug his daughter tightly who is still sobbing in his shoulder. He never knew his daughter was also thinking about him, his heart clench hearing her cries. That day, he promised himself that he will never cry and will smile just for his children.

 

6 years after

“hey princess, wake up now, you’ll be late for school” chanshin open her eyes to see her appa smiling down at her. She sleepy rubs her eyes and get up from her bed.

“good morning appa.!!”she beam, chanyeol ruffled her hair.

“good morning princess, go wash up now and eat breakfast after, changsub is already eating his second plate of pancake” she nodded and lazily drag herself in the bathroom to wash herself.

After getting ready for school, chanshin went to the kitchen to find her brother changsub and chanyeol eating breakfast.

“good morning noona..!!” changsub greeted her with mouthful of foods, she chuckled and ruffled his hair before she took the seat beside him.

“eat up now, you’ll be late for school” chanyeol told her daughter, changshin nodded and start to dig in.

After breakfast, chanyeol drive his children to school, they were talking and laughing on their way, mostly chanyeol is the one who crack some jokes and his two children won’t stop from laughing.

“be good okay?” chanyeol reminded the two kids before they hop out of the car.

“neh appa, I’ll take a good look at changsub” chanshin said, chanyeol just smiled and nodded, he knows that chanshin is taking good care of her brother in the school. But before chanshin close the car door, she suddenly faced her appa with a smile in her face.

“appa, don’t forget to always smile okay because when you smile you make us smile too” then she close the door and went away. With those simple words chanyeol’s felt like he was floating with unknown feelings, how lucky he is to have sweet children. After his wife died, his two kids was the only source of his happiness, he always smile even though he look like a retard in some ways but he could care less as long as his children are happy.

 

When chanshin and changsub reach their teen age year, everything changed but chanyeol still remain as their appa who smiles no matter what happen, he thought they’ll remain as his sweet kids but he was wrong.

Chanshin pov

High school senior year was awesome, I definitely enjoyed my friends company, we hang out and talked about everything. Since senior year is about to end, we decided to hang out later after school and meet some boys. I was walking on the hallway when I saw my crush, lee minhyuk, I have crush on him since freshman year, and I know he is aware of my feeling because I just confessed to him last week. I can feel my heart thumping from my chest, my feet felt cold and I froze when he smiled at me sweetly, i was about to approach him and say hi when I heard other student talking.

“I heard he just confessed to minhyuk” I heard some student’s talking to each other.

“yeah, I heard it too, does she think minhyuk will like her back?tsk”

“she’s delusional, I bet she was a retard too like her father” laughter can be heard, yes I heard it all and I know minhyuk heard it too, because of embarrassment I walked passed him and hurriedly went to my classroom. When I thought everything’s alright, suddenly it came crashing down again. It all started during middle school when they bullied me and my brother calling appa names like retard and creeper. They said because of his smile that he looked like a creeper. We don’t want appa to know that so me and changsub decided to not let appa drive and pick us up from school. I don’t want appa to be upset again, I don’t want to see him like before when umma died. I tried to stop my tears from falling. I don’t want them to see I’m weak.

During lunch break, I went to our usual spot in the cafeteria with gloomy face, those insults still linger in my head, I thought they would stop calling appa insulting names when they wouldn’t see him anymore near school but I was wrong. I found my friends already eating their lunch, I went to seat on the right corner and eat my lunch silently after I greeted them. They seem to notice my gloomy face and asked me questions but before I talk back, we heard a loud thud and the next thing we see was a fight between two guys. I widen my eyes when I saw that it was changsub gripping into another student’s collar. I hurriedly went to him to stop him but I was already late, he already punched the other guy in the face. I immediately hug his back stopping him to launch himself to the other guy.

“don’t you dare call my appa retard again and I’ll make sure you’ll have a deform nose next time” changsub said before he went out of the cafeteria. I followed him out, I know he’s hurting too hearing those insulting words. I found him sitting under the tree, I went towards him and seated beside him.

“im sorry noona for what happen a while ago at the cafeteria” he apologized, I can’t blame him. I know he endured all those bullying for quite a while now.

“no, it’s okay, it’s actually good, they already learn their lessons not to bully the park siblings” I said as I smiled at him. He faintly smiled at me before he lay on my lap, we still have a few more minutes before lunch break ends. I caress his hair as he closed his eyes. i missed this kind of moment where we have a peaceful time, just the two of us.

“you know noona, I kind of feel bad for appa, I know he noticed our change, I feel guilty though” I let out a sigh, yes, we’ve changed but it’s for appa, we don’t want him to be broken again just because of silly things other people are fussing about.

“me too, but it’s for him anyway” yes it’s for appa, I just hope we succeed

End of pov

 

When the sibling arrived at their house, they found their father on the living room doing his work, with his eyeglasses on and a messy hair, chanyeol greeted his children with smile like he always do, the sibling naturally smiled back at him. Chanyeol is a writer that’s why he can be able to stay at home. He liked it, he got a job that can sustain their everyday life at the same time he can take care of his children too.

“are you tired?” chanshin asked her appa as she went towards him. Chanyeol shook his head with smile still in his lips, oh how the siblings love to see that smile.

“how about you? How’s school?” the siblings look at each other nervously before chanshin smiled at her appa.

“it’s fine.,just normal school days.”  Chanyeol just nod and went to his work.

“there is food in the kitchen if you are hungry okay” he said as the siblings went to their room.

As soon as his children were already on their room, chanyeol let out a heavy sigh, he tried to be happy in front of his children but with something going on in his mind he can’t help but to feel down. He knew that something was going on with his children and it all happen in school. So he decided that tomorrow he will find out what it is.

Next day, after the siblings bid goodbye to their father, it was chanyeol’s cue to get ready. He know that it can make his children mad but he can’t take it anymore, with those things in his mind, conclusion and everything, he wanted to make it clear as soon as possible. He spend a few hours working and when the time came, he hurriedly went out of their house.

 

Changsub is currently on his way to the cafeteria, the bell just rang for lunch break. He was walking swiftly careful not to bump into some students who are hurriedly heading their way to the cafeteria just like him. When he got his lunch, he went to the school field to eat his lunch under the shady tree, he didn’t want to be with does peasant as he called them. He was still upset how they called his appa with silly names connecting to his smile. He took aside those thoughts and enjoy his lunch when suddenly his eyes caught something, a tall man walking, with big eye glasses on, he knew with just his walk that it was indeed his father, he abruptly stood up and with wide eyes he went toward chanyeol, his father saw him already and was smiling to him as always. Those smiles never fail to lift changsub’s mood no matter what. It is the only thing that can calm him down.

“oh so the retard was here to visit his dumb children” changsub head automatically turn to where the voice come from, he saw on his side standing with his minions the ultimate bully of his life, he glared at him hard but the bully didn’t budge.

“I thought I’ll never have a chance to see that funny face of your retard father” students are now crowding at them. Changsub saw how his father’s face fell upon hearing how the bully called him, it gives him so much pain in his heart, because the only thing he’s avoiding the most is to see his father’s sad face.

“stop this non sense thing, you can insult me whenever you want but you’re not allowed to talk about my father like that” changsub was already gripping into the bully’s collar, but the latter just scoffed at him. Then someone hold changsub’s arm calming him down, he saw his sister with worried face looking at him.

“changsub that’s enough, let him go, you don’t want to be punish right?” changsub looked at her hurt still visible in his eyes and roam his eyes to see his father still there looking at them with pained expression, chanshin follow where changsub was looking and gasp upon seeing their father standing a few feet away from them. Her heart sunk not seeing her father’s smiling face but instead a very heartbreaking expression.

“the reunion of the retard family. I haven’t seen your father for a while, is it because he just got out of the asylum..what a creep” and that did it, chanshin can only grasp at her brother’s waist as changsub punched the hell out of the bully, chanshin thought that she can’t do anything about an out of control changsub but then her heart soften seeing the familiar warmth holding her shoulder to set her aside and a muscular arm pulled changsub out of the fight. Chanyeol was furious, yes, but not because of how the student’s treat him, he was more disturbed on how they treat his children.

“you bastard, you wouldn’t get away with it, I’ll make sure you’ll get expelled, you and your retard father and sister wouldn’t step a foot here at school” the bully furiously said as his minions help him to stand up. Changsub was about to attack again but chanyeol was holding him tightly.

“are you always like this” it was the first time that chanyeol uttered a word after all the fight. The sibling’s looked at him with wide eyes anticipating his next move.

“w..w.wwhat?!” the bully stutter as he saw the looks that chanyeol is giving him.

“are you always bullying everyone around and called them names? Then if that so, do you think you’re more of a creeper than me?” changsub and chanshin was shocked hearing those words from chanyeol, never in their life that chanyeol talked to them sternly. NEVER.

“maybe not a creeper but more a retard. If I were you I wouldn’t open my mouth anymore if you don’t have something good to say, you’re dumbness is getting obvious” then chanyeol turn his back and hold both of his children’s hand.

“and by the way, you can’t expelled them because of 2 reasons, first because you’re the one who started it, and second our family owned the school” then the 3 left  the crowd with big revelation. On their ride back home, no one utter a word. The sibling’s was hurt seeing no trace of smile in their father’s face thinking that they failed protecting their father. when they arrived home, chanyeol still didn’t utter a single word, he just let the two inside and was about to go do his work when chanshin spoke.

“appa im sorry” chanyeol stop on his track and look at his daughter who’s head hung low.

“me too appa, im really sorry about everything” changsub joined his sister standing in her side who’s tears are already falling from his eyes.

“we failed on keeping you smiling, we are afraid that you’d be broken again because of those things and the last thing we don’t want to happen is for you to be sad” chanyeol soften, his heart felt like floating in the air, he taught all along it was him who hurt the most but hearing those words from his children he realized that his children are also struggling to keep him happy.

He went towards them and hugged them both. The siblings burst into tears while clinging into their father shirt that’s getting soak with their tears. Chanyeol chuckled a little seeing that his children are already grown up, the one who he took care of, the one who he protected are now the one who is protecting him.

“you don’t need to be sorry, im not mad with the both of you, actually im mad about letting those bully do that to you, it doesn’t matter to me what others call me, they can call me whatever they want because the most important thing in this world for me are the two of you. The both of you are enough to keep me smiling every day, seeing you healthy, seeing you happy, the both of you being here with me, hearing your voice, cries, laughter. That’s was all enough to keep me from smiling no matter what happen, I’ll smile like an idiot”  

 

*sorry if i dissappoint you with this story but im still hoping you will like it still.. ^^

and again as always ^^ sorry for the typos and wrong grammar.. :)