Father's Secret

A Father's Story

 

“appa let’s play soccer!!” kim minhyun yelled to his father’s minseok. Minseok just smiled to his son and jogged towards him.

“okay, if you win I’ll buy you ice cream but if you lose you’re going to eat your veggies during diner arraso?” minyun pouted a little.

“can you change your consequence appa, you know how I hate to eat veggies” he pretend to gagged and his father just laugh at him.

“no can do, and besides veggies are good for you” minseok patted his sons head who still pouting at him.

“okay, I’ll agree but you need to help me eat it appa” minhyun stuck out his tongue to his appa and run towards the field. Minseok just let out a chuckled and followed his son.

Kim minhyun, minseok’s 8 years old son was the one he considered the best thing that happened in his life. They can be considered as a happy family that loved and understand each other. Minseok loved his son so much that he worked hard for him to get him study in a private school. And minhyun adores his appa so much, he always said that he wanted to be like his appa when he grew up. They have the best father and son relationship and minseok is so glad that everything turns smoothly in his life.

“yah kim minhyun, appa is already tired now, come on let’s go home” minseok yelled to his son while panting and sweat all over his body.

“but appa I need to defeat you, I don’t want to eat veggies for dinner” minhyun whined. Minseok ruffled his head before he put his arm into his shoulder.

“how about this, I’ll buy you ice cream then you’ll eat your veggies later” minhyun looked at his father for a while thinking about his offer

“okay, I think it’s fair enough” he grinned at minseok before his father drag him towards the convenient store to buy ice cream.

 

When minhyun reach his first year in high school, minseok gave everything he needs. Although their bonding time lessened they still manage to enjoy their time together. They always played soccer every weekend when they are both free and ate ice cream after. Minseok make sure that he have enough time for minhyun, he don’t want their relationship to change, he wanted to be the first person that his son talk to when he have a problem, the person to tell his secrets, the person he can cry on, the person he can rely on and the person he trust the most. That’s how he loved minhyun. That’s how he wanted to be as a father to minhyun.

But it all change when minhyun reach his senior year. The secret that minseok was hiding all along revealed without him knowing it. It was one night when minhyun went home late. He was silently walking in their house afraid to get caught when he heard his father talking to his mom.

“minhyun is a teenager now, soon he’ll live independently and leave us here” his mother said as she gave minseok his coffee before she seat beside him

“that’s how it is anyway, that’s why we guide them to a better life so that when the time comes when they are ready to live by themselves they will know how to do it” minseok explain as he lovingly hold his wife’s hand. Minhyun smile upon seeing his parents being sweet with each other. He has a happy family indeed, he thought. He was about to go to his room when he heard the unexpected thing that he never think of.

“I’m so thankful to you minseok, you treat minhyun as your own son and save me from disgrace and love us so much” minhyun widen his eyes, his mind froze upon hearing those words. Without him knowing, he run towards his room and shut the door close as the tears stream down his face, he can’t believe it, the man he believe his father, the man that he trust the most, the most important man in his life is not really blood related to him. He felt like his heart will explode from the pain. All he can hear is the pain that his heart is screaming and the fact that tattooed in his mind.

After knowing the truth, minhyun distant himself to minseok, he slack in school, he went home in midnight, he start to learn to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes. For him, being like that make him feel numb, numb to the pain he feels, the truth he can’t accept. Minseok notice the changed with his son and he is getting worried about it. When the school called him, he know that his assumptions are true. So he decided to talk to his son, him and her wife waited for minhyun to arrive home until midnight. When they heard the front door at exactly 12 they know it will be a long conversation.

Minhyun was startled to found his parents awake at this time, sitting in the living room waiting for him. He didn’t look at them in their eyes, he already know what this talk is all about.

“minhyun we need to talk to you” minseok said but it shocked him to see how minhyun react. He just scoped at them.

“yeah, like I will listen to you” minseok didn’t understand that time where the hatred coming from minhyun, he’s not the minhyun he raised, he’s not the son he knows.

“minhyun don’t you dare disrespect your father” minhyun mother yelled to him. Minseok hold into his wife’s hand calming her.

“why? Is it because I should be thankful to him for accepting me as his son even though im not his real son? Is that what you want me to say?” they widen their eyes, they didn’t know minhyun already found out the truth that they promised to keep until they died. Minseok’s heart torn into pieces seeing minhyun’s fist curled tightly and eyes glassy. His mother was already crying, minseok can’t blame his son if he felt betrayed, it was so heartbreaking to know it suddenly.

“I know it already for a while now,” minhyun faintly said. He can’t look into his parents eyes, especially minseok’s, afraid that he’ll burst into tears.

“is that the reason why you behaving like this?’ minseok calmly said. Minhyun gulp so hard before he looked at minseok straight in the eyes.

“yes, because in this state, I felt numb, numb from the pain, numb from the truth I can’t accept, I don’t know how to look at you anymore, I can’t even call you appa anymore, it’s like my throat was clogged whenever I want to call you, as my heart torn into pieces so as myself” minseok saw how the tears stream down minhyun’s face before he storm out of their house. Minhyun cried so hard seeing the look minseok give him, it was still the look whenever minseok comforted him when he was still young, the look that tell him that everything will be alright as long as he’s in his side, the look that tell him how much he loves him.

 

The next day, minhyun found himself in the police station after him and his friends got into a big fight. He didn’t expect anyone to come and get him and he will spend his few days there. But he was wrong when he saw minseok enter the police station, he was happy to see him and sad at the same time, how can minseok be so kind to him all this time knowing that they are not blood related. After minseok successfully bring out minhyun from the police station, they found themselves in the soccer field both sitting in the field while looking at the sky, well minseok was, while minhyun was looking at his lap afraid to meet his father’s eyes.

“I wanted to say sorry to you for keeping the truth” minseok break the silence that envelopes them a while ago, minhyun knows that minseok is sincere but he can’t accept it telling to himself that he was the one at fault.

“I actually wanted to keep it for the rest of my life because I don’t want you to leave me, yes im selfish because I wanted to give you the best life, to be the best father. but I guess I failed huh” minhyun saw how minseok face turn gloomy. He never blame minseok, he actually blame himself.

“no, you didn’t do anything wrong, it was me who reacted so badly, it was all my fault, you was so good to me, raised me well, gave me the good life but all I did is to disappoint you, disrespect you, I should be the one apologizing now” he felt ashamed, it was never minseok’s fault that he was good to him, that he treasured him so much.

“im sorry for all the trouble, mianhe appa” and with that simple words, minseok’s tears fall from his eyes, minhyun was shock to see his father cry for the first time. He felt incredibly bad for making him cry. Minseok hug him tightly.

“you don’t need to apologize minhyun, I don’t blame you, im just so happy that you understand it already” minhyun soften, how can his father be this kind. He never saw the bad things that minhyun have done, he was so understanding.

“mianhe appa, please let me be your son again” minhyun said as the tears flowed from his eyes, minseok already stop from crying, when he heard the sobs that his sons is making he broke the hug and saw his tear stained face, he smiled at him and ruffled his hair.

“you are always appa’s son no matter what” and they both smiled to each other.

 

*minseok is XUIMIN's real name, sorry for using their real name, i might get you confused.. >_^

sorry for the typos and wrong grammar^^ because i don't have a chance to check it again..mianhe.. :(

i hope you like xuimin's story..i'll update again soon..^^*