Father's Happiness

A Father's Story

 

 

*CRASH*

I woke up with the loud crashed coming outside our room. With eyes still half open, I stood up and went outside to see what’s going on. Clothes and toys scattered everywhere while my wife talks to someone on the phone with our 8 months old baby on her arms. I rub my sleepy eyes and went towards them. As soon as my wife saw me, she smiled at me; I kiss her head and took our baby from her arms. I don’t know what’s going on so I just looked at my wife with questioning eyes, she smiled apologetic at me. Since I think that she’s going to take a while on the phone, I took a seat on our couch with our baby still in my arms. She was giggling at me, her hands are wet from her saliva since she can’t stop it, I tried to stop her but she will just put it back again, I just gave her a toy to played with when I lay her down the couch, I’m still not that used to babysit my daughter since im always busy with work, i usually have a little time like this with her when I don’t have work, my wife actually wanted me to learn how to babysit since she said it is a MUST for a father to know it. After a couple of minutes my wife seat beside me, she hugged me from my side and take a peek at our daughter who is still lying on the couch beside me.

“who are you talking with on the phone?” I asked her while I wipe the saliva from my daughter’s cheek.

“It was umma, she wanted me to help her with grandma and grandpa’s anniversary celebration” she said as she took our daughter and put her on her lap.

“so..are you going?” she just nod at me, her attention is still on our daughter.

“and I wanted you to take good care of mimi ok?” I widened my eyes. ME? All alone with my daughter? I look at my wife with are you serious look.

“why? She’s your daughter though, and I told you before you should learn how to babysit her, and don’t worry I’ll be back tomorrow morning so you’ll have a whole day and night with our mimi” and that’s it, I felt like I paled hearing it from my wife, it’s not like I don’t like to be with my daughter, actually I like playing with her and make her laugh but that’s all I can do, im worried that I can’t take care of her since I don’t know how to. I don’t want to harm my daughter in any way though.

“but, can’t we just go with you?” I asked hopefully, she shook her head playfully and all I can do is to pout at her.

“you can do it tao, actually it was your chance to have a father-daughter bonding time and besides it’s time for you to learn how to take care of her” she said, I admit I lose at today’s battle with my wife. I let out a heavy sigh and just nodded at her. she beamed at me.

“look mimi, you’ll be spending time with baba..YEHEY..!!” my wife playfully said while she wave my daughter’s hand. Mimi squealed loudly. I chuckled at them, my worries vanished as soon as I saw my daughter’s smile.

“when you bath her make sure that her water is warm enough okay, and I already cleaned her bottles, make sure to dress her warmly, I don’t want her to become sick when I came back” I just nodded at her, we are on our room while she get ready, mimi was in my lap playing with my fingers. I still can’t believe that my wife is going to leave our daughter with me for the whole day until night. When she was done we went outside, me and mimi lead my wife to the door and bid goodbye.

“mimi be a good girl okay? Don’t make baba go crazy” my wife kiss our daughters cheek’s while she squeal cutely.

“and tao please, don’t panic, just call me if you need to know something okay?” well, I don’t really have a choice so I just nod at her, she kiss me before she bid goodbye.

And I am alone now with my daughter, she was still in my arms, I look at her and she was looking at me amusingly with her doe like eyes that she get from my wife while she was her thumb.

“I guess it’s just you and me for now mimi” she just squealed and playfully hit me with her fingers that’s drenched with her saliva. I cringed and wipe the saliva from my face.

“aigoo mimi, don’t drenched baba’s face with your saliva.” Well, what should I expect from my daughter, she just shrieked and hit my face again.

 

I took her in our kitchen and put her on the high chair while I prepare her food.

“tao you can do it, you’re just going to feed her, it’s not that difficult” I mumble while I prepare her food, I can hear her squeals, my daughter is such a hyper kid.

“okay mimi, say ahh..!!” I said as I put the spoon in front of her, she looked at the spoon for a while then grab the spoon from my hand.

“no baby, DON’T!!, you’ll get messy”  I flinched as the food went all over me, yes, we both got messy. She just laugh or rather squealed, I let out a heavy sigh.

“I think I need to take a bath too” I helplessly said. Oh how my daughter made me like this. After feeding her, I put her on her crib as I get her bath ready. When I went back I saw her cheekily smile at me, my daughter looks naughty, she so cute that I slightly pinch her cheeks.

“aigoo my mimi always make baba smile no matter what she have done to baba” I said as i took her out from the crib. She smiled at me and hug me suddenly, I was taken aback, my daughter is being sweet, I soften feeling her hug tighten and her breath on my neck.

And as usual, as I bath her she didn’t fail to make a mess and when we went out of the bathroom, I was already drench with water and all she did is to squealed and laugh at me. After I dressed her, I put her again on her crib and let her play with her toys while I change my clothes. When I went back I saw her cuddling with the panda stuffed toy, she was squealing uncontrollably. There is suddenly a warm feeling inside my body as soon as I saw my daughter laughing, all the tiredness and irritation I felt vanished just by her smiles. Is this the magic of having a child? I took a seat in front of her as I watch her playing with her panda stuffed toy, my eyes slowly dropping down, I was on my way to dreamland when I heard mimi cries, I immediately went towards her and check if she was hurt, I took her in my arms and start to sway her to stop her from crying, but she didn’t stop, she just cry more loudly.

“baby please stop crying, baba is getting worried, are you hurt?” I dumbly asked my 8 months old daughter as if she can talk to me. I’m hopeless, why I am so dumb when it comes to taking care of her, I kind of feel helpless and worried, should I call my wife now? But she might be busy right now. What should I do? I keep on swaying her until all I can hear is her faint sobs. She snuggled closer to me and rested her head on my shoulder, I continue to sway and found her already sleeping in my shoulder. I smiled seeing her peacefully sleeping with tear stained face, I went to our room and carefully laid her, i put pillows around her to secure her from falling and slowly wipe her face, I chuckled hearing her soft snore, I laid beside her and when she squirm a little I softly tap her thigh to soothe her. And soon I join her to dreamland.

 

I woke up when I felt a weight in my stomach, when I open my eyes, I saw my daughter laying on my stomach looking at me amusingly. I smiled at her and she just continued to look at me with furrowed eyebrows.

“hey baby, is something wrong?” I said when I sit up and put her on my lap. She was just looking at me curiously. When suddenly…

“BABA!!” she squealed, I widen my eyes hearing her first word. I suddenly felt cold and the feeling of excitement build up in my stomach.

“mimi did you call me baba?!say it again please baby” I excitedly said, I look at her with anticipation,

“BABA!!BABA!!” I chuckled at her. I can’t describe the feeling I am experiencing right now, I stood up and playfully tickle her. and when I return from my senses I grabbed my phone and dial my wife’s number. In few rings she answered.

“jagiya listen to this okay” I excitedly said as I put the phone in front of my daughter.

“baby say baba again” mimi just look at me before she smile and squeal again.

“BABA.!!” I can hear my wife’s voice squealing on the other line. My smile can’t take off from my lips.

“oh my god tao, did she just said baba?” and there goes our 30 minutes conversation over the phone, she made mimi called her mama and after a few minutes persuading her she finally called her mama, I was happy to hear that from my daughter, this feeling is so overwhelming, that my lips can’t stop from smiling, that by only with sweet words and smiles, hearing their voice and feel their warmth, the children can make their parents smile. I feel proud as a father, I feel overjoy, this is one of the best thing that happen in my life, now I know how a child can make their father’s smile.

 

*actually im not confident with this story..sorry if i disappoint you :(

because i think sad story doesn't suit tao and i come up with this story..

the good side is it wasn't a sad one..^^

i'll do better with my next story..thank you for reading..:)