Father's Responsibility

A Father's Story

 

 

*DINGDONG*

“ugh” I groggily open my eyes, who the heck ringing my doorbell at this hours, it’s still early. I reached for my phone on the side table and let out a grunt seeing that it was already 9:30 in the morning.

*DINGDONG*

“aish, who the hell is that?” I stood up and put my shirt on before I dash out of my room to get the door. I was about to scold the person who was intruding my sleep thinking it was just my foolish friend when I found a middle age lady standing in front of me. She raised an eyebrow, shoot, I was still in my bed hair, I hurriedly ruffled my hair to make me more presentable then she cleared that made me stop from what I am doing and turn to look at her.

“Uumm, sorry if I disturb you somehow, but by any chance are you Mr. Kim Jongin?” I squinted my eyes at her, do I know her from somewhere, why is she asking for me.

“aahhhm,,yes, what can I do for you?” I asked curiously, she let out a sigh and grab an envelope from her bag.

“do you happen to know Ms. Lee Sunmin?” okay, it’s strange, why she was suddenly asking for my ex-girlfriend.

“yeah, why?” I questioned her, she handed me the envelope, I immediately took it and look inside to find papers, I furrowed my eyebrows at the sight of it.

“I hope you wouldn’t be shocked but I guess you would, you are minjong’s father” I widen my eyes, did I heard it right?me?father? and who’s minjong? I was about to ask her again when I saw from the corner of my eyes, there was a boy standing on her left with a lost look on his eyes, I didn’t notice him a while ago because he was so quite.

“wait, how can you be so sure that I am his father?” the lady give me a looked, how the hell I would know that I am his father when I don’t even heard sunmin got pregnant, it can be some other guy though.

“im sorry to inform you Mr. kim, if you don’t mind, we have a research about Ms. Lee and we found out the you’re the only guy that he have an affair. By the way, im a social worker from the children’s shelter, minjong was with us for 3 years now since his mother abandoned him, we are searching for his possible relatives, then we found you, you are his only family now since his mom was missing, you freely have a right to conduct a DNA test if you are doubting, please visit our office if you have some question. Have a nice day.” Then she handed me a calling card and went away. I was left there frozen from my spot, how it all happen so suddenly, in just a few minutes I’ve been a father to a kid that I never knew that exist. I turned my head to my left to see the little boy still standing while looking at me with his emotionless eyes, his eyes looked different, it looked sad.

The next thing I know, I was sitting on my couch with the little boy sitting in front of me. Man this feeling was different, I don’t know but I felt a little tingly feeling inside me. Is he really my son? looking at him, he have most of his features from sunmin but I think he have mine too. Aish, I don’t know what to think now, I move a little bit forward to look at him closely.

“so, you’re minjong right?” I asked nervously, geezz, why I am even nervous with this boy, he looked at my eyes for a second before he nodded.

“how old are you?” his eyes looked sad and cold, I wonder why.

“8” he plainly replied, oh so much for a conversation, geez. I cleared my throat, it’s getting awkward.

“well, that’s great, im kim jongin by the way.” I said but he just nodded at me, I don’t know how to continue this conversation, so he’s 8 years old, yeah, it’s been 8 years since sunmin broke up with me without any reason so is this her reason? I don’t know but I suddenly felt bitter about it. So before I think further, I avert my attention to the boy in front of me.

“you see, it happen so sudden, I didn’t know how to react, yes I was shocked, just yesterday I am single then this morning I became a single father, it just so cliché.” Why may I even explaining it to a kid. God jongin are you going crazy now?

“I know it took you by surprise, I promise not to burden you, please take care of me” I got shiver run down my spine, how the hell this kid words were as cold as ice.

“no need to say that, I will take good care of you so don’t worry okay?” I tried to act calm, to put a simple smile but all he just looked at me with those cold eyes and nodded.

“by the way, did you eat already? I’ll cook for you, come on” even before he utter a word I already grad his hand and drag him in the kitchen. As soon as my skin got contact with his I felt this tingly and warm feeling inside me, I don’t understand but it gave this calm feeling I never felt before, it’s like I got electric shock. I made him seat on the dining table but as soon as release his hand I suddenly felt cold and empty, why is it like that? I just shrug it off and went to look something to cook.

“do you like bacons?” I asked him as I looked at him, he was staring at me with those eyes again, his eyes, there is really something about his eyes.

“I’ve never ate bacon before” he emotionless said, I gaped at him. Is he serious?

“the shelter didn’t let us eat such expensive food” he added, I furrowed my eyebrows, how come bacon become expensive.

“no, it’s not expensive, I’ll cook bacon for you okay? You’ll like it” I gave him my sweet smile, I expect him to smile back at me but he just nodded at me emotionless. I just shrug it off and continue to cook for him. I can’t help but to think what kind of life he experienced in the shelter for 3 years and why the hell sunmin abandoned him. She can just give him to me if he was really my son and not just abandoned him helplessly. My heart suddenly felt pain inside like something small was pricking me, I felt pity for the boy, he experienced something like that at his young age, I suddenly got this feeling that I want to take care of him, to protect him. And in that moment, I’ve decided to take him.

 

“ I can say that this documents were believable” kris hyung said after he put the papers down just then tao took it and look at it. After we ate breakfast I called my friends to come over, I wanted to hear their opinion regarding this matter. Minjong is currently in the living room watching some cartoons while we are here in my kitchen talking.

“that’s what I thought too” tao chimed in, we just rolled our eyes at him, he just shrug his shoulder innocently.

“so, you are saying that this lady suddenly claim that you are this little boy’s father?” sehun asked while munching the apple that he snatch from kyungsoo.

“well, it sounds like that but with complete documents, she just didn’t tell me, she also have proof though” I said as I seat beside kyungsoo who was busy peeling some fruits for minjong.

“it’s so sudden” I just nodded at them unconsciously.

“so what are your plans now?” minseok hyung asked, honestly I don’t have plans yet, I just want him to be here with me, to be in my life.

“for the meantime, I’ll take care of him then we will have the DNA test” I said, half of them agreed to me while the other half were looking at me worriedly.

“what if the test is negative, what will you do after” luhan hyung asked, honestly I don’t know, I just want the feeling when he was near me. God, what am I feeling right now.

“I’ll take him back to the shelter then”I casually said, I don’t know if it was coming from my heart or I just blurted it out.

 

The next day I woke up earlier from what I used to, remembering I have now someone to take care of. I immediately stood up and went to the room beside mine where minjong was settled yesterday but when I open the door, I found it empty. I scratch my head confused to where he was, when I reached he kitchen, I saw him sitting alone while munching some cereals, I don’t know what I feel, he seems peaceful eating alone, but I realize we are going to live with each other for the meantime, we need to make it work out between us.

“you woke up early” I said as I seat in front of him before I put cereals in my bowl.

“it was already 8 am though” he casually said. Well nice blocked jongin, I cleared my throat before I put milk in my bowl.

“do you like this cereals or do you prefer a brand? We can go grocery shopping later so you can choose what you like” I said, maybe in this way I can make him open up to me. He stared at me for a mere second, I suddenly got lost on how sad his eyes were.

“no, anything is fine with me, I don’t want to cause you any trouble” woah, this boy is really something.

“no, you are not causing any trouble, and I wanted to do this, to make you happy, to work things out between us” I smiled at him, I am sincere though, I suddenly soften seeing that his eyes show another emotion aside from the coldness I always saw. I saw a glint in his eyes, excitement perhaps or it can be hope.

“I will take care of you from now on so please don’t stop me from doing this things to you” my heart felt like it want to jump from my chest seeing he smiled at me a little, yes it was a little smile but smile was still a smile.

“great, so we are okay now, after you ate breakfast go take a bath because im going to enroll you to the school nearby” his stop from what he was doing, I thought he didn’t like the idea of going to school, but I saw the look in his eyes, the coldness was already gone, it was replace with happiness, I think I shot his soft spot already, I chuckled silently.

“you like it?” he just nodded at me shyly. Then my hand suddenly move towards his head and the next thing I know I was already ruffling his hair, he kinda look shocked too but smiled afterwards. What is this feeling again?

It’s been already 2 months since I took minjong in my life, I don’t think that my dull life will be this colorful now that I have minjong, he already open up to me. He wasn’t awkward with me anymore. And my friends find him really cute, I say the same though. Actually every time I stare at him I always found something that connects to me, they said he look like me, some say he have my eyes and lips. I just always smile and said “of course, he was awesome like me”. The feeling I get whenever those words rolled out from my mouth, is so fulfilling. He enjoyed being in school too. But it’s already two months but I never heard him call me appa, he always call me mr kim or mr jongin, I wanted to call me appa too, to hear it from his voice but I can’t force him. The hyungs said that time will come and it can take me by surprise, but I waited for so long now. I wanted to know how it felt when I heard his voice calling me appa all over.

“minjong ah tomorrow is your family day?” we are currently sitting in the living room when minjong suddenly gave this invitation for their school annual family day.

“neh, they said I should bring my parents or my guardian with me tomorrow” woah, I know how this family day works, I think it will be fun.

“do you want to bring the other uncles too with us” I asked him, I know im not enough and beside he’s also close with my friends and they considered him as their family too.

“no, I only want you there with me” he shyly said, I soften at him, he wanted to have a time with me, my son wanted to be with me, it’s like im floating when I heard those words from him.

“okay, it will be fun tomorrow” I ruffled his hair, he widely smiled at me before he nodded. I can’t get enough of this feeling inside me, the feeling of happiness every time he smiles.

The next day, minjong was so excited, I can’t help but to laugh at him. We arrived at his school and greeted his teachers. I can see that he change a lot, from the boy with cold eyes and now the boy with smiles plastered on his face every time. Jongin felt happy knowing that he was the one who made him like that.

“hey minjong” I saw some kids waving at my son, I looked at minjong seeing him smiling widely and wave back, he looked at me as if he was asking for my permission to go to his friends. I chuckled at him.

“go to your friends” I said to him, he smiled at me and dash towards his group of friends. My smile stayed on my face for the whole day, the feeling is different, having a son made me felt different. For the whole event, we participated on the father and son relay, well we can only participate on the categories where they only allowed the father and their child. He was so happy to receive the award we got from the relay.

“do you have fun?” I asked him as we walked together hand in hand on our way to the parking lot.

“yes, I have lots of fun” he beam. I chuckled at him, he was holding my hand tightly while swaying it, his hand are so small, I felt great knowing that I was here to hold him protectively.

“I have fun too” I smiled at him. He looked at me with those eyes, his eyes that were full of happiness now, not the eyes that was cold the first time I meet him. He smiled at me widely before he let go of my hand. I was taken aback when he let go of my hand and dash towards my car. Then he stop in front of my car and faced me, he was waving at me to come faster, I shook my head and chuckle. He was adorable. I didn’t know that this moment is the moment that made my heart skipped a beat, which made my heart soar from happiness.

“palli APPA!!” I froze from my spot, did I hear it right? Did he really called me?

“APPA!!” he was waving happily at me, warmth suddenly flowed all over my body, my heart beats faster and my eyes turn glassy. This feeling was so overflowing, I don’t know how to describe it anymore, I am so happy, very happy.

We ate dinner at the restaurant and went home a little late, minjong fall asleep in the car so I carried him, I put him on his bed and put the blankets over him. I was about to wash up when the doorbell rings, when I open the front door, I found suho hyung, lay hyung and luhan hyung on my doorstep. And now we are seated on the couch, I know why they came here today, the result is now out.

“here, I want to remind you, whatever the result was everything can change jongin” suho hyung said after he handed me the envelope. I let out a heavy sigh.

“we know that you are happy with him jongin, please think thoroughly before making the decision to open it” luhan hyung was right, but it’s the right thing to do right? To know the truth, then I feel lay hyung patted my shoulder and gave me an encouraging smile. I took the envelope, I saw their eyes like they wanted to stop me from picking the envelope from the table, I took out the folded paper inside it, the hyungs was anticipating my next action which made their eyes widen in shock. I tore the paper into pieces.

“I don’t need to know the result hyung, it’s not important anymore, what I feel is enough to let him stay in my life, he is my son and I am his father, that is all I know from now on” the hyungs smiled at me and patted my shoulder while luhan hyung ruffled my head.

“you did a good choice” suho hyung said, I smiled at him widely, I don’t care anymore about the result, minjong is now important in my life, he is now part of it. He made me feel the feelings I never felt before, the love I found with him was the best, being his father is the only thing in my mind right now, I won’t wish for anything anymore because I already have the only thing that I want for all of my life.

 

*i wanted to finish it today but i haven't start kris story yet..:(

hope you like my double update..^^

like kyungsoo's story, i change it's story plot for the last minute..

and i hope i didn't disappoint you. :(

"sorry for the typos and wrong grammar"

my sister said that kai's story isn't that great like the other..-_-

but i still hope you like it though.. ;)

one member left..^^

thank you for reading..*