Storytime and New Friends

A Star in the Making

Minho was walking down the hospital hallway with Kai, Kris, and a couple of their other members when he caught sight of a large woman stumbling out of Amber’s hospital room. Minho stood still for a moment, catching the Exo members off guard, until he started running after the woman yelling for security.

As Minho chased after the intoxicated woman, Kai and the others peeked into Amber’s room and found her on the floor, hugging her knees and crying. Rushing in, Kris and Chanyeol lifted Amber back onto her hospital bed as D.O ran to get the doctor.

“Amber-ssi, what happened?” Kai demanded.

Amber only cried harder, beating her fist against her chest.

This continued until D.O returned with the doctor and a team of nurses, and the hospital staff went about asking questions and checking Amber’s new wounds.

Minho returned, his face blank, and immediately went to his cousin, wrapping his arms around her protectively.

Once the doctor and nurses left, after saying they were just bruises and that nothing was broken, and Dongmin returned, all eyes turned to Amber for an explanation.

“Where are the other Exo members?” She asked first.

“Luhan and Xiumin went back to the dorm, and Chen, Lay, Baekhyun, and Sehun had schedules. So Kris, Chanyeol, D.O, Kai, Suho and I decided to come see how you were doing,” Tao explained softly. Amber nodded.

There was a moment of silence before Amber took a deep breath and started explaining to her friends and manager about her past. Minho just sat beside her quietly, offering support whenever she needed it.

“When I was younger, my appa was the only person in my immediate family who cared about me, or at least acted like it. My older brother was always so spiteful and disrespectful, and umma was a raging alcoholic. She would take her anger out on me by hitting me when appa wasn’t around, and my brother would stand to the side, laughing, encouraging umma on. It got worse as I got older. I got so sick and tired of it, one day, when I was 10, I ran away from home. I was determined to leave umma and Daniel. I hated them. But when appa came home from work and couldn’t fine me, he got worried and went looking for me.” Amber started choking up as tears formed in her eyes, but she kept going.

“Appa saw me sitting at a playground across the street, and he rushed to confront me, but he didn’t look and a truck hit him, killing him on impact.” The tears escaped, but amber couldn’t stop, finally releasing all the pent up grief and anger she had been harboring for the past nine years.

“My brother left with his druggie friends soon after, leaving me alone at home with umma. She blamed me for appa’s death, and constantly beat me for it. I would constantly arrive to school and work with bruises and broken bones, but I couldn’t tell anyone. Finally, I had had enough of it and left. I moved to the United States to get away from my family and away from the memories. I kept in touch with Minho oppa, though, and he convinced me to come back and accept S.M.’s invitation to become a trainee.”

Minho smiled as he wrapped his arm around Amber, and she laid her head on his shoulder, finally feeling safe and at peace.

But Kai interrupted the silence. “But what about your brother? He’s still working for S.M. Entertainment. I’m sure we can keep your umma away, but Daniel is a different story.”

Dongmin cleared his throat. “I’ve already received a call from Lee Soo-man. Daniel has been fired and disappeared soon after that. In terms of security, I am not letting you out of my sights, Amber, unless there is a SHINee or Exo member with you, understand?” Amber nodded and smiled. “As for the living arrangements, we’ll need to get you moved into your own dorm. I have arranged for it to be on the same floor as Exo’s.”

Amber looked startled. “But I thought dorms were only for idols, not trainees?” Everyone in the room smiled expectantly at Amber.

“Oh my gosh, I’m going to debut? But I’ve only been a trainee for a couple weeks!”

Dongmin smiled and nodded. “Yes, but you’ve made tremendous progress and the company believes you’re ready. You’ll be debuting in August. As soon as you’re discharged from the hospital tomorrow, you’ll begin preparing for debut after you’ve moved.”

Amber squealed. She hugged her cousin and manager quickly, and then ran to the present members of Exo, jumping up and down excitedly.

Amber caught Kai’s eyes, and he smiled at her, causing her heart to speed up. Kai then walked up and pulled Amber into a hug. “Congratulations, Amber-ssi,” he whispered into her ear. Amber giggled and pulled back.

“We’re the same age, Kai. Just call me Amber.” Kai smiled and ruffled her hair. “You got it.”

 


 

A/N - This author is back with a DOUBLE UPDATE! Enjoy, everyone, and if you have time, or would like to, please check out my other two ongoing fics Luhan, I'm Smiling and Buried Alive.

Thanks again, and don't forget to comment, subscribe, and upvote. I love hearing from you guys!